Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Tubi TV just added TCM 2 , Unsane (Tenebrae) , Puppet Master 2, Versus, From Beyond , Solar Babies, Riki Oh , Swamp Thing, Andy Warhols Dracula , The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, and Destroy All Monsters.

Which is a pretty impressive array of free horror to watch. From Beyond isn't streaming for free anywhere that I know of other than Tubi Tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Kvlt! posted:

i dont drink water i acquire all the energy i need thru kale

i still need to see mandy somebody come watch it with me

Where you at, roughly?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gejimayu posted:

Where you at, roughly?

youll never get your hands on my supple young body

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

PM for deets on KVLT location

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Isn't KVLT like Dutch or Norwegian or Estonian or something wacky like that?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't know, where does The People Under The Stairs take place

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah he's in Greenland.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

please stop spelling my name wrong the ! is on my birth certificate

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Fart City posted:

I don't know, where does The People Under The Stairs take place

Under the stairs.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hollismason posted:

Tubi TV just added TCM 2 , Unsane (Tenebrae) , Puppet Master 2, Versus, From Beyond , Solar Babies, Riki Oh , Swamp Thing, Andy Warhols Dracula , The Bird with the Crystal Plummage, and Destroy All Monsters.

Which is a pretty impressive array of free horror to watch. From Beyond isn't streaming for free anywhere that I know of other than Tubi Tv.

"Unsane" is the name usually used for the VERY heavily cut US versions of Tenebre, so I'm gonna say ignore that one. Shudder has the uncut version still, anyways.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Kvlt! posted:

youll never get your hands on my supple young body

You're protected. Id be down for some sort of goon live stream of this but itd feel shameful to draw attention from the visuals with you assholes spamming gootecks or whatever.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

King Vidiot posted:

Under the stairs.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gejimayu posted:

You're protected. Id be down for some sort of goon live stream of this but itd feel shameful to draw attention from the visuals with you assholes spamming gootecks or whatever.

If Mandy can survive c-spam chat it can handle y'all

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

CelticPredator posted:

Hereditary is the best loving movie

Just watched it for the first time today.

I wasn’t sure what to expect and I’m glad since it’s more than one movie. It’s shot wonderfully, I really loved how some scenes made it look like they were in a model house. The first 2 acts are an emotional, oppressive, and yet still creepy enough to give me goosebumps a few times family drama and then it hangs a sharp left into a great possession movie.

Of the 2018 movies I’ve seen, Mandy and Hereditary are a significant cut above H4O and A Quiet Place.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Hereditary owns - it's From Dusk till Dawn for pessimistic family dramas instead of crime thrillers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched Lifeforce.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

please stop spelling my name wrong the ! is on my birth certificate

My apologies, Kvlt!. I did not mean to disrespect you.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Hereditary is a very pretty film and Collete has a great performance, but the movie just comes off as very shallow to me. The wretchedness of the family's existence was something that really doesn't give the audience a way to really connect with the character or feel tension in the horror. The Witch tells a very similar story in a much more devastating fashion because it actually felt like a family of real people being gradually torn apart.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

STAC Goat posted:

I just watched Lifeforce.

Lifeforce is fuckin' amazing

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hereditary is a very pretty film and Collete has a great performance, but the movie just comes off as very shallow to me. The wretchedness of the family's existence was something that really doesn't give the audience a way to really connect with the character or feel tension in the horror. The Witch tells a very similar story in a much more devastating fashion because it actually felt like a family of real people being gradually torn apart.

I think your mileage may vary depending on what your own family is like, because the family in Hereditary felt very real to me, and was one of the reasons it was so unsettling.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

My apologies, Kvlt!. I did not mean to disrespect you.

dont worry i still love you <3

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
So I just watched Waxwork II: Lost in Time and holy poo poo it was fuckin great. I didn’t expect much and only watched it because it was in the Vestron release with the first one, but I loved it. Really cartoony and campy, like the first one but even more so. They don’t really travel through time, it’s more like jumping between different horror movies - there are riffs on Alien, Frankenstein, and The Haunting, amongst others. The Haunting one is in black and white and features Bruce Campbell, and it has a great slapstick bit at the end.

Also there is a scene where Frankenstein’s monster squeezes Baron Frankenstein’s head so hard that his brain pops out of his skull and shoots across the room. David Carradine shows up at one point. And it ends with a goddamn rap song and dance bit over the end credits. I was dying laughing.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Has there been discussion about Tumbbad in this thread? It reminded me a lot of Pans Labyrinth, but uses Indian folklore instead of European. The budget shows in some of the CGI unfortunately, but overall I enjoyed it. It's free on Prime now.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

has anyone seen gehenna where death lives is it good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I watched Rampant (2018) the S Korean Zombie Period piece film from the studio that did Train to Busain. Overall its pretty good and honestly well choreographed sword on zombie action ( although these zombies are a little weird). Anyway pretty good flick.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I didn't find the family at all unrealistic, maybe you just had a good home life

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The family in Hereditary isn't even as dysfunctional as a lot of actual families, so that's a weird criticism unless you come from really great home and don't know any dysfunctional families.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Hereditary's weird in that I respect the tremendous amount of research and authenticity that it poured into the occult stuff, but I also don't give a single poo poo about occult traditions and think the overt supernaturalism lessened the film.

It's this weird middle ground between "they were trying to make a movie that is clearly not for me, and that's fine" and on the other hand "there's like 2/3s of a movie I would have loved in here and then it completely undercuts itself in the third act, and that's awful!"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My issue isn't about realism, it's more that there is something about the family that seemed sterile to me. The family has two modes: falling apart and distant. My theater experience was a lot of people simply laughing at some of the scenes of this family falling apart because they came off more like melodrama than seeing characters you care about disintegrate. And while I know you can point to individual moments, I left feeling like a movie that I should love because the sum of its parts, but one I never really connected with.

But please don't do the "Well this means you grew up with a good childhood" stuff.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Timeless Appeal posted:

My issue isn't about realism, it's more that there is something about the family that seemed sterile to me.

It's because they're rich.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think melodrama a totally inaccurate way of describing Hereditary, but that doesn't take away from Colette's performance or any of the others that also were excellent. But yea it's still a horror movie not a 3 hour Robert Altman epic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kvlt! posted:

has anyone seen gehenna where death lives is it good

I enjoyed it, pretty well done for being low budget. I backed it so I was pretty excited for it, seeing behind the scenes stuff for it prior to release I was worried it was going to look like total poo poo but it's amazing what can be done in post. I recommend it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

The family has two modes: falling apart and distant.

:thunk: but it's rapidly expanding and breaks the forums layout

Real talk - they're on better footing than many dysfunctional families since they were at least trying to be supportive before spoilers happen

Pomp fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 27, 2019

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Free Hollis

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fart City posted:

I think your mileage may vary depending on what your own family is like, because the family in Hereditary felt very real to me, and was one of the reasons it was so unsettling.

Tolkien minority posted:

I didn't find the family at all unrealistic, maybe you just had a good home life
:same:

If generational tragedy/abuse isn't something that happened to you/your family, then you likely got off easy and the film probably won't have the same effect on you.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

how can u free that which cannot be bound?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think melodrama a totally inaccurate way of describing Hereditary, but that doesn't take away from Colette's performance or any of the others that also were excellent. But yea it's still a horror movie not a 3 hour Robert Altman epic.
I think there is a lot of horror that deals with family like The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Shining, The Babadook, Funny Games, The Witch, and A Quiet Place in which I was much more invested in the family and seeing supernatural/evil forces tearing through them had more of an impact. I can recognize the sum of the film's parts are amazing, but there was a disconnect that never gave the horror any weight for me because I didn't care about threat of this family's destruction.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think there is a lot of horror that deals with family like The Exorcist, Poltergeist, The Shining, The Babadook, Funny Games, The Witch, and A Quiet Place in which I was much more invested in the family and seeing supernatural/evil forces tearing through them had more of an impact. I can recognize the sum of the film's parts are amazing, but there was a disconnect that never gave the horror any weight for me because I didn't care about threat of this family's destruction.

Again, I am totally not doing the whole "you didn't grow up that way, you wouldn't understand" bit, but I do think that Hereditary can hit some... wildly personal notes at time, with the family dynamic. And like if that doesn't land, I could totally see the entire thing feeling very plastic and non-engaging. But for me, like I was physically uncomfortable throughout the entire movie. Even in non horror-centric scenes. I legit felt that the tension within the family unit was scarier than any of the supernatural stuff in a way, because it rang so familiar.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah, and to be clear I don't want to invalidate that experience. I mean I know I'm an outsider in this thread for thinking that A Quiet Place is a better film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

how can u free that which cannot be bound?

oh babe we both know he likes to be bound.

Or does he prefer to do the binding?