Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well this sounds 1) extremely safe and 2) not at all ethically hosed up, I'm sure everything will be fine forever with keeping a lobotomized capital-G God shackled in the basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

Well this sounds 1) extremely safe and 2) not at all ethically hosed up, I'm sure everything will be fine forever with keeping a lobotomized capital-G God shackled in the basement.

That particular cat is out of its bag, the 5 Voices already sang God into existence a while back (Praise be RA).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Crazycryodude posted:

It's maybe a bit of a split hair but the 5V weren't lobotomized as such. They were never fully actualized, fully sapient intelligences, this is how they were built from the ground up by pre Fall humanity. There are some out there who, if they were aware of their existence, would probably argue for their emancipation anyway but it's not quite like a Minority Report thing where Union is keeping a basement full of sapient beings to run predictions.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

:wave: Thanks!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Dog Kisser posted:

God I love this game.

D

MaliciousOnion posted:

agreed.

also im the rear end-analogue.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
“Why are we leaving an enemy behind us?”

”Because if he never knows we’re here, he can’t attack us or summon reinforcements. Oui, mon ami?” Okafor is skeptical for a moment, then sighs.

“Okay, that makes sense. But if I end up waist-deep in robots while you’re playing with a computer again, I will be… vexed.”

”Yes, yes. Follow me!

Ghosting from cover to cover, keeping out of the guard’s line of sight. You were born to this, although doing it in a non-spatial temple while piloting a multi-ton vehicle is a bit different than crawling over terraces in a hand-me-down jumper.

(MINOTAUR Sys. Roll: 0, Failure)

But you’ve prepared for this, and given the size of this place skirting the beast’s sensor range is fairly easy. After a tense handful of minutes, you clear the last of the pillars and encounter….

A metal statue of a chained woman on a granite plinth, surrounded by kneeling PERSISTENCE shells. You can’t hear anything, but //SCORPION is tagging a massive increase in local network usage, ontological attacks focused on Bo’s casket (statue?). Her defenses aren’t in the greatest shape so you don’t waste time with banter. //SCORPION begins intercepting the attacks it can, and you prep a counter-injection of your own.

(Teck Attack: 11, success)

Your worms and nonsense data slam into the multi-subjectivity, causing minor overloads and giving //SCORPION an opening to reverse their own attacks back upon them. Their shells aren’t hardened against this kind of full-out assault and batteries and processors explode under the strain. The multi-subjectivity collapses and the data-storm surrounding you ceases abruptly. You favor Okafor with an unnumbered grin.

”See? Didn’t even break a sweat, mon a-”

With a vertiginous wave the temple collapses into itself, becoming the data vault once again. Baby’s long armatures fold up a bit to fit into the much smaller space, and Amanirenas is shoved against Bo’s vault. An enraged bellow reveals that the beast didn’t vanish with the temple, although its much bulkier frame is wedged between a wall and two vaults. Okafor grab’s one of Baby’s armatures with Amanirenas’ free one and pops Bo’s casket out with a manipulator.

”Very nice, we are LEAVING"
She sets off at a run down one of the aisles, forcing you to gecko-crawl over the vaults in your way. A series of crashes and angry shouts tells you that the beast has freed itself and is trying to cut you off from escape. You reach the ‘lock a moment before it does, and pull the stuck doors shut in its face. The pounding on the other side means you won’t have much time before its on your tail again. Turning, you see that Okafor hasn’t cleared the other side of the ‘lock.

”You’ll need to keep moving Okafor, that door isn’t going to last forever.” You move up to her, but she holds out an armature and streams you her sensor data.

”Not advisable Pilot, we’ve got company.”

Bandits. Lots, and in all shapes and sizes. The walkway back to the elevator is positively clogged with shells and utilimechs, weapons trained on the outer airlock door.

A: Stand Your Ground
Try to jam the inner door and hold out in the airlock
B: Plow the Road
The two of you are in combat mechs. A bunch of DIY killbots aren’t a threat
C: Run Away!
The other side of the walkway eventually hits an access point. Try to outrun your ambushers
D: DIY Door Time
Okafor’s mech is practically made of explosives, and you’ve got a Thermal Rifle. Make your own passage out of here.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

D

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
D:unsmigghh:

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

BD

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

B

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

D

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

D

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
We did things our way, so it's only fair we let Okafor Do things her way now.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: C: Run Away!

The other side of the walkway eventually hits an access point. Try to outrun your ambushers

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Okafor's setup plus our own means anything short of an actual team of combat mechs is going to have a real bad time.

And not that we care but the station probably doesn't need any more holes in it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B

Sathzur
Nov 19, 2009
BD

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Field Guide: Liyongo
All of the background info so far, plus a coherent description of the Tumaini Incident

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A splendid resource. Link it in the discord channel and I'll pin it too.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
“Ah Pilot River? I can’t help but notice that you’re targeting the floor of the airlock with your thermal rifle.” BOUDICA’s voice pops slightly, injecting static into the comm.

”Ah Bo, glad to hear from you. We’re pinned down here, I’m making a new exit.”

The static in the comm channel increases. ”BOUDICA, RIVER. I will survive with proper cycling. But not if you blow a hole in the emergency reactor below us. idiot.”

You pretend to not hear the last part, since you probably deserved it a little. ”Ah, good to know. Is there a path we can take without anything serious in the way?”

A map of the area flickers to life, in far greater detail than the blueprints Yonas had. A line traces itself through it, crossing several office suites and storage facilities before hitting a hallway with an outside access port. ”This pathing steers you away from anything particularly explosive, if you insist on blowing up more Union property.”

… yeah maybe a good cycling is in order. You flick a few suggestions to Okafor over the tac, and she agrees. On a three-count, you swing Baby around the corner, her head/emitter unfolding completely. Hundreds of laser and tight-beam comm transmitters power up and blast GOAT.MAN at all and sundry. Behind you, Okafor punches a hole in the far wall with her RPG and moves through. You follow, covering her with Baby’s odd architecture, BASILISK, and shotgun.

(Amanirenas Targeting: 7, Success)
(Utilibots vs Amanirenas: 0, Failure [Stunned])
(Subalterns vs Baby: 19, Success)
(Subalterns vs Baby: 12, Success [Baby will take Critical Damage on the next hit])
(Baby vs Subalterns: 21, Success)

The utilibots are unable to land hits on Okafor and the BASILISK quickly renders them inert. The subaltern teams have better luck targeting Baby directly, scoring a few deep hits before falling behind the two of you due to the rubble you’re leaving in your wake.

At last, a wall gives way revealing a sizeable corridor. The two of you pause for a moment, realizing that you’ve left your pursuers far behind. Ahead is the airlock to the tower exterior and its maintenance lift. Chuckling to yourself, you angle Baby forwards.

”See mon ami, nothing to wor-” Proximity alarms go off in your cockpit, and your side-view shows the wall… evaporating before the charge of the bellowing mech from the data vault.

(MINOTAUR Ram vs Baby: 19, Success)

You can’t get Baby moving in time and the mech slams you into the far wall, through the far wall. Through the exterior wall, your screens suddenly full of daylight.

(Baby Agility: 12, Success)
(Minotaur METAFOLD CARVER vs Baby: 16, Success)

You reach out with one of Baby’s armatures and grab onto an edge, violently halting your flight. But there’s another wave of vertigo and you’re suddenly 30 meters from the hole in the tower, a bit of the wall still clutched in Baby’s armature. A kilometer from the surface you’re still in the lowgee zone, but that’s not going to last long. The struts of your cockpit rattle again, a wheezy gurgle. Laughter, the enemy mech falling a double handful of meters below you.

”MY NAME IS SUE, HOW DO YOU DO? NOW YOU’RE GOING TO DIE!”

A: Bail
Eject from Baby, hoping that the momentum and your hardsuit’s mag-clamps will get you back on the tower’s wall
B: Ride the Wall
Baby’s EVA Module can’t halt your plummet, but if you can jam yourself against the wall friction might be able to keep you from splattering.
C: OAL [Okafor Assisted Landing]
Between Baby’s EVA and Amanirenas’ jump-jets, you might be able to make a semi-controlled landing. Maybe. If she can catch you mid-flight.
D: gently caress This rear end in a top hat
If you’re going to die, at least SUE is going to die with you. And who knows, maybe Okafor will come up with a brilliant plan to save your rear end.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CD

also did we just goatse everybody?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Hexenritter posted:

also did we just goatse everybody?

LANCER v1.8 posted:

Harnessed Basilisk
The BASILISK Directed Anticognition Hyperfractal is a Horus-script-derived liturgical code translated for chassis-tier engagement. Typically point-broadcasted from a communications laser, the BASILISK liturgicode is a memetic weapon that affects any who can see it, unless they have had the proper tempering. Survivors often exhibit momentary paralysis, corporeal alienation, and consciousness destabilization. Anticognition Hyperfractals are classified as paracausal weapons -- as of yet, there is no effective defense against them.
Active (requires 1 core power):
Extrude Basilisk
Quick Action

Your mech projects a horrifying Basilisk pattern, incredibly harmful to NHPs, software, and hard to look at even for humans (typically causes 3-5 hours of headaches and intense subdermal bleeding, can often cause blood vessels to pop in the eye). Until the end of the current combat, any target (mech, human, or biological) that attacks either you or any ally within range 5 of you must first pass a systems check or be stunned until the end of their next turn. A target can only be stunned once by this effect per combat.

Yes. Yes we did

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

PoultryGeist posted:

Yes. Yes we did

:discourse:

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

The minotaur isn’t worth dying over, and I’d prefer not to rely on Okafor here as her mech seems ill-suited to a rescue.

How badly is Baby damaged?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Minotaur isn't really the priority here. A seems like it carries its own risks but it's viable, though it means we'll be without a mech, so I'm gonna save that as a backup and go with B instead.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

malbogio posted:

How badly is Baby damaged?

So mechs have HP values as well as 4 Structure. Every time a mech goes to 0HP, it loses one structure and takes Critical damage (things like losing weapons or systems, or even being destroyed). The more structure you've lost the more likely a Destroyed result will occur, but there is a low probability of it happening when the first structure is lost

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CourValant posted:

Vote:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B a ninja.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
BCD

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
B

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”FUUUUUUUUUCK MEEEEEEEE!” Panic gives you speed, and you grab the EVA yokes and slam Baby into a lateral burn. Luckily whatever pulled you out here didn’t give you much momentum. The surface of the tower approaches.

(Baby Agility: 5, Failure [Critical Damage])
(Structure Damage Roll: 1 [Stunned])

Too fast. You’ve shifted Baby out of the station’s inertial frame of reference, so while you’re burning towards the tower, the tower is rotating towards you. You slam into the surface hard, cratering the plasteel sheeting, and bounce off. Baby’s systems wail, redline, and shut down. You begin to fall yet again, but with a final effort you slam one of Baby’s armatures through the weakened tower-skin before the servos give out entirely. Anchored, if somewhat precariously, you frantically begin clearing errors and restarting systems.

An alert pings for your limited attention, a proximity alarm. One of the functional screens shows you the sky behind you. SUE, rising up on a ripple of reality distortion. One of its armatures melting, reshaping into a large-bore cannon. It laughs, energy building. Enough to core you while you can’t move.

”HAWTSNYPAUWU, FROM WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY DOWNTOWN!”

A spiral of burning vapor stabs down from above you, puncturing SUE and disabling its ‘flight system’. It falls with an enraged bellow, its shot pulverizing a random section of the tower. An IFF pings, and updates your glitching squadview:

”BOOOOM-SHAKALAKA! DEFFO GOING IN THE HIGHLIGHT REEL. THAT’S ALL FOR TODAY MY FROODS, REMEMBER TO LIKE AND UPVOTE YA BEST GURL!” There’s an audio pop in the comm. ”Kay, mikesdead. Ya almost gotcha bacon ateon there Riva. Lucky for ya, ya bestgurl was on the clock.”

“Ah, yes. Thank you, mon cherie. Alice Un, oui?”
Your fingers fly over the controls, slowly bringing Baby back to life. A few more monitors are working now, and you can see the METALMARK standing perpendicular to the tower surface, about 50 meters above you. To your left, a hatch opens to reveal Okafor’s EVEREST.

“Are you okay Riv- oh. Hello… Pilot Un?”

“NIMROD to my besties in the biznies, which you two deffo are. As much as yagurl luuuvs dramatic entrances, I’m not just here for my ratings."
Sensor data streams to you, it looks to be pieced together from drone cameras further up the tower. Multiple squads of assault-patterned mechs boiling out of the transit hub, heading your way. ”I spiked Sally Main’s go at swiping yas blink-core, and he’s a pissed fucker. Give yagurl a hand?”
Its a good-sized strike force, made more tricky by having a half-function mech yourself. Bo pings a path back into the tower on the tac.

”I still possess untainted authcodes for Union facilities. If you can get me to that access hub, I can reboot the station’s defenses and clear the comm jamming.”

A: Make Your Stand Here

There’s no telling what you may find inside the tower, work up a defensive position on the tower exterior
B: Cover Okafor
You and Alice/NIMROD hold off the assault mechs while Okafor makes a break for the access hub
C: Once More Into The Breach
Move all three mechs inside to the access hub

Note: Due to the Stunned Structure Damage result, River will have a Difficulty (-1d6) on his first check as Baby’s systems are still coming back online

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 8, 2019

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

In spite of myself, I really like her.

Vote: Once More Into The Breach

Might as well make our push now while we still have the decently functioning 'mechs and ammo. If we don't bring the system defenses back online, we're just prolonging the inevitable.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gonna go with plan Into The Breach. Three mechs (in various states of repair) are better than two are better than one, and the sooner we get the station's systems back online the sooner we can stop getting shot at. Tactics-wise we can let Okafor have her turn at being a big drat hero while we hang back and provide support, and I imagine Alice will be doing flank-y, sharpshooter-y Metalmark things.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
FYI, the third option now has proper lettering. I may have been more tired than I thought when I wrote this up last night:doh:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C Can't think of a pressing reason for us to get into fracas out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

C ya later