Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm honestly going to be surprised if New Mutants comes out at all. Like, Disney has literally no reason to bother releasing that movie instead of just memory-holing it and making their own "New Mutants" movie a decade from now.

Fifty years from now it will be the b-side of a Walmart special with The Day The Clown Cried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its a horror movie that's also a comic book movie so even if you just release it on DVD and on demand it stands a chance to make some money.

Its not like its gonna be any harder to convince people to ignore than than it will be to convince them to forget about Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, its a horror movie that's also a comic book movie so even if you just release it on DVD and on demand it stands a chance to make some money.

Its not like its gonna be any harder to convince people to ignore than than it will be to convince them to forget about Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart.

Money that Disney doesn't really need, that would partly (due to royalties and Fox still presumably being entitled to a chunk) go to the people that current Marvel execs DO NOT LIKE. It wouldn't really be any different from the Corman Fantastic Four getting memory-holed, except that New Mutants looks like a somewhat better movie that was actually at one point meant for human consumption.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's the weird part to me about all the tweaks and reshoots and push-backs. You're making a mid-budget horror/superhero movie. It's almost guaranteed to make money. Why would you gently caress with that?

It possibly ending up being dumped on Hulu would be a sad/funny end.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, that's the weird part to me about all the tweaks and reshoots and push-backs. You're making a mid-budget horror/superhero movie. It's almost guaranteed to make money. Why would you gently caress with that?

It possibly ending up being dumped on Hulu would be a sad/funny end.

They basically took something that *might* make money by going viral and ensured there was no way it could recoup its cost. Whether it gets a theatrical release or goes vod, there's no way they can make back the reshoot dollars on it. Could be a rad-rear end movie for all we know, hell, might still become a cult flick whenever it is released, but it's pretty much been predetermined to be a failure at this point.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess while I'm little unclear on exactly where the Disney/Fox negotiations and rights are at this moment and who exactly is owning/releasing Dark Phoenix (I assume what's left of Fox?) I don't get why those people wouldn't just release New Mutants as well, even if just on home video/on demand?

Unless its just an unfinished product. Can't quite be as bad as the Corman FF but I guess it could still have some obvious hole or problem. But like, if Disney's got control why release Dark Phoenix? And if Fox has control why not release New Mutants if it stands any chance to make you money? What rich guy ever said "I don't need that money"?

Then again I recently got around to watching the most recent FF movie and those poor bastards had their movie released before they managed to film the second act of their film.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Disney is all about The Brand, and nothing is allowed to touch it. When they say they want to put the X-Men in the MCU, it's not the X-Men we know now, or have known for 20-odd years on film. CERTAINLY not the New Mutants.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jose Oquendo posted:

New Mutants. It's been pushed back multiple times. Still supposed to be released this year.

Well you see it was originally supposed to be released April 13 2018 and Dark Phoenix was supposed to be released Nov 2 2018 but then New Mutants experienced "problems" and got pushed back to Feb 2 2019, then Fox went "Whoaaa, get Bohemian Rhapsody out the door!!" and moved it from Dec 25 back to Dark Phoenix's spot on Nov 2 and shoved Dark Phoenix forwards to Feb 14, but you can't release two X-Men films in the same fortnight so New Mutants got shoved wayyy back to August 2 2019 and then Dark Phoenix got moved back again to June 7 2019 when the trailers tracked well and they decided to move it up to Summer. Gotta chase those Chinese box office dollars, baby! (Gambit was originally supposed to take the June 7 slot but that didn't work out.)

Alita: Battle Angel ended up getting stuck with the Feb 14 2019 release date. It was originally supposed to be released on July 20 2018 but then got held back and was supposed to be the replacement for Bohemian Rhapsody's empty Christmas spot but that also didn't work out.

Fox ended up with a big empty slot for Christmas 2018 so they shoved the PG-13 version of Deadpool 2 in there which netted them the grand total of $6 million on the domestic box office. Oh well!

STAC Goat posted:

I guess while I'm little unclear on exactly where the Disney/Fox negotiations and rights are at this moment and who exactly is owning/releasing Dark Phoenix (I assume what's left of Fox?) I don't get why those people wouldn't just release New Mutants as well, even if just on home video/on demand?

Films are locked into their release dates & distribution contracts a year in advance or something like that, everyone involved signed off on it a long time ago.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 28, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think its a question of whether New Mutants stands a chance to be "MCU" or released by Disney. I'm saying, "If someone's releasing Dark Phoenix why wouldn't they release New Mutants too?"

I assume the only parts of the existing X-Men movies that stand a chance to survive the sale into the MCU are Ryan Reynold's Deadpool and maybe the rest of his X-Force franchise. Especially since they can just do a lot of winks and meta jokes about it and just let him go crazy off on the side.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Films are locked into their release dates & distribution contracts a year in advance or something like that, everyone involved signed off on it a long time ago.

Ok, I'm flat out stupid about the movie industry in this regard. Talk to me like the idiot I am. What does that mean for New Mutants? Are you saying its locked into a date that won't come before the sale? Are you saying it doesn't have a date so it can't be released VOD? How does this work with movies getting bumped or moved up and occasionally dropped to VOD?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 28, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think its a question of whether New Mutants stands a chance to be "MCU" or released by Disney. I'm saying, "If someone's releasing Dark Phoenix why wouldn't they release New Mutants too?"

I assume the only parts of the existing X-Men movies that stand a chance to survive the sale into the MCU are Ryan Reynold's Deadpool and maybe the rest of his X-Force franchise. Especially since they can just do a lot of winks and meta jokes about it and just let him go crazy off on the side.

I think they missed their window, to be honest. New Mutants was likely greenlight following the success of Logan/Deadpool, but the studio got cold feet with something so weird being released, so they sent it back to reshoots, and then the buyout happened, and, well, it's just in movie purgatory now. I think it will get released - too much has been invested in it at this point to be shelved forever - but it definitely feels like it's going to get the dtv treatment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fart City posted:

I think they missed their window, to be honest. New Mutants was likely greenlight following the success of Logan/Deadpool, but the studio got cold feet with something so weird being released, so they sent it back to reshoots, and then the buyout happened, and, well, it's just in movie purgatory now. I think it will get released - too much has been invested in it at this point to be shelved forever - but it definitely feels like it's going to get the dtv treatment.

Right, that's all I'm saying. I don't think think its gonna get a big theater release. I think its gonna get tossed to VOD and DVDs/Blu Rays and I think it actually stands a small chance to be a cult success if its any good considering it not only has the comic book thing but also the horror thing. And the horror genre is built around low cult releases like that.

I mean, it might suck rear end and just be a nothing after thought. But I assume it will get a chance to go out there and be judged for whatever it is.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I don't think New Mutants having its release hosed up has anything to do with the Disney buyout, it just seems like another example of Fox's baffling meddling.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

STAC Goat posted:

Remember how the Fox execs totally hosed around the 2015 Fantastic Four film and reshot half the film? Apparently there's something similar happenign with New Mutants. Collider.com reported that they were reshooting up to 50% of the film and adding in one or two new main characters and changing the tone of the film.

Edit: apparently they haven't even started the reshoots yet which is a bad sign.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

i mean, i'm not really much more knowledgeable than you are on this stuff, but my thinking is that if it gets delayed again past the Disney sale, Fox probably can't release a movie based on an IP they no longer own the rights to, and would have to work something out with Disney (possibly even selling distribution rights for it entirely) for it to see the light of day ever. that won't mean it's an MCU movie, but it will mean that whether the movie comes out or not is more or less entirely in Disney's court.

from Disney's perspective, this deal makes no sense to actually make. if the movie does well, Fox gets a last hurrah instead of going out with Dark Phoenix, which looks like poo poo; if the movie does poorly, Disney has their name stuck to a bomb. the only potential positive is short-term cash, which, they're loving Disney, they don't exactly need short-term cash if the negatives outweigh it.

so if New Mutants doesn't come out before the buyout goes through, I'm thinking it gets sent to the vault where The Day The Clown Cried is being kept.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I guess I was working under the impression that New Mutants got finished like a year or two ago and they just kept dicking around with it. So while they never finished whatever changes and final film they wanted in theory there's someone's finished film sitting somewhere that they can just release on the last day of school for some extra cash.

But if its just a half finished movie... well that didn't stop the FF movie. I still say release it for the gently caress of it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I remember hearing it was done and tested okay, but Fox wanted it to be more marketable so they ordered reshoots, and then it was decided the reshoots weren’t working, so they reverted to a cut more similar to the first version. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I could swear I read about it on Birth Movies Death or something

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know a thing about the movie industry but if there's two things I know its "comic book nerds" and "horror nerds." And I know if you release a Blu Ray that not only has whatever "more marketable" film Fox made but also an original "Director's Cut" not only will you sell a bunch of them but a whole lot of nerds will watch a bad movie twice just to see the differences.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There were a bunch of articles sayin "Disney is planning to release all finished and in-production Fox movies after the buyout is finalized" but that was apparently based on an article in the Wall Street Journal that cited an anonymous source.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well you see it was originally supposed to be released April 13 2018 and Dark Phoenix was supposed to be released Nov 2 2018 but then New Mutants experienced "problems" and got pushed back to Feb 2 2019, then Fox went "Whoaaa, get Bohemian Rhapsody out the door!!" and moved it from Dec 25 back to Dark Phoenix's spot on Nov 2 and shoved Dark Phoenix forwards to Feb 14, but you can't release two X-Men films in the same fortnight so New Mutants got shoved wayyy back to August 2 2019 and then Dark Phoenix got moved back again to June 7 2019 when the trailers tracked well and they decided to move it up to Summer. Gotta chase those Chinese box office dollars, baby! (Gambit was originally supposed to take the June 7 slot but that didn't work out.)

Alita: Battle Angel ended up getting stuck with the Feb 14 2019 release date. It was originally supposed to be released on July 20 2018 but then got held back and was supposed to be the replacement for Bohemian Rhapsody's empty Christmas spot but that also didn't work out.

Fox ended up with a big empty slot for Christmas 2018 so they shoved the PG-13 version of Deadpool 2 in there which netted them the grand total of $6 million on the domestic box office. Oh well!

Interesting. Where do you read about this stuff?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

By the time New Mutants is released, it's gonna be Old Mutants.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fart City posted:

I remember hearing it was done and tested okay, but Fox wanted it to be more marketable so they ordered reshoots, and then it was decided the reshoots weren’t working, so they reverted to a cut more similar to the first version. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I could swear I read about it on Birth Movies Death or something

I think it was Ana Taylor-Joy who said that, suggesting that the reshoots were to return the horror aspect of the movie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fox turning a big dial that says "Horror" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The MSJ posted:

Hey, this movie is still happening.

What the gently caress even is this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The MSJ posted:

Hey, this movie is still happening.

This is extremely similar to the promo images they did for X-Men III: The Last Stand and does not bode well. I mean not that I was expecting this to be amazing or anything but :lol:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This is extremely similar to the promo images they did for X-Men III: The Last Stand and does not bode well. I mean not that I was expecting this to be amazing or anything but :lol:

Simon Kinberg wrote both and is also directing this one. He wasn't happy with The Last Stand, so this is his second attempt.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I'm hoping in some cruel twist of fate that Dark Pheonix is the best X-Men movie and Kinberg turns out to be the Charles Laughton of superhero films.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Right, that's all I'm saying. I don't think think its gonna get a big theater release. I think its gonna get tossed to VOD and DVDs/Blu Rays and I think it actually stands a small chance to be a cult success if its any good considering it not only has the comic book thing but also the horror thing. And the horror genre is built around low cult releases like that.

I mean, it might suck rear end and just be a nothing after thought. But I assume it will get a chance to go out there and be judged for whatever it is.

The rumor is that it's going to get dumped straight to Hulu.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

I like this about him too. Especially in Signs. I find it to be wonderfully emotional at times.

The action scenes ruled too, like you said. The van scene is a pretty interesting way to do a fight like that.

I also enjoy how the whole turn in the third act hinges on comic book panels.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Glass whipped rear end. One thing I was very VERY surprised to see was how interestingly the action was shot.

Yeah, for as much mundane everyone's abilities were it was really thrilling and engaging how it was done. The Beast was barely stronger than a mid MCU level character.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm more interested in New Mutants than whatever the next Xmen movie is supposed to be. NM at least looks like its going to do something different.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Birds of Prey teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLZlrE8MrQ

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's amazing the Fox had a horror movie starring Ana Taylor-Joy ready to be released in 2018 and didn't do it. Never mind Maisie Williams, though I'm not sure when which season of Game of Thrones ended.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grendels Dad posted:

It's amazing the Fox had a horror movie starring Ana Taylor-Joy ready to be released in 2018 and didn't do it. Never mind Maisie Williams, though I'm not sure when which season of Game of Thrones ended.

One which had incredibly positive test screenings, I've heard. But it wasn't like the trailer some company cut later which went viral, so scrap it all I guess

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like Harley is trying to make Mr J jealous.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fart City posted:

Yeah, I remember this, too.

The MSJ posted:

Simon Kinberg wrote both and is also directing this one. He wasn't happy with The Last Stand, so this is his second attempt.

Kinberg must have some dirt on someone, or be lucky, since it seems like he keeps loving up and then pinning the blame elsewhere. I mean, wasn't he the guy who basically hosed over Fantastic Four and then put all the blame on Josh Trank? Kinberg also managed to keep his job at Lucasfilm after Trank got dumped for FF, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

Kinberg must have some dirt on someone, or be lucky, since it seems like he keeps loving up and then pinning the blame elsewhere. I mean, wasn't he the guy who basically hosed over Fantastic Four and then put all the blame on Josh Trank? Kinberg also managed to keep his job at Lucasfilm after Trank got dumped for FF, too.

I mean surely a chunk of it is on Trank since he was directing, but yeah a lot of the stories felt like weird smear stuff. Like apparently Josh Trank has dogs so powerful they caused like $50,000 in damage to one of the producer's houses (did they like, eat part of the foundation?) and that Trank spent the latter parts of the shoot completely unresponsive and in a tent?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I don't know what it's worth in the context of the full movie, but that Birds of Prey teaser made me think they took how Suicide Squad ended up looking like, and made it the starting point of an actually intended and fully realized aesthetic and god loving damnit I am here for it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:ughh:
That looks like a bad promo reel for a nightclub.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It looks like Spring Breakers but with Supervillains, gonna rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean surely a chunk of it is on Trank since he was directing, but yeah a lot of the stories felt like weird smear stuff. Like apparently Josh Trank has dogs so powerful they caused like $50,000 in damage to one of the producer's houses (did they like, eat part of the foundation?) and that Trank spent the latter parts of the shoot completely unresponsive and in a tent?

Though wasn't Kinberg the guy who did all the reshoots and editing? Maybe I'm making that up but I remember there being a big thread here back in 2015 about what went wrong with FF and I feel like that got mentioned there. Though in any case, Trank doesn't seem responsible for like half the movie, or how it got edited.

And I should point out that I'm not even that big a fan of Trank. I'm probably one of the few people who thought that Chronicle was just fine. But I do think there are bits of Trank's original idea for FF in the actual movie, and those are the most interesting parts.