Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

So I'm at the point where I need Kyanite to build depth modules. But it seems that all Kyanite is at a depth deeper then the Prawn suit can go, and that the Prawn suit is need to mine Kyanite. I know there exists some loose kyanite crystals somewhere, but plot-wise it doesn't seem like there is any good way to find them other then dumb-luck. Is this correct or did I miss a branch somewhere that would lead me to some?

I think the first Prawn depth module gets you nicely down to the depth kyanite is found in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

So I'm at the point where I need Kyanite to build depth modules. But it seems that all Kyanite is at a depth deeper then the Prawn suit can go, and that the Prawn suit is need to mine Kyanite. I know there exists some loose kyanite crystals somewhere, but plot-wise it doesn't seem like there is any good way to find them other then dumb-luck. Is this correct or did I miss a branch somewhere that would lead me to some?

You’re thinking of the second depth module. There’s a first depth module you can make with stuff you can find at the standard max depth.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I swear in the run I finished last week I couldn't find any kyanite above 1200 meters, and only a couple nodes above 1300. Since kyanite isn't guaranteed to drop when you drill it I ended up having to go below crush depth to mine the last couple units. Drop down > drill for 5 seconds > Bounce up and repair > repeat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Section Z posted:

If you ever want to bring the Seamoth around, remember to build any moonpools above ejecting your seamoth crush depth.

Noted

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:lol: that's awesome but you can put it at 890 and be fine! :eng101:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hahaha I should really have thought of this. I didn't use vertical space nearly enough in my base designs!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Section Z posted:

If you ever want to bring the Seamoth around, remember to build any moonpools above ejecting your seamoth crush depth :downs:

yeah i had a moonpool at 880m so i could use my seamoth as a quick transport for if i needed supplies (almost always titanium). once you know the layout of the lost river you can get to and from there really fast in a seamoth.

it is also the best location for a base just because it's really flat, allowing you to put down a bunch of exterior growbeds for all your needs no problem and easily build a large, sprawling complex if you so desire. plus it looks nice.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

Loading up my Cyclops (jesus that thing's big) for my grand expedition to build a new proper base next to the blue glowy tree (seemed like a good place?) in the deep green caverns. It's like packing for a trip. Do I have everything I need?

Hah I missed this before but I did the exact same thing :3: Up to and including an exploratory run with my Seamoth and dropping beacons for my Cyclops to follow, and writing out a full pen and paper list of all the materials I needed to build out a new base down there. I really love that area since it's a perfect staging spot for the "endgame" (such as it is) and also really pretty and chill to just hang out in and watch stuff swim by.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Podima posted:

Hah I missed this before but I did the exact same thing :3: Up to and including an exploratory run with my Seamoth and dropping beacons for my Cyclops to follow, and writing out a full pen and paper list of all the materials I needed to build out a new base down there. I really love that area since it's a perfect staging spot for the "endgame" (such as it is) and also really pretty and chill to just hang out in and watch stuff swim by.

The score there is nice and calming too...especially after the spooky techno beats of the Lost River.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Every zone up to the (lategame spoiler) inactive lava zone is intriguing and beautiful, even the barren dunes, but I thought the spoilered zone really needed a few more passes. There's just not a lot going on aside from the plot-critical business.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In one of the cave tunnels leading off the Center of the lost river there’s a big hole in the ground with kyanite easily in range of the prawn suit, if you have the depth module for it.

You’ll want the jet pack upgrade and grappling hook to get back out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Good thing I had the jet upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgMSazkbyQ

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ded posted:

Good thing I had the jet upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgMSazkbyQ
I was 100% certain that clip was going to end with you getting wrecked by collision damage with the wall.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does the prawn suit have any collision damage though? If a prawn suit falls from a great height does it take falling damage?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

double nine posted:

Does the prawn suit have any collision damage though? If a prawn suit falls from a great height does it take falling damage?

Nope. The worse thing that can happen is you falling so fast that you clip though the floor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:lol: that's awesome but you can put it at 890 and be fine! :eng101:

Yeah, I wanted a bit of leeway so I don't have to keep an eye on depth and also so I can do cool zoom-down-and-in drifts.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 28, 2019

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Just thought about base building in this game and how the devs did a good thing by making a big menu pop up with tabs and many rows of items to choose from. Only other game I've played in a while with base building is Fallout 4 and the UI for building in that is. . . just awful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Started playing around with Prawn. Game is now Spiderman. Even when it'd be easier to just jet somewhere.

Wrr posted:

Just thought about base building in this game and how the devs did a good thing by making a big menu pop up with tabs and many rows of items to choose from. Only other game I've played in a while with base building is Fallout 4 and the UI for building in that is. . . just awful.

The base building UI is okay, but it could be better. I mean it's heavenly compared to Fallout 4, but that game's base UI was abysmal by any standards, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a temp thing that they were going to replace and never did because the game was clearly released when they went 'okay, deadline's passed, time to ship'

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I was talking about Subnautica with a friend of mine, which reminded him they never got around to building the rocket after curing himself.

They almost immediately had to reload after his PDA glitched out and wouldn't close. :cripes: Then again he also had the poor luck of having a Sea Emperor waiting indoors previously, something I've managed to avoid.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Something that all bases should have is a somewhat secluded observation room. The music changes and the game changes the biome when you are in one so you can see a whole bunch of awesome Fauna. It's extremely atmospheric. I have one in my cave base in those caverns in the north east of the map where there are like 5 Leviathans swimming around. I think the entrance is somewhere around 350M depth. Cyclops can't get inside, but it does have a little garage area and it's a really sweet place, though completely pointless plot-wise.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Finally blasted off.

This game brought back memories from 80s and early 90s games. Don't know what to do? EXPLORE!

Got this one for free last month but poo poo I'm gonna buy Below Zero the moment it comes out.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Something that all bases should have is a somewhat secluded observation room. The music changes and the game changes the biome when you are in one so you can see a whole bunch of awesome Fauna. It's extremely atmospheric. I have one in my cave base in those caverns in the north east of the map where there are like 5 Leviathans swimming around. I think the entrance is somewhere around 350M depth. Cyclops can't get inside, but it does have a little garage area and it's a really sweet place, though completely pointless plot-wise.

Wait I didn't realize the fauna/biome meaningfully changed when in an observation room. That's awesome!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I might have to give my base a little Annex that consists solely of corridors I can cover in reinforcements so I can put windows on the cool bits.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Something that all bases should have is a somewhat secluded observation room. The music changes and the game changes the biome when you are in one so you can see a whole bunch of awesome Fauna.

Hmm, but did you place those windows with a Specific Scientific Purpose in mind?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

beyonder posted:

Got this one for free last month but poo poo I'm gonna buy Below Zero the moment it comes out.

Early Access starts on like the 30th of this month, but it'll be very Early Access if the base game is anything to go by. I'm gonna buy the thing then but not touch it until they release it for real.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Podima posted:

Wait I didn't realize the fauna/biome meaningfully changed when in an observation room. That's awesome!

Specifically it changes the "Player Biome" to 'observatory', which presumably has an affect on the amount of fauna that spawns. Not to mention the musical score and other such ambiance.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Where is the mod that links all the lockers together?

I know a goon created it but I don't see it on nexus and I don't want to check every page of this thread.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MikeJF posted:

I might have to give my base a little Annex that consists solely of corridors I can cover in reinforcements so I can put windows on the cool bits.

Don't forget to reinforce your moonpool since you can't put windows on it anyway. Bulkheads also add integrity without taking up precious window space.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Away all Goats posted:

Don't forget to reinforce your moonpool since you can't put windows on it anyway. Bulkheads also add integrity without taking up precious window space.

Wait, wait. Did they patch out the ability to put windows on the moonpool? :saddowns: (I vaguely recall having to aim at some insane angle to do it though, unless I'm thinking of other bizzaro item placements)

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

DropsySufferer posted:

Where is the mod that links all the lockers together?

I know a goon created it but I don't see it on nexus and I don't want to check every page of this thread.

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/31

https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/24

One-a these.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Section Z posted:

Wait, wait. Did they patch out the ability to put windows on the moonpool? :saddowns: (I vaguely recall having to aim at some insane angle to do it though, unless I'm thinking of other bizzaro item placements)

I have windows on my moonpool with no mods.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Away All Goats probably hasn't figured out you need to aim above where the window will actually be to put windows, or reinforcements, in a Moonpool.

Also be wary of doing so from outside, because they can overwrite the Vehicle Upgrade Station without refunding the materials.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I had to build an empty multipurpose room to hold reinforcements because I insisted on building every possible window into the upper floor and moon pool of my deepest base-with-a-veiw, as well as an observatory.

Huge fan of having a window on the wall of a moon pool the vehicle faces towards on launch. Nothing like making eye contact with the crabsquid I'm hopping in my PRAWN to merc as I drop.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Huh, I coulda sworn the moonpool didn't allow windows. Maybe I shouldn't give advice on a game I haven't played in a few months now.

Thinking more on it, I think I stuffed my moonpool with storage lockers for my various excursions so windows wouldn't have really fit, maybe that's why I thought you couldn't.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Welp about to go build a base near that tree. But before I do are there any other notable places to build a base? Ideally evreything except the scavenger teeth should be in the proximity. The tree doesn't have nearby Lithium or Magnitite that I saw.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Shouldn't the title reflect how we'll now be frozen in the sea?

It's kind of weird it has a sequel in EA.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Welp about to go build a base near that tree. But before I do are there any other notable places to build a base? Ideally evreything except the scavenger teeth should be in the proximity. The tree doesn't have nearby Lithium or Magnitite that I saw.
Even the times I skipped extra base building, I like to put at least something small with a fabricator by the Giant gun island for several reasons.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I think there is plenty of that in the river. If you want the stalker teeth tame a few and bring them down with you, along with some metal scrap. They should be able to survive down there just fine.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I built my base right where the opening from lifepod 2 to the river meet. I found it to be a great spot. Put a nuclear reactor and 4 rods in it and it's still going strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

dogstile posted:

I think there is plenty of that in the river. If you want the stalker teeth tame a few and bring them down with you, along with some metal scrap. They should be able to survive down there just fine.

Release 2 or 3 in the Tree Cove with some scrap metal or a camera drone for them to chew on!