Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the fact that officially they're not named kamen rider means they are not kamen riders? Like the argument that they are has even less evidence and ultimately it's a distinction that only bares meaning in specific shows (See Build saying the Steam Gun forms have static hazard levels and cannot grow while the rider system explicitly can.) The only argument that they are is "Well if you ignore the shows descriptions they're kind of the same thing and It soothes my brain demons to have them order such."

That comment about the Steam Gun forms having static hazard levels was absolutely a lie.

On another note, it's kinda silly that Build had Kamen Rider Rogue and Kamen Rider Mad Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

King of Solomon posted:

That comment about the Steam Gun forms having static hazard levels was absolutely a lie.

On another note, it's kinda silly that Build had Kamen Rider Rogue and Kamen Rider Mad Rogue.

I figure they meant that the Steam Gun can't raise it's Hazard Level on it's own, it can probably be adjusted manually though

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

also how do you raise a cyborg's hazard level?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

drrockso20 posted:

There's similar arguments in the Gundam fandom about whether certain suits are Gundams or not

I could see that.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're forgetting the Alternatives from Ryuki who are basically Riders in every way except they aren't Riders.

Yeah, had to go look that one up. It's been too long since I watched Ryuki

Monathin posted:

being called a Rider has some actual weight to it though. It would take me forever to get into it but the fact that someone is called a Rider vs Not is actually a big deal, sometimes this is extremely arbitrary and for reasons that are very bad and dumb (see: the Tackle issue), but there's a certain specific sort of statement being a Rider makes about you, even in Heisei.

I did another quick search of all the transformations in the Heisei era and I only found 6 others who have rider-like transformations/rider forms but aren't called riders: 2 villains from the Decade x Den-o movie, Alternatives from Ryuki, V1 from Agito and 2 Faiz Stage Show characters. Everyone else who ever transformed has been called Kamen Rider hero/villain/one-shot so I'm not sure what kind of statement it could be :shrug:

quote:

Also the transformation gimmicks differ as other people pointed out.

As I was typing an argument to that using the same three I exampled earlier (buggle, Ulorder, Woz) I realized that yeah those are basically the same transformation but different device/light show in series where a single belt design is given to more then one character.
BUT... an example of different tranformation but still riders I did think of are V-3 and Gills

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the fact that officially they're not named kamen rider means they are not kamen riders? Like the argument that they are has even less evidence and ultimately it's a distinction that only bares meaning in specific shows (See Build saying the Steam Gun forms have static hazard levels and cannot grow while the rider system explicitly can.) The only argument that they are is "Well if you ignore the shows descriptions they're kind of the same thing and It soothes my brain demons to have them order such."

I brought it up else where and someone said that Word of God Toei does not classify them as Riders so that is the end of my argument. I am wrong according to an official source and I am fine with that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey it's another Ridewatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqzKXuXGk0E
"The black body with electric power! Kuuga Amazing Mighty!"
"Armor Time! Amazing!"
"Finish Time! Amazing Time Break/Burst!"

And why not, a sneak peek at Woz's Quiz Futureing. With...some dialogue that they apparently forgot to redub because that's still clearly Sento, not Sougo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNCcAnCA8c&t=270s

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So is the plan to have every rider turned into a Ridewatch, even if they're not featured in the show?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

They'd be leaving money on the table if they didn't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

coconono posted:

So is the plan to have every rider turned into a Ridewatch, even if they're not featured in the show?

Forms too. The Ziku Driver's design lends itself to it, since the sounds are in the watches themselves so it could have an unlimited amount of them. The Driver itself has the Rider names and ages so that's a limitation, but the ones that aren't programmed (anything before Build, except Diend) show their main Rider's name anyways.

They also work perfectly, if lazily, for Ganbarizing, since they only summon the specific Rider for an attack if there's no Armour for the form, thus there's no need to add new models to the game for them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Again, I need one of these Ganbarizing cabinets.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/317541

more returning people for the sentai special. Not pictured but also returning voice actors: Tsuruhime, Ryuranger, and motherfuckin Tetsu Inada. Seki Tomokazu is voicing someone new, but he's always on Sentai one way or another so that's not exactly news :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

coconono posted:

Did you expect anything less? This is toku merchandising we're talking about. Especially since all you need to make new RideWatches is colored plastic and a sticker.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey it's another Ridewatch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqzKXuXGk0E
"The black body with electric power! Kuuga Amazing Mighty!"
"Armor Time! Amazing!"
"Finish Time! Amazing Time Break/Burst!"

And why not, a sneak peek at Woz's Quiz Futureing. With...some dialogue that they apparently forgot to redub because that's still clearly Sento, not Sougo...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyNCcAnCA8c&t=270s

Man when was the last time they did anything with Amazing Mighty Form

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Man when was the last time they did anything with Amazing Mighty Form

The Battride War games, according to KR Wiki.

Ignis posted:

https://natalie.mu/eiga/news/317541

more returning people for the sentai special. Not pictured but also returning voice actors: Tsuruhime, Ryuranger, and motherfuckin Tetsu Inada. Seki Tomokazu is voicing someone new, but he's always on Sentai one way or another so that's not exactly news :v:

Huh, I'm surprised Keiichiro is back considering how he's a minor character in the series he's meant to be the Red of. Especially since we haven't seen Kairi at all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Speaking of that special, here's Rita from planet Nemesis:

This may immediately be disappointing to some people who were hoping for a Soga impersonator in a big wig. However, her fashion isn't too far removed from Japanese Zordon, who was also a wizard looking out of place in white duds. So this may be a new character, but it may also be Bandora before the kid and the devil worship.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Craptacular! posted:

Speaking of that special, here's Rita from planet Nemesis:

This may immediately be disappointing to some people who were hoping for a Soga impersonator in a big wig. However, her fashion isn't too far removed from Japanese Zordon, who was also a wizard looking out of place in white duds. So this may be a new character, but it may also be Bandora before the kid and the devil worship.

lovely Rita, kaijin maid

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tomokazu Seki's role is named Gaizorg, and it's the Ryusoulger-like enemy that appeared in the trailers. More than that is unknown right now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Good, great. Wolzard loving ruled, and I am ready to put my trust in New Wolzard.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I hope he stays purple when he inevitably joins the team as the sixth ranger. At the very least, he shouldn't turn red or gold.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I woulda liked if they had done a Black Knight thing with him. Maybe even just make the silver parts black.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geostomp posted:

I hope he stays purple when he inevitably joins the team as the sixth ranger. At the very least, he shouldn't turn red or gold.

We're so badly lacking in purples that I wouldn't complain at all. It's an underused yet great colour.

The only ones that come to mind are GekiViolet, both KyoryuViolets, ToQ #7, DracoCommander...and that's pretty much it. Wolzard was only really a hero as the very red Wolzard Fire.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just downed the first two episodes of Zi-O (including 1.5 and 2.5). It seems... alright? Is it one of those shows that takes a few episode?

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

PMush Perfect posted:

Just downed the first two episodes of Zi-O (including 1.5 and 2.5). It seems... alright? Is it one of those shows that takes a few episode?

i found the first several pretty fun, but it did take a bit to get properly going in my opinion. (I was unable to watch the .5 episodes sadly)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

M.Matsuda posted:

i found the first several pretty fun, but it did take a bit to get properly going in my opinion. (I was unable to watch the .5 episodes sadly)
Do not miss out on the #.5 episodes, they are outstanding.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PMush Perfect posted:

Zi-O hits its stride around like episode 17, imo. Alternate-timeline versions of people are starting to show up and Woz is having a major existential crisis. But also don't sleep on several episodes of Decade playing both sides for his own amusement.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Zi-O is pretty mediocre until the Wizard arc (of all things) (episodes 7 and 8) where it finally lets Sougo have a personality and it turns out he's a greatly enjoyable manipulative bastard. Afterwards the quality only rises through the OOO and Decade/Ghost arcs, and then it enters its own territory and never looks back.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

imo it starts to get super watchable when Decade shows up. before that its starts to show flashes of greatness but it starts to become a lot more coherent. I really felt the tribute bits really detracted from the show.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Hits its stride at 17" makes me nervous. "Hits it at 7-8" is a lot more bearable.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The Wizard arc (episode 7 & 8) is legit great because it a dude who wants to be an inhuman monster for actual reasons relating to relatable angst over shortcomings in his life and not because he's the monster of that week. Sougo works out this convoluted scheme where he manipulates the heck out of everyone and sets up an ambiguous conflict over the nature of his morals. It's very good and clever.

The cameos are still super dumb until the OOO arc, but that's directly after Wizard so it's okay.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I have to echo the sentiment that Zi-O really improved when it stopped focusing on nonsensical tributes to previous series and started putting attention on its own plot. It’s still far from the best series and it does struggle to work with a difficult premise, but has started to come into its own. I’m far from its biggest fan, but I do like that they’re really starting to do something with the idea beyond coasting on nostalgia and toys.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
The OOOs arc in particular really begins to show Sougo's personality, and foreshadow some of the traits that could lead into him becoming Oma Zi-O.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
The more you watch the more you'll find the Sougo interesting, and the most recent episodes are trying to do the same to Geiz which is nice.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I want there to be a third Woz that exists just to support Tsukuyomi, the fourth Rider.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You're not alone, at least.
https://twitter.com/mok_love/status/1088324164195213312?s=19

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I hope Kamen Rider Quiz gets his own series. 52 episodes of him whooping rear end and asking rhetoricals.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

This makes me so happy. :allears:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The more you watch the more you'll find the Sougo interesting, and the most recent episodes are trying to do the same to Geiz which is nice.

It's rather impressive how the series started with a really bland yet weirdly unsettling Sougo, then made him greatly enjoyable but also even more unsettling because it became far more plausible that he'd become evil, and then filed off the unsettling of the first part by making it clear that he was in some really heavy denial...at the same time that it confirmed that, yes, Sougo will become the worst, most despised overlord, it's not a clone or a guy taking his image or anything, it's literally him in the future. And how did it confirm this? His incredibly dorky fashion sense. Those loving sandals.

Not to mention how Sougo's more wacky moments are a lot more unsettling when we see that his future self isn't exactly right in the head, even beyond the genocide, considering he genuinely thinks he succeeded in becoming the best overlord.

I think Geiz was always neat though, and I don't think White Woz added much to it. If anything, Geiz is interesting because of his own contradictions and how he grows from them.

Also, it's insane how we have two versions of the same guy, one of which wants a future where half of the world's population is killed and the other half is enslaved by the Worst, Most Despised Overlord; and the second of which wants a peaceful world where Riders of justice keep being born...and somehow, the first is far, far more likable than the second. White Woz is such a gigantic poo poo. Love the belt though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm also getting the feeling the Geiz in White Woz's timeline may not be the nicest guy ever especially with White Woz pushing him to do merciless acts. Itd be quite a twist if the Future Geiz in White Woz's world is just as much of bad guy as Oma Zio but in different ways

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Motto posted:

我が神

Yes, yes, yes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm still not quite feeling Sougo though. Despite the excellent part with him meeting Oma Zi-o.
It does seem like Geitz has pulled out of his Spectre dive. Woz makes everything better.

But I definately second the consensus that Zi-o is now finally starting to come into it's own.

Does anyone know if Decade will be back again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
LuPat had more of what you guys can’t stand about that show, but it also had an Akira-like explosion which nuked the Megazords and appeared to annihilate the city (though the Pats were saved by hiding outside behind their car of all things.) I have to wonder if this will actually be remembered next week or if it’ll be the old evacuated part of town that was going to be demolished anyways.