Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Sheen on sound? What the gently caress does that even mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Combat Pretzel posted:

*allegedly*

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Because it’s RA, I’m just gonna assume it’s all codewords for the different drugs taken before listening.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Combat Pretzel posted:

It creates a veil, like a residue that colors the audio

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

They are taking visual characteristics of the metals and are trying to apply them to audio. They have such a thin understanding of science, it's all they can manage to describe.

If I wanted to make up some bullshit about how different metals affect audio signals, I'd talk about molecular density and other chemistry bullshit. Not "sheen" because gold is shiny.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
But gold is shiny.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

polyester concept posted:

They are taking visual characteristics of the metals and are trying to apply them to audio. They have such a thin understanding of science, it's all they can manage to describe.

If I wanted to make up some bullshit about how different metals affect audio signals, I'd talk about molecular density and other chemistry bullshit. Not "sheen" because gold is shiny.

It’s also why black amplifiers sound dark, silver sound bright, and tubes sound warm.

There’s a cable manufacturer that posts in a lot of the Facebook audio groups claiming that the only way to maximize a new system is to start with the cables. Like, before choosing speakers. His arguments include he statement that “virtually all the magazines agree that cables make a difference.”

“Everyone says it does” doesn’t strike me as the best standard of proof.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

As has been stated before, all seriously moneyed audiophiles are retired engineers and engineering (in IRL life) is all about going with consensus as opposed to laws of physics or calculations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I want to see that kind of engineering then.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I want to see that kind of engineering then.

It usually takes the form of a fireball.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheMadMilkman posted:

Is that like Fox News' "Some people say..."?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

TheMadMilkman posted:

Everyone says sugarpills help with pain and a saline injection is better with pain.

The placebo effect in action

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ha..found the article the guy was linking:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/building-a-new-system/

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

quote:

Are you going to put together a new High-End audio system? Start with the cables! Read on to find out why this can give you better sound and save you thousands of dollars, now and in the future.

My name is Roger Skoff. I am a cable designer,

Completely devoid of self-interest! Such a philanthropist (also post/username combo)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Panty Saluter posted:

Completely devoid of self-interest! Such a philanthropist (also post/username combo)

And any audiophile favorite "sound signature", real or imagined from electronics couldn't possibly be caused by gross incompetence in the design *cough Schitt fanboys cough*

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I really like in the comments where someone calls bullshit and talks about studio cables and such and the dude responds with complete utter nonsense.

Edit: (sorry for the hosed up screenshot but its not worth redoing):

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I wonder how that guy would feel about a recording that was entirely digital.
As in, every part was synthesized entirely on the computer. No conversion took place in the 'recording' process. No mics, no cables, no speakers.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
He'd claim it would sound undeniably better if the computer was assembled with silver solder.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wonder how that guy would feel about a recording that was entirely digital.
As in, every part was synthesized entirely on the computer. No conversion took place in the 'recording' process. No mics, no cables, no speakers.
Those guys don't listen to music like that.

There was some huge rant I read somewhere about how the entire point of recorded music is to capture the signature of live performance and that's such a bs statement.

The only electronic album I see popping up in high end reviews with regularity is Random Access Memories which was lovingly crafted, probably over the course of many months, to have the exact sound signature of a 1970s disco album. You'd think these dudes would be into Warp Records stuff like Autechre or Squarepusher since it would push their system's limits.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 1, 2019

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

qirex posted:

Those guys don't listen to music like that.

They don't "listen" to music at all. They play Yello on repeat, and maybe Dark Side of the Moon from time to time, but they're not actually listening - they're fiddling with their cable riser, rewinding, checking again, etc etc etc. Constantly tweaking and buying new stuff. They don't actually listen music.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

The only electronic album I see popping up in high end reviews with regularity is Random Access Memories which was lovingly crafted, probably over the course of many months, to have the exact sound signature of a 1970s disco album.

I gotta admit that album sounds really loving good though. But I like disco so what the gently caress do I know anyway.
Even the vinyl sounds incredibly well done. I wouldn't be surprised if it was remastered just for that medium.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Even the vinyl sounds incredibly well done. I wouldn't be surprised if it was remastered just for that medium.

Any well done vinyl pressing is specially mastered for the medium. There’s the physical movement of the stylus that has to be accounted for, as well as wobble, the inner side of the groove is going to have more force against it than the outer side, so the stereo balance has to be tweaked, certain frequencies will make the needle jump the groove, etc...

Armadillo pressing used to have a great article on the idiosyncrasies of mastering for vinyl but I can’t find it at the moment.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Daft punk are giant nerds and I’d totally guess the vinyl mix was done specifically for the format

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
sorry for the reddit post but sometimes you gotta reach in the toilet to dig up some poo poo

Idiot tries 'burning in' his amp and ruins his $1500 speakers.
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/aqtdil/too_much_power/

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

There's some golden audiophile ridiculing in that thread.

Reddit posted:

I've always thought breaking in is just a stupid audiophile snake oil ritual which practically never makes a difference that's both audible and measurable. Your friend's ritual made a difference which is not only audible and measurable but visible too.

Reddit OP posted:

He's had the LS50s for a while now, I believe he was wanting to break in a Parasound Pre-amp but he apparently made a mistake in the process. As far as break-in I have no idea if it really makes any difference myself but he seems to. All though I think he got more literal effect then even he wanted.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Absolute proof that burn-in actually works. Really, audiophiles everywhere should be praising that dude.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AVS post fails Poe’s law at an epic level

quote:

better USB cables?
i aksded one o me girlfriends if she could provide a better USB cable
so i could hear what i\d been missing on the HiFi
so she shows up buck nekkid with the USB cable wrapped around her breastesus
so yea,
that cable was definately
better

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

grack posted:

Absolute proof that burn-in actually works. Really, audiophiles everywhere should be praising that dude.

From the comments:

quote:

Well that proves me wrong.

I've always thought breaking in is just a stupid audiophile snake oil ritual which practically never makes a difference that's both audible and measurable. Your friend's ritual made a difference which is not only audible and measurable but visible too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

synthetik posted:

From the comments:

I can't believe people would be sarcastic on the internet

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

Well, yeah. It was a joke and I thought it was funny.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is still going on at the Spotify Community forums, because Spotify still hasn't made any announcements about lossless (or even "hi-res") streaming. The main thread has been going since 2014, and people are still extremely worked up about it. You would think all of the audiophiles who really think it matters would have moved to Tidal or Deezer or Quboz or whatever, but they just keep whining.

I like to go there once in a while just to poke them a bit, see what happens. Usually it's the same old "you must be deaf if you don't hear a difference, it's night and day on my $10K rig" and "you must be listening on a cellphone speaker". You know, the usual stuff. I've tried convincing them that they're not going to get Spotify to tip their hand to their competitors, and that the bandwidth requirements are bad enough with ~200 million subs, it would increase significantly for lossless streaming, even with FLAC. But no, "muh lossless!" is only acceptable opinion.

Best one out of this round was "you're just ignorant, bitrate is everything when it comes to sound quality", I just love it when audiophiles try to act smart, talking about how you need a "digital audio converter" to bypass your soundcard and get all the bits.

It's kinda lame in the grand scheme of shakti stones and snake oil cables, but I do like how easy it is to rile them up. I'm not sure if they're just getting less creative, the outright personal attacks are much more lame this time around. Let's see if I catch a ban this time, I'll probably just drop Spotify completely if that happens, because meh.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 17, 2019

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Stay safe, brave poop-prodder. :eek:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Do we have any snake farmers here on SA? (Is that even a thing?) Because I bet you could sell literal snake oil to audiophiles, probably as some kind of cable rub. They'd eat it up, laughing all the way.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Tidal Premium had a $3/3 months sale and I'm enjoying it but I'll probably switch to the cheaper plan since most of my music time is on my bedroom system at low volume or bluetooth headphones on my phone. Sounds really nice on my stereo though.

I hate all the missing songs because of sampling bullshit but I own most of what I'm thinking of.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just finished a month with Tidal and I agree it sounds really good, better than Play or Spotify I'd say

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's me, I'm the audiophile. I just ordered a fancy DAC. Well not that fancy, just $120 fancy (Topping D30). I could just use the stereo output from my monitor with HDMI/DisplayPort audio, but the Topping has a fancy aluminum case and toggle switches.

Mostly because it turns out the DAC I was using is a piece of junk on anything but 44.1KHz, playing anything that's 48KHz results in distortion at -60dBFS and a raised noise floor (I did an RMAA measurement to confirm what I saw mentioned here). That wasn't really much of a problem until I started getting more music in 48KHz, since a surprising number of Bandcamp artists use that, and also Opus resamples everything to 48KHz.

Youtube videos are 48KHz, but I didn't really notice it there, because meh, Youtube sound quality. I had SMPlayer set up to resample everything to 44.1KHz at high quality as a leftover from before Pulseaudio implemented alternate sample rates, so I didn't notice anything there. Honestly I didn't consciously notice an obvious lack in sound quality, but still ugh.

I am deeply disappoointed in FiiO for making the D03K so poo poo at 48KHz, especially since it's marketed as a DAC for TVs without analog outputs. Shame on them.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 25, 2019

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Eh, the topping at least does everything you need at a not insane price. It does what you want for under $200, so I don't think it's a big deal

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know. It still feels silly, though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Topping makes remarkably good audio gear, so don't feel audiophile-level bad. Doubly so if your old gear was audibly distorting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was given endless poo poo in this thread for saying the exact same thing about my Fiio.