Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah you know me
and you know me
and you know me
and you know me
and you ERROR NOT IMPLEMENTED

Please do not post transcripts of your mother’s recent meeting with the local Hells Angels chapter, TIA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Schadenboner posted:

Please do not post transcripts of your mother’s recent meeting with the local Hells Angels chapter, TIA?

dad I told you to stop following me around the Internet you're embarrassing meeeee

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

uncurable mlady posted:

types dont guard against npe
that's why you use Option[T] types rather than null, and Either[T,U]s to propagate errors back instead of exceptions :smugdog:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dijkstracula posted:

that's why you use Option[T] types rather than null, and Either[T,U]s to propagate errors back instead of exceptions :smugdog:

yeah but any of those could also be null (or exceptions)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
gently caress i love ides. i had no idea "computeIfAbsent" existed

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

gonadic io posted:

luckily the check and balance here is that every FP :spergin: 's favourite thing to do in a code review is leap down the throat of someone who uses an interface that could return null or throw and not lift it into a None or Left(...)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dijkstracula posted:

luckily the check and balance here is that every FP :spergin: 's favourite thing to do in a code review is leap down the throat of someone who uses an interface that could return null or throw and not lift it into a None or Left(...)

any interface that returns Option could also return a null. this is my issue with scala: you can put all the layers on top of it you like, but you're still hosed

imo scala should not allow nulls at all, and then nullcheck all calls :colbert: then Option would be safe

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

is there a good comparison/overview of the pros/cons of the various nltk tokenizers?

their docs are autogenerated and pretty barebones..
https://www.nltk.org/api/nltk.tokenize.html

what's your use case? i'd try sent_tokenize and word_tokenize first

also maybe : https://textminingonline.com/dive-into-nltk-part-ii-sentence-tokenize-and-word-tokenize

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

gonadic io posted:

Xarn posted:

Here is a penny, buy yourself a real language.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fritz posted:

what's your use case? i'd try sent_tokenize and word_tokenize first

also maybe : https://textminingonline.com/dive-into-nltk-part-ii-sentence-tokenize-and-word-tokenize

nice, thx! i wanna turn some older danish text into word tokens, but if at all possible avoid splitting abbreviations which older text writes like "e.t.c."

also discovered theres a general "module contents" section at the very end of the page. nice doc template, dinguses :bravo:
https://www.nltk.org/api/nltk.tokenize.html#module-nltk.tokenize

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

seems the mwe tokenizer is the option for fixing tokenized abbreviations & such

https://www.nltk.org/api/nltk.tokenize.html#module-nltk.tokenize.mwe

ill try scraping a bunch off somewhere

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

ill try scraping a bunch off

scrape too much off and there will be nothing left :haw:

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

gonadic io posted:

any interface that returns Option could also return a null. this is my issue with scala: you can put all the layers on top of it you like, but you're still hosed

imo scala should not allow nulls at all, and then nullcheck all calls :colbert: then Option would be safe
oh sure, I mean, "~ by convention ~ we only return None or a Some, or a Left or a Right, we pinky-swear" is exactly the kind of not-actually-safety safety that Scala-touchers will blindly defend and simultaneously roast Java-touchers for

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

akadajet posted:

scrape too much off and there will be nothing left :haw:

:xd:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krankenstyle posted:

also our volunteers did too good of a job :sigh:

we have a bunch of mangled text that we want to correct, so we asked volunteers to correct a subset that we could use for training & verification of the system. i specifically requested that they not move words/lines around, i only wanted letters corrected but they went and did the whole thing anyway so now the diffs are all hosed up and practically worthless because nothing aligns.

god this is so loving annoying :argh:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

the diffs are all hosed up and practically worthless because nothing aligns.

This regularly happens to our codebase, where despite being provided a style and formatting guide someone will reformat all thier files before commit. Someone even managed to use eclipses handy 'gently caress my poo poo right up' button and reformat an entire core project. 10's of thousands of lines of code reformatted.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mod saas posted:

as someone who learns by example are there demo pages or whatever that have demo code and tests for it, with explanation of how the tests were chosen and why the test runs the way it does

I understand the purpose of testing and I've done some, but I always draw blanks on what to do when I'm actually in the thick of it.

it gets poo poo in either this thread or a grey thread for reasons I don’t remember, but I liked the book “the art of unit testing.” I know it’s a book and not pure examples but I remember it being pretty example-focused.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Aramoro posted:

This regularly happens to our codebase, where despite being provided a style and formatting guide someone will reformat all thier files before commit. Someone even managed to use eclipses handy 'gently caress my poo poo right up' button and reformat an entire core project. 10's of thousands of lines of code reformatted.

:suicide:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
edit sorry this is a safe space i forgot

mystes
May 31, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

edit sorry this is a safe space i forgot
Tell that to the white space that was mercilessly slaughtered at the hands of eclipse.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Krankenstyle posted:

god this is so loving annoying :argh:

and it’s volunteers so you can’t be mad at them and/or fire them!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yep

:negative:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Aramoro posted:

Your autoformatter not matching your style guide is definitely a horror of some kind.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jabor posted:

Your autoformatter not matching your style guide is definitely a horror of some kind.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jabor posted:

It's a bit of a problem . Our main codebase is about 900k locs, a lot of which was done a long time ago. We have a standard format now but we don't want to go and reformat all the legacy code. We might do a mass reformat when we move source control.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
can we start calling them "loc lines", like "yac yards"? it sounds so deliciously stupid and I think we could start a groundswell

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

early in my career, I was working on a government contract and in a ccb one of the govies managing the thing gave me poo poo because I didn't know off the top of my head the size of the executable my code created. I was also supposed to have an exact accounting of lines of code at the ready, too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

akadajet posted:

early in my career, I was working on a government contract and in a ccb one of the govies managing the thing gave me poo poo because I didn't know off the top of my head the size of the executable my code created. I was also supposed to have an exact accounting of lines of code at the ready, too.

Are you sure this "job" wasn't actually a bit part in a Community Theater production of "Snow Crash"?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Are you sure this "job" wasn't actually a bit part in a Community Theater production of "Snow Crash"?

perhaps. the gig was horrible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

"if it compiles it works"
~ literally one of my coworkers

they’re not wrong

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eschaton posted:

but that type of development has been deprecated since mid-2008, when the App Store was introduced

the only worthwhile development is native development and backend development supporting native development

i’m on a very slow road writing a web app

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

redleader posted:

the wife asked me if she should learn to program, before realising that she likes people and solving actual (rather than invented) problems

i’m kinda sick of people. well sick of solving others problems, especially old sick peoples problems 😒 old sick people who are price sensitive 😰 i’m way too soft and lame to be mean or anything

i want to work in an industry that doesn’t feel like it’s constantly tougher than the previous year. where things are looking “up”. can’t even imagine what that’s like lol

count_von_count posted:

Same. Oldest daughter is learning to make pictures with Processing.js, tho.

I feel like I need to know about this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ugh im never debugging a broken HMM again, id rather die

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

aaaaaaaag gently caress why can’t i get interrupts working in virtual 8086 mode, my 486 just triple faults

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Luigi Thirty posted:

aaaaaaaag gently caress why can’t i get interrupts working in virtual 8086 mode, my 486 just triple faults

more like triple fail amirite

also, its my rapper name

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

ugh im never debugging a broken HMM again, id rather die

Like, a hidden markov model? Made of math, the easiest domain of all to debug and the reason why mathematica is good as hell while being an old janky piece of poo poo?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

pokeyman posted:

can we start calling them "loc lines", like "yac yards"? it sounds so deliciously stupid and I think we could start a groundswell

is “loc lines” better than compacting it into “klocks”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Like, a hidden markov model? Made of math, the easiest domain of all to debug and the reason why mathematica is good as hell while being an old janky piece of poo poo?

math is for dorklords

never do a math irl, hth

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Krankenstyle posted:

math is for dorklords

never do a math irl, hth

do some examples on paper first, use them as test cases, when you make mistakes on the paper examples, those are the negative test cases. bam done. math code is easy code. von neumann invented the current architecture of computers to do monte carlos for nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

echinopsis posted:

they’re not wrong

actually they are