Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

oh babe we both know he likes to be bound.

Or does he prefer to do the binding?

usually we switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I just read that John Carpenter was developing Firestarter when Christine got greenlit. I love Christine, but holy moly do I want that John Carpenter X-Men movie so bad.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 28, 2019

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I havent seen Christine since I was a kid. Had no idea it was Carpenter. Is it actually good?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Robert Englund's accent work in The Last Showing is... not good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gejimayu posted:

I havent seen Christine since I was a kid. Had no idea it was Carpenter. Is it actually good?

It’s really fun and very underrated

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

It's extremely good, top 5 Carpenter in my opinion.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Christine is a legitimately great film despite the stupid premise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's kind of a symbol of how prolific Stephen King is that despite being involved in two 80s horror films about evil cars and famously being hit by a car, he's not the killer car guy

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Christine could use 3-5 extra minutes of Arnie becoming who he becomes because it happens kind of suddenly but otherwise a very good movie.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

TheBizzness posted:

Christine could use 3-5 extra minutes of Arnie becoming who he becomes because it happens kind of suddenly but otherwise a very good movie.

I think that would have been hard to do without incorporating some of the goofy stuff from the book that Carpenter wisely jettisoned.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I've never read Christine, but since it's Stephen King I'm assuming that Arnie fucks the car in the book, yeah?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Origami Dali posted:

I've never read Christine, but since it's Stephen King I'm assuming that Arnie fucks the car in the book, yeah?

Eh, there’s maybe some psychosexual subtext, but no. The book is actually one of the funniest things King has ever written tho, and not in an ironic way. It’s legit comedic.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Fart City posted:

Eh, there’s maybe some psychosexual subtext, but no. The book is actually one of the funniest things King has ever written tho, and not in an ironic way. It’s legit comedic.

I agree. The book was great, and intentionally goofy in awesome ways.

The goofy stuff would not have worked in a movie, though, so Carpenter made it less goofy and made one of his best films.

In an interview I read a long time ago, King said that he felt it was, at that time, the best job anyone had done of adapting one of his books and admitted that what made it work was Carpenter knowing his medium and keeping what worked and cutting what wouldn’t.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

quote:

Corporate Animals

Lucy (Demi Moore) is the egotistical, megalomaniac CEO of Incredible Edibles, America’s premier provider of edible cutlery. In her infinite wisdom, Lucy leads her staff, including her long-suffering assistants, Freddie (Karan Soni) and Jess (Jessica Williams), on a corporate team-building caving weekend in New Mexico. When disaster strikes, not even their useless guide, Brandon (Ed Helms), can save them. Trapped underground by a cave-in, this mismatched and disgruntled group must pull together in order to survive.

Director Patrick Brice brings together an unlikely cast of characters, locks them in a cave, and lets them go. What follows is a nightmarish study of human social interaction, all the while asking the question: What happens when people stop competing against each other and band together against their oppressor? Brice creatively weaves each character’s arc into the larger theme, playing their humanity against their animality as they fall prey to their base nature. Twelve people trapped in a cave, food is depleting, truths are revealed, betrayals and manipulations are exposed, alliances are made—what could possibly go wrong?

This sounds like one of those Netflix movies written by algorith.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gejimayu posted:

It owns, the scene of the car repairing itself is so drat cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Phenomenal soundtrack, too, one of Carpenter's best.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Carpenter shot the gently caress out of that car, there is some really beautiful stuff going on in that movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Carpenter shot the gently caress out of that car, there is some really beautiful stuff going on in that movie.

There were so many loving cars playing Christine in the shooting of the film.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think there were 16 cars used and only 3 remain since they mostly got hosed up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think there were 16 cars used and only 3 remain since they mostly got hosed up.

28 cars, and only 2 remained. And most of them weren't even Plymouth Furies but you can't really tell at a glance.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Dennis and Arnie’s nerd/jock relationship dynamic is legitimately cool and unique in the realm of horror, both in the film and novel.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Anyone else see the Danish film Shelley?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Hollismason posted:

I watched Rampant (2018) the S Korean Zombie Period piece film from the studio that did Train to Busain. Overall its pretty good and honestly well choreographed sword on zombie action ( although these zombies are a little weird). Anyway pretty good flick.

I thought you meant Kingdom, but it turns out that is the S Korean Zombie Period piece series released recently.
Probably gonna watch both, love South Korean movies and I'm still into zombies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ruddiger posted:

The video he shot for the 2018 version of the main theme shows exactly how much he didn't lose it, too. We're still only two things away from one last amazing Carpenter movie - him developing the urge to get off his rear end and make it, and the script good enough to give it to him.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Jedit posted:

The video he shot for the 2018 version of the main theme shows exactly how much he didn't lose it, too. We're still only two things away from one last amazing Carpenter movie - him developing the urge to get off his rear end and make it, and the script good enough to give it to him.

You’re missing a third, key component.

Financing.

He has said he stopped making movies because it got too hard to get the backing to do so, which is a sad loving state of affairs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Deadguy2322 posted:

He has said he stopped making movies because it got too hard to get the backing to do so, which is a sad loving state of affairs.

I wonder if maybe the success of Halloween will change that equation enough to make a difference, I certainly hope it did. Like, I'm sure before Carpenter could've gotten together 20 or 30 million for a budget, but he would've had to work for it. You know, tons of meetings and probably lots of rejections and all kinds of boring poo poo he's not interested in doing anymore. Maybe now someone will just step up and offer that no-strings funding where he can just make the movie and not worry about fund raising.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if maybe the success of Halloween will change that equation enough to make a difference, I certainly hope it did. Like, I'm sure before Carpenter could've gotten together 20 or 30 million for a budget, but he would've had to work for it. You know, tons of meetings and probably lots of rejections and all kinds of boring poo poo he's not interested in doing anymore. Maybe now someone will just step up and offer that no-strings funding where he can just make the movie and not worry about fund raising.

I’d like to see him get a Coen Bros. Netflix gig where they just go “here’s a bag of money, do whatever weird poo poo you want.” Whatever it takes to get at least one more feature out of him.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fart City posted:

I’d like to see him get a Coen Bros. Netflix gig where they just go “here’s a bag of money, do whatever weird poo poo you want.” Whatever it takes to get at least one more feature out of him.

I feel like that's more of an Amazon move, but yes, seconded. I'm all about Amazon becoming the go-to destination for schlock, horror, and schlock horror outside of Shudder.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Deadguy2322 posted:

You’re missing a third, key component.

Financing.

i heard the same thing about john waters and tbh id prefer a new waters movie to a new carpenter one

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

flashy_mcflash posted:

I feel like that's more of an Amazon move, but yes, seconded. I'm all about Amazon becoming the go-to destination for schlock, horror, and schlock horror outside of Shudder.

I’d kill for him to get the chance to actually take Body Bags to series like they tried in the early 90s. Carpenter running an anthology show would be so good.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

the weird thing with carpenter is a lot of his best movies were financial flops, big trouble in little china, the thing, they live. Like I guess now everyone realizes what a master he is but that was not the case for most of his career

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I watched Rockula last night after Choco recommended it to me a few months ago. I was in the mood for something light.

Every musical number made me cringe. It's one of those comedies where the sense of humor is embarrassing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

i heard the same thing about john waters and tbh id prefer a new waters movie to a new carpenter one

It's probably happened to more great directors than not, it seems pretty rare for a director to just cruise through their whole career without having funding issues at some point. The most notable exception I can think of is Spielberg, because his production company was just so wildly successful and he reached a point where money was never going to be an issue again.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tolkien minority posted:

the weird thing with carpenter is a lot of his best movies were financial flops, big trouble in little china, the thing, they live. Like I guess now everyone realizes what a master he is but that was not the case for most of his career

They talk about this a bit on the special features for The Thing, but like with Blade Runner, a slow burn tonally dark/weird flick had no chance in hell of doing well in theaters in 1982 when it was going against Conan the Barbarian and especially E.T. So getting notoriety as cult movies on VHS made sense in retrospect. Like adventuresome optimistic stuff is what folks wanted at the time, and you had quite a few would-be big fantasy/sci-fi movies that were majorly flopped and forgotten for being deemed too cynical (or too real depending on how you want to look at it :P ). Flesh+Blood and Dragonslayer both come to mind. Both of those movies are cool but got buried fast, and I'd even go so far as to call Flesh+Blood obscure until the late 90s which is kind of nuts given the folks involved in it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does this count as horror news? The Universal Monsterverse is... no more

quote:

“Upgrade” director Leigh Whannell has signed on to direct an “Invisible Man” movie. The movie reunites him with Jason Blum, who is set to produce the Universal Pictures movie through his Blumhouse Productions banner.

The move is part of a fresh strategy for the Universal monsters properties, bringing creative directors with distinctive visions to the classic characters.

Whannell and Blumhouse previously worked together on hit films including “Insidious: The Last Key” and “Upgrade.” Whannell will be joining Blum as a producer. Johnny Depp was previously attached to “The Invisible Man,” but sources say he will not appear in this film. He may be featured in another one of the monster movie projects in development, sources say.

Universal has tabled the idea of an interconnected universe and is reassessing how to keep the enduring characters relevant for a new generation. Sources tell Variety that Universal remains committed to creating compelling filmmaker-driven projects based on characters from the studio’s vast monsters legacy.

“Throughout cinematic history, Universal’s classic monsters have been reinvented through the prism of each new filmmaker who brought these characters to life,” said Peter Cramer, Universal’s president of production. “We are excited to take a more individualized approach for their return to screen, shepherded by creators who have stories they are passionate to tell with them.”

Upgrade was really good and fun so I’m looking forward to this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's almost as if a cinematic universe only works if you bother to make the movies good instead of hoping that brand recognition will push everything through.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Johnny Depp was previously attached to “The Invisible Man,” but sources say he will not appear in this film.

:thunk:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'd be happy if Johnny Depp were never hired again.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Its kind of fascinating to watch Depp look at late-90’s Robert Downey Jr. and say, “that’s the ticket.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

Its kind of fascinating to watch Depp look at late-90’s Robert Downey Jr. and say, “that’s the ticket.”

He's really counting on that career revival after the total destruction