Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yes. We would currently qualify for contact.

Unfortunately FTL doesn't really exist and no one is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cojawfee posted:

The prime directive is just hosed. So some race makes a warp drive. That doesn't mean they are ready for a whole Galaxy of aliens. It seems like the federation says "you've reached a minimum tech level, here's some more tech poo poo, you're one of the cool kids now." Or they are assholes and don't share anything. Either way sucks. The race either hates the federation because they can't have all the cool toys, or their own innovation is stunted because they just ape what the federation has. I think interest in meeting other races is a better metric.

It does mean that they're more likely to make contact with other species, such as the Klingons or Romulans, so maybe the Federation would like to get there first?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Unfortunately FTL doesn't really exist and no one is coming.

:smith: probably

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alan_Shore posted:

If you don't like Saru as captain I'll gently caress you

:same:

I'm even pretty optimistic about his prospects of becoming captain. He already was acting captain once Lorca was revealed as a Terran, and did a good, even inspiring job holding Discovery's crew together. Now they've put Pike in the captain's chair, but we know this is only temporary. And Pike lets Saru act as captain when he's on the away team, or if there's something to do that doesn't concern the red signals. Once Pike leaves, it would be the natural progression for Saru to succeed him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I would love Saru to be the captain, but this show is pretty clearly building towards Burnham eventually filling that role. She's got a lot of growing to do first, but that seems like a fundamental part of the concept. "Emotionally damaged but talented person learns to deal with her issues and excel." She's currently a character who seems a lot more suited to be science officer, and I know she made enough poor decisions last season that this thread at least might not see her as command material, but just from a show standpoint it seems innevitable. She was promoted as the "first black woman... protagonist." You can tell they wanted to say "captain" with all that stuff but have more of a story to tell about her getting there.

If that's true it bodes poorly for Saru. Either he never gets to be captain, he gets to be captain and gets demoted under Burnham, or he gets to be captain and gets killed/transferred. I do not like any of those scenarios. Heck, at this point any scenario where Saru serves under Burnham seems weird and kind of disrespectful to the command capability Saru has clearly already demonstrated.

So who knows how this'll play out. I might be wrong about the inevitability of Captain Burnham. In any case I like Saru and I want him to get lots of screen time where good things to happen to his character.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I've figured out where New Eden was filmed, it's in the unfortunately named conservation area Ball's Falls. It's in the Niagara region of Southern Ontario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfY153-F1g

Usually if I want to see local historic sites on tv I have to watch Murdoch Mysteries, not Star Trek.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Eiba posted:

I would love Saru to be the captain, but this show is pretty clearly building towards Burnham eventually filling that role. She's got a lot of growing to do first, but that seems like a fundamental part of the concept. "Emotionally damaged but talented person learns to deal with her issues and excel." She's currently a character who seems a lot more suited to be science officer, and I know she made enough poor decisions last season that this thread at least might not see her as command material, but just from a show standpoint it seems innevitable. She was promoted as the "first black woman... protagonist." You can tell they wanted to say "captain" with all that stuff but have more of a story to tell about her getting there.

If that's true it bodes poorly for Saru. Either he never gets to be captain, he gets to be captain and gets demoted under Burnham, or he gets to be captain and gets killed/transferred. I do not like any of those scenarios. Heck, at this point any scenario where Saru serves under Burnham seems weird and kind of disrespectful to the command capability Saru has clearly already demonstrated.

So who knows how this'll play out. I might be wrong about the inevitability of Captain Burnham. In any case I like Saru and I want him to get lots of screen time where good things to happen to his character.

I know stuff has changed a shitload since the show began but they did say that they weren't "following a captain any more". So it seems silly to make her one, I guess.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I mean arguably post-TOS they were never really following a captain so I don't really know what they felt like they were solving there? Focusing on one character I think demonstrably has made the storytelling worse.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Chickenwalker posted:

I mean arguably post-TOS they were never really following a captain so I don't really know what they felt like they were solving there? Focusing on one character I think demonstrably has made the storytelling worse.

DS9 is p much the new testament of bajor it def follows space Jesus

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Of bajor but not born of bajorans...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you get the show on Netflix, the shorts are supposedly in the Trailers and More section now.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It took me awhile to get to the new episode. Have y'all talked about what a flaming pile of poo poo it was yet?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

sadly, when giving orders Saru signs off with 'then on your way', which is a decent go-line but lacks the flair and dynamism of a true star fleet captain. dude's gonna live forever in the Riker-zone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jfood posted:

sadly, when giving orders Saru signs off with 'then on your way', which is a decent go-line but lacks the flair and dynamism of a true star fleet captain. dude's gonna live forever in the Riker-zone.

"GIT R DONE YEEEEE HAAAAAW" was already taken.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PostNouveau posted:

It took me awhile to get to the new episode. Have y'all talked about what a flaming pile of poo poo it was yet?

Don't stop now man, you've only posted this in 2/3 of the Trek threads. Gotta complete the trilogy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Don't stop now man, you've only posted this in 2/3 of the Trek threads. Gotta complete the trilogy.

There's ONLY 3? That can't be right there's 6 at least

Oh wait, you're the guy we've been bagging on in the other threads. Yup, just 3 Star Trek threads, don't go looking for any more.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 30, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PostNouveau posted:

It has generally been received positively by the majority in this thread. Perhaps you could explain why you thought the episode was bad?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Torrannor posted:

It has generally been received positively by the majority in this thread. Perhaps you could explain why you thought the episode was bad?

I wouldn't go as far as PostNouveau but I thought it was pretty mediocre. Largely because I've always hated the prime directive and any episode it features in. The Tilly plot was more interesting, but I really think the episode should have ended with her telling someone that she's been hallucinating her dead friend ever since she got zapped by the space rock. Maybe she'll do that at the start of the next episode but I suspect she's going to keep it secret for no good reason.

I'm also not a fan of the season-long story in shows like this, so I just find the red angel thing kind of tedious. We know nothing's going to come of it until they suddenly decide to move the story forward so reminding us of it every episode until then is just annoying. And the less said about Spock the better.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's some pirates of dark water poo poo they gotta find the thirteen treasures of rule

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I won't mind the red angel thing if they keep finding ways to put an interesting story into it as well. The problem last season was every episode was about the spores or the mirror universe. They can figure out these weird signals, but it should take a backseat to an interesting sci-fi story that we see along the way.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum posted:

It's some pirates of dark water poo poo they gotta find the thirteen treasures of rule

Remember the fuckin ghost level in the Genesis game? That poo poo scared the everliving bejeezus out of me as a kid.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

But Saru also used the ol' Spock and Data specificity warning: "You have exactly 2 minutes 11 seconds before the wave of radioactive debris crosses the point of no return" and then tacked on a very Kelpian admonishment: "Run, Mister Stamets!"

So his orders giving / sign off is situational.

Trek is best when there's an Away Team on a mission AND the ship has a task to complete and both are time-sensitive (and there's a technobabble reason why they can't communicate or beam out of a problem)

The Last Ship used the same split plot device to great effect and in similar manner. Anyone who enjoys Trek for the tactical space battles and action scenes should check it out.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 30, 2019

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

The Last Ship used the same split plot device to great effect and in similar manner. Anyone who enjoys Trek for the tactical space battles and action scenes should check it out.

AMERICA ACTUAL ON DECK

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Ahh yes. The ol’ DISCO thread. Where a universally positively reviewed episode still has trolls.

Oh wait. That’s two in a row.

At least the usual suspects have mostly disappeared for now.

EDIT:

Everyone likes episode.

“This episode sucks! Again!” (None explanation)

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I thought "New Eden" was a pretty good episode.

More than that, it felt new in a way that Discovery hasn't yet. We had a lot of TNG staples, but with a coat of modern cinematography, effects and budget. That beam-down scene where it swooped from the ship to the surface was just lovely. We had a briefing scene where people were just allowed to talk instead of high-speed gabbling at each other. An A/B plot that worked together. Crew that were nice to each other.

First time I've watched a Discovery episode and enjoyed it all the way through.

It wasn't perfect. Tilly's dead friend wasn't a big surprise.

Also, the difference between trusting your audience with a joke and explaining it to them:

Pike: "Just don't make me laugh"
Burnham: "Luckily for you I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny."

I think when Spock, Klingons, Emperor Georgiou and ex-Klingon guy show up it's going to get worse again. All of those elements are connected to Burnham in some way.

EDIT: Oh and it also made the first episode a bit less messy - it seems they were pulled to the asteroid specifically to rescue that engineer and grab an asteroid. I assume next week we'll find that Pike's phaser scar from this episode is in the shape of a map to Sha Ka Ree.

Dirty fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 30, 2019

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Binary Logic posted:

But Saru also used the ol' Spock and Data specificity warning: "You have exactly 2 minutes 11 seconds before the wave of radioactive debris crosses the point of no return" and then tacked on a very Kelpian admonishment: "Run, Mister Stamets!"

This was the best part of the episode and an example of getting the humour right imo. The characters aren't trying to be funny, it's just the absurdity of the situation. Something like Breaking Bad was very good at this, Marvel films tend to just use a goofy line that usually sells as comedy but undercuts the moment.

CaveGrinch posted:

EDIT:

Everyone likes episode.

“This episode sucks! Again!” (None explanation)

Come at me bro, I go into excruciating detail. But I'll usually try to point out the bits I liked too.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I very much liked the last episode - to the point where I was keen to see what happened next rather than just sort of slumped through the entire time. That said they really need to work on the constant and blatant expositional dialogue. I guess they're stuck in hard place trying to keep trekkies happy and getting new people into it, but it's a bit embarassing when Pike and Michael are pontificating in the most unusual and stilted philosophical lectures

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

New Eden was enjoyable but overall kinda mediocre. Like, so far Disco Season 2 feels way more Trekkish than Season 1, but there are a lot of things in the writing that make it clear that season one was, for most characters, a complete waste of valuable character building.

The roll call on the bridge was an extremely transparent way of addressing the elephant in the room of "yo, we all recognize these bridge officers but dont know anyone's name or what they do, except maybe Detmer".

Also I want more of the new sassy gruff smokers voice engineer. Team her up with Stamets for a good time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

I wasn't taking notes or anything, but the part where they were all the religions mixed together and they had a ritual that explained exactly their origin story was when I went "Oh boy this one's a stinker huh?"

And the crew had to like, logically solve why they were all religions mixed together. As if it made perfect sense and there was no other way things could have gone.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I didn’t post a big wall of complaint about this episode because it’s kind of boring. There’s not enough seriously wrong with it to be funny, but it’s also not good tv. It was more Star Trek-like than other episodes but not in a good way. Most of it could have run on Voyager or Enterprise with a quick find-replace. All this show’s standard problems are still present with the possible exception of excessive focus on Michael.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Tilly should be captain because she's the youngest ever command programme candidate and a genius and special. (which makes kirk even younger when he gets his commission?)

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Tilly should be captain because she's the youngest ever command programme candidate and a genius and special. (which makes kirk even younger when he gets his commission?)

I asked before, but no one answered.
How old is Tilly supposed to be? They're treating her like Wesley, youngest in the command program etc, but she looks 30 at least. It's weird.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

PostNouveau posted:

I wasn't taking notes or anything, but the part where they were all the religions mixed together and they had a ritual that explained exactly their origin story was when I went "Oh boy this one's a stinker huh?"

I had the exact opposite reaction. In literally every episode of any Trek show before this, there’d be some weird language the Universal Translatior couldn’t understand, or a space hippy talking in riddles; maybe trial by combat or an appeal to A Cuchi Moya to figure out how the church got there. This time the woman at the fire said “During WW3 we were hiding in a church, there was a flash of light, and we ended up here.” Finally! Normal behaviour.
It doesn’t answer the question, but it’s a reasonable and rational response: I was expecting some mystical ‘allamarain’ horseshit, frankly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lizard Combatant posted:

How old is Tilly supposed to be? They're treating her like Wesley, youngest in the command program etc, but she looks 30 at least. It's weird.

I mean the actress is 33, so that explains that. Though I think in-universe she’s supposed to be 23-ish.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

I think she's like a grad student

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lizard Combatant posted:

If you really wanna be spergy about it, we learned in New Eden what year she was in the 7th grade or something and we also know what year Discovery is currently set in, so you can extrapolate.

I think she's like 20ish but iunno. She was a fourth year cadet last season and Starfleet Academy tends to start at 16ish iirc

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

I was expecting some mystical ‘allamarain’ horseshit, frankly.

Hey we don't know what's causing the energy stuff or the red angel. Can't rule it out entirely.

I hope it's a sprawling 10-episode mystery that gets to the core of Spock and Michael and they both have to be broken and rebuilt and they finally reach the apotheosis and it's John de Lancie with dumb plastic wings on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

If you really wanna be spergy about it, we learned in New Eden what year she was in the 7th grade or something and we also know what year Discovery is currently set in, so you can extrapolate.

I think she's like 20ish but iunno. She was a fourth year cadet last season and Starfleet Academy tends to start at 16ish iirc

Let's extrapolate! Ghost Girl was born in 2236 and the latest episode is in 2257, so that's 21 years. It's possible that Tilly (or Ghost Girl) skipped a grade or something, but they're probably pretty close in age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Let's extrapolate! Ghost Girl was born in 2236 and the latest episode is in 2257, so that's 21 years. It's possible that Tilly (or Ghost Girl) skipped a grade or something, but they're probably pretty close in age.

Yeah that would be about my guess. I think the actress is playing like a decade younger.