Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hello Goons, it's your chairman That Works here presenting a Newbie Iron Chef - Something Awful competition (NICSA).

Like any proper Iron Chef competition, there is a thematic ingredient. The theme for this competition is beans!

For those of you new to this, or not a regular reader of GWS, here's a bit more info.

Wroughtirony posted:

What is ICSA?
ICSA (Iron Chef Something Awful) is a series of online cooking contests loosely based on the Iron Chef TV series. In each contest, contestants must design and execute a menu based on whatever theme the chairman has chosen. The winner is picked in a poll that usually pops up a few days after the deadline, and REAL PRIZES usually get shipped out in a week or two. The chairman has nearly unlimited power to decide the rules of their specific event. Most entries are multi-course meals where the theme ingredient is featured in each course.

How do I enter?
Post a new thread for your entry, and link it in the chairman’s thread. A typical entry will include recipes and pictures of mise en place and major steps, but participants are encouraged to be creative in the way they present their entry as well as in their execution. A chairman may also add specific challenges or constraints in their ICSA regarding how they want you to enter.

What about NICSA?
NICSA (Newbie Iron Chef Something Awful) differs from ICSA in that it excludes ICSA winners, regulars and professional chefs from entering the final poll. (You can still enter if you work the line at Applebees.) The spirit of NICSA is to encourage as many people as possible to participate with a chance of winning, since the regular ICSA can be daunting due to the number of culinary heavy hitters who regularly enter.

Am I a regular or a newbie?
If you have to ask, you’re probably a newbie. If you're a novice cook, even if you've posted a bunch of times, go ahead and enter. Worst case scenario is you cook an awesome thing and don't get to be in the voting. PM your chairman if you are really on the fence.

What do you need to cook?

3 courses: main, side and dessert. All 3 must include beans or products from beans of some kind. A truly good entry will try to use the beans as a featured element, not just something thrown in that could easily be removed and still have a great dish.

Ok but beans for dessert?

If you need some inspiration there are numerous sweet desserts built around adzuki beans (red mung bean) and also there are a lot of ways to use aquafaba from cooking beans, potentially in your other course(s). So, try something new. The whole point of the NICSA is to take a leap and try to come up with something interesting even if it's new to you / out of your comfort zone.

Submission Rules :
1. Post a separate thread for your entry, then post here with a link.
2. Please have your username visible in your final pictures. We prefer to see your steps as well as your final product.
3. If possible, please include your recipe so that other Goons can try and recreate your dishes for their own consumption.
4. Does your recipe have a backstory? Tell us about it!
5. Have fun, and be creative. The theme is quite open to interpretation.
6. Questions? Ask in the thread or PM your Chairman.

How do I win?

There will be a voting thread open to all after the entry date has passed. The chairman (me) will also select an individual based either on humor, creativity, or whatever the hell amused me the most.

What do I win?

1st place: $100 gift certificate to Amazon (or equivalent value elsewhere at winners request if desired).
2nd place: $25 gift certificate to Amazon (or equivalent value elsewhere at winners request if desired).
3rd place: the joy of participation
Chairman's prize: Forums upgrade / avatar cert. Possibly more if I am flush with cash at the end of the competition.

You have until Midnight, Sunday February 17 Friday, March 1 to submit an entry and voting will take place through the following Friday. Winners will be announced that following weekend.

Good luck all!

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:same:

I'm in! I was wondering if you'd require dessert to follow theme, thanks for pushing us to do the thing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

:same:

I'm in! I was wondering if you'd require dessert to follow theme, thanks for pushing us to do the thing.

Are you a newbie?

Change this to a regular ICSA, I want to cook with beans.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic posted:

Are you a newbie?

Yes? I didn't medal the only other ICSA I've done and I've only been posting in GWS for about a year I think. But I'm happy to enter a non-official entry if it encourages more new blood.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
who gives a gently caress. enough of us have been around long enough to say someone is disqualified, just do the drat thing and we'll shame anyone too good (we won't) im just thinkin bout thos beans

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

Are you a newbie?

I could maybe work up a nicer chairman's prize for non newbies if we don't get a lot of entries. Let's see how it goes I'm too drunk to decide tonight.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Newbie here, I kind of inspired the resurrection of NICSA. This is my first time, so quick point of clarification. I create/link just one thread for all 3 of my courses, correct? Or are we doing a first course round (1 thread), second, third; 3 threads total?

Thanks for putting this together. Even though I’ll be entering. I’d be down to throw something toward that prize pack to help offset the cost.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
One thread: see here for a previous example.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

jvick posted:

Newbie here, I kind of inspired the resurrection of NICSA. This is my first time, so quick point of clarification. I create/link just one thread for all 3 of my courses, correct? Or are we doing a first course round (1 thread), second, third; 3 threads total?

Thanks for putting this together. Even though I’ll be entering. I’d be down to throw something toward that prize pack to help offset the cost.

Just one entry. Thanks for the offer but no worries about the prizes. If you want to, you can host one and pay it forward like I'm finally getting around to doing!

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

TychoCelchuuu posted:

One thread: see here for a previous example.

I was feeling pretty confident until I read some of these. Eeesh, going to be a tough competition.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

jvick posted:

I was feeling pretty confident until I read some of these. Eeesh, going to be a tough competition.

That's exactly the reason I shot way too loving high when I entered. It paid off but I was in the kitchen for two whole days.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Don't think I've done any entries in a (N)ICSA in like 6 years, and I've been meaning to make cassoulet..

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What happens if I want to do a certain recipe but somebody else posts a similar recipe first? Like, after I’ve bought the ingredients for mine?

I have an idea for a main dish but it’s a bunch of steps and may require me learning how to soak beans before I make it, plus I’m slow. Plus I still have to come up with a side and dessert.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2019

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Then you flex your creative muscles and ~flourish~

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

What happens if I want to do a certain recipe but somebody else posts a similar recipe first? Like, after I’ve bought the ingredients for mine?

I have an idea for a main dish but it’s a bunch of steps and may require me learning how to soak beans before I make it, plus I’m slow. Plus I still have to come up with a side and dessert.

Uh... Just make it anyway? No penalties for someone making the same thing.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm pretty sure we're all going to be making refried beans...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

I. M. Gei posted:

it's ok, there's plenty of possible variations on chilli

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

jvick posted:

Keep in mind that's an ICSA, not a NICSA. The standards are lower for NICSAs!

I. M. Gei posted:

I have an idea for a main dish but it’s a bunch of steps and may require me learning how to soak beans before I make it
Luckily this is relatively easy to learn. Can you put a thing in water? Congratulations you have learned how to soak beans.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

By 'lower' he means 'an attempt was made'. Even if it goes hilariously wrong, post it up! If nothing else, someone else here has probably hosed up in whatever way you manage, and can commiserate.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Liquid Communism posted:

By 'lower' he means 'an attempt was made'. Even if it goes hilariously wrong, post it up! If nothing else, someone else here has probably hosed up in whatever way you manage, and can commiserate.

This is true of regular ICSA too. I’ve made some pretty big errors over the years, but I always try to document them

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Possibly stupid question: would a lentil count as a bean?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Possibly stupid question: would a lentil count as a bean?

It does to me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Surely all legumes are within scope?

Just make your food and your fellow posters can judge...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah I'm not gonna be all strict rules lawyer kinda stuff, just cook something with beans in it. If you're super worried over if it qualifies just ask in here.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I may use this as inspiration for a meal, which I might document, but I am definitely not eligible to enter the competition.

I just love beans, and this will give me the motivation to try new ways to cook beans.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah I actually have a pretty good menu for this then, just a question of whether I'll have time to prepare it by the 17th.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've got a couple gimmicks I might try for giggles because playing with beans is fun and exactly as much work as you decide to make it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That Works posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna be all strict rules lawyer kinda stuff, just cook something with beans in it. If you're super worried over if it qualifies just ask in here.

Wife said vanilla bean for dessert. BAM!

See also: coffee beans, cocoa beans :v:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You can go in quite a few dessert directions with red bean paste as well.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I'll be so disappointed if nobody makes halo-halo for dessert.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

BrianBoitano posted:

Wife said vanilla bean for dessert. BAM!

See also: coffee beans, cocoa beans :v:

To be honest if you made a chocolate dessert actually starting from cocoa beans I don't think anyone would complain

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yesssssssssss beans gently caress yeah Brrrrrrrrrrt scuse me

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I *LOVE* this one. Can't wait to see what people do.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've got a week off soon so I might try :o:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Posting to remind myself. I've got some kind of beanception poo poo in mind. Adai, or besan ka puda stuffed with some kind of tofu situation, served with a side of dhokla and some sort of daal. Basically beans in beans with a side of beans, and also beans. And I literally just bought dried red beans at the Chinese market the other day, vaguely having some kind of plans for them. PS, if someone wants to borrow liberally from any of these, go for it. If I don't get some free time Saturday, I'm not gonna be able to bean.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

dino. posted:

Posting to remind myself. I've got some kind of beanception poo poo in mind. Adai, or besan ka puda stuffed with some kind of tofu situation, served with a side of dhokla and some sort of daal. Basically beans in beans with a side of beans, and also beans. And I literally just bought dried red beans at the Chinese market the other day, vaguely having some kind of plans for them. PS, if someone wants to borrow liberally from any of these, go for it. If I don't get some free time Saturday, I'm not gonna be able to bean.

Yesss

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Several people are concerned about the final date, would a one week extension help?

I chose 4 weeks when I started but I guess we don't do these that frequently so I bet no one would complain if we took a few more days.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes please

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yes, an extension would mean I can enter, and even though I’m don’t qualify for the N in NICSA, it’s be fun to put something together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

That Works posted:

Several people are concerned about the final date, would a one week extension help?

I chose 4 weeks when I started but I guess we don't do these that frequently so I bet no one would complain if we took a few more days.

The extra week would enable me to enter as well.