Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

Or don't Orwell and Rand have the strongest, most obvious themes?

What the gently caress

This is so wrong I dont even know where to start

Like, do you think "message" and "themes" are synonymous or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

The point of storytelling isn't just communication, though - otherwise nonfiction prose would always do just as well. Art is about form for its own sake, and not just function. If anything, the latter has to be subordinate to the former for it to be any good. A decent story will move a person without their understanding why, or give them something they didn't know they wanted.

The reader needs something to relate to in any story, and that's where the themes come in. We're not saying that you need to have poo poo like Ayn Rand jabbering on for 200 pages about how greed is good and Dagny really likes loving, but even Covenant in your example has something to relate to (concern for the environment, fear of going mad). The best stories can relate to the human condition somehow or have ideas. Prose is important to communicate these ideas, because the prose is the ideas.

Your art argument is laughable because there is actually a lot of thought and technique that goes into any art, and it doesn't spring from The Artist via divine inspiration. I can't speak for actual visual arts, but any kind of music composition has a ton of theory behind it. The stories that speak to us speak to us because they are well constructed, they do have good prose with thought behind it, and the words are carefully chosen to have an effect and convey ideas. The form IS the function, full stop.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, do you think "message" and "themes" are synonymous or something?

Before you answer that...

1. Can a “dragon” be a “theme”?

2. Can a “theme” be a “dragon”?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
all communication, all art, has "ideas" in it. they're not just something added in by the artist to make it more relatable, they are an inevitable feature, whether consciously wrought by the artist or not

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I, for one, hate it when a book has motifs

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
leitmotifs

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
modern literature is poo poo because only the blandest stuff gets published, but my question is where is the self-publishing industry? there should be at least one or two undiscovered geniuses out there laying secret golden eggs, why aren't the publishing agents sniffing them out?

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
or maybe there are no secret geniuses. maybe we as a species have decayed from our evolutionary peak of genius and from here it's an inexorable spiral down into the depths of self-serving predatory lovelessness, devoid of literature, of art, of anything except survival and the struggle to win it

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

and loss edits

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
We've pretty much exhausted/reached the limits of most forms, it won't be until climate change obliterates modernity that you'll see good art again (assuming humanity survives).

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pikachode posted:

modern literature is poo poo because only the blandest stuff gets published, but my question is where is the self-publishing industry? there should be at least one or two undiscovered geniuses out there laying secret golden eggs, why aren't the publishing agents sniffing them out?
I occasionally trawl through the catalogs of vanity presses in search of interesting and crazy books, and while there are plenty of those, they're all written by people with the wrong kind of broken brain.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
maybe we really do need a war

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

pikachode posted:

i think that cool things are being published but mostly by small(sometimes very small) presses. the self publishing thing is what happened with sergio de la pava's first novel, he published it himself online when no one would accept it and then it got picked up to wide acclaim by real publishers a couple of years later.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

porfiria posted:

We've pretty much exhausted/reached the limits of most forms, it won't be until climate change obliterates modernity that you'll see good art again (assuming humanity survives).

this is stupid and i think you have the computer programmer style of brain disease/depression that is very prevalent on this forum, unfortunately.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

porfiria posted:

We've pretty much exhausted/reached the limits of most forms,

Have we really?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I tried to draw the other day, but I ran into a limit so I had to stop.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I feel I'm somewhat to blame for the idea that the best (fantasy) work is themeless, messageless, meaningless. If you squint a bit at what I said you could come across that idea, maybe. I'm more saying that the author (and the author's idea for the work), the story, and the text the reader constructs are all distinct stages with less influence over each other than many would commonly assume.

As for where is all the decent work, vis a vis self-publishing, then self-publishing doesn't have a whole community dedicated to telling you the work is amazing, darling. I'm sure there's some amazing writing being published, either self-published or traditionally published, but there's definitely a tiredness when all the "hot" traditionally published novels are spoken about with ever-demanding superlatives. For trad publishing there's entire networks set up to commend the work, talk about how amazing it, the author and publishers are. To fully embrace the communal exultary throes of being and being together. It's hard not to get a little eye-rolly. And it's hard not to see the real meaningful work amidst that. Never mind the effect it has on publishing where they're looking to fuel hype rather than reading.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I am surprised we haven't seen the return of short-story magazines or even serialized fiction to any meaningful extent, which are forms that more easily allows for experimentation with new styles and narratives than either traditional publishing or self-publishing avenues. With the latter two, an author has to find an audience that is receptive enough to their stuff to be willing to pay for it and sustain their writing, so anything kind of has to rely on familiar genres that would appeal to specific audiences for marketing purposes. But with, say, a monthly magazine of shorter pieces, authors could spend much less time and effort on each work, thus reducing the pain if any single story doesn't pan out. So there's much more room to experiment with fresh ideas in this format.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

I am surprised we haven't seen the return of short-story magazines or even serialized fiction to any meaningful extent, which are forms that more easily allows for experimentation with new styles and narratives than either traditional publishing or self-publishing avenues. With the latter two, an author has to find an audience that is receptive enough to their stuff to be willing to pay for it and sustain their writing, so anything kind of has to rely on familiar genres that would appeal to specific audiences for marketing purposes. But with, say, a monthly magazine of shorter pieces, authors could spend much less time and effort on each work, thus reducing the pain if any single story doesn't pan out. So there's much more room to experiment with fresh ideas in this format.

Because novels and short stories are very different media.

And even then I've seen plenty of articles, in the UK and Ireland, talking about how lit mags are more popular than they've been in years.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Mrenda posted:

Because novels and short stories are very different media.

And even then I've seen plenty of articles, in the UK and Ireland, talking about how lit mags are more popular than they've been in years.

Didn't know this. Can you point me towards mags that regularly feature good or interesting pieces?

Re: novels and short stories being different - that's why I mentioned serialized fiction. Sure it isn't quite the same as a novel, but it could still afford more flexibility to the author and result in more interesting fiction. There's a web serial thread here, but last I saw most discussion centers around the works of one (very decent, imo, could be a target for this thread) genre author, with occasional interludes into other peoples works that quickly die down because they're all super derivative. I wonder why this format isn't more popular?

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 28, 2019

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Didn't know this. Can you point me towards mags that regularly feature good or interesting pieces?

I haven't read much of it because it moved from Ireland to North America, and I couldn't bring myself to buying pdf copies, but Into the Void is attempting things. https://intothevoidmagazine.com/

The Irish ones can be ok, but aren't amazing and are changeable based on the particular issue and who's editing (I've yet to read any Gorse.) The Stinging Fly is probably the equivalent of the paper of record here. The Lonely Crowd coming out of Wales is refreshing in how solid it is.

Then you get the big international ones like The Paris Review, Granta, what appears in The New Yorker, but I haven't been able to bring myself around to being disappointed by them. I've read a few of The Paris Reviews from my library and they seem to be more a who's who of literature rather than a what's what.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

pikachode posted:

let me be the first to introduce you to LitRPG

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

my bony fealty posted:

let me be the first to introduce you to LitRPG

mods?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Serialized fiction exists and is hugely popular. YA novels are like 100 pages each and come in trilogies or tetralogies. Nothing new under the sun.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

poisonpill posted:

YA novels are like 100 pages each

i can't tell if you're making a joke

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bonaventure posted:

i can't tell if you're making a joke

Not really, no. YA novels run about 1/2 the page count of a adult science fiction/fantasy novel, although 40k words is about 160 pages so 100 pages is a bit hyperbolic.

quote:

Adult Fiction:

Anything above 70k but less than 115k (science fiction and fantasy tend to run up around 100k-115k words). The sweet spot for adult is about 90k.

Middle Grade:

With fun, lighthearted, simple middle grade you’ll want to stay around the 20k-30k word count range. The average middle grade is 30k-40k. Upper middle grade can hit in the 50k word count range (possibly longer, if it's something really special).

Young Adult:

Young adult fiction allows for a lot of flexibility in word count. And as you’ve probably guessed… it is sitting pretty right in between middle grade and adult. YA manuscripts can have a word count anywhere from 55k to 90k.
https://litreactor.com/columns/ask-the-agent-your-novel-word-count-guide-and-more

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I was about to say: I'm not sure if that was re: genre fiction, but literary short story anthologies have been doing just fine

e: ^^^^ that is some weirdly arbitrary prescriptive nonsense

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 28, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
it should be noted that short story collections and multi-volume YA books are both not examples of serialized novels which I think the original dude was referring to

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ulmont posted:

Not really, no. YA novels run about 1/2 the page count of a adult science fiction/fantasy novel, although 40k words is about 160 pages so 100 pages is a bit hyperbolic.

I work with YA books and in my experience they're more commonly bloated to 400 pages because of Harry Potter and Twilight's lingering influence.

Also what Mel said.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it should be noted that short story collections and multi-volume YA books are both not examples of serialized novels which I think the original dude was referring to

I am surprised we haven't seen the return of short-story magazines or even serialized fiction

it was both (or, well, not the YA stuff)

Bonaventure posted:

I work with YA books and in my experience they're more commonly bloated to 400 pages because of Harry Potter and Twilight's lingering influence.

Also what Mel said.

what do you do?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Lex Neville posted:

what do you do?

Materials cataloguing at a public library.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There has been a return of serialized novels of sorts. (I'm somewhat interested in seeing how much BotL hates Wildbow's works.)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

McSweeney's :)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

A human heart posted:

the computer programmer style of brain disease/depression

"Alcoholism" is the word you're looking for

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Joke’s on you I almost never drink and suck at coding.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Silver2195 posted:

There has been a return of serialized novels of sorts. (I'm somewhat interested in seeing how much BotL hates Wildbow's works.)

I doubt BotL or anyone else in this thread is seriously going to consider reading what is effectively a 7,000+ page novel to pick it apart, so you'll just have to rely on me saying its good.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
my bad

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Silver2195 posted:

if that's the worm guy then his works are loving woeful, sorry

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

obviously the pinnacle of 21st century serialized fiction is Homestuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wildbow writes like a parody of lovely YA novels. Wildbow writes. He writes like a parody. Of lovely YA novels.