Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What should main event Wrestlemania?
This poll is closed.
Becky vs. Ronda 86 68.25%
Seth vs. Brock 1 0.79%
Another match (specify!) 5 3.97%
....THE BIG DOG! 34 26.98%
Total: 126 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Angry Grimace posted:

I just don't want to see 130 pound women in matches with 220 pound dudes who could kill them with their bare hands. It doesn't feel right to me. Nobody gains anything from it whatsoever and the fact it might be a good match doesn't really move the needle for me.

I wasn't offended by the Nia spot since it was a gimmick, but replace Nia, with say, Sasha Banks, and that goes from a gimmick spot to real hosed-up lightning fast and Sasha is obviously a significantly better worker than Nia is.

i get that its a tough concept to deal with, but wrestling is fake and you can put on a match where, due to the talent of the performers, you can come to believe that both competitors have a fair chance of winning, and that the victory was well-earned regardless of whether the man or woman won. you could put most of the women against anyone on 205, and a fair share of the regular roster, and it would be fine. everyone always jumps to Sasha Banks fighting Brock Lesnar, and not something cool and fun like Sasha Banks fighting Daniel Bryan.

nobody gets uncomfortable when Rey fights The Big Show even though The Big Show could literally bite Rey's head off in real life. it's all fake, it's not real, it's like a video game, Chun Li can fight M. Bison and it will be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Your Parents posted:

this appearance itself made it out like women are inferior to men by presenting nia's shot at winning the mens rumble as a much bigger deal than her winning the womens rumble.

That's a reach and a half. Men are literally bigger. Nia can ragdoll any woman on the roster. Plenty of men on the roster are as big or bigger in height, weight, or both. If it wasn't an OTT battle royal I MIGHT agree but in a Rumble? Nah dog.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Any of the WWE ladies could literally kill me in a fist fight.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

all of that poo poo stinks. there won't ever be a catanzaro/lesnar match or anything too damaging to the senses so don't worry about it. Or if there is then pretend like it didn't happen and call yourself a hero for putting up with bull freaking poo poo to make young children happy

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Black Widow beating up supervillains is unrealistic

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
if you think a woman shouldn't want to be the top person in the company and should be ok with just being the top woman, i get it, but don't say it makes you uncomfortable, because you're really uncomfortable because you're afraid that it will happen to you one day

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Honestly, keep the women separated from the men because all of the men's matches lately have been dead dog rear end doodoo.

The ladies matches have been actually good.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Baron Corbin posted:

if you think a woman shouldn't want to be the top person in the company and should be ok with just being the top woman, i get it, but don't say it makes you uncomfortable, because you're really uncomfortable because you're afraid that it will happen to you one day

the entire point of separate divisions is so you can have multiple top people in the company. they literally just introduced womens tag titles and womens rumbles etc and it undercuts all of that to have Nia, the least talented and most injury prone nepotism case on the roster, go for a shot against brock because in the narrative of WWE his title is better and more prestigious. that seems insulting to women.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
i think what WWE did is actually genius because they've started a #dialogue about gender inequality. stephanie's women's revolutions continues to pave the way to the future

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Your Parents posted:

the entire point of separate divisions is so you can have multiple top people in the company. they literally just introduced womens tag titles and womens rumbles etc and it undercuts all of that to have Nia, the least talented and most injury prone nepotism case on the roster, go for a shot against brock because in the narrative of WWE his title is better and more prestigious. that seems insulting to women.

she lost her first rumble and beat up someone to steal a spot to get a second chance

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
chyna was the intercontinental champion. are we going backwards or forwards? your call i guess.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

she lost her first rumble and beat up someone to steal a spot to get a second chance

apparently this isnt against the rules and is a totally fair thing to do

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nia did not forego the womens' rumble to enter the mens so none of that makes any sense. It was another opportunity

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Nia would beat Daniel Bryan in a real fight

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
Chyna should be remembered as a legend and they should build a statue in her honor but they never will and that is really hosed up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My take on this probably a little too glib. But.

I just want the best wrestlers to fight each other. So I'd be totally down for Sasha Banks wrestling some huge dude if they could have a great match with each other.

I get that it's not that simple for some people, though.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon

Your Parents posted:

yeah and everyone was really happy when Mustafa Ali escaped the hellzone division of 205 so he could wrestle the real wrestlers. and you're mixing in kayfabe stuff with real life stuff and i feel like we are talking past each other

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

divisions work best when they are guidelines rather than cages. for example mustafa ali, the police officer who hates minorities, is working out well as a wrestler against non-cruiserweights.

Oh sorry I didn't read the above post. don't read this post

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Seemed to me like Nia entered the men's rumble because she was pissed and wanted to break stuff.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Nia was heavily concussed and no one did anything to stop her from going out there and further injuring her mind, brain, etc. vince mcmahon is going to prison

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Your Parents posted:

You can also tell the same story as a woman overcoming a man's inherent advantage in size and strength, which is inarguable, so long as you don't suggest that advantage is determinant of one's worth. That's why I'm fine with the Nia spot. She held her own in the men's Rumble because of her size and strength, but she only did so after losing in the women's match. Canonically, Becky and Charlotte are at least superior to Mustafa Ali.

The real problem here is that Nia isn't all that strong.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'm glad Nia eliminated Mustafa. Second-fav moment of the night, eclipsed by Jarrett

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i just want Absolute Violence and i dont care who falls to guarantee that i get it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Just wanted to say that Ember Moon not winning the rumble was complete bullshit but if she has to lose then Becky was the right winner

Also Becky vs Asuka was really good

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just wanted to say that Ember Moon not winning the rumble was complete bullshit but if she has to lose then Becky was the right winner

Also Becky vs Asuka was really good

drat this is a very correct post.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think an easy way to ease people into WWE doing intergender stuff would be to have someone like Becky or Charlotte beat Dolph Ziggler with a pipe, bury him in a big barrel of ants, waterboard him, stuff like that. Then maybe have Zelina wrestle Rey i guess.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Intergender matches between competitors of comparable size/strength are fine. Save them for the occasional spectacle. Don't send hosed up messages to the kid fans.

Is this such a difficult concept?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WWE announced there will be qualifying matches for the womens tag titles tonight. What teams do you guys see making it in?

I have:

Sasha/Bayley
Nia/Tamina (ew)
Riott Squad

Peyton/Billie
Mandy/Sonya
???

There has been an increase in demand for Kairi and Io to be put in the match and while I don't think it will happen, it should. Otherwise the match quality is going to be absolutely abysmal, and that is being generous.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
lol Why was Taker's twitter suspended?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did I miss it or has no one mentioned the bit in the newest WWE 24 where Titus is helping Heyman put on his tie? It's loving adorable.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Intergender matches are fine as a concept just like cruiserweights wrestling heavyweights are fine as a concept. Wrestling isn't real and it doesn't need to try to be real, it just needs to be Believable Enough; you can believe Rey Mysterio beating The Big Show because Rey is good enough at wrestling to visually portray beating a dude twice his size in a way that feels good, just like Finn and Lesnar last night. That's a harder sell with women, partially because most lady wrestlers are massively smaller than most male wrestlers, partially because the style most women have been taught to work isn't as hard-hitting, partially because the WWE still cares so implicitly about women being conventionally attractive instead of physically imposing and it informs the way they're presented, partially because there are centuries of gender violence issues you have to overcome with viewers. It's why they usually cross that line with wrestlers who come the closest to disarming the size/strength gap so they can just leapfrog all of those issues. There is a reason Lita feuded with Dean Malenko.

It's like anything else in wrestling, you can do it well or you can do it poorly and it all depends on how well you're playing to the strengths of your respective performers and how equally you're presenting them. It's just a different series of hurdles to leap and the structure of the WWE and the way it sees its female talent is generally super unfriendly to that.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i had a really hard time believing that druggie guy with the paunch was "straight edge" and could stand toe to toe with beef cakes. But when i saw my best friends online hooting and enjoying their lives a little bit more because of it, then i was satisfied.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The Nia poo poo in the men's rumble last night felt like a step backward into attitude era nonsense

Unbelievably and against all odds they've actually done a good bit to elevate their women's division to where it's more interesting and entertaining than ever with a crazy amount of talent - they really don't need to re-do the Chyna gimmick. The women's division is the best thing going in WWE right now and they don't need to step backwards.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

AIN'T HE GREAT:

quote:

WWE Hall of Famer Jeff Jarrett has come to terms with World Wrestling Entertainment and will be working for the company behind the scenes as a Producer, PWInsider.com has confirmed. We are also told that Jarrett will be appearing as an on camera talent as well.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

DarkstarIV posted:

WWE announced there will be qualifying matches for the womens tag titles tonight. What teams do you guys see making it in?

I have:

Sasha/Bayley
Nia/Tamina (ew)
Riott Squad

Peyton/Billie
Mandy/Sonya
???

There has been an increase in demand for Kairi and Io to be put in the match and while I don't think it will happen, it should. Otherwise the match quality is going to be absolutely abysmal, and that is being generous.

Dana/somebody
Lana/somebody
Carmella/Truth

It's hard for me to think of new tag teams the day after the Rumble, when every single woman on the show except Sasha, Asuka, and Ronda was shown to be totally happy to whip the others over the top rope given the slightest chance.

You could probably bring up Kairi and Io and like...Candice and Dakota? Those two have been around NXT long enough for it to be obvious that there's no real plans for them there. Io has more she could do in NXT but she also doesn't need to, she's one of the best in the world.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Davros1 posted:

AIN'T HE GREAT:

Kurt must be thrilled.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DarkstarIV posted:

I have:

Sasha/Bayley
Nia/Tamina (ew)
Riott Squad

Peyton/Billie
Mandy/Sonya
???

Riott Squad can work as long as it's Ruby/Logan.

But instead they should have Kairi show up with an empty treasure chest.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Draxion posted:

Dana/somebody
Lana/somebody
Carmella/Truth

It's hard for me to think of new tag teams the day after the Rumble, when every single woman on the show except Sasha, Asuka, and Ronda was shown to be totally happy to whip the others over the top rope given the slightest chance.

You could probably bring up Kairi and Io and like...Candice and Dakota? Those two have been around NXT long enough for it to be obvious that there's no real plans for them there. Io has more she could do in NXT but she also doesn't need to, she's one of the best in the world.

I think the thing working against the names you mentioned above is I doubt they'll want Truth in the match, or Dana, or Lana. Someone proposed forcing Becky and Charlotte to tag, which could also work to further the bad blood between them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Tag team wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

We are also told that Jarrett will be appearing as an on camera talent as well.

gently caress, if he's advertised in advance for shows they might have actually found a way to con me back into actually watching their product