Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Because it's not nearly as cool, obviously :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Vic Boss was gay as hell

Oh yeah absolutely and Solid Snake is a bi icon, but they aren't textually gay the way, say, Ocelot is.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh yeah absolutely and Solid Snake is a bi icon, but they aren't textually gay the way, say, Ocelot is.

Huh uh ok the guy who has steamy naked shower wrestling matches with the hunky man he goes on dates with isn’t textually gay as all hell

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RE: MGS vs. KH: One thing that helps me comprehend the MGS story is the real-world(ish) setting and straightforward timeline. The world of MGS was the same as ours until about the early 1960s or so, and the timeline is linear, so if you are confused about something you can just go back chronologically until you hit something you do understand, and then work forward. The story of KH takes place in an entirely fictional world, and it also seems quite nonlinear, so that isn't available.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MGS is a more abstract series overall, much more concerned with presenting themes than narratives. in MGS2 and to a lesser degree 4 even the integrity of the game space falls apart textually.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean in KHII they literally have Mickey Mouse say their information about something was incorrect and painfully spell out everything about the Ansem retcon so this isn't really 100% correct.

Well I was bound to get something wrong eventually, especially since I haven't played most of the series.

Ariong posted:

RE: MGS vs. KH: One thing that helps me comprehend the MGS story is the real-world(ish) setting and straightforward timeline. The world of MGS was the same as ours until about the early 1960s or so, and the timeline is linear, so if you are confused about something you can just go back chronologically until you hit something you do understand, and then work forward. The story of KH takes place in an entirely fictional world, and it also seems quite nonlinear, so that isn't available.

Yeah that's fair, at least with MGS it's all just on Earth but things are different in some way. And Resident Evil's story seems to be people constantly trying to weaponize the new Alphabet virus or some kind of parasite.

Still can't wait for them to fully put androids in since they're not a Blizzard property and we won't have to worry about corruption at any point.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

KH is completely linear in release order other than one prequel and one game released after 2 that takes place at the same time as the game released between 1 and 2.

So not that different from MGS. MGS even has more prequels as Big Boss became more and more of an actual character.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hopeandjoy posted:

KH is completely linear in release order other than one prequel and one game released after 2 that takes place at the same time as the game released between 1 and 2.

The problem is unless you're pushing 30 and played them all as they came out, you're not going to know at a glance what that order actually is.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

*pointing to zipper belt* infinite keyblades

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I fully trust that MSG would be just as complicated as KH if it had as many canon spin offs and was allowed to spend as long in development for a mainline game as KH3. Like if AC!D was canon and MSG5 took 10 years to make.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Resident Evil wallows in its own continuity knowing it’s goofy and senseless as all hell
All you need to know is that there’s virus, zombies, Leon rescued the president's daughter, later shoots said president because he becomes zombified, destroys every vehicle he rides, Chris punches a boulder, bayou zombies and everyone has a good time

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh, okay. For some reason I thought it had multiple timelines and time travel and stuff.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is unless you're pushing 30 and played them all as they came out, you're not going to know at a glance what that order actually is.

You can easily look up the order the games were released in.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ariong posted:

Oh, okay. For some reason I thought it had multiple timelines and time travel and stuff.

That post is wrong. Kingdom Hearts absolutely has multiple entries set in the past and the 3DS game contains copious amounts of time travel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kingdom Hearts does have time travel.

Two characters can technically do it whenever they want.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Resident Evil wallows in its own continuity knowing it’s goofy and senseless as all hell
All you need to know is that there’s virus, zombies, Leon rescued the president's daughter, later shoots said president because he becomes zombified, destroys every vehicle he rides, Chris punches a boulder, bayou zombies and everyone has a good time

You didn't mention any of the other fantastic characters like Barry, Ada, Jake, or Josh though, what's up with that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAybamawPpg

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Calaveron posted:

it was actually a different president Leon shot than the one who's daughter he saved

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

You didn't mention any of the other fantastic characters like Barry, Ada, Jake, or Josh though, what's up with that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAybamawPpg

Oh absolutely, the series is renowned for having a rich and varied cast of characters each more memorable and insane than the last, but man Chris punched a boulder and Leon and his floppy hair just ran the hell away from that little person's mechanized statue in his lava castle

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also resident evil 7 had dlc that had you hunt down food for an antagonist's birthday party killing horrible fungus golems wearing silly party hats and also dlc that had you play as said antagonist's wrasslin' brother that had you suplexing said horrible fungus golems while eating bugs for health

And I’m not sure but i think the resident evil 2 remake has you play as the giant tofu man, again

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwEwxKkCGJE

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KH is goofy but it's mostly just stock shounen tropes and twists getting to churn for nearly 20 years

also goofy is there

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Also resident evil 7 had dlc that had you hunt down food for an antagonist's birthday party killing horrible fungus golems wearing silly party hats and also dlc that had you play as said antagonist's wrasslin' brother that had you suplexing said horrible fungus golems while eating bugs for health

And I’m not sure but i think the resident evil 2 remake has you play as the giant tofu man, again

tofu is in RE2make, yes

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel like the main thing separating KH from like MGS is that MGS is based on a genre that's all about crazy plots that don't necessarily make sense when subjected to Earth Logic, while Kingdom Hearts is based on "What if we took characters from popular movies for tiny babies, and characters from our popular video game series, and put them in the same game?"

It'd be like taking Sesame Street, throwing it in with Megaman, and then turning the whole thing into an allegory of the Hegelian Dialectic or whatever. It may or may not be interesting, but it's certainly a weird choice to make with those properties.

Especially when they do all this poo poo by piling on increasing amounts of OCs who are unrelated to either property.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

I feel like the main thing separating KH from like MGS is that MGS is based on a genre that's all about crazy plots that don't necessarily make sense when subjected to Earth Logic, while Kingdom Hearts is based on "What if we took characters from popular movies for tiny babies, and characters from our popular video game series, and put them in the same game?"

It'd be like taking Sesame Street, throwing it in with Megaman, and then turning the whole thing into an allegory of the Hegelian Dialectic or whatever. It may or may not be interesting, but it's certainly a weird choice to make with those properties.

Especially when they do all this poo poo by piling on increasing amounts of OCs who are unrelated to either property.

They began ignoring Disney characters because the execs had insane mandates on how they could be portrayed or interact with other characters

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Resident Evil is great because every installment is at least a little bit fundamentally different in tone, so when you look at summaries or character bios you get fun moments like "Leon S, Kennedy is a young police officer who survived by the skin of his teeth during a zombie outbreak, barely managing to come out alive due to his quick thinking, tenacity, and help from his friends. He later went on to Rambo his way through an entire Spanish village, a castle full of parasite cultists, and an island of heavily armed mercenaries to save the president's daughter."

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Arist posted:

That post is wrong. Kingdom Hearts absolutely has multiple entries set in the past and the 3DS game contains copious amounts of time travel.

There's one and a mobile game that barely matters rn. Also, there's only one timeline.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also that weird movie I've never watched and know next to nothing about, though

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

how many disney characters aside from the villains and main protagonists even get to interact with the main plot? I know Yen Sid is here and there and Beast tags along during some plot-critical events in 1.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CYBEReris posted:

how many disney characters aside from the villains and main protagonists even get to interact with the main plot? I know Yen Sid is here and there and Beast tags along during some plot-critical events in 1.

Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. That's it. Of the three, Mickey's the most plot relevant because he's in all of the games and is a Jedi Keyblade Master.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CYBEReris posted:

virtually none, there's probably some disney-side bullshit saying "don't mix that poo poo" which is likely why the plot goes so completely off the rails and new villains are introduced constantly, especially after 1

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Resident Evil is great because every installment is at least a little bit fundamentally different in tone, so when you look at summaries or character bios you get fun moments like "Leon S, Kennedy is a young police officer who survived by the skin of his teeth during a zombie outbreak, barely managing to come out alive due to his quick thinking, tenacity, and help from his friends. He later went on to Rambo his way through an entire Spanish village, a castle full of parasite cultists, and an island of heavily armed mercenaries to save the president's daughter."

And never loses his stride doing so

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The Disney parts are mostly self contained side stories that resolve themselves in world.

It’s really just a Square JRPG that has some Disney characters I guess.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Calaveron posted:

the remake puts an entire squad of tofu into the game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

maleficent from sleeping beauty and pete are a recurring ineffectual villain duo, so I guess everything prob has to get approved individually or something so they just stick to what already got the ok

e: one of the weirder things is nomura getting gradually more modest and hesitant about putting too much focus on FF stuff, to the point that there are supposedly basically none in kh3 at all

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 29, 2019

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Arist posted:

virtually none, there's probably some disney-side bullshit saying "don't mix that poo poo" which is likely why the plot goes so completely off the rails and new villains are introduced constantly, especially after 1

Yeah, in the original contract there was a stipulation that was basically "the worlds cannot mix at all, ever, for any reason."

Disney is way more lax about this poo poo now know, and part of the backstory of KH is all the worlds used to be connected in one big world. It's possible that will return after the plot culminates in KH3. Disney Infinity mixed their properties all over, so it's entirely possible going forward the series may be allowed to get up to some real hijinks.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

hopeandjoy posted:

There's one and a mobile game that barely matters rn. Also, there's only one timeline.

The mobile game absolutely matters in the grand scheme, because it raises a bunch of question about time flows in general, since one of the characters in the series exists during the Keyblade War and the events of Birth By Sleep, despite those instances being 100 years apart.

e:

Motto posted:

maleficent from sleeping beauty and pete are a recurring ineffectual villain duo, so I guess everything prob has to get approved individually or something so they just stick to what already got the ok

Maleficent asking about "the box" seems to imply she's got a bigger thing happening now.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2019

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Motto posted:

e: one of the weirder things is nomura getting gradually more modest and hesitant about putting too much focus on FF stuff, to the point that there are supposedly basically none in kh3 at all

He's mentioned in the past that he doesn't like to use FF characters he didn't design. (Vivi and Setzer were higher-ups' demands, iirc) This could be a further extension to that?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Much like you don't need origin stories for every character before they interact, you don't need to know every piece of information front and back to understand the main story of Kingdom Hearts

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Calaveron posted:

its a different president apparently. with RE is pretty easy to follow until after 3. though most of the games are just "the continuing adventures of people who got out of racoon city" some are more self contained like 4 and 7 while others like 5 and 6 and Revelations tie into other stuff. all the side games are either small side stories or what ifs.

CYBEReris posted:

i mean the tron world tecnicaly was part of the main plot and i guess stitch because he pissed off Donald enough to make him smash poo poo.

Motto posted:

that zipper on Pete freaks me the gently caress out. like i get the zipper fetish but christ.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That video posted earlier of the guy talking about how much fun he had BECAUSE Resident Evil 6 wears its pants on its head and runs around in a circle making noises like Curly from the Three Stooges (and played it entirely co-op).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
One Hit Wonderland - "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger. I remember this from the very earliest years I got into music. Even then I don't think I knew how seriously to take it.