Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it was a reference to the old DC book. Most people forget that initially Neil Gaiman's Sandman was explicitly part of the DC universe.

going off of hazy memories from a decade ago, but I kinda forgot while reading it until some scene where Batman and Superman are briefly and incidentally talking to each other in The Dreaming or wherever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Peanut Butler posted:

going off of hazy memories from a decade ago, but I kinda forgot while reading it until some scene where Batman and Superman are briefly and incidentally talking to each other in The Dreaming or wherever

One of the first issues had Martian Manhunter in a guest spot, and the supervillain Doctor Dee had a significant role in the first story arc.

A whole bunch of the minor recurring characters were from classic DC comics as well. Cain, Abel and Destiny were 'hosts' in DC's old horror comics:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The bit near the end where Superman, Batman and the Martian Manhunter are talking together at Dream's wake. Fun little thing is, in the Dreaming, Superman appears as Clark Kent, while Batman is an even more demonic version of himself. Martian Manhunter is just himself. (though his culture's perception of Dream is a giant flaming skull)

What makes Sandman great is that it weaves together characters from mythology and religion and history and literature and comic books and random people off the street without breaking a sweat and makes it all flow into each other so naturally. Makes total sense for the DC universe to be full of weird poo poo on the fringes as well as ordinary people going about their lives.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah I'm not real well-versed in DC more aside from the stuff everyone knows through modern myth

That comic is full of little subtleties, I oughta see if my library is stocked for a re-read

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The bit near the end where Superman, Batman and the Martian Manhunter are talking together at Dream's wake. Fun little thing is, in the Dreaming, Superman appears as Clark Kent, while Batman is an even more demonic version of himself. Martian Manhunter is just himself. (though his culture's perception of Dream is a giant flaming skull)

The best part is their conversation.

Superman: "You every have that dream where you're just an actor on a TV show about your life?"

Batman: "Of course."

Martian Manhunter: "I don't."

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I'm choosing to believe that's a maga hat and Spidey did that deliberately.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

I'm choosing to believe that's a maga hat and Spidey did that deliberately.

just because potus is owned by russians doesn't make russians wear the hat

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, so no need to blow the cover, good job spider-man, etc etc etc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun little thing is, in the Dreaming, Superman appears as Clark Kent, while Batman is an even more demonic version of himself.

That's pretty subtle for comic books, drat.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One of the first issues had Martian Manhunter in a guest spot, and the supervillain Doctor Dee had a significant role in the first story arc.

I forgot Doctor Destiny's real name was Dee. I am hearing this song in a completely different way now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nETFODVN6fE

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Randaconda posted:

I've always felt that Gaimans at his best when forced to play well with others.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Brute Squad posted:

I forgot Doctor Destiny's real name was Dee. I am hearing this song in a completely different way now.

Been a long time since I spotted another MMBT fan in the wild.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Brute Squad posted:

90s Taaaang! Bosstones best Bosstones. I used to never cry when I would think about my father...

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

CzarChasm posted:

I swear just the other day I was singing...drinking, the other day. I said I love you, you turned away. But I'm a happy very happy very happy guy!!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Randaconda posted:

Subtlety is the name of the game in Sandman. If you don't pay attention you'll miss the part where Dream's captor's helper accidentally rolls his wheelchair over the magic circle, breaking it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Randaconda posted:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What makes Sandman great is that it weaves together characters from mythology and religion and history and literature and comic books and random people off the street without breaking a sweat and makes it all flow into each other so naturally. Makes total sense for the DC universe to be full of weird poo poo on the fringes as well as ordinary people going about their lives.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
gently caress, I'm going to have to buy all of them and read them all over again, aren't I?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
Don't forget lucifer. It's a great sidestory to sandman. Although Sandman is hard to beat I think it does a good job of being almost as good and is a perfect standalone.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

gently caress, I'm going to have to buy all of them and read them all over again, aren't I?

It's okay, the hardbound, amazing print quality Ominibuses (there's 2!) are only about $100 USD each, though you can occasionally find them for cheaper...by $15 bucks...:suicide:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Once you have them all, you can use them to bludgeon a burglar.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Beachcomber posted:

Once you have them all, you can use them to bludgeon a burglar.

And then wall him off in your basement behind copies of the complete calvin and hobbes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
For the love of God, Stupendous Man!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/t5F3Pd0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grraarrgghh posted:

It's okay, the hardbound, amazing print quality Ominibuses (there's 2!) are only about $100 USD each, though you can occasionally find them for cheaper...by $15 bucks...:suicide:

Back before I had real bills to pay I picked up the Absolute Sandman set and it's a gorgeous set of books but entirely too goddamn bulky.

Someday I'll get the set through Comixology and have it all digital

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

snergle posted:

Don't forget lucifer.

Sadly my wife won't let me do that, as she constantly jizzes about how hot Tom Ellis is.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A whole bunch of the minor recurring characters were from classic DC comics as well. Cain, Abel and Destiny were 'hosts' in DC's old horror comics:

I'm pretty sure every old DC horror host besides Elvira is in Sandman. Lucien, Eve, and the 3 witches were all hosts too. Actually now that I type this I think Madame Xanadu was never in Sandman but she was in his Books of Magic sort of spin off. DC leaned HARD into horror comics in the 70s.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I enjoyed rereading the series with this open on another monitor. It's great to see all the references I missed out on first time through.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Eschatos posted:

I enjoyed rereading the series with this open on another monitor. It's great to see all the references I missed out on first time through.

My hottest possible Sandman take is that the "all myths are true" is an exclusionary tactic genre writers use to pretend what they're creating has literary aspirations. A work should be referentially self-contained, otherwise you admit that you're writing only for an audience who already knows your references or will choose to look them up mid-read.
Especially if there's considerable differences between the portrayal and the generally understood version of that character! Which Gaiman is better about than his contemporaries, but it feels like his latest works have all been spinning his wheels without contributing anything new to the genre as a whole. It feels like he's just been rewriting Neverwhere, basically. The big reveal that fuckin, Thor and Osiris are best buds running a Tom Waits style diner isn't cool anymore, it's just expected. It's crossover fanfic for nerds too uptight to enjoy anything modern.

Compared to someone like China Mieville, who manages to create worlds just as rich and dense as Gaiman, without having to lean on however many thousands of years of storytelling to do so.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/pants/status/1087919416535339010

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

Sadly my wife won't let me do that, as she constantly jizzes about how hot Tom Ellis is.

You'd think Hollywood would have scooped him up by now, they love handsome British dudes.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
gotta love that, no matter what show it is, eventually everything the BBC produces features a lanky fellow with curly brown hair solving Mysteries.

edit- im actually banned from the country cuz people are convinced id get pulled into some kind of Palace Intrigue after a lordship ends up strangled in his own erotic fountain.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

CzarChasm posted:

There's dozens of us. DOZENS!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Eschatos posted:

I misread that as saying you enjoyed reading it while you had an open heart monitor and I was really stunned.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sandman is so good it made me cry at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

pulled into some kind of Palace Intrigue after a lordship ends up strangled in his own erotic fountain.

We call those 'mondays'.