Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, those DD character designs.

Those sure are things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DrManiac posted:

The switch is region free right?
Yes.

What I haven't investigated is how to access the Singapore eshop, assuming there even is one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

Yes.

What I haven't investigated is how to access the Singapore eshop, assuming there even is one.

Unfortunately there isn't a Singapore eshop on Switch. You have to import a physical cart.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There isn't. We're basically all waiting for clarification from the publisher. Even if you can import the cartridge, there's the question of DLC, which possibly includes the preorder Gespenst.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

Unfortunately there isn't a Singapore eshop on Switch. You have to import a physical cart.

To clarify, there are other games with Asian English versions sold on the Japanese eShop, like Taiko Drum Master. So if it shows up anywhere, it's likely to be there.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they said the Japanese eshop version will have Chinese/Korean/English available? I know they've done that with other recent Bandai Namco releases.

Edit: Too slow

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hope so, I want this game much more on the Switch than the other platforms right now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
If I can buy this game once and have dual language that's honestly a huge sell for the Switch version for me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
As much as I would like to get it on PS4 to kinda round it out next to X and V, I do kind of want to get it on the Switch to send a message for them to keep on bringing stuff to it.

How much of a hassle is it to set up a Japanese Eshop account?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
If Shu Shirakawa "built" the Granzon, from the ground up,
does that mean that technically, it counts as a real robot ?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Not sure what you mean? Supers are built too, and like the Granzon they tend to have a fancy power source.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
DyGenGuar, Grungust, Ganduro, all totally Earth built, all supers.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Then I would have said that it has to do with reproducibility, in which reals can be carbon copied en masse such as tanks and jets. But then the Eva series count as a cross between that because they aren't technically built as much as birthed, plus their S2 reactors count as mysterious energy source, much like the GN drives in 00 Gundam, and less like hot burning justice spirit in G Gundam.
It must come down to the pilot, if it's someone who is destined vs someone who was trained to use the robot. But that also doesn't make any sense!

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The super/real distinction is one of those things it's best not to think about too hard. Nevertheless, hot take: the Granzon has always been a real robot.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ka0 posted:

Then I would have said that it has to do with reproducibility, in which reals can be carbon copied en masse such as tanks and jets. But then the Eva series count as a cross between that because they aren't technically built as much as birthed, plus their S2 reactors count as mysterious energy source, much like the GN drives in 00 Gundam, and less like hot burning justice spirit in G Gundam.
It must come down to the pilot, if it's someone who is destined vs someone who was trained to use the robot. But that also doesn't make any sense!

The Super/Real divide is less about the mecha and the pilot and more about the feel and tone of the thing. Tetsuya was trained to pilot the Great Mazinger and Banagher was destined for the Unicorn. Dai Guard has supply line issues, is owned by a corporation, has budget concerns and could be mass produced so by pretty much every metric is a real robot, but its in a super robot show. The God Gundam is a Gundam, which invented the real robot genre and is definitely a super. Evas are finicky prototypes and their fuel requirements are a plot point, but also they have a magical force field, so are they real or super? Trick question, they're Ultraman/kaiju and Hideaki Anno loves bureaucracy.

There's a bunch that are super robot shows that have a bunch of real robot elements and vice versa. Don't think too hard about it. Whatever your gut says will normally get it.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Granzon is a super because you upgrade its armour instead of evasion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

There's a bunch that are super robot shows that have a bunch of real robot elements and vice versa. Don't think too hard about it. Whatever your gut says will normally get it.

Which, when you think about it, is a very super robot way to figure out the distinction.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ka0 posted:

Quick, someone post that SRW 4-panel comic where the Gundam and super robot crew argue whether Shinji counts as being a real or super robot pilot.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Are the Walker Machines from Xabungle real robots because they run on gasoline engines, or are they super robots because they run on gasoline engines?

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
A "super robot" is a robot which is also a super hero, such as Tekkaman Blade.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

Are the Walker Machines from Xabungle real robots because they run on gasoline engines, or are they super robots because they run on gasoline engines?

Xabungle is a boy, if that helps.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mercury Crusader posted:

Speaking of Xabungle, has there ever been a scene in SRW where Gato fires the GP02's nuke only for the Walker Gallier to catch it and toss it back to his stupid face?

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of Xabungle, has there ever been a scene in SRW where Gato fires the GP02's nuke only for the Walker Gallier to catch it and toss it back to his stupid face?

No I don't believe so. But that's what they should have done in Alpha Gaiden, too bad Gato wasn't in that game.

Tribladeofchaos fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 29, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm still not clear on whether the GP02's bazooka actually fires a rocket or whether some nuclear reaction happens inside it and it puts out a beam.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm still not clear on whether the GP02's bazooka actually fires a rocket or whether some nuclear reaction happens inside it and it puts out a beam.

I've always figured it to be a Casaba Howitzer, albeit one that's probably a lot flashier than how it would work in reality

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drrockso20 posted:

I've always figured it to be a Casaba Howitzer, albeit one that's probably a lot flashier than how it would work in reality

According to specs, it's just a rocket launcher with a nuclear payload. However, the anime makes it look more like a Casaba Howitzer or a bomb-pumped laser.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I looked up a Casaba howitzer and I got pointed to project Orion. I knew the concept but I had no idea about that name.

Project Orion was so loving awesome.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 29, 2019

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I love thinking about this topic. The Neo Zeong with it's ability to destroy weaponry and launch people into plot-expository magical carpet rides, the Zeorymer which was not built to save humanity at all, the lines being blurred all over is a fun thing to noodle about.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

On the super/real debate, wasn't the SoulSaber built as a prototype of a mass-producable Super Robot?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My personal definition of supers vs reals is whether armor or mobility is prioritized when it comes to base stats/upgrades. Meant to take hits? Super. Meant to dodge em? Real. Can do a bit of both? Hybrid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nono is a human sized super robot and it's awesome. When are we going to see her again?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Infinity Gaia posted:

My personal definition of supers vs reals is whether armor or mobility is prioritized when it comes to base stats/upgrades. Meant to take hits? Super. Meant to dodge em? Real. Can do a bit of both? Hybrid.

Gundam Rose :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

General Revil posted:

According to specs, it's just a rocket launcher with a nuclear payload. However, the anime makes it look more like a Casaba Howitzer or a bomb-pumped laser.

One thing I learned long ago is to never trust the written specs for anything in the Gundam franchise unless it's a video game

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For my money, super/real has less to do with the abilities of the robot and more to do with it's role in the story. Mazinger Z and the RX-78 Gundam are powered by magic science engines, protected by magic science armor, but also are ordinary enough that they can both be mass produced and improved upon. Despite these similarities, Mazinger Z is a super robot because it's fundamentally a luchador that fights for justice against evil, while the Gundam is a real robot because it's a soldier/fighter jet that fights for a human government against another human government.

The makes the regular Granzon more of a real robot, at least in the OG games, as it's primary role is as a mobile artillery piece that fights on behalf of Bian Zoldark.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 29, 2019

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I can think of a couple of (game mechanics) super style pilots with real robots like Gai from Nadesico or Kallen from Code Geass but is the reverse ever true? The closest I can think of is Kazuma from W and that's mostly because he upgrades from a real to a super.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Touga from Gravion absolutely thinks he's a Gundam ace in Z. If I remember right there are two specific subpilots pick up all the slack. (He gets Courage eventually... I think?)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
free my post from the Time Prison

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

For my money, super/real has less to do with the abilities of the robot and more to do with it's role in the story. Mazinger Z and the RX-78 Gundam are powered by magic science engines, protected by magic science armor, but also are ordinary enough that they can both be mass produced and improved upon. Despite these similarities, Mazinger Z is a super robot because it's fundamentally a luchador that fights for justice against evil, while the Gundam is a real robot because it's a soldier/fighter jet that fights for a human government against another human government.

The makes the regular Granzon more of a real robot, at least in the OG games, as it's primary role is as a mobile artillery piece that fights on behalf of Bian Zoldark.

This is where I stand a Real Robot is equipment while a Super Robot is either a Hero or a Villain, something that represents and fights for good or evil.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

WrightOfWay posted:

I can think of a couple of (game mechanics) super style pilots with real robots like Gai from Nadesico or Kallen from Code Geass but is the reverse ever true? The closest I can think of is Kazuma from W and that's mostly because he upgrades from a real to a super.

A particularly sassy part of me is going with Ledo, only because Chamber hideously outstrips and is so completely alien to the Gargantia's tech level he might as well be a Super.

Objectively, though, it's Lamia in the Angelg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nono is a human sized super robot and it's awesome. When are we going to see her again?

When we also get KOS-MOS in the same game hopefully.