Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dewgy posted:

Sort of true. Each character’s run through the game is fairly static, but the “2nd” run changes up their intro a bit and extends the ending. Bosses, cutscenes, etc mostly play out the same way though.

It almost feels like they started working on full A/B scenarios, finished up the parts with Marvin, then realized “yeah we don’t have the budget for this lmao” and left it at that and the true ending.

There's a few more changes here and there in the B but it's mostly small things, most of them either make the route more straightforward or make things slightly more difficult(adding zombies outside the king/queen plug room and changing the location of the electronic repair thing in the lab).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

So I tried the one shot demo last night, and I think I may get this. Just have a question about structure:

Leon A and Claire A are basically the game with them as the 'main' character and are separate stories, while Leon B and Claire B are them as basically a side character to the opposite characters A stories?

B runs are mostly similar to the A runs with exceptions made the placement of a few items throughout the game and how often Mr X shows up. It definitely feels like there was some stuff cut from the B scenario but you do get the "true" ending for playing the B side and it'll be done with a different character with different weapons so it's still pretty different in how it plays.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the original had a bigger variety between the 4 routes and the B route requiring an A route save meant they could do more interconnected choices like the armory pickups and the hallway shutters.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cleared 4th survivor on the first try. Man that was a crazy ride. Limped in the deep red over the finish line. I'm sure it can be done a lot better but for now I have another challenge and I couldn't one shot this. This will require some practice...

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DLC Inc posted:

holy gently caress I thought this was fake

Some of the concept art for bonus costumes is completely wild. Helena had this really cool Iron Maiden (the device, not the band) concept sketch.

Though best extra costume will always be

My vote for worst will always be 'RE6 Sherry in her RE2 outfit'

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are there any penalties for doing Scenario B at an easier difficulty if I just want to do all 4 to unlock 4th Survivor? I'm doing fine at the Standard difficulty with Leon but with how tense this game is I think I'd like a slightly more relaxed playthrough just once for the followup.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mindblast posted:

Cleared 4th survivor on the first try. Man that was a crazy ride. Limped in the deep red over the finish line. I'm sure it can be done a lot better but for now I have another challenge and I couldn't one shot this. This will require some practice...

Crazy! I thought I had almost made it on my 2nd try last night -- made it to the surprise Licker in the hallway out of the parking garage -- but then I looked up a few videos of how various people used their loadout and realized I really only made it about halfway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

are there any penalties for doing Scenario B at an easier difficulty if I just want to do all 4 to unlock 4th Survivor? I'm doing fine at the Standard difficulty with Leon but with how tense this game is I think I'd like a slightly more relaxed playthrough just once for the followup.

I'm told you can't get the infinite weapon unlocks by playing on Assisted but I don't know if that applies to the bonus run unlocks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
That is kind of a shame that they don’t do the same thing with the B routes as the original. I thought that was a cool idea.

On the other hand, they probably did not have the budget for it. Didn’t the remake only happen because fans basically begged them to do it? I can see Capcom hedging their bets a bit.

Of course, the game turned out to be a monster hit so who knows what may happen?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I'm told you can't get the infinite weapon unlocks by playing on Assisted but I don't know if that applies to the bonus run unlocks.

Assisted mode isn't ranked so you can't get ranking rewards.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

well I already know I won't be getting weapon unlocks that way, I just want to get the HUNK scenario after my initial run through the 4 basic runs.

Unlucky7 posted:

That is kind of a shame that they don’t do the same thing with the B routes as the original. I thought that was a cool idea.

On the other hand, they probably did not have the budget for it. Didn’t the remake only happen because fans basically begged them to do it? I can see Capcom hedging their bets a bit.

Of course, the game turned out to be a monster hit so who knows what may happen?

If Ghost Survivors is free then maybe we'll get paid DLC content further down the line. RE7 actually had quite a bit of free+paid DLC stuff so it wouldn't surprise me if RE2 has a long tail of content too. I want as much as possible to be added to this game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

drat, UhTrance just beat Leon A in under an hour.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure you can unlock Hunk mode in assisted, and it only takes 2 playthroughs, not 4.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I do think people tend to overstate how different B was from A in the original game.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

On that note of RE2 being a success, Capcom has said they sold 3 mil in the first week. This article has comparisons to other games

quote:

For some context on what 3 million first week sales means, let's look at some other games:

Estimates place Assassin's Creed Origins (2017)sales at about 1.5 million in its first week.
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (2018) sold an estimated 4.2 million units in October with an October 12 launch date.
Monster Hunter World (2018) sold an estimated 2.45 million units in its first week of sales.
Far Cry 5 (2018) sold an estimated 2.4 million units in its launch week.
Meanwhile, Red Dead Redemption 2 sold 17 million copies in 12 days.

I had no idea RDR2 was THAT popular. Really hadn't paid any attention to it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Some of the concept art for bonus costumes is completely wild. Helena had this really cool Iron Maiden (the device, not the band) concept sketch.

Though best extra costume will always be

My vote for worst will always be 'RE6 Sherry in her RE2 outfit'

shoulda been this in re7 tbh.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Broose posted:

On that note of RE2 being a success, Capcom has said they sold 3 mil in the first week. This article has comparisons to other games

Daaaang. Kind of worth considering that that first week isn’t even over yet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Birkin please.

I needed all that ammunition for dogs and other issues.

I did not want to spend it all on your weird shoulder eye.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You unlock HUNK by just beating a B scenario, doesn't matter the difficulty.

Broose posted:

It's a modern Rockstar game, of course it sold like gangbusters.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Panzeh posted:

I do think people tend to overstate how different B was from A in the original game.

It’s mostly the bosses that are a bit disappointing in the remake. In the original game it wasn’t just Mr X you had to deal with but you fought different forms of Birkin than the A route did, or at least in different places.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

enojy posted:

Crazy! I thought I had almost made it on my 2nd try last night -- made it to the surprise Licker in the hallway out of the parking garage -- but then I looked up a few videos of how various people used their loadout and realized I really only made it about halfway.

Hey, thanks! Lickers are nasty but if you pick an older save close to one and mess with it a bit you will begin to spot the glaring holes in how they work. I like how they rationed your gear. I felt everything you carried was useful in more than one place. I used nearly everything. Magnum is the "yo X, chill" button(the lack of upgrades is really noticeable when used on lickers, I don't think it can oneshot them) and the 4 powders they give you essentially present you with two choices; lots of 9mm and some mag on the side, or 10x shotgun. I can see the appeal of both, his pistol isn't bad.

Now Tofu is... uh, yeah. Tried it once. Will get back to it when I am more awake. Got a good laugh though.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So which main story is "easier" to try to S rank? Do either have a more direct route, or overall better weapons?

Side question, I got the DLC guns, but haven't found a need to use them. The upgraded Matilda on Leon was fun and felt better and the hi power so far on Claire also feels better. I thought Weskers gun would be a game changer but killing zombies dead doesn't seem necessary to do, really, so maybe I'm just missing why they're better guns, if they are at all?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Broose posted:

My mom actually called me to ask me about it when she saw a news story about it making something insane like $750M in 13 hours.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fhqwhgads posted:

So which main story is "easier" to try to S rank? Do either have a more direct route, or overall better weapons?

That's a tricky question because they both have winners and losers, but I think ultimately Leon has more winners. His shotgun isn't good for lickers unlike Claire's grenade launcher, but lickers are a relatively small part of the game and she has to spend more on inventory space because of ammo, while his shotgun is easy to make lots of ammo for and can do serious work on bosses. The Matilda and Hipower are pretty even, I think, but I don't think Claire's SMG is nearly as good as Leon's Magnum; though I suppose at that point Leon's Matilda is his SMG and Claire's revolver has become a magnum, so maybe that's a wash. Leon's chemical flamethrower is intuitive and super effective on almost anything you meet after you find it, while Claire's Spark Shot is gimmicky and harder to keep supplied.

If you take B route weapons into account, Leon's 1911 is a good basic improvement and you can ditch the Matilda entirely without missing anything, while Claire's SAS will shave the limbs off a zombie better than an SMG, but the reloading...

I've only managed Standard S runs so far, though, so maybe someone who can do S+ Hardcore has other ideas.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 29, 2019

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
I far preferred Claire's trek through the station/basement, didn't have too much issues with her loadout. Her final fight is also tons easier.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I'd say that just due to Leon's upgraded shotgun's ability to delete zombies super easily, makes everything much safer compared to the few times you meet lickers. And (route spoilers)if you wait until you go back into the RPD from the sewers rather than the car park to pick up weapons and upgrades you can minimize Mr. X I think. I'm surprised no one has published hard numbers from the game data yet. This game did get released on the PC, right? That's a rhetorical question.

How tight is the "small carbon footprint" challenge? Is there enough to do things like minor backtracking to board up windows and get hidden items or do I have to do my best impression of speedrunners?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wouldn’t necessarily agree about inventory space on Claire and Leon. Leon’s upgrades make all of his weapons take up two slots but only the grenade launcher and SMG upgrade does that on Claire, and you don’t even need the grenade launcher one.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Broose posted:

How tight is the "small carbon footprint" challenge? Is there enough to do things like minor backtracking to board up windows or do I have to do my best impression of speedrunners?

It's incredibly tight. I think it's meant to be something you do once you have infinite weapons unlocked, as it basically limits you to whatever resources happen to be in the same room as something else you have to go for. You can accumulate 5,000 steps very easily before you find all 3 medallions.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Noirex posted:

Having never played a RE game before, I went in completely blind and I'm having a real blast. The first time Mr X busted in through a wall like the KoolAid man I nearly had a goddamn heart attack.

I just got to this part and I had the exact same reaction, right down to the "holy poo poo now he's Mr. KoolAid Man X".

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone mod Mr. X so he makes this sound every time he attacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQF9zWVsZk

edit:

https://twitter.com/fivepoisonskid/status/1089658895470071808

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 29, 2019

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Broose posted:

I run into that a lot with Rockstar games. Going by sales numbers, literally everyone plays them, but nobody I talk to who plays games has played GTAV or RDR.

Re-playing 4 after RE2make and while yeah, it would be hard and kind of pointless to do a full re-imagining, imagine that gore/animation system on Ganados and cultists.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Playing this is bringing back memories of how much I absolutely despised every moment of Code Veronica.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
One thing I appreciate in this game so far is the map. Man this map is so helpful unlike the maps in the old games! It even tells you what specific barrier is where and where you left items lying around.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish that you could click on staircases to go up or down and they were highlighted between switching which floor you're viewing, because the top right corner of the police station has a lot of stairs that all go to different places.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Kawalimus posted:

One thing I appreciate in this game so far is the map. Man this map is so helpful unlike the maps in the old games! It even tells you what specific barrier is where and where you left items lying around.

i feel like that should have just been an easy mode thing, kinda ruins the survival fun in exploration for me.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

found a bunch extra logs i missed this time in claire A in the orphanage and i just got to the end game and read that file and i cant tell if they are retconning resident evil survivor or just supporting it even more lmao.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Taintrunner posted:

Someone mod Mr. X so he makes this sound every time he attacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQF9zWVsZk
I kinda hope something like this is possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WutlOjp2JsI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They put out RE4 on PS4, right? Is there any kind of HD remaster treatment done to it or is it the exact same game that came out like 14 years ago?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It lets you aim the gun with the right stick if that matters to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's basically the same. There's someone HD-ing a lot of the textures on the PC version though.