Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

[Extremely Nate Silver voice] "there's only a 5% chance Hillary can lose 2016!"

nate silver sometimes acts like a dumb poo poo but out of all the pollsters/stat freaks 538 was the only one to really say that hillary may not sweep into office. the last poll on 538 before the election was 71.4% hillary 28.6% trump with trump getting 30% about a week before the elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Strong Sauce posted:

nate silver sometimes acts like a dumb poo poo but out of all the pollsters/stat freaks 538 was the only one to really say that hillary may not sweep into office. the last poll on 538 before the election was 71.4% hillary 28.6% trump with trump getting 30% about a week before the elections.

His broke rear end real time model gave a lot of people heart attacks late in the day during the midterms. I can't decide if that's a pro or a con.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Strong Sauce posted:

Nate silver apologists are worse than tankies

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
No more lol'ing at Trump for me, time to lol at the poors with my friend Jesus.

quote:

ATTENTION DEAR BENEFICIARY YOUR OVERDUE FUND WAS RELEASED TODAY BY OUR PRESIDENT MR DONALD TRUMP.....

I am Mrs. Melania Trump, I am writing to inform you about your Bank Check Draft brought back by the United Embassy from the government Federal Republic of Nigeria in the white house Washington DC and has been mandated to be deliver to your address TODAY BEEN Saturday 26 January 2019 as soon as you get back to me with your below information.

Eighteen million united states dollars $18,000,000,00usd that was assigned to be delivered to your humble home address by Honorable president Mr Donald Trump the president of this great country to be deliver to you this week by a delivery agent MR ROCHA,S JESUS

Also reconfirm your details for the check delivery by filling the form below and send it immediately to our Email: melaniatrump20@gmail.com

For verification and for prompt collection of your fund.

Fill The Form Below:

1. Full Names :
2. Residential Address :
3. Mobile Number:
4. Fax Number :
5. Occupation :
6. Sex :
7. Age :
8. Nationality :
9. Country :
10. Marital Status :

Accept my hearty congratulation once again!

Yours Sincerely,
Mrs. Melania Trump
First Lady USA

1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500, United States

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vapor Moon posted:

Lmao it's not a great country, try harder next time Melanie

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Vapor Moon posted:

What's loving nuts is I think this might be from Melania.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

What's loving nuts is I think this might be from Melania.

There's more words in that email than Melanie has said publily in the last 2 years.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1090370913500045314

I thought this was sarcasm or parody

Nope

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
wtf is this poo poo

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

:shrug:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

he's right though? the chance of a trump win was bouncing from 20 to nearly 50%

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

fishing with the fam posted:

His broke rear end real time model gave a lot of people heart attacks late in the day during the midterms. I can't decide if that's a pro or a con.

It overvalued the Florida election, which was one of the first to start reporting and ended up being the exception. Yeah, it wasn't perfect but it was easily explainable and I dont know how you model around that.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1090379084604018691

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

sebmojo posted:

he's right though? the chance of a trump win was bouncing from 20 to nearly 50%

la times had it right all along and he put out a half assed defense of them in an article that in general was intended as a hit piece against what turned out to be effective polling. he treated politics like sabermetrics and was successful because Obama was so absurdly reliable. I trust drat near any individual poll over his aggregate bullshit.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lol this is normal

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1090215699480567813

That's a LOL, and a second LOL when you consider that's with unemployment at 3%.

It’s even more lol when you realize how hard they’re juking the unemployment stats to make it 3%. Working 3 part time jobs to barely make ends meet? That’s one less unemployed person! Unemployed for more than 2 months? You’re now a ‘discouraged worker’ and don’t count towards unemployment.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/948355557022420992
trump's big powerful button

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

la times had it right all along and he put out a half assed defense of them in an article that in general was intended as a hit piece against what turned out to be effective polling. he treated politics like sabermetrics and was successful because Obama was so absurdly reliable. I trust drat near any individual poll over his aggregate bullshit.

you know that probabilities lower than 100% can occur?

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Anyone have enough of a law/civics background to explain why this is needed? Does a first strike like this fall under the War Powers Act or something?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

boar guy posted:

every single midwesterner

Excuse me but I spent the first 26 years of my life in the midwest and hated that area since I was a child. My dad laughs now but, when I was 10, he remembers me asking him how old I had to be before I could legally move away. 10. The last time I visited my family there, seven years ago, it took maybe 5 hours before I was online talking with old friends to plan to GTFO of central Wisconsin the next day.

The midwest is not beautiful unless vast expanses of barren flat land, corn fields, and crippling poverty from forced ignorance are all beautiful to you.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
LMAO that article title

Look at This Embarrassing loving Moron

The president tweets, for the umpteenth time, that climate change is not real because it's cold outside.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a26077427/trump-tweet-midwest-cold-global-warming/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO, Trupm is going to wake up disoriented and drenched in piss and nuke Mexico unprovoked and then we're all going to be drafted into WW3 and have our brains blown out by Chinese or Russian prison camp guards.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

dermophis donaldtrumpi

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Didn't the LA times polling have Trumo up by 3 points or something, though?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

sebmojo posted:

you know that probabilities lower than 100% can occur?

He completely discounted the possibility of trump winning on so many occasions personally, gave him token probability until it became abundantly clear that the extremely unpopular establishment candidate was in fact extremely unpopular to cover his own rear end. Especially when the polling he aggregates started making his model seem unpredictable as again evidenced by the short meltdown people had about democrats losing the house in 2018 on election night based on his live modeling. His algorithms, methodology whatever you want to call it in the months post primary leading up to the election directly contributed to the false sense of security that led to the Clinton campaign ignoring swing states for the pipe dream of blue Texas. Why wouldn’t they trust the greatest pollster alive who so accurately predicted some of the most easy to aggregate elections in the history of American politics.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

LMAO, Trupm is going to wake up disoriented and drenched in piss and nuke Mexico unprovoked and then we're all going to be drafted into WW3 and have our brains blown out by Chinese or Russian prison camp guards.

Trump is gonna open palm slam the nuke button and it's going to sizzle and burst into flames cause it's coated in piss and made in america.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Remember when David Frum was briefly not terrible?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/how-howard-schultz-may-save-democratic-party/581443/

quote:

Howard Schultz May Save the Democratic Party From Itself

To defeat Trump, Democrats will have to appeal not to his fiercest enemies, but to his softest supporters.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This one? https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-leave-the-la-times-poll-alone/

He's saying he agreed/disagreed with some things but generally he is only against polls that suck at their methodology...

quote:

Individual polls might give you a different impression, of course — and that’s OK. This is an unusual presidential election and a somewhat challenging time for the polling industry as a whole; we should expect and encourage a bit of disagreement. If you’re going to browbeat a pollster, do it to a pollster who is doing things cheaply — some of the robopolls qualify — and not one that’s trying to move the ball forward, like the LA Times poll. Besides, every now and then, one of the “outlier” polls proves to be right. But if you want to play the percentages and get the best gauge of where the election is headed, take the average, adjust for house effects if you like, and relax.

The LA Times poll basically said Trump would win the popular vote by 3% points, Clinton actually won that by 2% points. Obviously the popular vote doesn't determine who wins the election so lol. Even that poll wasn't correct.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I completely forgot about this, since it happened before the expansion of the universe

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/1090381515819765763

quote:

Another defensive standout noted that coaches didn’t pressure players to accompany the team to Washington, D.C., but said that almost every black player he knew didn’t want to take the trip. However, he noted that he knew that some players only attended because they worried that refusing to attend the traditional White House visit might affect their scholarships or playing time.

“Not saying anything against the players who went,” the junior explained, “but if you look at who went—freshman and people fighting for playing time—you’ll see what I’m talking about.”

quote:

When asked if they regretted their decision to stay in South Carolina once they saw the piles of cold McMeat their teammates got to enjoy, all three laughed.

“Now if it was some Five Guys, I might feel different,” responded one.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Can you imagine? There's been so much garbage happening that the thread is a week old and we're almost already at page 100.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

I ride bikes all day posted:

Anyone have enough of a law/civics background to explain why this is needed? Does a first strike like this fall under the War Powers Act or something?

to keep him from nuking nancy pelosi's house after she rubs his nose in his own poo poo the next time he shits in the house

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Strong Sauce posted:

This one? https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-leave-the-la-times-poll-alone/

He's saying he agreed/disagreed with some things but generally he is only against polls that suck at their methodology...

The LA Times poll basically said Trump would win the popular vote by 3% points, Clinton actually won that by 2% points. Obviously the popular vote doesn't determine who wins the election so lol. Even that poll wasn't correct.

They were picking up on something that I sincerely wonder if most pollsters were over accounting for as some kind of bias especially 538. I fundamentally disagree with the overwhelmingly statistical approach establishment big data take regarding elections. It assumes that anyone involved including voters are rational actors.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

He completely discounted the possibility of trump winning on so many occasions personally, gave him token probability until it became abundantly clear that the extremely unpopular establishment candidate was in fact extremely unpopular to cover his own rear end. Especially when the polling he aggregates started making his model seem unpredictable as again evidenced by the short meltdown people had about democrats losing the house in 2018 on election night based on his live modeling. His algorithms, methodology whatever you want to call it in the months post primary leading up to the election directly contributed to the false sense of security that led to the Clinton campaign ignoring swing states for the pipe dream of blue Texas. Why wouldn’t they trust the greatest pollster alive who so accurately predicted some of the most easy to aggregate elections in the history of American politics.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

use your words

schmug
May 20, 2007

is it me or does that look like a colon?

haha it even has a johnson

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

people still complaining about Nate silver are turbo cspam mods

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

schmug posted:

is it me or does that look like a colon?

haha it even has a johnson

it looks like some of the things I put in my colon

schmug
May 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

people still complaining about Nate silver are turbo cspam mods

yeah wtf does the NBA have to do with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmug
May 20, 2007

bird with big dick posted: