Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dub music? I love the dub-inspired basslines of stuff like Bauhaus and I'm a big fan of the dub versions of Israel Vibration and Peter Tosh albums. Looking for "traditional" dub, not as much modern electronic-type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Dub music? I love the dub-inspired basslines of stuff like Bauhaus and I'm a big fan of the dub versions of Israel Vibration and Peter Tosh albums. Looking for "traditional" dub, not as much modern electronic-type stuff.

Virtually anything involving Lee "Scratch" Perry

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

How about The Move?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

hexwren posted:

How about The Move?

Shazam is my favorite. It has the best version of Cherry Blossom Clinic, too. It's really proggy though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hexwren posted:

How about The Move?

Ooh, this is my area of specialty. I love, love, love the move.

So to start, their albums are all pretty different, since the band was literally all over the place.

So there's been a few reissues, and of variable quality, but let's get started.

In order of quality:

1. The various singles they released. The Move were really a singles band, and that's where they consistently hit hardest. It's pure pop, and Roy Wood was able to just hit it out of the park with pop songs no matter how off the wall he was going. They may be available as bonus tracks on reissues, but some of them don't use the original mixes. I know the Salvo used god-awful fake stereo mixes. Basically, if it was released before Brontosaurus, it should be mono. But the compilations usually include the correct mixes, as far from what I've seen. Their final single, California Man / Do Ya, is one of the best singles ever released. Just two great songs back to back. And yes, Do Ya, is better than the ELO version.
2. Message From the Country. This was their last album as the Move, and it basically at the time, they were talking any song that used strings and using that for Electric Light Orchestra. Jeff Lynne has more of a voice, and he writes half of the songs here.
3. The Move - psychedelic rock. It's their debut, and is all over the place in a great way. Flowers in the Rain, Fire Brigade, Cherry Blossom Clinic? All killer. Ignore stereo versions. Only half the album was originally mixed into stereo, and some of the stereo mixes are... bizarre. Like, Walk On The Water is entirely mono, except for one backwards sound effect, which is panned left and right.
4. Looking On - Jeff Lynne enters. It's heavy and hard, and I really love it. Feel Too Good is just killer funk, and you can hear Roy and Jeff getting on really well.
5. Shazam - not a bad album. It's just my least favorite. It's filled with long songs, and shows them going beyond the pop they did in the first album.

Now, for bonuses.

Check out Wizzard's Brew by Wizzard. The reissue includes the non-album singles from the period. The album is noisy an a huge mess, but the singles are just the poppiest songs you can imagine. See My Baby Jive is just pure pop brilliance.

Electric Light Orchestra - the first album features the same line up as Message From the Country. It's less pop than future ELO albums, but it's interesting to hear.

Boulders - Roy Woods' solo album. As in, he recorded everything, but one instrument on one track. Song of Praise features a chorus of sped up Roy Woods. It's inventive and fun.

So I hope that helps.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Kvlt! posted:

Augustus Pablo's King Tubbys Meets the Rockers Uptown is probably the #1 dub album, beyond that you might check out anything by Pablo, King Tubby, Prince Jammy, Scientist etc from before 1985, the style changes at that point when they get synths. Scratch Perry was also important, particularly early on: Upsetters 14 Dub Black Board Jungle (also featuring Tubby) is maybe the first "genuine" dub record. But it all sounds pretty much the same and you'll know after a few records if it's something you'll really want to dive into

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kvlt! posted:

One I like is Wareika Dub by Rico Rodriguez (who played with a lot of ska, reggae and soul bands in Jamaica and Britain, played with the Specials and for many years was a member of Jools Holland's Rhytym & Blues Orchestra) which is the dub version of his Man From Wareika album (also very good).

One that might be a little bit less traditional is Rhythm Collision, Vol. 1 by Ruts D.C. with Mad Professor.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Terminally Bored posted:

Shazam is my favorite. It has the best version of Cherry Blossom Clinic, too. It's really proggy though.

There’s nought wrong with proggy, laddie.

Otherwise, yes. This.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
There isn't, sure. But there are people who are allergic to 15 minute songs involving Tchaikovsky and Bach quotes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really get the appeal of most prog rock. Some of it is okay, but for the most part, I don't know, I just don't get it. More to the point, I've never really gotten the appeal of all those note-perfect shred guitar players. There are some contexts where it's the best thing for a piece of music but most of the time, when it sounds totally effortless, it doesn't really do a lot for me. :shrug:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dillinger Escape Plan?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Dillinger Escape Plan?

I think One of Us Is the Killer is the best overall and as good an introduction as any since the Greg Puciato era makes up the majority of their career. Calculating Infinity is nice but can be a weird starting point since Dmitri only lasted for one album (and a brief EP before that). Same with Irony Is a Dead Scene, though you should check it out for sure if you're a Mike Patton fan.

If you are not hyped from the opening track of OoUItK then the band probably isn’t for you, IMO

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 19, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Calculating Infinity is something you have to check out at some point, but it's fairly different from everything the band did after, so it's probably not the best starting point. You could either start with One of Us Is the Killer, or just go in reverse chronological order.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Industrial music? I hope thats not too broad, I know literally nothing about the genre so hit me with whatever you like!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Industrial music? I hope thats not too broad, I know literally nothing about the genre so hit me with whatever you like!

Listen to early records by bands like Throbbing Gristle, SPK, Nurse With Wound, Cabaret Voltaire and Whitehouse to get a feel for what the whole movement was about. if you like that stuff there's plenty of directions you can go in based on labels or side projects or different post industrial offshoots.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kvlt! posted:

Dillinger Escape Plan?

i didn’t like them until this year; i just didn’t get it

ire works changed all that

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kvlt! posted:

There is a thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393370

These days it gets used as a crazy broad term encompassing a whole bunch of stuff, most of which has very little in common with the original industrial bands that a human heart mentioned (other than sometimes dropping their names in interviews). Basically anything after those bands is theoretically post-industrial, but tends to get labelled as just "industrial" nowawadays except by people who are particularly picky about genre/invested in those original industrial artists. However 'industrial' is now used for such a broad enough range of stuff from synthpop releases that you could easily mistake for straight up mainstream chart stuff to really noisy techno and things that sound just like big room EDM but with some german vocals that it's almost useless as a genre descriptor. There are a few bands who still sound sorta like or are experimental like the original industrial bands, but they tend to be outside what's seen as the industrial genre now. Thorofon are good though IMHO, for that kind of thing. Or maybe Lana Del Rabies.

Some industrial (but actually post-industrial) starting points:

If you like sorta techno stuff then look at some of the aufnahme + wiedergabe label's releases. If you like things that are more noisy and a bit harsh or more experimental but still danceable then look at the Hands or Ant-Zen labels or the artist Electronic Substance Abuse (ESA). If you want something that's sort of aggressive and punk-tinged then listen to Wulfband or Youth Code. If you want something stripped down and more minimalist with a driving beat and bassline, try Schwefelgelb. For something melodic, maybe try Covenant. If you like tribal sounding stuff then hit up Ivardensphere or This Morn Omina. If you like metal, try Author & Punisher.

If you want something classic that's seen as pretty much the starting point for a whole lot of what's in the scene now, then you can't go wrong with any of the first five Front 242 albums or their 'Moments' live album. Or try Skinny Puppy or Frontline Assembly.

If you want to get a feel for the range of stuff that's coming out right now, go and look at this site http://www.idieyoudie.com/ and scope out the weekly Tracks section. There are some subgenres of current 'industrial' that they don't cover because they're not into it, but they cover a really broad range of things and you'll hopefully find something you'll like.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 15, 2019

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Headhunter is my jam

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Out of curiosity would Big Black be considered industrial? Industrial-punk? Really got into BB over the last year and they're not like anything else I've really listened to.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Out of curiosity would Big Black be considered industrial? Industrial-punk? Really got into BB over the last year and they're not like anything else I've really listened to.

they're just a noise rock band

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Are there any more industrial bands doing stuff similar to Last Rights?

Also, where do I start with PIL?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

me your dad posted:

I mean, even Puppy themselves didn't really return to the "sonic sculpture" stuff they channeled on that record. You might check out Wasted Sky or Death on the Installment Plan from Numb. Those guys were Canadian peers and probably influenced by the same styles and scene. Dead When I Found Her also has a Skinny Puppy patch on his sleeve, but I'm not sure if any of those will scratch that Last Rights itch because that LP is just on another level. Go seek out "Left Handshake" if you haven't heard it. It might at least give you some closure on the record (Where is Track 10?)

quote:

If you're you're not up for diving in at the first LP, maybe go with This Is What You Want... This Is What You Get? It's got a few tracks you might recognize.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

me your dad posted:

I have no idea which albums are the popular ones or which ones had singles but I love Happy? and 9 by PiL. Those just happened to be the albums my dad had on CD when I was digging through his collection as a teen.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Where do I start with Weezer?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Go chronologically and stop when you're disappointed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

Where do I start with Weezer?

Blue and Pinkerton, then you can stop. There are good songs to be found later but severely worse albums.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

Go chronologically and stop when you're disappointed.
Pretty much. The Blue Album and Pinkerton are probably two of the most solid bubblegum pop-rock records from the 90's. Everything afterward is sort of a disjointed mess (Make Believe is still probably their worst record, though).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's been a while since I listened to it, but I wasn't terribly disappointed by the Green Album. I think that one's worth sitting through at least once.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The White Album is actually decent as well.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've probably said this before, but Green is one of my favorite music-industry gently caress-yous ever, as well as being a solid half-hour (that's really how long it is, it is short) of pop tunes. Essentially, the poor reception to Pinkerton having gone into weird, super-loud-and-compressed proto-emo leads Rivers Cuomo to, upon returning to music, putting out one of the most vapid, says-nothing records ever. To borrow from Patton Oswalt, he's hate-loving the audience with power pop, down to every guitar solo on Green being the verse melody.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, moving onto another band on my list: Where do I start with The Used?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Junpei posted:

Alright, moving onto another band on my list: Where do I start with The Used?
Their self-titled debut album is loving great. It was great 17 years ago when it came out and it's still great. It's one of those albums I'm still listening to from time to time after all these years.

That said, I never really got into anything they did past that, but I also might not have given that stuff enough of a chance.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really like Talking Heads but I've never looked too much into David Byrne's solo work. Where do I start with that?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ultrafilter posted:

I really like Talking Heads but I've never looked too much into David Byrne's solo work. Where do I start with that?

None of his solo records are particularly great, although obviously the first album with Eno has its fans. I guess you could check out both of the Eno records, then Rei Momo and Look Into the Eyeball. If you like those, hey, you've got a whole world ahead of you, if you don't then there's definitely nothing better coming up

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Also Love This Giant, which Byrne did in collaberation with St. Vincent is great IMO. Certainly the best of his I’ve heard since TH quit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

Rei-Momo is my favorite. From there, Uh-Oh feels like a continuation of Talking Heads 'Naked'. Look into the Eyeball after that. Then Love This Giant > Feelings > American Utopia > Grown Backwards > David Byrne ('94)

Life in the Bush with Ghosts is the one I'm least familiar with, so I'll withhold opinion on it.

I do like his orchestral work for film and theater, though I prefer The Forest to The Last Emporer.

Ras Het's right, though. While every album has at least two or three songs I fully love, some of it may fall flat for you.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Where does one start with the Manic Street Preachers?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

hexwren posted:

Where does one start with the Manic Street Preachers?

The Holy Bible

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Blast Fantasto posted:

The Holy Bible

Also Generation Terrorists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
And Everything Must Go.

The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go is an interesting series of albums. The Holy Bible is basically the lyrics of a severely depressed man and a band trying to write music to fit it. They were more interested in taking a risk than they were in success. It's a challenging album (I mean, the opening song includes the lines "he's a boy, you want a girl so tear off his cock," so not everyone's cup of tea), but it's something very unique.

There's two versions - the UK version, and the US remix which didn't get released until the deluxe edition ten years later because of the guitarist's disappearance. It's fascinating to hear the US version since they give it a bit more polish. I think the band likes it as well, so it's not like you got to choose between a band approved version and something else. I do think the UK mix of Faster is superior.

Everything Must Go is sort of the sequel to the Holy Bible. Half of the songs come from the guy who disappeared, and the other half deal with the aftermath.

Then there's Journal for Plague Lovers, which uses up unreleased lyrics.