Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I've been migrating things over to a new laptop, and with Fire Pro I figured I'd have to repatch all the mods, but now the drat PWGR installer won't work. I thought I had .Net 4.0.3019 installed but it'll open and say "PWGR Patcher has stopped working" with something referring to a System.TypeLoadException. Can't find any recent posts on this anywhere (since all the hubbub over mods not working was last year.) Do I just need to download the very latest version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I've seen more people have issues with the new PWRG patcher than the old one, but in your case, it's worth a shot. That, or double check that all the files associated with pwgr are there, and in the right locations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The IMPACT game didn't even have submissions if I recall, they just counted as pins.

Remember that lovely Lucha game that Konami made? The main appeal was a free mask with pre-order. Then they got rid of it and everyone cancelled their pre-orders.

The state of wrestling video games is sad

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know about submissions but it definitely didn't have rear grapple moves. Good thing that roster didn't include Kurt Angle, a guy known for german suplexes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Takuan posted:

I've seen more people have issues with the new PWRG patcher than the old one, but in your case, it's worth a shot. That, or double check that all the files associated with pwgr are there, and in the right locations.

Figured it out, it was just getting the most current version of .Net that made it work.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Tato posted:

The IMPACT game didn't even have submissions if I recall, they just counted as pins.

Remember that lovely Lucha game that Konami made? The main appeal was a free mask with pre-order. Then they got rid of it and everyone cancelled their pre-orders.

At least we have a current Fire Pro game that isn't that awful Xbox Live avatar thing they put out several years ago. And IIRC that wasn't too long after the unfortunate 3rd game in the Def Jam series. Couple of real punches to the gut there!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

The problem with wrestling games is sort of a microcosm of sports games in general. Used to be you had lots of titles ranging from very sim to casual and arcade stuff that deliberately played with the rules (the NBA Street series where you do tricks to power up ultradunks that are so powerful they take points from the other team is a good example), but eventually dev costs and overall complexity went up, publishers started buying exclusives (or in wrestling's case, competitors went out of business), and the market contracted to "just the one annual detailed simulation for the dedicated fans of the sport". Don't like Madden for whatever reason? Well, gently caress you, that's all you're getting.

It's worse for wrestling because it's a niche to start with, so even the one main series doesn't have the resources it needs (though with 2k it's largely a question of the time it would take to make a new engine.) And WWE's... acute degree of brand control is also a problem. But mostly it's a combination of costs going up and the market narrowing.

If WWE All-Stars had sold well, who knows?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

TEW remains the only good wrestling game

But 2k19 was p decent

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
After a few preliminary attempts, doing a stream here in 20 minutes. Two-night PPV event, with 16-man tournament for the World Tile, four-team Tag Title tournament, eight-man J-Crown battle royal, and...a tag match.

https://www.twitch.tv/doctordelaware

(Warning: It's going to be choppy as poo poo, because I was dropping frames all over the place when I recorded the matches. This is what happens when you use Streamlabs to record, and stupidly keep doing stuff on the computer.)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Maxwell Lord posted:

The problem with wrestling games is sort of a microcosm of sports games in general. Used to be you had lots of titles ranging from very sim to casual and arcade stuff that deliberately played with the rules (the NBA Street series where you do tricks to power up ultradunks that are so powerful they take points from the other team is a good example), but eventually dev costs and overall complexity went up, publishers started buying exclusives (or in wrestling's case, competitors went out of business), and the market contracted to "just the one annual detailed simulation for the dedicated fans of the sport". Don't like Madden for whatever reason? Well, gently caress you, that's all you're getting.

It's worse for wrestling because it's a niche to start with, so even the one main series doesn't have the resources it needs (though with 2k it's largely a question of the time it would take to make a new engine.) And WWE's... acute degree of brand control is also a problem. But mostly it's a combination of costs going up and the market narrowing.

With more non-WWE companies becoming visible we might get some people willing to sink money on interesting wrestling game projects. Personally I'd like to see more story based brawlers that take place in the wacky universe of wrestling.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Streets of Rage But It's The Elite would be sick as hell

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 26, 2019

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Maxwell Lord posted:

yeah I also miss NFL Blitz

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I miss the serious wrestling games also being arcadelike in gameplay and in the crazy stuff you can do. I know a lot of people like that over the top playing fighting game style one that WWE released a few years back but it was never my jam as far as satisfying the wrestling game itch. Sim and arcade can and have met comfortably in the middle before and I would love to see games like that again. But yeah, with there basically being one game in town, putting aside Fire Pro that is, and it being an attempt at a Madden style sim, there is nothing out there to satisfy aside from playing games from two or three console generations back.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I feel like Yakuza is the template I would like to see a wrestling game made in. Strong characters, satisfying combat, lots of trash talking and melodramatic flair.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Someone just needs to marry Fire Pro gameplay with (maybe) 3d graphics and a story system like the WWE games (but better).

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

HCTP was the perfect balance. I've put more hours into that that any other. WCW Mayhem was fun with my friends but I haven't played it in 20 years and I'm scared it's gonna actually be poo poo.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

RBX posted:

HCTP was the perfect balance. I've put more hours into that that any other. WCW Mayhem was fun with my friends but I haven't played it in 20 years and I'm scared it's gonna actually be poo poo.

Mayhem was playable as far as I remember, but I quickly went back to playing AKI games when my rental of it was over. My favorite Wrestling game ever is probably AKI #5 Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, but HCTP was only prettier SVR 06 style CAW’s away from being perfect. Those weird looking shoulders and the clear visual difference from the in game roster was a big problem to me, luckily the roster was pretty amazing to make up for it.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I miss just getting weird cool stuff like Ultimate Muscle, Def Jam, and Rumble Roses in between the annual stuff. It was also cool to have different WWE games on each platform (GameCube, Xbox, Ps2) before they all became the same.

I'd love to see a stripped down AKI style game on Switch, I don't expect it to be able to run WWE 2k19 (especially when 2k won't hire a studio good at porting games to it).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

2K19 demonstrates if nothing else that Yukes has the willingness to go winningly stupid with their story mode, even if the gameplay won't go stupid in the same way... not in the way they intend, at least. Not yet.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Basic Chunnel posted:

2K19 demonstrates if nothing else that Yukes has the willingness to go winningly stupid with their story mode, even if the gameplay won't go stupid in the same way... not in the way they intend, at least. Not yet.

The problem is still that the only stats that really matter are reversals and stamina, and then reversals are so stupid and so low risk/high reward because momentum is EVERYTHING that there's no reason not to spam out reversals. And if you end up behind in reversal amount, you're screwed.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

On the discussion of stats, I hate how stupidly complicated stats have got in recent games in the series. You can have between one and five reversals, why the gently caress is that expressed as a stat between one and one hundred?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Only real reason I can see is bc things like streak mechanics and “power rankings” can bump your reversal stat enough to get you extra pips.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Only real reason I can see is bc things like streak mechanics and “power rankings” can bump your reversal stat enough to get you extra pips.

I didn’t actually consider that. That said, I think they should consolidate their stats a great deal and maybe even rate on a less granular level than 1-100 because creating a character right now takes for goddam ever and they still don’t play any differently from one another regardless of the care you put into doing it. Dedicated ai editing would make a lot of their decisions more palatable as well.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CascadeBeta posted:

The problem is still that the only stats that really matter are reversals and stamina, and then reversals are so stupid and so low risk/high reward because momentum is EVERYTHING that there's no reason not to spam out reversals. And if you end up behind in reversal amount, you're screwed.

Yeah they tried with limited reversals but that just means if you’re out of them there’s a long period where you just can’t react to what an opponent does. And when I’m playing, I want kind of an even match, I wanna put on a good show, but there is no impetus at all to let your opponent do anything because being on the defensive is no fun. So either I steamroll the AI or hold back and get stunlocked.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It just straight up encourages you to spam moves that don't reversal stagger you to drain your opponent. Patch after patch and it never occurs to them that they should patch stagger into stomp reversals, and then again, if they did, it might make the game objectively worse, as you said, being on defense sucks in this series.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

It just straight up encourages you to spam moves that don't reversal stagger you to drain your opponent. Patch after patch and it never occurs to them that they should patch stagger into stomp reversals, and then again, if they did, it might make the game objectively worse, as you said, being on defense sucks in this series.

It also makes online play completely pointless because 75% of players play their OC 7'8" 350lb luchador with dreads and tribal tats, who has a 100 rating in every stat and a moveset consisting of either the most elaborate animations, the ones with the wonkiest counter timing or ones with no reversal stagger, meaning if you're trying to play as a midcard wrestler from the actual roster, you may as well quit out as soon as the match starts.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'm very appreciative of this thread because it has let me know about the VPW2 conversion mod (freem edition) in the works with a beta test tomorrow (!!). VPW2 is the best 3D wrestling game easily. I even put it over No Mercy for the higher frame rate, bright and vibrant color palette, timeless mid 90s puro roster, full entrances, and ring announcers. Additionally, I like that the game has an unbranded feel to it despite being an AJPW licensed game. I can put original characters in there and it looks just as much of a fit thematically as the pre-made characters. I know what I'm doing tomorrow. :cheers:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Wasn't there a Chikara game being developed like ages ago?

I'm pretty sure I didn't halluciante that being a thing

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I went and checked their twitter, it's still in development. Most recent tweet a couple days back.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don't have too high of hopes for it considering the last indie developed wrestling game crippled a programmer and failed a kickstarter

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If I remember right, Chikara's game is going to be Action Arcade Wrestling 3, which is the sequel to two one dollar indy titles released on X Box arcade and such. They were ok for what they were, but nothing I wanted to play once the novelty wore off. I would say they almost feel like a budget MDickey game, with better controls and far less scope.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 28, 2019

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I picked up this on steam so I could change all the music to Hot Dad alternate tracks (I have brain disease).
The Daniel Bryan showcase is pretty entertaining because of his narration. He laughs at all the times he gets super crapped on.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just finished this creation for ps4 if anyone is interested. Made logo myself.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dishwasher posted:

I'm very appreciative of this thread because it has let me know about the VPW2 conversion mod (freem edition) in the works with a beta test tomorrow (!!). VPW2 is the best 3D wrestling game easily. I even put it over No Mercy for the higher frame rate, bright and vibrant color palette, timeless mid 90s puro roster, full entrances, and ring announcers. Additionally, I like that the game has an unbranded feel to it despite being an AJPW licensed game. I can put original characters in there and it looks just as much of a fit thematically as the pre-made characters. I know what I'm doing tomorrow. :cheers:

Hey thanks for posting this, I had no idea the mod was coming out that soon and it is indeed really great. Just did a 40 man battle royal that came down to Spider-Man and Steve Austin.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

seriously thinking about getting an n64 and one of those flashcarts so I can properly enjoy all the wrestling games I missed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Hey thanks for posting this, I had no idea the mod was coming out that soon and it is indeed really great. Just did a 40 man battle royal that came down to Spider-Man and Steve Austin.
well gently caress man don’t leave us hanging

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

well gently caress man don’t leave us hanging
The crowd won.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

I don't know much about the super fancy No Mercy mods these days but after looking at some of the recent ones, I'm interested. Will these mods work on N64 Flashcarts and original hardware or do you basically have to run them on emulators? I have a N64 USB controller so it shouldn't be an issue, but it would be cool to be able to play multiplayer around the tv.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

joylessdivision posted:

Wasn't there a Chikara game being developed like ages ago?

I'm pretty sure I didn't halluciante that being a thing

They just released a public beta for the create-a-wrestler part of the game.

A few weeks ago they also released a pretty decent free mobile game called Kingdom of Trios. A puzzle fighter game that I guess is a lesser and non-freemium version of that WWE mobile game. Razerhawk keeps complaining on Twitter about how overpowered he is and how now everyone hates him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I think one problem with anyone coming up with a new wrestling game is, that despite the flaws in the WWE games, they have so much content in them, that any game that doesn't match up would be considered a failure.