Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
Six and a half in decimal, or in float?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ratbert90 posted:

I made a bit less than $350,000

Fake your death and move to Belize.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Finster Dexter posted:

ooc, is that 15gb just the trunk, or all of trunk/tags/branches?

Also, tags are completely different in git than they are in svn (from what I remember of svn) so you may not even need/want those.

Trunk itself ~9gb for ~*reasons*~ so the 15gb was already pruning a bunch of stuff, like the 15 release branches which don't need to be ported into the brave new world. Tags are getting pruned as well as they're unnecessary to a large degree. The whole repo is hundreds of gb of random trash, including something called trunkold which is always good to see. What I want to do is truncate the history at 1 year, which is only like 1500 revisions and call it good. Just keep SVN around for when we need to do work on old branches/blame someone for breaking something.

To be honest I would also just accept someone upgrading our SVN version at this stage before it eventually kills itself.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw,

Aramoro posted:

Jenkins + Sonarqube is what we're using just now but due to an SVN server no one wants to own we're stuck analysing the release branch only. We're planning a move to GIT but trying to get agreement on 1) how much history to truncate and 2) who is going to own it this time.

ill own your server, op

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Aramoro posted:

Trunk itself ~9gb for ~*reasons*~ so the 15gb was already pruning a bunch of stuff, like the 15 release branches which don't need to be ported into the brave new world. Tags are getting pruned as well as they're unnecessary to a large degree. The whole repo is hundreds of gb of random trash, including something called trunkold which is always good to see. What I want to do is truncate the history at 1 year, which is only like 1500 revisions and call it good. Just keep SVN around for when we need to do work on old branches/blame someone for breaking something.

To be honest I would also just accept someone upgrading our SVN version at this stage before it eventually kills itself.

keep your history but skip all the binaries, 'death' probably is caused by hashing all your blobs

you don't want binaries in git anyway (or use git LFS)

animist
Aug 28, 2018
https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/1090281534114971649

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lmao gcc is such a hacked up piece of crap

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
lol i just found out a team we worked with to architect a file encryption and decryption service is having issues encrypting files...that are 6+ gb

why no, the solution based on the spec that required reading ~5mb pdfs into memory and encrypting them won't scale with huge files why do you ask?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

goongrats, ratbert

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Doom Mathematic posted:

Ah, the coveted six and a half figgies?

:eyepop:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://github.com/denoland/deno

from the people who brought you nodejs

quote:

No package.json. No npm. Not explicitly compatible with Node.

Imports reference source code URLs only.

import { test } from "https://unpkg.com/deno_testing@0.0.5/testing.ts";
import { log } from "./util.ts";

Remote code is fetched and cached on first execution, and never updated until the code is run with the --reload flag. (So, this will still work on an airplane. See ~/.deno/src for details on the cache.)

thanks i hate it

(other than that it actually seems kind of... nice? like the basic node.js standard library has been cleaned up and promisified and made more type checker friendly. typescript is legit really nice to program in)

but hopefully that first thing gets fixed asap because "download poo poo from random open-internet urls on first startup" is not a deployment model and you'd think the docker-humpers in move-fast-and-break-stuff land would appreciate that

animist
Aug 28, 2018
lol, because that worked so well for Go

edit: I'm legit baffled by this. Like npm is the only good thing about node, and weren't we all just excited about small self-contained executables?? Just release the pretty new stdlib as a package and use ts-node

animist fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 30, 2019

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

quote:

Imports reference source code URLs only.

what could possibly go wrong

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Sapozhnik posted:

but hopefully that first thing gets fixed asap because "download poo poo from random open-internet urls on first startup" is not a deployment model and you'd think the docker-humpers in move-fast-and-break-stuff land would appreciate that
what do you expect? it's being designed by the same people that thought nodejs was a worthwhile endeavour

and, like all frontend developers, they've decided to not learn anything from past mistakes or from other languages. instead, they're going to poorly reinvent the wheel, yet again.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Sagacity posted:

and, like all developers, they've decided to not learn anything from past mistakes or from other languages. instead, they're going to poorly reinvent the wheel, yet again.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

animist posted:

npm is the only good thing about node

drat lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yeah, wtf?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
npm's UX is easy to use and effective for hooking its target audience, frontend devs who wanna do some backend stuff

it's not good in the sense that it's well-made software, but there's like 3 pieces of well-made software so that's a moot point

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I was excited about small self contained executables. that’s why I use modern C++.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

Fake your death and move to Belize.

I don’t have to fake my death anymore!

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

animist posted:

npm is the only good thing about node

ahahaha

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If anybody is interested about my dumb luck:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/greenlots-announces-acquisition-by-shell-one-of-the-worlds-leading-energy-providers-300786520.html

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only thing node should be used for is running things to unfuck js like prettier, eslint, and typescript

nothing that runs on a server or installed to run on browser

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
typescript is extremely good tho

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

a good deal of voip calls are routed through a 30000+ line C source file

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

ratbert90 posted:

I don’t have to fake my death anymore!

jesus how many people did you have killed with your newfound riches?!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

is PHP still horribly poo poo

a lot of our (externally-developed) customer web stuff runs on it and it at least -looks- relatively competent

they use like two dozen frameworks and typescript and react and stuff

but then its php

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

btw whats the currently recommended python ide (that runs on macos & windows)? ive always just used textwrangler (lol) but im tired of running into dumb syntax error typos

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arcsech posted:

what could possibly go wrong

You see it's okay because the standard way to run this will be through a reverse proxy that intercepts these calls and converta it back into regular dependency calls to locally vendored checked-in deps like Go does*. This is good you see because,

*: go doesn't actually do the reverse proxy thing, instead the compiler takes your "import github.com/foo" and looks for it in $GOPATH/vendor/github.com/foo instead. Or something like that anyway

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

jesus how many people did you have killed with your newfound riches?!

I payed them off.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly I don’t find “there’s a single huge file” that compelling of a horror. complicated things are complicated and files aren’t always the necessary unit of code organization. learn to navigate a source file and you can get by.

the engineering effort of determining an appropriate way to split things and actually doing it while lots of people on a team might be working with that file in different release trains is not necessarily that much bang for buck.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Krankenstyle posted:

btw whats the currently recommended python ide (that runs on macos & windows)? ive always just used textwrangler (lol) but im tired of running into dumb syntax error typos

pycharm

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Private Speech posted:

is PHP still horribly poo poo

a lot of our (externally-developed) customer web stuff runs on it and it at least -looks- relatively competent

they use like two dozen frameworks and typescript and react and stuff

but then its php

if its php7 that makes it better than it was by reducing the terribleness but its still there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thx

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

edit: nm

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

ratbert90 posted:

I made a bit less than $350,000

*sharpens guillotine*

(congrats dude, that's great)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

hackbunny posted:

a good deal of voip calls are routed through a 30000+ line C source file

C code:
	struct sip_peer *peer = /* sip_ref_peer( */ p->relatedpeer /* , "bump refcount on p, as it is being used in this function(handle_response_peerpoke)")*/ ; /* hope this is already refcounted! */

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
python copies by reference by default :wth: :wth: :wth:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Scionix posted:

so does java, c#, most modern langs really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Scionix posted:

i assure you, if it tried to do call by value you’d be cursing harder

reference semantics mean you get tripped up once and then never again. value semantics mean you get tripped up again and again because taking a complex object and producing another instance with the same data but no shared state is actually pretty hard in the general case, and there’s no way for the language to enforce any particular behavior. I hope you like debugging someone else’s subtly broken attempt at copy-on-write as a premature optimisation!

what you should actually do of course is avoid mutable state wherever possible, and then it doesn’t matter how the values are passed.