Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Or CMO! (charter management organization)

I used to be anti-charter schools until I found out how good they can be when done right. I loving love my job and my company.

All you've got to do is refuse to take in any special ed students, then wait until count day to throw out a whole bunch of students and make your dollars/student ratios crazy good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Applied for some jobs. Made me realize that I'm probably not going to get paid as much, so I sure as hell better enjoy any place I leave for.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Or CMO! (charter management organization)

I used to be anti-charter schools until I found out how good they can be when done right. I loving love my job and my company.

Lol get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Charters are poo poo, even the supposed good ones

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Isn’t that where that poor tv guy ended up? A charter school

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well, I was gonna go in to work today despite the polar vertex, but thankfully we got an email to it-all right before I left letting us know that the power is out in our building.

Now I gotta try and get something done with three kids running around the house...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skipdogg posted:

Charters are poo poo, even the supposed good ones

Why are goons making GBS threads on schools?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Because they take money away from already desperately underfunded public schools.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

rafikki posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for Bluetooth headphones that work well for calling? I have these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B9R67WR but I get a lot of complaints when I take calls from somewhere other than a quiet room. I prefer the over the ear style to earbuds.

https://www.jabra.com/business/office-headsets/jabra-evolve/jabra-evolve-75

We use those and I love them.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
So it doesn't matter that kids from those underfunded schools are getting the opportunity for a better education?

(I'm willing to take this discussion to PMs. I know this isn't the thread for it)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today's office plan is bikeshedding, I love it so much!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Oh, sorry. I'm looking for something primarily to listen to music with but can handle helping someone troubleshoot something while walking down the street. I'd prefer to stick with the same style as those anker ones, loose enough to fit in my pocket but still has the bit that wraps over my ear. I've never had a pair of earbuds that actually stay in.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Defenestrategy posted:

Anyone got recommendations for enterprise level antivirus? needs to be OS agnostic to some degree.

Someone did an oopsie and now we apparently need to do better than just using MSE and having our users (software developers) not be bad at the internet.

Couple of pages back, but we just went through a huge POC for anti-virus and settled on Crowdstrike after reviewing about half a dozen vendors.

So far it's pretty magical.

https://www.crowdstrike.com/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Because they take money away from already desperately underfunded public schools.

I think this needs some fact checking.

In texas, charter schools are puplic. They also get funding the same way traditional public schools do, by student attendance. If I remember right they even get less per student than traditional public schools do. I don't see how public schools are going to be better funded if their class sizes are already out of control. Common sense would say that funding per child needs to increase across the board and their issues have nothing to do with charter schools.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So it doesn't matter that kids from those underfunded schools are getting the opportunity for a better education?

(I'm willing to take this discussion to PMs. I know this isn't the thread for it)

Gee, I wonder why those schools are underfunded. Couldn't possibly be the same playbook to privitize everything they've been using for decades.

Sickening posted:

I think this needs some fact checking.

In texas, charter schools are puplic. They also get funding the same way traditional public schools do, by student attendance. If I remember right they even get less per student than traditional public schools do. I don't see how public schools are going to be better funded if their class sizes are already out of control. Common sense would say that funding per child needs to increase across the board and their issues have nothing to do with charter schools.

No, it really doesn't need a fact check. Do some basic research.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Gee, I wonder why those schools are underfunded. Couldn't possibly be the same playbook to privitize everything they've been using for decades.

Cool.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pull up!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In theory charter schools can be good because they have more discretion in curriculum and learning style than fully public schools without the insane cost of private schools. If I had gone to the school my wife went to maybe I would have actually graduated rather than dropping out and going straight to community college. gently caress public school so much.

Funding is its own can of worms.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lovely opinions in the IT thread, well I never!!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
In most states, charter schools function as a legal loophole for parents to shunt special needs kids and at-risk youth from their community into a separate but equal school system. If this problem was substantively addressed, I don't think I'd have any more issue with public/private partnership than I do with any other configuration of private schools

There are good and bad charters and this is actually a nuanced issue

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 30, 2019

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s funny you say that, everyone always assumed that our charter school was a privileged elite school while it simultaneously got the reputation of being where the screw-ups went to avoid the actual school for delinquents.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
One of the principal issues with charters is that they can be selective with admissions, so it’s easier to game the system by kicking out or refusing to admit special needs, disruptive, or just plain underperforming kids which disproportionately affects minority and underprivileged kids.

It’s the same issues with many places having defacto segregation via private schools, except now it’s free to attend so it sucks even more students out of the existing system dooming it to failure.

Accountability and oversight are also a mess as they often fall under statewide regulations bypassing local school boards under unelected agencies that may or may not have the capability or will to be involved or respond to local concerns.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look, I'm sorry for my contribution to the derail and the last I'll say is my concern is that people reading this thread will say "well a smart group of people say charter schools have a bad rap" and if I (or someone else) didn't push back then we're complicit in spreading that opinion. It's also not the thread to discuss the intricies. If someone wants to start a thread in D&D, please link it. Would love to stop by.

*plays free topic hange card*

Fun week for peeps running Exchange.

https://gbhackers.com/microsoft-exchange-server-zero-day/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Look, I'm sorry for my contribution to the derail and the last I'll say is my concern is that people reading this thread will say "well a smart group of people say charter schools have a bad rap" and if I (or someone else) didn't push back then we're complicit in spreading that opinion. It's also not the thread to discuss the intricies. If someone wants to start a thread in D&D, please link it. Would love to stop by.

*plays free topic hange card*

Fun week for peeps running Exchange.

https://gbhackers.com/microsoft-exchange-server-zero-day/

Lol get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo

I dont know, maybe start with actually telling us why you disagree next time or having the self control to ignore it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I dont know, maybe start with actually telling us why you disagree next time or having the self control to ignore it.

I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of my post, friend. If we'd like to have an in-depth discussion on charter schools, we should do it in D&D. In the mean time, I don't want to be someone who complicity supports spreading the message that "they're really great!"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

lovely opinions in the IT thread, well I never!!

THE CLOUD IS GOING TO RENDER NETWORK ENGINEERS OBSOLETE!!! YOU CAN RUN EVERY BUSINESS IN THE CLOUD!!!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

All schools suck, just the one my wife went to sucked the least because they actually cared about students enough to treat them with respect and focus on the individual’s needs.

Unlike the time the principal of my charter school suspended me because someone tried to stab me with a pen and she “didn’t have time” to deal with it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao after being praised for the past 3 months the new director has suddenly pivoted to we aren’t working hard enough and need to multitask better. gently caress oooffffff. He quickly chasing everyone away. I’m just waiting for the first person to leave that sets off the chain reaction.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of my post, friend. If we'd like to have an in-depth discussion on charter schools, we should do it in D&D. In the mean time, I don't want to be someone who complicity supports spreading the message that "they're really great!"

Then have some self control and shut the gently caress up. If you can’t/won’t debate the issue then don’t inject yourself. He was just talking about how he liked his job for Christ’s sake.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

Then have some self control and shut the gently caress up. If you can’t/won’t debate the issue then don’t inject yourself. He was just talking about how he liked his job for Christ’s sake.

Have some self-control!

*continues derail that lots of people are trying to end, while having poor comprehension skills*

I normally like you but you're not a loving mod, so how about we both shut the gently caress up and spare the thread the continued garbage, thanks.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

labor is abused as gently caress in charter schools too. They are not just prep schools for the layman and were the single worst place to land as a teacher.

Look at NO or DET to see that they perform no better or worse than public schools and do so without oversight. Hell, the "online charter school of the future" in Ohio straight up committed fraud with student counts.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Lmao after being praised for the past 3 months the new director has suddenly pivoted to we aren’t working hard enough and need to multitask better. gently caress oooffffff. He quickly chasing everyone away. I’m just waiting for the first person to leave that sets off the chain reaction.
Every "you need to multitask better" is rooted in "I don't know how to say 'not right now' to new projects"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Every "you need to multitask better" is rooted in "I don't know how to say 'not right now' to new projects"

He is so incredibly bored that he’s going around to users and finding issues and sending it directly to us instead of into the IT queue where the appropriate parties can verify it’s even a thing. Most of these “issues” are things that happened once to one user and are weeks if not months old that we then have to chase down and prove are not problems.

He works entirely out of email where he flags every little harebrained idea he cooks up at 11PM and goes down his list wanting status updates on everything flagged. Once he gets an update he reflags it and does the same dance the next day.

This is a loving department director doing this. He really really needs to go back to help desk if that’s what he wants to do.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

George H.W. oval office posted:

He is so incredibly bored that he’s going around to users and finding issues and sending it directly to us instead of into the IT queue where the appropriate parties can verify it’s even a thing. Most of these “issues” are things that happened once to one user and are weeks if not months old that we then have to chase down and prove are not problems.

He works entirely out of email where he flags every little harebrained idea he cooks up at 11PM and goes down his list wanting status updates on everything flagged. Once he gets an update he reflags it and does the same dance the next day.

This is a loving department director doing this. He really really needs to go back to help desk if that’s what he wants to do.

I see my old boss got a job at your company.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Do what I do, break down in excruciating detail that it is impossible for the human brain to "multitask". It's a myth with no foundation similar to the "we only tap 10% of our brain's potential".

These days, I just link this article.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794

quote:

Don't believe the multitasking hype, scientists say. New research shows that we humans aren't as good as we think we are at doing several things at once. But it also highlights a human skill that gave us an evolutionary edge.

As technology allows people to do more tasks at the same time, the myth that we can multitask has never been stronger. But researchers say it's still a myth — and they have the data to prove it.

Humans, they say, don't do lots of things simultaneously. Instead, we switch our attention from task to task extremely quickly.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Do what I do, break down in excruciating detail that it is impossible for the human brain to "multitask". It's a myth with no foundation similar to the "we only tap 10% of our brain's potential".

This doesn't work with people who refuse to read or understand the research because "I multitask all the time"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

This doesn't work with people who refuse to read or understand the research because "I multitask all the time"

:eng99: I know...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Proteus Jones posted:

I can rub my belly and tap my head at the same time. Myth UNBUSTED

Edit:

New floor day 3 update. They added elevator music to our new floors bathrooms and I'm not sure I like it.

Yesterday at 6pm the tidy workplace crew came in and took people's coats who were here at an after-hours meeting. A bunch of people had to go retrieve their coats from some other floor where they put all this crap??

Sepist fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 30, 2019

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
That was an interesting read.

quote:

"People can't multitask very well, and when people say they can, they're deluding themselves," said neuroscientist Earl Miller. And, he said, "The brain is very good at deluding itself."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
El oh El my boss was using some O365 licensing tool and was intending to just remove yammer and managed to strip all O365 licensing off all our users.

He fixed it fast but the blip was enough that peoples mailboxes are taking a while to show back up. We carpool so I get to give him endless poo poo about making changes during production hours.