Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

Disappointed in y'all for not supporting Duckman. Cornfed is the best

This is how I feel every moment of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

*pounds table* Season 1 of Spicy City!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
WE WANT CHILLY WILLY!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Some Enchanted Evening is a good episode.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
IMAGINE liking Principal & the Pauper :eng99:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

dsriggs posted:

Honestly I agree with Bob and Henry (and Allie and Julia). I grew up on the DVDs and only watched the episode for the first time relatively recently (within the past few years), and while it breaks the 'canon' such as it is in a weird and uncomfortable way... it's still a very funny episode, with some great jokes and a solid performance by Martin Sheen. It's not in my top ten by any means, but it's still recognizable as golden age Simpsons-especially in comparison to what's about to come.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

dsriggs posted:

Principal Skinner is my favorite character and I've always loved that episode

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Principal and the Pauper is such an unremarkable episode that I was shocked when I learned people thought it controversial.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
And later Simpsons episodes would use the "this thing is different but now it's the same again, let us never speak of this again" formula a loving ton. The episode where the move homer buries trash under the city, causing a disaster and forcing them to move every building a few miles away, Snowball V, the terrible episode where fat tony dies and a bunch more. It's so lazy.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's not a great episode but yeesh, they've done way worse.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It offers an explanation for why Seymour Skinner is the way he is- he's the person he had to become to stay with Agnes.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Oh man, drumming robot Alex Navarro is on this week's episode for Lisa's Sax. Gonna be a good one.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Nick Soapdish posted:

Oh man, drumming robot Alex Navarro is on this week's episode for Lisa's Sax. Gonna be a good one.

Man thanks for this I've not listened to the show in ages but I'd come back for Alex

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

neongrey posted:

It's not a great episode but yeesh, they've done way worse.

Yea I think people confuse 'this is about when they stopped giving a poo poo and started just pulling ideas out of hats' with 'this was THE WORST EPISODE'.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I was encouraged to hear Bob and Henry say "We're in it for the long haul" recently, because while I think season 9 is still pretty strong they're (relatively) rapidly approaching the point where I jumped ship as a teen and didn't give the series another look until the Movie. It's still over a year away from my demarcation of "It's Bad Now" - Saddlesore Galactica - though there's plenty of crap along the way (Sunday, Cruddy Sunday and Take My Wife, Sleaze come to mind...I'm not a big fan of Bart Carny either, despite being a Swartzwelder script.)

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

I was encouraged to hear Bob and Henry say "We're in it for the long haul" recently, because while I think season 9 is still pretty strong they're (relatively) rapidly approaching the point where I jumped ship as a teen and didn't give the series another look until the Movie. It's still over a year away from my demarcation of "It's Bad Now" - Saddlesore Galactica - though there's plenty of crap along the way (Sunday, Cruddy Sunday and Take My Wife, Sleaze come to mind...I'm not a big fan of Bart Carny either, despite being a Swartzwelder script.)

But Saddlesore Galactica is hilarious.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

dovetaile posted:

But Saddlesore Galactica is hilarious.

It really is not.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bart Carny was the episode that I checked out of The Simpsons on.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm real torn on this because I don't actually know where I fell off of watching the show regularly, but as of where the podcast is, I'm still recalling these episodes. I have no idea what the hell any of the above named ones are, though. I'm unsure if I want to start watching and see what's coming so I have context for the podcasts or just go into wherever the new territory starts for me blind.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I fell off sometime around season 11. Season 10 has a couple gems and it's not completely awful (mostly just mediocre) but it was hard to tell at the time that things were about to get worse. I think season 11 is when I finally stopped watching it regularly on premiere nights.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm glad they're continuing because Simpsons fans are fairly unique in how they've spent more time complaining about the show sucking and relitigating the exact moment that the show got bad than they actually spent watching and enjoying it and Talking Simpsons having a clear cutoff point would just be affirming these awful people. Like if you look at other similarly long-running shows most people just organically had a point where they fell off over time and they're happy to leave it at that, you don't see SpongeBob fans who have spent over a decade arguing about the exact season and episode that the show jumped the shark or going out of their way to watch modern episodes to complain about how much it sucks now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

I'm glad they're continuing because Simpsons fans are fairly unique in how they've spent more time complaining about the show sucking and relitigating the exact moment that the show got bad than they actually spent watching and enjoying it and Talking Simpsons having a clear cutoff point would just be affirming these awful people. Like if you look at other similarly long-running shows most people just organically had a point where they fell off over time and they're happy to leave it at that, you don't see SpongeBob fans who have spent over a decade arguing about the exact season and episode that the show jumped the shark or going out of their way to watch modern episodes to complain about how much it sucks now.

Have you ever actually seen people discuss media online before?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm pretty sure spongebob was the exact cartoon where bob and henry said something similar on WAC and got plenty of comments going 'uh no, there's all kinds of arguing who was the best / worst showrunner and what the golden years were and so on in that fandom'

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Having just checked over the wiki, I've realised I cut back on the simpsons around treehouse of horror 9 around 1998, 21 years, woah

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
It's funny how people don't really talk about them as much, but it was the episodes where it's just Homer hanging out with Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger and Mel Gibson and getting into crazy showbiz antics that really turned me off at the time they originally aired, much more so than Saddlesore Galactica or any of the other usual ones people talk about.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I fell off after the Africa episode, which seemed even worse than all the others had been lately, and I came back to the episode where Ned has premarital sex. It wouldn't be a problem that he's done something that is totally against his beliefs if they just took him seriously as a character. He could reevaluate what he believes and change, or he could realize he's done something wrong and feel bad about it.

Instead he's just flippant about it and doesn't care, because he's no longer Ned Flanders but rather just a thing that dispenses jokes regardless of whether they make any sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't wait for them to do Batman Beyond. I don't read comic books or watch comic book movies but I was totally the right age for this show when it came out and it totally holds up to this day.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I didn't much care for Batman Beyond. I didn't like Terry, and was disappointed when the creators backed off from their "we're not going to use the old rogue's gallery." It basically turned into a reverse Gotham.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Man, this patrons laugh is grating. It wouldn't be so bad if he didn't end every single sentance with HEH HEH HEH

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Bob (And anybody else who hasn't seen it,) please do yourself a favor and watch Frisky Dingo. The entire series is on Hulu with a total runtime of a little over 4 hours, and it makes Archer seem like a comedy operating at half speed in comparison. The pilot is a little pokey (and can be...off-putting at times) but by the end of the second episode the show hits a stride that it really doesn't break until the credits roll on the final episode. "Skytanic" is one of the only episodes of Archer that even approaches the screwball density that Frisky Dingo operates at.

(Also, the bulk of the second season revolves around dueling Presidential campaigns and now seems...incredibly prescient in retrospect.)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I forgot about Homer punching Lisa on the toilet in this episode.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Ok Henry, we get it, you hate your father. You don't need to bring it up every single time you discuss a character who's a bad dad.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Wow, that gun control episode has got to be the most fart sniffing TS episode ever.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 21, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Doppelganger posted:

Ok Henry, we get it, you hate your father. You don't need to bring it up every single time you discuss a character who's a bad dad.

Wait, do you still think this is a Simpsons Podcast? This is clearly Henry's husband contracting Dr Robert Mackey to do his controversial Simpsons-based immersion therapy to solve all those parental issues.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The alt - right reading of the Lisa scene is correct, which is why that scene sucks.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

The alt - right reading of the Lisa scene is correct, which is why that scene sucks.

It's maybe the worse Lisa scene in all of the first ten seasons.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh, man, I hadn't heard of that and it's true. It starts as a funny nod to "Hey, remember Lisa on Ice" and then just gets mean. There's definitely something to that late 90's "End of History" mentality and its lingering effects.

Also, I know the hosts had a lengthy discussion about how sports ignorant they are, but even a middle school nerdlinger like me knew that the 1997 NCAA Tournament came down to the Arizona Wildcats and the Kentucky Wildcats in the championship game. It was a very timely reference for the show to make, and probably why the name only comes up in that one scene.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

JethroMcB posted:

Bob (And anybody else who hasn't seen it,) please do yourself a favor and watch Frisky Dingo. The entire series is on Hulu with a total runtime of a little over 4 hours, and it makes Archer seem like a comedy operating at half speed in comparison. The pilot is a little pokey (and can be...off-putting at times) but by the end of the second episode the show hits a stride that it really doesn't break until the credits roll on the final episode. "Skytanic" is one of the only episodes of Archer that even approaches the screwball density that Frisky Dingo operates at.

(Also, the bulk of the second season revolves around dueling Presidential campaigns and now seems...incredibly prescient in retrospect.)

yeah that show ruled

i always forget that killer mike voiced the rapper and the songs they gave him are so funny

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's maybe the worse Lisa scene in all of the first ten seasons.

i kept thinking about this post and chuckling while they were talking about 'the dot' scene in this week's episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

i kept thinking about this post and chuckling while they were talking about 'the dot' scene in this week's episode

Eh, I stand by it.