Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What was said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ICHIBAHN posted:

What was said

Writing it down really doesn't do it justice, but basically it was Bryan going on a rant about Bruce Pritchard saying we'd all miss Michael Cole when he was gone. Bryan went off his loving rocker about it and said that even when he personally says something stupid you can guarantee there will be one person at least who agrees with him, but Pritchard's statement is so stupid that NOBODY would ever agree.

You really need to hear Bryan going off while Vinny and Craig giggle to get the full effect.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I do think it's at least possible they find someone worse than Cole as his replacement.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Remember when Cole commentated on the first UK tournament and everyone was like "oh wow, he was good?" Because the problem isn't Cole, it's the senile old man screaming in Cole's ear. I can't see Cole leaving and the quality changing positively. Vince being too busy with the XFL? Maybe. Fingers crossed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I didn’t think he was that good at all, I think the people who say that are too used to how utterly god-awful he is on RAW. He’s just good *by comparison* on those shows imo

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

I didn’t think he was that good at all, I think the people who say that are too used to how utterly god-awful he is on RAW. He’s just good *by comparison* on those shows imo

I thought he was okay with Taz.

But then again the show was really good so maybe that made it easy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"Pin after a mini invasion"

"Mini Invasion!?...I guess they were short"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
All of my favorite mid week podcasts are on hiatus so I was worried I'd have nothing to listen to this morning. Thankfully, Dave fell off his bike.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

His closest competition at the time from memory was Chris Benoit and Kenta Kobashi which is pretty amazing company to be in.

Kawada was 100% better than Triple H in 2000

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
That Bryan rant came out of nowhere and I loved it. Wow.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

its week 1 of Bryan relistening to Mark Madden

the pivot will come soon

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

absolutely amazing lol

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
We were real close to getting a "Dave and his crazy, hot, ex-girlfriend" story and Garrett needs to learn when to lean into those.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

We were real close to getting a "Dave and his crazy, hot, ex-girlfriend" story and Garrett needs to learn when to lean into those.
man I was holding my breath for a Bull Nakano story

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I would really like to hear the story of how he became friends again with the ex from the banana story.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is WOR worth subscribing to? I don't necessarily have time to listen to a whole lot of content, but you guys make the B&V stuff sound really entertaining.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Is WOR worth subscribing to? I don't necessarily have time to listen to a whole lot of content, but you guys make the B&V stuff sound really entertaining.
WON is almost always good if you want news and Dave’s opinion on important shows

B&V has the retro show, which everyone loves, the granny show which splits opinion, and the NWA show which apparently lots of people skip but it’s a great listen especially if you want to hear Bryan bury terrible 80s jobbers

Pacific Rim is fantastic

Filthy 4 is terrible, Observer Live is terrible, both because Bryan’s co hosts are insufferable

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

just read this thread like 3 pages ago

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

They post minute-by-minute breakdowns of what they discuss in each WOR episode so you can skip around if you're not interested in something or don't have time for the full episode, it's super convenient. They do tons of podcast content but the newsletter alone is worth the price IMO.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I only ever read the newsletter but the Pacific Rim podcast is making me want to resub.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Dango Bango posted:

It is a rite of passage for more "serious" online Wrestling fans. I know a lot of fans who "grew out of" B&V but there's always an initial love affair with the show.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

Now might be one of the better times to subscribe. Dave broke his arm and won't be able to write the observer for the next 8 weeks. He's saying that he's going to be doing a show every day until he can type again.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dave should use his davebux and hire a fuckin typist.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dango Bango posted:

As a new subscriber, I totally recommend it. They're just plain funny guys and their opinions are often agreeable. And, even if they're wrong, I don't hate 'em for it. Failure to appreciate Kevin Nash is just one of those things I've learned to accept as a wrestling fan. Also Dave knows everything about wrestling history so it's educational.

You can find tons of their clips on YT as well. They have a YT channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPcc1MbakHpB8F1vIDvUJBg

Just to give you a good sample of what you're buying.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 30, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Isn't one WOR episode a week available free?

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Is Dave still going to release star ratings for matches?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

fatherofmustard posted:

Is Dave still going to release star ratings for matches?

We really won't know anything until we see what the first issue looks like

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

As a new subscriber, I totally recommend it. They're just plain funny guys and their opinions are often agreeable. And, even if they're wrong, I don't hate 'em for it. Failure to appreciate Kevin Nash is just one of those things I've learned to accept as a wrestling fan. Also Dave knows everything about wrestling history so it's educational.

You can find tons of their clips on YT as well. They have a YT channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPcc1MbakHpB8F1vIDvUJBg

Just to give you a good sample of what you're buying.

I've been watching these when they come out which is part of what got me asking. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a "trailer is better than the movie" or too much of a greatest hits type of thing before subbing.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

its week 1 of Bryan relistening to Mark Madden

the pivot will come soon

Yeah I chuckled when Vinny announced Mark Madden was on commentary not long after Bryan's meltdown. For all his faults (some of which aren't his but the fault of a senile old man yelling in his ear) Cole does have the ability to do fine commentary (his call of Mankind's win in 1999, Daniel Bryan's win at WM30). Mark Madden brings nothing to the table, and what's worse is he's replacing Bobby Heenan who even when drunk and not giving a poo poo is still better. I would rather listen to 3 Michael Coles than one Mark Madden

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

coconono posted:

Dave should use his davebux and hire a fuckin typist.

He has never hired anyone to clean up his insane abuse of the English language, so he's not going to get a typist.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I chuckled when Vinny announced Mark Madden was on commentary not long after Bryan's meltdown. For all his faults (some of which aren't his but the fault of a senile old man yelling in his ear) Cole does have the ability to do fine commentary (his call of Mankind's win in 1999, Daniel Bryan's win at WM30). Mark Madden brings nothing to the table, and what's worse is he's replacing Bobby Heenan who even when drunk and not giving a poo poo is still better. I would rather listen to 3 Michael Coles than one Mark Madden
both those examples suck, the only good Cole call was The Dog Poop The Dog Poop The Dog Poop

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave would have to hire a typist to follow him around 18 hours a day. He doesn't write like a normal person.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

He has never hired anyone to clean up his insane abuse of the English language, so he's not going to get a typist.

Part of the Wrestling Observer's charm for me is the insane typos and weird sentence structure.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dictate poo poo and send it to the typist to type in verbatim. It'll be a hoot.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Angry_Ed posted:

Mark Madden got Bill Watts fired

What has Cole done

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mark Madden has then gone onto having a glorious career of harassing women and inciting only mobs against them for daring report on sports.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

Mark Madden has then gone onto having a glorious career of harassing women and inciting only mobs against them for daring report on sports.

On more than one occasion (twice) I have been at a bar and turned around to see who was being casually racist behind me and found Mark Madden.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

dictate poo poo and send it to the typist to type in verbatim. It'll be a hoot.

If they leave out the trailing offs, the rustling of papers, the beep of the fire alarm and the constant ringing phone I'll be furious.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Kimoa Kid posted:

On more than one occasion (twice) I have been at a bar and turned around to see who was being casually racist behind me and found Mark Madden.

Why are you around Mark Madden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

Why are you around Mark Madden

Perhaps Mark Madden is the It Follows of wrestling commentators