Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It could very well be the wishes of the author. Japanese authors can have an inordinate amount of control over their series (which is usually great, but can backfire if they have weird views on technology and digital distribution and such) and it can result in very specific conditions for release. It can also result in neat things like eichiiro oda putting pretty much all of one piece available for free online because he knows kids can't afford to buy 90 volumes of manga.

Or they could just be putting off a digital version for later. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, I forgot to post this. Another recommendation, in the vein of Masturbation Master Kurosawa that I recommended ages ago; a series about a horribly broken person stumbling and failing their way through life, and growing over time.

You've likely heard of it, seen gifs of the anime, etc, it was all over the place when the anime came out and for a bit managed to break out of the anime bubble into some small mainstream success. It's called

WataMote(It's Not My Fault I'm Not Popular!) or the below title

This is douche chills: the series. The main character, Tomoko Kuroki, is referred to as a "MoJo", japanese slang for an intensely unpopular woman. She is a hardcore 2channer with very poor judgement and her life revolves around anime, dating sims/eroge and games, with little to no human interaction outside of school besides harassing her brother/childhood friend and beating little kids at yugioh at the game store. She has a deplorable mindset about other people, her mind isn't even in the gutter but perpetually somewhere far below it, and has absurd presumptions about others and their proclivities. If you have issues with feeling too empathetic/pity for others or cringe humor and ESPECIALLY if you relate to aspects of Tomoko, this series can really hurt to read at times, as Tomoko is in a constant state of self-owning. It's occasionally funny, occasionally incredibly unfunny and painful on purpose, can be extremely raunchy, and pretty much always awkward.

AND YET! There is hope for her. It does not always revolve around Tomoko being Suffering Incarnate, but it never strays too far from Tomoko or another character doing something really offputting and making the situation awkward. Eventually there's a point where Tomoko has the "man, I'm a trainwreck of a human being" epiphany and does what she can to change herself. It's hard going, and she certainly fucks up along the way, and still does quite a bit even now, but she's far more normal and sociable than she was at the start of the series. There's quite a lot of chapters to the series at the moment, around 150ish, and as of the current chapters, Tomoko has gradually grown as a person, is in her third year of high school, and has (current volume cover)actual friends as well as a few acquaintances. She's even talked to a boy casually, in a totally realistic manner! There's a lot of pain to be had in this series, and it can get pretty inappropriate, but it's interesting to see her break out of her awful, awful shell over the course of the series. Takes a while, though. :v:

Volume 1 on Amazon
The full anime on Crunchyroll, covers the first few volumes of the manga

These three pages sum up the series really well:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 25, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Apologies for the triple post, but Dorohedoro just finished, and finished pretty strong. The story got pretty jumbled for a bit but it sorted itself out and the epilogue(spoilers, obviously) is excellent.

Oh, and also, and this I say with a fuckin' LOT of dread because it's one of the only series I don't think can truly be done justice in animated form, but along with the final chapter they have announced an anime. No studio name announced yet, but I fuckin' hope it's a good one, and they have a huge budget, because they're going to absolutely need it for making the world of Dorohedoro as filthy as possible, and the characters as grungy as possible. If there's a surface that isn't caked in gore, debris, rot, decay, or rust, the anime will be a failure

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Captain Invictus posted:

Apologies for the triple post, but Dorohedoro just finished, and finished pretty strong. The story got pretty jumbled for a bit but it sorted itself out and the epilogue(spoilers, obviously) is excellent.

Oh, and also, and this I say with a fuckin' LOT of dread because it's one of the only series I don't think can truly be done justice in animated form, but along with the final chapter they have announced an anime. No studio name announced yet, but I fuckin' hope it's a good one, and they have a huge budget, because they're going to absolutely need it for making the world of Dorohedoro as filthy as possible, and the characters as grungy as possible. If there's a surface that isn't caked in gore, debris, rot, decay, or rust, the anime will be a failure

Remember those Ren and stimpy gross close-ups

just animate those

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is loving HUGE HOLY poo poo. :bignews::bignews::bignews:

https://www.viz.com/wsj-member

Viz is basically making an officially licensed manga-reading site like kissmanga, mangadex, etc, but for licensed Viz titles. And you can read everything for 2 bucks a month, 100 chapter limit per day, which to be honest should be quite difficult for most people to hit even if they tried outside of content-less series like Bleach.

This is a seriously cool thing they're doing and smart as hell. There's a goddamn lot available through them and I will absolutely be signing up to support them, and you should too!

In fact, I said I wouldn't do this, but gently caress it, I'm doing it, in light of this announcement that will allow you to read the whole thing from the beginning legally and translated properly! Time for my Literal Favorite Series Of Anything Ever In Any Medium Period! Strap in, it's gonna be a long one!

ONE PIECE

There once was a man named Gold Roger. He had traveled the seas, seen everything there was to see. Nobody was his equal, he was King of the Pirates. But one day, he was captured and executed by the World Government. Smiling as the blades descended, he shouted to the throng below the gallows; "You want my treasure? You can have it! I left everything I gathered together in one place. Now you'll just have to find it!" and the Age of Pirates was born!

One Piece follows Monkey D. Luffy, an aspiring young man who, as a child, ate the Gum-Gum Devil Fruit by accident and became a rubber man. He sets out to sea to build a crew and become King of the Pirates. Along the way, he encounters incredible dangers, fantastic sights, and some pretty dang weird characters. But he's always got his rather unique personality pushing him along, as well as his crewmates.

One Piece has been running for over 20 years now and is well over 900 chapters. I've been reading it weekly for the most part since the early oughts, back when scans were both barely legible and barely scrutable, as entire pages were often under 700 pixels high and proportionally wide. It's pretty difficult to describe One Piece, as it's a massive series both in length and scale. One Piece is about Luffy's story, for sure, but the story always veers around to the goings-on around the world as well, political machinations, major shake-ups on the world scene, ramifications of Luffy's or other's actions, the world of One Piece is incredibly consistent and feels like a real breathing world despite the outlandish, fantastical things that constantly happen in it. Mangroves made of city-sized trees that ooze sap that forms bubbles, which are harnessed as flying devices by the locals. A gaping, bottomless void in the middle of the ocean, descending into who knows where. Sea leviathans the size of rhode island. A bed of undersea volcanoes that erupt on a set schedule, sending pillars of seawater high into the clouds. The locales of One Piece are just part of the wonder, as the cast of characters(apparently well over 900 different named characters as of a couple arcs ago, though many only show up for a panel or two) is positively colossal and the designs are just...just really out there a lot of the time. This is a fairly old spread at this point, but shows off a lot of the various more prominent characters, both heroes and villains, who show up in the first half of the series:

You may be one of the many folks turned off from the series after the horrific botching of the anime by 4kids many years back. While I would recommend against watching the anime as it eventually bogs down into ridiculous filler and just obscene pacing problems, the early episodes, first 100 or so, are probably worth seeing still. Otherwise stick to the manga. The artstyle can take some getting used to for some, but it's by no means bad, just stylized, and genuinely improves over time(though the women tend to start looking a lot like nami). My standard recommendation method is to read up through the Arlong Park arc. That's roughly the first 100 chapters. That may seem like a lot, and it is for any normal series, but One Piece runs on building things up over time. Arlong Park is the payoff to the entire prologue(pre-Grand Line) and it really is one of the most satisfying arcs I can think of in a manga. After that kicks off the Grand Line, which makes up a majority of the series.

Oda is a master of the Chekhov's Gun. I've lovingly referred to his use of it as Chekhov's Arsenal. Characters who you think have been done and dealt with ages ago will show up again in the many concurrent Chapter Cover arcs, as each chapter has a "front page" with either a non-sequitur image of characters doing stuff by request, or a cover arc, where side stories happen, or follow up on defeated enemies/victorious friends, that sort of thing. Over the course of the series, these small single page stories have greatly improved the behind-the-scenes storytelling while the main series progresses. Or he'll just casually bring around an explanation for something that was readily apparent ages prior, if you connected the dots. And the flashbacks, hoo boy. You might not think you'll cry at things that may happen in this series, but One Piece can absolutely make you cry about the most seemingly innocuous things.

And finally, One Piece is big. Like, really, really, big. We are talking eclipsing spiderman in sheer volume of sales and will likely overtake batman in total comic sales by the time it's finished big, possibly even take the #1 spot from superman. For at least a decade it outsold every single other top 10 manga series COMBINED. That's including Naruto, Bleach, Slam Dunk, Attack on Titan, etc. Even this year when it "merely" only outsold the next highest by a couple million, that's only because they released one less volume(3 rather than 4) this year. One Piece merch is everywhere in Japan, and rapidly spreading throughout the world. And it's easy to see why, One Piece is the most consistently good shonen series of all time. I can only think of three times it's seriously stumbled in over 20 years, that's an insanely good track record for something released every week, and even those would be considered "standard fare" bad stuff in series like bleach or naruto.

With that, I will leave you with one last thing, Oda likes to draw big color spreads of the characters doing pretty much anything he can think of. Building a house out of people-sized Legos? Sure! Having a barbecue with a bunch of dogs in t-shirts? Why not! Completely change his artstyle into a more japanese woodprint style and draw the characters as samurai? You betcha! Casual hangouts in real-world clothes at a cafe, basketball throwdowns, football matches, sea-faring Wacky Races, super sentai, astro boy parodies, anything goes. The color spreads and non-sequitur chapter covers are obviously non-canon, but they are just a joy to see every time. I have picked out some of my favorites that are as spoiler-free as I can find.

There's also a very good Anituber called Super Eyepatch Wolf who did two excellent videos about One Piece(and does excellent videos about other stuff too):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqnC-eVwrE&hd=1

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Am I mistaken or is this going to kick the aforementioned kissmanga and the like right in the dick?

This also makes a total joke out of Marvel's online sub program, where the new stuff is three months old.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ehhh this is just for shonen jump afaik, which does have a lot of popular titles, but pirate sites like kissmanga host all sorts of poo poo so i dont think its gonna make them disappear any time soon even if it will hurt traffic

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
People will absolutely go for the official scans over the tanjiadohh lofulamingo-sama (Don Quixote Doflamingo) or BISOROMI BEAR (Bartholomew Kuma)-level translations I think. The only issue is the week early scan leaks.

I think it includes anything in shonen jump, right? Past and present? That's a significant backlog. I have little doubt they'd expand it eventually too, just have a whole big catalog, maybe make deals with other publishers. Netflix for manga. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

People will absolutely go for the official scans over the tanjiadohh lofulamingo-sama (Don Quixote Doflamingo) or BISOROMI BEAR (Bartholomew Kuma)-level translations I think. The only issue is the week early scan leaks.

Of course the fanlations are where you can only get the ACTUAL cursing and not watered down like in the official translations. (Which is an excuse I've seen with my own eyes.)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Am I mistaken or is this going to kick the aforementioned kissmanga and the like right in the dick?

This also makes a total joke out of Marvel's online sub program, where the new stuff is three months old.

They will still have all the non-american readers

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

site posted:

Ehhh this is just for shonen jump afaik, which does have a lot of popular titles, but pirate sites like kissmanga host all sorts of poo poo so i dont think its gonna make them disappear any time soon even if it will hurt traffic

Kissmanga has already kicked themselves in the dick by essentially mandating no adblock with a variety of measures that are now near impossible to overcome without constant updating of various greasemonkey scripts. Everybody is jumping ship on them and going to other aggregators. But I agree with you that it's only gonna be mainstream shounen stuff, so not really gonna put any kind of dent in scanslation. Also, it's still not free.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
It's still just Shounen Jump and calling it the netlix of manga is really an overstatement. Sure it has a lot of stuff but when most of it is hotblooded boys being stupid and loud while bigtittied ladies are bigtittied (or alternatively little sisters are flatchested) I'm going to take a hard pass.

Also One Piece sucks IMO but I understand people have differing opinions.

Call me when they do the same deal with the stuff Viz has published in their Signature lineup.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

hot take: shonen is the superhero comics of manga

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Arbitrary Number posted:

That's a pretty lukewarm take

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Andrast posted:

That's a pretty lukewarm take

i mean, fair

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ryonguy posted:

Kissmanga has already kicked themselves in the dick by essentially mandating no adblock with a variety of measures that are now near impossible to overcome without constant updating of various greasemonkey scripts. Everybody is jumping ship on them and going to other aggregators.

Rip

Dynasty-s is the only place for me so i won't miss em anyways

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Arbitrary Number posted:

That's exactly what it is though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Laputanmachine posted:

It's still just Shounen Jump and calling it the netlix of manga is really an overstatement.
I said it could be the netflix of manga, not that it is. If they get other companies/stuff from viz on board, it could snowball into something amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

I said it could be the netflix of manga, not that it is. If they get other companies/stuff from viz on board, it could snowball into something amazing.

Yeah, just getting like Kodansha and Yen Press onboard would be gigantic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, have stuff you could add on with. Certain companies/types, add a buck a month. I'd do 10 a month if they added enough and the reader wasn't poo poo.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Why would competing publishers bundle their product together? The opposite is already happening in streaming media, all the various production corporations creating their own little streaming service so everyone has to sub to theirs to get the individual shows they want to watch (which is incidentally leading to a resurgence in "piracy").

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, just getting like Kodansha and Yen Press onboard would be gigantic.

Uh does Yen Press do anything of worth besides Dungeon Meshi? All their other stuff looks like mediocre d-list works copying bigger sellers from other publishers, like Hatchette is just hoovering up whatever titles don't have a license without any regard to quality.

edit: Never mind they do Yotsuba, they're cool.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 9, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ryonguy posted:

Uh does Yen Press do anything of worth besides Dungeon Meshi? All their other stuff looks like mediocre d-list works copying bigger sellers from other publishers, like Hatchette is just hoovering up whatever titles don't have a license without any regard to quality.

Yen Press reps for Kadokawa which is huge and why I mentioned them.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

ryonguy posted:

Aside from Yotsuba they also have Bride's Story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So, Please Love the Useless Me just finally got wrapped up by scanlations. I recommended it here last year, and I hope some folks picked it up and followed it, because it's probably in my top 3 favorite romance series maybe ever. The humor is absolutely top notch, it follows full-blown adults instead of highschoolers(the heroine is 30), the romance is believable and the trauma is spot on(having familial experience with grifters, it definitely smacks of someone who's dealt with them before), every single named character is wonderful and it ends very strongly(and apparently a sequel started up shortly after!). I absolutely, 100% recommend it without exception. It's a huge step up from their previous work, Lovely Complex, which I also loved a lot and had a lot of the same humor, but definitely felt like a more inexperienced work compared to Damekoi(the shorthand folks use for this series). It's a goddamned shame it's never been licensed in english, but the entire series in Japanese can be had on Amazon, with used copies averaging about 5 bucks each volume.

Here's the original recommendation for convenience:

Captain Invictus posted:

Another recommendation from me, by a well-respected author whose previous major work, Lovely Complex, was a pretty outstanding school-based romcom that bucked the general trend of romance series where it ends as soon as the two main characters actually start going out, and instead follows them for a good while before ending. Definitely worth a look, and it was genuinely funny instead of awkwardly attempting to be so like a lot of romcoms.

This new series(well, "new", it's completed at 10 volumes), Please Love the Useless Me, follows a 30-something woman who is rather aimless in life and has a history of being too trusting and getting taken advantage of. She's not sure what to do with herself, and starts working at a cafe run by her old boss from a former job. It's genuinely hilarious, one of the funniest manga that isn't predicated solely on humor that I've read, and also deals with some serious topics well, but never gets too deep into the weeds. Very charming, and the scanlations have been coming out fairly swiftly, with chapters currently being on volume 8. The slapfights between the two main characters are incredible.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Captain Invictus posted:

So, Please Love the Useless Me just finally got wrapped up by scanlations. I recommended it here last year, and I hope some folks picked it up and followed it, because it's probably in my top 3 favorite romance series maybe ever. The humor is absolutely top notch, it follows full-blown adults instead of highschoolers(the heroine is 30), the romance is believable and the trauma is spot on(having familial experience with grifters, it definitely smacks of someone who's dealt with them before), every single named character is wonderful and it ends very strongly(and apparently a sequel started up shortly after!). I absolutely, 100% recommend it without exception. It's a huge step up from their previous work, Lovely Complex, which I also loved a lot and had a lot of the same humor, but definitely felt like a more inexperienced work compared to Damekoi(the shorthand folks use for this series). It's a goddamned shame it's never been licensed in english, but the entire series in Japanese can be had on Amazon, with used copies averaging about 5 bucks each volume.

Here's the original recommendation for convenience:

Oh, hey. I remember you posting this initially, reading up to what was currently out, and then forgetting to keep up with it. Thanks, this'll be a real treat to catch up on. It really is a super endearing series, with just the right balance between goofiness and sweetness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If you're on android, would highly recommend this reader app i discovered the other day

https://github.com/inorichi/tachiyomi

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I think it includes anything in shonen jump, right? Past and present? That's a significant backlog. I have little doubt they'd expand it eventually too, just have a whole big catalog, maybe make deals with other publishers. Netflix for manga. :v:

it really depends on the manga. You can read all of the current/recent past big manga, so One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Food Wars, My Hero Academia, Dragonball and some others. Stuff that’s in the weekly book are also available. The biggest ones you can’t read without buying the volumes are

Jojo’s
Yuyu hakusho
One Punch Man

If it says chapters or chapters with volumes, it can be read with the subscription. If it just says volumes it can only be bought. I hope that expands to Jojo and OPM soon because I want to read those

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's s fantastic series that's started up, it's not an isekai, just traditional fantasy setting.

The Knight on the Frontier, Bard Loen

quote:

Abandoning money, fame and honor, the knight Bard embarks on a journey to find his final resting place. Tasting delicious food, admiring the unfamiliar scenery all by himself, his journey to find a place to die quietly begins.
What he doesn't know however, is that this is the beginning of a new adventure for him.

Series centered around older folks aren't super common, and I really like this one even if it gets preeeeetty melancholy at times. It has quite a good bit of humor to it, and Bard is a great protagonist. Also plenty of good looking cooking and food in it and the hearty enjoyment thereof. Only a little under a dozen chapters translated as of now, but the story definitely grabbed me, and the setting is an interesting one. The massive wall that extends as far as the eye can see and upwards into the clouds, except for a single slit that allows monsters to cross over into the human realms is properly portrayed as, well, monolithic.

Not licensed(yet), but links to get the Japanese versions are on the mangadex page. Great site.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 13, 2019

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Inspector Kurokochi

Warning: First page starts off with a nude women's corpse. It's a grungy cop series, but so far that's the worst of it; the rest is general action movie violence, nothing on the level of, say, Ichi the Killer.

The titular character is a crooked as hell cop, despised by all the other officers in his precinct. The bad cops hate him because of all the dirt he has on them, and the good cops hate him because he makes the police force look bad (and also because of all the dirt he has on them). A younger police officer is assigned as his partner to get evidence that will finally put him away for good, but all is not as it seems when it comes to the seemingly irredeemable policeman, who while being blatantly corrupt also appears to have a purpose behind his actions (although he still manages to enrich himself at every opportunity).

The art style is strongly reminiscent of Crows the delinquent manga especially in the wild facial expressions. It has interesting twists and turns that while you don't like Kurokochi you can't help but root for him as he goes after people way worse than himself. Apparently it has 23 volumes, with only two translated so far, so there's quite a bit to come and the scanslators seem to be releasing it pretty regularly. I like it because there aren't nearly enough gritty cop mangas. If the opening puts you off, well, I won't blame you for not wanting to continue, but it doesn't set the tone for the rest of the series. If somebody else has read ahead on raws and I'm wrong, let me know.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1089697832993357824?s=19

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

This is pretty great. I prefer physical manga unless it's some really obscure stuff that's never getting published here, but this is a good find for someone who's interested in them.

Assassination Classroom and JoJos for free is a great deal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that's a great thing that more companies are doing more to provide widespread, affordable avenues to read stuff. It being global is a huge thing, a lot of the issues with this stuff is regional licensing.

speaking of affordable avenues to read stuff, humble bundle has a fantastic deal going on that includes, among other things, multiple volumes of Battle Angel Alita, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, To Your Eternity, Mushishi, Land of the Lustrous, Flying Witch, and Cells at Work. Definitely worth grabbing the 20 dollar tier, that's a shitload of largely high quality manga for a pittance.

doomrider7 posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...es_tile_index_1

Humble Bundle from Kodansha that has the following tiers,

$1
Drifting Dragons(1-3)

$8
Land of the Lustrous(1-5), Clockwork Planet(1-5), Flying Witch(1-4)

$15
Cells at Work(1-4), Heavens Design Team(1-2), Fire Force(anime soon, 1-10), Pumpkin Scissors(1-15)

$18
Norigami(1-6), I'm Standing on a Million Lives(1-4), Altair: Record of Battles(1-8)

$20
Reincarnated as a Slime(1-4), To Your Eternity(1-7), Mushishi(1-10), Battle Angel Alita(1-3)

Even on Sale Slime retails for $6 and some change so this is a REALLY good deal.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

This is pretty great. I prefer physical manga unless it's some really obscure stuff that's never getting published here, but this is a good find for someone who's interested in them.

Assassination Classroom and JoJos for free is a great deal.

Eating my hat right now because I read the first chapter of Curtains Up, I'm Off and that's totally my anxious poo poo so I'm in this now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, that's a great thing that more companies are doing more to provide widespread, affordable avenues to read stuff. It being global is a huge thing, a lot of the issues with this stuff is regional licensing.

speaking of affordable avenues to read stuff, humble bundle has a fantastic deal going on that includes, among other things, multiple volumes of Battle Angel Alita, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, To Your Eternity, Mushishi, Land of the Lustrous, Flying Witch, and Cells at Work. Definitely worth grabbing the 20 dollar tier, that's a shitload of largely high quality manga for a pittance.

Kodansha do excellent digital manga bundles and I'll be dropping the full $20USD on that lot myself :shepspends:.

Edit: Invicticus, could you tweak that bundle list to show which ones are actually full runs? I know that Mushishi's complete at 10 volumes, but I'm curious about some of the others that have more than 3-4 volumes.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 31, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heads up, the Shonen Jump subscription service just added One Punch Man to its catalog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's fantastic. One Punch Man is one of the most gorgeous series out there, even if it does go into the weeds a bit plotwise.

For anyone who checks this thread out still, please go see Alita: Battle Angel. In addition to being a frankly accurate almost to a fault rendition of the manga I recommended in here years ago, it's just a drat fun movie in general, and Alita is just a great character you want to root for. The big eyes thing put a lot of people off, but it's something you stop noticing very quickly(average I hear is about ~15 minutes) and it even gets explained eventually. If the sequels get made, you're gonna see some wild poo poo, so I'd love for everyone to see it in theaters when possible because it's a joy to see in action. All the action scenes, and there's TONS of them, are excellently choreographed and have zero shakycam. Hell, they even bumped the appearance of the bounty hunter who has four cyborg dogs up to the start of the series so he could be in the first movie, it's great. The rotten tomatoes reviews are good(60%), but the audience score is extremely high, at 94%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cislZ9S0ocA&hd=1&t=6s

Also, I've got another Sampler in the works, this one is pretty much all Isekai I think, because man there's a loving LOT of them and some actually aren't bad. I've already mentioned a few before but there's plenty more coming out all the time, so sooner or later some have to hit the mark.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
How much of BAA has been adapted in the movie? Up to which volume roughly?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ryonguy posted:

How much of BAA has been adapted in the movie? Up to which volume roughly?

I'd like to say the first two volumes, more or less. Like Alita does motorball in the flick and it's introduced in the second volume, but she doesn't do the main motorball story that was in the second volume. Really it's a combination of the first volume and the OVA.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I'm def gonna pass then, you'd have trouble fitting just the first volume into one movie, and cramming in two haphazardly with missing/out of place scenes left and right just doesn't sound like something I'd want to see. More like a BAA flavored action movie than an adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ryonguy posted:

I'm def gonna pass then, you'd have trouble fitting just the first volume into one movie, and cramming in two haphazardly with missing/out of place scenes left and right just doesn't sound like something I'd want to see. More like a BAA flavored action movie than an adaptation.

Rodriguez was actually really deft in putting the movie together. If you enjoy the source material and don't see it, honestly it's your loss.