Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tato posted:

Was he just a tough guy brawler before he came to WWF or did he also portray his character as one IQ point above Eugene in UWF/Mid South?

Brawler, but he wasn't a caricature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBNU99wEZ5E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tato posted:

Was he just a tough guy brawler before he came to WWF or did he also portray his character as one IQ point above Eugene in UWF/Mid South?
Actually he's a very - are you ready for this? - he's a very intelligent man

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Davros1 posted:

Brawler, but he wasn't a caricature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBNU99wEZ5E

Thanks, pretty good brawling.

Man, the difference between pre and post-overdose Terry Gordy is such a bummer.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

jesus WEP posted:

Actually he's a very - are you ready for this? - he's a very intelligent man

Hahahahaha, college!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Does anybody know who was inside the coffins during the Chamber of Horrors match at Halloween Havoc 91? At least one masked wrestler comes out of a casket and gets body slammed by Sting. I can't find any info online on who this was.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So I just watched a clip of Vince McMahon growling "Do you know what E stands for? ENIS! You're an Enis! You're...AN ANUS!!" at some dude in a wig and fake mustache. What the gently caress?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a webpage or wiki with a list of all the belts used by major companies, preferably with pictures?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a webpage or wiki with a list of all the belts used by major companies, preferably with pictures?

Are you looking to legitimize the weed belt

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLzzh2aX7wE

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I thought that was every title RVD held?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Excuse me that is the Planetary WWE title. thank you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The only good idea reddit ever had was that Daniel Bryan should be endorsed by the World Wildlife Fund and declare himself the WWF champion

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

These guys would be the experts:

http://www.belttalk.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=12

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So I just watched a clip of Vince McMahon growling "Do you know what E stands for? ENIS! You're an Enis! You're...AN ANUS!!" at some dude in a wig and fake mustache. What the gently caress?

Back in May '09, an arena that was supposed to hold an episode of Raw was double-booked with a Denver Nuggets game. As a result Raw had to be hastily moved to Los Angeles.

The man in the wig and stache was a caricature of Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke, who had just cut a heel promo on WWE fans because of course he would.

You see, Vince was incredibly mad at Kroenke, blaming him for the whole mix-up, and had earlier in a news interview challenged him to a cage match because of course he would.

The episode's finale featured five-man tag teams wearing Nuggets and Lakers jerseys. The Lakers team won because of course they would.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Stan Kroenke's first name is Enos. He also sucks rear end.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Stan Kroenke and Vince McMahon killing eachother would be excellent

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Stan Kroenke's first name is Enos. He also sucks rear end.

They also promoted the 'encounter' with this image:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The funny thing is that nonsense ended up costing Mr. Kennedy his job and position as like the illegitimate McMahon kid or something.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The funny thing is that nonsense ended up costing Mr. Kennedy his job and position as like the illegitimate McMahon kid or something.

That was like 2 years before. He got wellnessed and that was the end of his push. Dropping Randy on his recently surgically repaired shoulder was the last straw.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
It would be funny if that whole debacle prevented WrestleMania from ending up at the new Rams / Chargers Stadium being built in LA.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The only good idea reddit ever had was that Daniel Bryan should be endorsed by the World Wildlife Fund and declare himself the WWF champion

I don't know, I kind of want to see No Waste Jose.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bradzilla posted:

That was like 2 years before. He got wellnessed and that was the end of his push. Dropping Randy on his recently surgically repaired shoulder was the last straw.

My bad. I guess that timeline all condensed with me. I wasn't exactly paying attention to the Kennedy push/years.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I still remember people wanting Kennedy to beat the Undertaker's streak. No, really, that was a thing for a while.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People were CRAZY high on Kennedy and I just didn't get it at all. Not only do I think it was one of the first big times of me really and truly stepping away from WWE (not Kennedy alone, just like an overall disconnect with what WWE fans were responding to) but in hindsight I think it might have been the first case of the current "he was always bad" phase.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

STAC Goat posted:

People were CRAZY high on Kennedy and I just didn't get it at all. Not only do I think it was one of the first big times of me really and truly stepping away from WWE (not Kennedy alone, just like an overall disconnect with what WWE fans were responding to) but in hindsight I think it might have been the first case of the current "he was always bad" phase.

He had a good schtick and, then as now, most of the WWE roster was insanely boring and stale. But yeah, he was a lovely wrestler who injured people and was an rear end in a top hat about it.

titty fat pizza
Jan 1, 2013
Why did 80s tag teams throw on “Express” in their names? Midnight Express, Rock and Roll Express, Orient Express etc

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it was stolen from the movie midnight express (even though it was claimed otherwise) and then other teams/bookers stole 'express' because it sounded good or made them seem important right away

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CombineThresher posted:

He had a good schtick and, then as now, most of the WWE roster was insanely boring and stale. But yeah, he was a lovely wrestler who injured people and was an rear end in a top hat about it.

Yeah, I get it now. Its happened so many times that I get that people who are watching 4-8 hours of WWE TV every single week for years and years and years just react positively to anything different and go over the moon for anything different and good. Kennedy had something different so people responded.

Like I said, I think it was part of me realizing that it wasn't just WWE I wasn't enjoying but that like the expectations of its viewers had started to significantly divide from mine own.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I didn't even find Kennedy's shtick all that great at the time, to be honest. His entrance gimmick was fun for a little while because he had a great ring announcer voice, but that poo poo got old fast and I don't remember any of his actual promo work being particularly good, or his wrestling for that matter. He certainly wasn't as bad in the ring or on the mic as some of the other guys WWE was pushing at the time, but I never saw him as more than an upper midcarder at best.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I honestly think about half of the shine came off the rose when he got banned from doing the rolling fireman's carry from the middle rope he used as a finish.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1yh6CuMRsY

So I had seen recent pics of Raven and I just figured his hair was gone because he's old and years of hardcore and drugs took their toll. This video though says it was because he lost it in a hair match? That's irrelevant though, the real stickler is the guy who did the hair removal literally carved up the top of his head so bad his hair won't grow back right.

Where and when did this happen? This sounds horrifying and at least grounds for a lawsuit or even worse.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NikkolasKing posted:

So I had seen recent pics of Raven and I just figured his hair was gone because he's old and years of hardcore and drugs took their toll. This video though says it was because he lost it in a hair match? That's irrelevant though, the real stickler is the guy who did the hair removal literally carved up the top of his head so bad his hair won't grow back right.

Where and when did this happen? This sounds horrifying and at least grounds for a lawsuit or even worse.

He's talking about his hair match in TNA, which was pretty gruesome but yeah there's no way that made him go bald permanently.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought I remembered it going around in his TNA/ROH years that he was losing his hair and rapidly putting on weight because of kidney issues (drug caused or otherwise) but that could’ve just been early 2000s Rajah style bullshit. Raven doesn’t seem like the type to lie about that kind of stuff but I could see him doing it as a rib if it’s for some hair transplant guy’s website or whatever. I’m assuming the match would have been the one against Shane Douglas?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hes a wrestler he'd probably lie about anything including sleeping with fourteen year old becky bayless

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Mitchell (and I think Raven) is pretty sure it was a rib on him by some enemy Raven had in TNA. When he went to the ring there were two sets of shavers, a normal one and a really nasty looking one. When the match was over only the really nasty one remained and Mitchell had to kind of go with it. Raven agreed to do the match because his hair was in lovely shape already.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was Raven vs Shane Douglas in TNA. Mitchell did the shaving. Yeah, it was gruesome and you could clearly see that Mitchell was indeed scalping Raven. I just looked at a match of his after that when he was growing it back in and it does look a little thin up front. I dunno.

He was putting on a lot of weight at some point because of a thyroid condition or something. That's when his career kind of went off a cliff. Well he was already on the wrong end of things but it feels like it happened real fast.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 31, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just don't understand why somebody didn't stop it. Like, gently caress your fake wrestling match when it becomes apparent you are being maimed for no real reason. This is the 21st Century, everybody knows it's fake and won't hold it against you when they see you are literally being scalped.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You'd think Mitchell could apply a fake haircut without destroying a guy's head, even if the clippers were screwy. Just...don't cut directly on his head

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Wrestlers are not known for being smart or sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

STAC Goat posted:

He was putting on a lot of weight at some point because of a thyroid condition or something. That's when his career kind of went off a cliff. Well he was already on the wrong end of things but it feels like it happened real fast.

His thyroid and adrenals were shot because it turns out decades of near-constant drug use are bad for your body. It also messed with his sleep cycles a lot, and all that is compounded by Raven being a total couch potato (by his own admission) who hates doing cardio.