Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Psycho, I think.

I've been keeping this list up to date every couple of days:

https://www.letterboxd.com/smitster/list/horror-thread-january-horror-essentials-2019/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Today's horror essential is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyE0dNqgDHQ

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

An unlicensed adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula, and one of the most important horror films of all time. This 1922 silent film might be the best vampire movie ever made. Despite the theatrical mime acting and the obviously limited special effects, this film features dozens of iconic horror shots that have been endlessly homaged and ripped off. If you've been putting off this masterpiece because of its age or because it's a silent film, you owe it to yourself to give it a watch.

Available to stream on Shudder, Fandor, iTunes, and Google Play

If you've already seen the original Nosferatu, if you just can't handle silent films, or if you have time for a really long double feature, today's backup horror essential is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Rachk7ipI

Nosferatu the Vampyre

Werner Herzog's 1972 remake of Nosferatu is a feast for the eyes. Beautifully shot, beautifully lit, this film's sheer atmosphere gets under your skin before anything creepy even happens. While it's a loving tribute to the original 1922 film, Herzog infuses the movie with symbolism, shocking new scenes, and his trademark existentialism.

Available to stream on Shudder, Fandor, iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Prime and Youtube

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Original Nosferatu is public domain and available for free on internet Archives as well. You should watch it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I really like Herzog's Nosferatu, it's very weird and it has one of the funniest endings ever in a horror film.

Herzog also unleashed an actual plague of rats on the town they were filming and then left the town people to deal with it, that's kinda funny too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As the oldest film on the list so far, I find it appropriate to compare Nosferatu to the original Frankenstein, a film that came only 9 years later.

Nosferatu is a silent film, but the orchestra is anything but silent. Watching the film is almost more like attending a concert with pictures attached with how much work they're doing. This isn't too inaccurate, as back in the day it would have received a live accompaniment. Much of the original music is actually missing, so there's a lot of choices you have for sound made over the decades.

It's notable that Nosferatu is a good 20 minutes longer than Frankenstein and actually suffers much less from the "filmed stage play" feeling that the later film does. Movement between locations is much more dynamic, with shots cutting quickly back and forth between distinct environments and even incorporating location shooting instead of exclusive use of a soundstage. In a way, it highlights James Whale's inexperience and difficulty breaking out of the theatrical mindset despite coming into film after Murnau.

While the film is hardly scary today, it's easy to imagine a 1920s audience being horrified by it. Count Orlok is a terrifying monster by the standards of the time; there's good reason his silhouette on the wall is such a distinctive pop culture memory. Nosferatu is important not just in its influence on later film, but in showcasing the true capabilities of filmmakers in the 1920s.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Does it really makes sense to compare Nosferatu to Frankenstein? Like can't you chalk a lot of those "stage play" problems Whale had up to the industry's move into "talkies?" I'm no film historian but my understanding is they didn't know how to deal with that, they hired stage directors like Whale to figure it out, and there were growing pains.

But couldn't it be argued that by contrast Nosferatu and Murnau are basically towards the end of an era that knew what it was doing and the film, while different from what we know today should be judged on that as a masterpiece?

I should rewatch, but i was planning a rewatch for October. I should do both if I finish my 13 new essentials tonight. I've seen it a few times and love it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Some years around Halloween the university in my town does a showing of Nosferatu in the music school auditorium with accompaniment from their gigantic organ and I’m really bummed I’ve never been able to make it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Someone in the horror thread this halloween described some kind of awesome church showing of it in NYC that I was so jealous I missed out on. At least I think it was Nosferatu.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

Does it really makes sense to compare Nosferatu to Frankenstein? Like can't you chalk a lot of those "stage play" problems Whale had up to the industry's move into "talkies?" I'm no film historian but my understanding is they didn't know how to deal with that, they hired stage directors like Whale to figure it out, and there were growing pains.

But couldn't it be argued that by contrast Nosferatu and Murnau are basically towards the end of an era that knew what it was doing and the film, while different from what we know today should be judged on that as a masterpiece?

I should rewatch, but i was planning a rewatch for October. I should do both if I finish my 13 new essentials tonight. I've seen it a few times and love it.

In the case of Whale, he was initially hired purely as a dialogue coach and worked on films that way before being given the director's chair. It just feels like in terms of staging, Frankenstein was almost a step backwards. Bride of Frankenstein is much closer to what Nosferatu accomplished with the medium 15 years earlier. There's a lot of silent films before it that really were just filmed stage plays, so it's like the industry sort of forgot what to do as soon as people could talk.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Here is today's horror essential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzbGtjtfZwA

Diabolique

A French crime thriller with a supernatural twist, Diabolique lives and dies on its style. Henri Georges Clouzot's visuals are unique and haunting, as the simple events of this thriller escalate in bizarre, terrifying directions. Is it madness, guilt, or something more sinister?

Not curently available for streaming.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Everyone, Everyone, Everyone

and I mean Everyone

Watch Diabolique.

It's so good. One of my favorites from the last October challenge!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lurdiak posted:

Not curently available for streaming.

This seems incorrect? I see Prime and Kanopy? Do I have the right movie?

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/diabolique-1955

edit: The Kanopy link gets me that "not available" message I get from other Criterion Collection films. But the Prime video seems to work.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

edit: The Kanopy link gets me that "not available" message I get from other Criterion Collection films. But the Prime video seems to work.

Lurdiak is in Canada, so it may not be on his region’s services.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Well that's good news!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Lurdiak is in Canada, so it may not be on his region’s services.

Ahh. I apologize for my narrow nationalistic focus.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm sooo far behind, but at least I managed to catch another good one! Werner Herzog's Nosferatu!
The man is a treasure, and I'll never get sick of his love for animals. There's an entire scene where half of the shot is taken up by a horse, it's head just out of frame, for no reason at all. Klaus Kinski, may he fry in hell, is an amazing Vampire, perhaps one of the most memorable ever, and it looks like he was an inspiration for the recent IT remake. The movie also puts a new spin on the old story, making Lucy the hero. And boy, does the movie look great at times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Suspiria(2018)

A remake of an essential, by a very talented director, and so my hopes were high that maybe this would be a new essential. So that's the arena this movie was stepping into, the standards were going to be very high and I'm sure all involved knew that going in.

The look of the film is probably the first thing fans of the original will notice, there is zero attempt whatsoever to reproduce the over the top lighting style of Argento, and yea that's probably a good thing. Still, I do wish Guadagnino wouldn't have gone so far in the other direction, I'd have enjoyed some more stylization. Even though the cinematography was excellent, as was the production design, it still left me wanting more because I love the more dramatic style of the original. It was a bit meandering, just like the original, but certainly ends with a bang. It's hard to argue that the insane climax of this film isn't more effective than the originals which to some comes off as random and arbitrary(at least on first viewing).

The performances were just ok, unfortunately, and that's something that could've potentially lifted the whole thing into competition with the original. Dakota Johnson is great, and so she makes up for a lot herself, but I was actually surprised by how blah Tilda Swinton was. I was very excited when she was cast but she really took the conservative route here when I think I'd have preferred that she chew some more scenery. And I'm not sure I quite understand what the point of her playing the old man was. Maybe I missed an obvious theme there.

All in all it's certainly not a bad film, it's a good one. But it's in the shadow of a giant and so will probably be largely forgotten alongside other passable remakes like Friday the 13th, Carrie, and The Thing.

So if I don't get any more in today, that's 10 new "essential"(or essential-adjacent) horror movies! Not too bad for January.

Watched: Night of the Demons, Angst, Alice Sweet Alice, Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter, White Zombie, The Haunting, Pet Sematary Two, Maniac(1980), Night of the Comet, Suspiria(2018)

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 31, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Today's Horror Essential is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV-SmpeTBkE

Maniac Cop 2

Ok so I spent the entire month tailoring this list to what people hadn't seen and what the most critically-acclaimed horror films were, but this is the day you get my tastes crammed down your throat. Maniac Cop 2 is Terminator meets Jason Takes Manhattan, and it's completely awesome. While more action than horror, unlike its predecessor, this wild ride features plenty of gruesome moments, not to mention hilarity, genuine pathos, and amazing stunts. You really don't need to see the first one to enjoy this amazing sequel (and in fact this film cold opens on the ending of the original to catch you up), so buckle up and enjoy Robert Z'Dar's greatest role.

Available for streaming on Amazon Prime

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tonight I will watch Maniac Cop 2!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm very torn. On one hand even though I'm 99% sure I won't like Maniac Cop 2 and I have two films in mind tonight to get me to 13 the completionist nerd in me says I HAVE to watch all 31 "essentials" in the thread and I can't voluntarily fall 1 short.

On the other hand the same completionist nerd in me says I can't watch Maniac Cop 2 without watching Maniac Cop and not only do I not have the time to watch 3 films tonight but its not available to stream anywhere. And i know, I know. You'll say "yes you can, it doesn't make a difference, just watch 2." But the nerd in me is driving this entire thing. I just can't turn him off.

Decisions, decisions.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a decent version of Maniac Cop on youtube, if that ends up being a deciding factor for you. What were the other movies you had in mind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qAolRKcYJ8&t=1825s

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Les Diaboliques for sure, and then I'm thinking of FINALLY watching my own personal "essential" that always manages to get pushed to the back of the line for some reason, Coraline.

I also had Vertigo on tap before Diabolique entered the conversation.

I just feel like Maniac Cop 2 (and 1 if I can't shake that nerd part of me) is will make for more of a chore of a night for me than movies I really want to watch and think are more my taste. But then again, I've been viewing these challenges all about "forcing me out of my comfort zone" and that should watch Maniac Cop 2 and just watch the films I want to some other time.

I'm a weird nerd who will devote a lot of thought to this tonight.

edit: And I just found out Bruce Campbell is in the Maniac Cop movies, making this decision even harder.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 1, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He's in a lot more of Maniac Cop than he is Maniac Cop 2, if that helps.

E: Probably not so helpful 6 hours late.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 1, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maniac Cop 2

Yea, this was a great sequel. Better than the original, or at least it's more my thing than the original, even if Bruce Campbell isn't a main protagonist anymore. Like Lurdiak said it's a ridiculous mash-up of a bunch of different things, and it's very action oriented. I had no idea Lustig directed the Maniac Cop movies actually, so I ended up watching two Lustig films this month. And written by Larry Cohen.

I kept waiting for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to show up to fight the Maniac Cop.

Also I wanted to say thank you to Lurdiak for running the thread. Even if the participation wasn't up to the usual horror marathon threads(which is understandable for January) but I enjoyed the new format where there was a selection each day and I could play off that and choose substitutes if I'd seen it before. I had a lot of fun with it and I could see something similar working for other genres, if maybe a little less intense, maybe like one film every three days or something like that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 1, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was sitting around last night trying to decide if I was going to watch the two films I had planned last night or try and get 3 in and I ended up being pulled into something with a friend. And then we got to talking about my terrible, awful basketball team and how there is no hope and life has no meaning and actions never pay off and we should just give up. It was super late and I wasn’t in the mood but I powered through and figured hey, I’m probably in the perfect state of mind for some dark French film, right?

Les Diaboliques (1955)

I’m really glad I lost sleep for this. I really enjoyed this. I had really intended to watch Vertigo and this film basically stole its spot but it was very fitting as there was a very Hitchcockian feel to this. Great tension building as the film moves on and things just get more desperate and desperate as they go. Vera Clouzot’s performance as a woman just being torn apart by the guilt of her action was great and so much of the film is really carried by her and Simone Signoret. The contrast between the two women’s demeanor and confidence is great and engaging the whole way. I had an idea of where the film might end and I’m really glad that I was both partially right but also completely surprised and left wondering. Great great film.

My favorite part of the film was definitely the last scene that calls you an rear end in a top hat if you spoil the ending. So I’m not even using black bars.

I don’t have much to say but that’s not really the film’s fault. I only got a few hours of sleep, I’ve got a nasty head cold, and its still freezing. So I just don’t have the strength or clarity of mind. But this was definitely one of my favorite films of the month along with Bride of Frankenstein, Cat People and The Haunting. Dr. Phibes still wins the month but all four of those older films are ones I’m sure I’ll rewatch to appreciate more and a great testament to why I’ve been wrong to never really delve into the older stuff before recently and kill any fears I ever may have had that stuff that old can’t hold up.

I definitely loved the format of this thread and it exposed me to a bunch of films I’ve long meant to watch or probably never would have watched. Not every one was a home run for me but none of them were bad. Each film was a justifiable essential with something to take from. So great job from Lurdiak.

I too loved the picked movie tasks as a different thing, the same way I enjoyed Fran’s challenges in October. I’m a nerd who likes homework. I expected it to be a LOT harder to keep up with and that I’d have a ton of holes so I’m pretty surprised and pleased that I only had 13 holes of the 31 movies. Sadly I did fall short of seeing all 13 but I promise I’ll give the Maniac Cop movies a watch over the next week. I did see 14 movies overall so I’m gonna count my challenge met. After all, I only really set it half way through the month.

As always, tons of fun and I won’t know what to do with myself after I watch a horror film until May when I can comfortably write longwinded reviews for them.

Watched - New (Total)
1. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1989); 2. The ‘Burbs (1989); - (3). Frankenstein (1931); 3 (4). The Bride of Frankenstein (1933); 4 (5). Cat People (1942); 5 (6). The Haunting (1963); 6 (7). Peeping Tom (1960); 7 (8). The Howling (1981); - (9). Creepshow (1982); 8 (10). Deep Red (1975); 9 (11). Lifeforce (1985); 10 (12). The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971); 11 (13). Onibaba (1964); 12 (14). Les Diaboliques (1955)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, it's not January anymore. Even though the 31 one and change films I featured in this thread are only a small sample of the great horror films out there, I hope I was able to close some gaps in people's viewing history and introduce some of you to some films you enjoyed. Now is the time to tally up the new films you've seen and post the total. Those with the most watched films will win a fabulous prize! I originally said people with 31 viewed films would be the ones to win but that's a bit much to expect in a challenge with such narrow criteria.

Of course, the prize is just a silly extra. The point of this thread was to get people to watch Maniac Cop some of the greatest horror films out there. Even if you only watched one new film this month, I consider my job well done. Special thanks to Windows98 for coming up with the idea of this thread and being too lazy to actually make it!

Basebf555 posted:

Also I wanted to say thank you to Lurdiak for running the thread. Even if the participation wasn't up to the usual horror marathon threads(which is understandable for January) but I enjoyed the new format where there was a selection each day and I could play off that and choose substitutes if I'd seen it before. I had a lot of fun with it and I could see something similar working for other genres, if maybe a little less intense, maybe like one film every three days or something like that.

You're welcome, I'm glad you appreciated it, and I totally understand that participation wasn't as intense as usual. As I said, this was more about showcasing classics than the usual marathon format, and you're right that the formula could use some refining. Since it's not meant to be a marathon, I probably shouldn't have encouraged people to watch 31 new films. I like the idea of doing this sort of thread for other genres, and eventually there could be a horror sequel as well, since there are still quite a few classics that didn't get showcased, and I'm sure some goons haven't seen them.

quote:

I definitely loved the format of this thread and it exposed me to a bunch of films I’ve long meant to watch or probably never would have watched. Not every one was a home run for me but none of them were bad. Each film was a justifiable essential with something to take from. So great job from Lurdiak.

I too loved the picked movie tasks as a different thing, the same way I enjoyed Fran’s challenges in October. I’m a nerd who likes homework. I expected it to be a LOT harder to keep up with and that I’d have a ton of holes so I’m pretty surprised and pleased that I only had 13 holes of the 31 movies. Sadly I did fall short of seeing all 13 but I promise I’ll give the Maniac Cop movies a watch over the next week. I did see 14 movies overall so I’m gonna count my challenge met. After all, I only really set it half way through the month.

As always, tons of fun and I won’t know what to do with myself after I watch a horror film until May when I can comfortably write longwinded reviews for them.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad the thread did its job for you and that my curation was up to the premise of the thread.

Here is the letterboxd of every film featured so far in the thread. (It's missing the last few days' worth but I'm sure smitster will update it soon). If you were very busy this January and saw me post some films you hadn't seen that looked interesting, please use it as a guideline. Even though the challenge is over, it's always a good time to watch classics for the first time! As a bonus, if you watch any of the movies on the list (or something new to you) before midnight tomorrow, you may count them towards your total for the purpose of winning fabulous prizes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still need to post my review of Les Diaboliques when I get home, but in total I have 29 films if you include both Frankensteins separately.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So my final tally was 11 films, more than my average month(aside from May and October of course), and there really wasn't a stinker in the whole bunch so I feel like I did pretty well.

Night of the Demons
Angst
Alice Sweet Alice
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
White Zombie
The Haunting
Pet Sematary Two
Maniac(1980)
Night of the Comet
Suspiria(2018)
Maniac Cop 2

It's hard to choose just one as my favorite discovery, but the contenders would be Captain Kronos, The Haunting, and Night of the Comet. Throw Maniac Cop 2 in there as well, because that's a movie I may have never watched without a kick in the rear end and it turned out to be extremely entertaining from start to finish. My biggest disappointment was probably the Suspiria remake but that was of course a film that had heavy expectations attached to it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I get a kick that we both followed the same list with some substitutions, both watched roughly the same number of movies, and yet we only watched one film in common. I don't know why, its just a cool twist for me.

I'm also on a lot of cough medicine. I'm really tempted to turn Maniac Cop on in this state.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

When I first read the background of this movie, I found it eerily familiar. It turns out the Hong Kong film Hex is actually an unstated remake, which I watched on a Hollis stream a few months ago!

Les Diaboliques is the story of revenge. The psychologically and physically abusive headmaster of a cheap boarding school in France openly cheats on his wife with his mistress. As the opening of the film progresses, it slowly becomes apparent that the two of them have connected over his abusiveness and are planning to take care of him once and for all....only they don't count on him coming back.

While it initially seems like it'll be nothing but a psychological thriller, Les Diaboliques rapidly begins moving into horror after the murder. I already had the twist spoiled for me thanks to Hex, but it still works today and in 1955 it would have been incredibly shocking. In some ways, it almost feels like a predecessor to Psycho for the boundaries it pushes and the twist that it implores the audience not to reveal. The acting is almost universally good, especially Paul Meurisse. Despite having very little screen time due to, you know, dying, he gives a chillingly accurate portrayal of a violent abuser who makes everything about himself. I will say that -- especially if you're watching on Amazon Prime -- an education in French will be beneficial. There are some words or phrases that the captions exclude for brevity and will only be noticed by someone familiar with the language.

Without a doubt, Les Diaboliques is necessary viewing. Not just for horror fans, but for film buffs in general regardless of genre.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 2, 2019

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
January was a helluva month for me and I had to bow out early. First I had major arm surgery, and then the resulting pain and depression really messed with my head for a little while, but I got on meds that are helping that to enormous level. Then, I wound up getting a new kitten! So it's been a real up and down rollercoaster January for me, but it's been fun watching you all participate.

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.
Seconding thanks to OP for the thread. Just been lurking and had a helluva month as well but the movies listed were absolutely must-see and I'm hoping to watch the ones I haven't seen soon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The deadline is over, now it's time to hand out the prizes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDN1bL6Inks

First place goes to chitoryu12 with 29 films watched! Wow! That's a lot of classic horror. Let's see what they've won...

They win a fabulous, luxurious, 3 month subscription to Shudder!, paid for by me!

Second place goes to Stac Goat, with a respectable 14 films viewed! And what does our silver medalist bring home?

A stylish Jason Vorhees mask and machete keychain, valued at over 6 dollars!

And last but not least, third place goes to Basebf555, with 11 new films viewed. That's still more horror than some people watch in a year, folks. And their prize is....

One of a kind horror art! A custom doodle of the horror movie character of their choice, by talented artist Landsharkrawr.

Congratulations everyone! To all our winners, PM me or send me an email to work out the details of receiving your prizes! We'll see you next time on the horror essentials giveaway, folks! And stay tuned for our sister program, Wheel of Money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4wfQKlYBho

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I only managed a pathetic 6/19 unwatched essentials somehow, but I'll keep this bookmarked to work my way through it!
Thanks Lurdiak for this thread!