Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Guys, it's a controller. It can do more than be destroyed, it can also...
control.

Specifically, it can control the monokumas and kids this whole dilemma is centered around.

Did opening the wrong room give a nonstandard game over like destroying the controller does? Or anything interesting at all for that manner.

obligatory Haiji is a fuckwit remark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man I can't believe how likable they made Toko of all people. Like she was compassionate and really effective here, and she genuinely bailed Komaru out of a bad situation.

Also holy poo poo Haiji you are the actual loving worst.

Psycho Knight posted:

There's video of the atrocities committed against these people. The adult's bodies are lining the street. Two of Future Foundation's members are in the city and have first-hand experience with everything that has happened. How exactly is a war going to break out? Do you think the remaining adults are just going to immediately attack when people come to rescue them? Is Future Foundation just going to see what happened and go "Oh, well I guess we better start a full-force assault without investigating anything"?

I mean...yeah? Dead kids tend to create a lot of visceral reactions which tend to compound one another. Even if FF was trying to keep a cool head about it, their supporters would pressure them into action.

Psycho Knight posted:

Kotoko appears to be heading straight for a redemption resolution, which is flat-out unacceptable garbage.

This I definitely agree with though.

FoolyCharged posted:

Guys, it's a controller. It can do more than be destroyed, it can also...
control.

Specifically, it can control the monokumas and kids this whole dilemma is centered around.

Also this.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Nice touch that all the other Warriors of Hope diaries say "beware of X" while Monaca's just says "everyone loves Monaca".

Also, I'm amused that somehow they all got their own personalized style notebooks...with a slot to add your name in at the bottom.

It looks like that last break/break colouration is the same setup as the Monokuma face, also nice.

I'm honestly surprised that Big Bang Monokuma didn't have a backdoor set up by Monaca.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

We'll do both opening the wrong door and breaking the controller early when I go through the chapter again.

The issue between Future Foundation and Towa Group centers around the fact that Towa Group literally engineered the Incident that hosed the entire world over, and not only that, but also spread anti-Future-Foundation propaganda in its city. Haiji is now the de facto head of Towa Group, so therefore the leader of the resistance is pretty much as guilty as Monaca, openly admitting he didn't interfere in her plans simply because she made them money despite suspecting she was up to no good. So he at the very least is going to get Nürnberg'd to gently caress as a collaborator, if only as a stand in for the old man CEO.

There's video of the atrocities the children committed, sure, but all of that was recorded and broadcast from Monaca's side purely to demoralize the adults. She's smart enough to know to wipe her prints afterwards.

Assuming Monaca's plan worked, meaning Komaru destroyed the controller and went full despair, Future Foundation would find the following situation:

- We have an entire city belonging pretty much entirely to a single corporation.
- This single corporation was secretly supporting Junko Enoshima in creating the Incident and was in fact instrumental in making it happen thanks to building an army of robots.
- The streets are lined with bodies, of children and adults alike. The adults are torn to bits or slashed up, and the kids are all just straight up headless.
- The only people remaining are a group of adults swearing up and down that they had nothing to do with the killing, and actually it was the children's fault, they were controlling the Monokuma robots and killing everybody. Also don't pay attention to the head of the Towa Group that's with our group, it was actually the eight-year-old child genius that orchestrated everything behind his back. He's totally innocent in all this.
- Also, the last time Future Foundation showed up in Towa City, they got slaughtered by the dozens, with only two of them mysteriously remaining unharmed. Byakuya basically knows gently caress all, being stuck in a room for the entire time, and what the hell is Toko going to say? That she helped in turning Makoto's sister into the new Ultimate Despair? Everything she says would just beg more questions, which are inevitably going to implicate her as a collaborator.

Future Foundation would nuke Towa City from orbit just alone for the fact that it's the place where the Monokuma robots are being built and that a supposed new Ultimate Despair is hiding out there. It's the only way to be sure. Then, like Monaca said, the real Remnants of Despair would show up and combine their forces, and everything would go to hell in a hand basket real fast.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 27, 2019

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Well, I hated DR2 and I hated this one too, but the LP has been thorough and well-written, so well done.

Don't get the Monaca love but I did like Toko in this considering how bad she was in DR1.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

TheMcD posted:

We'll do both opening the wrong door and breaking the controller early when I go through the chapter again.

The issue between Future Foundation and Towa Group centers around the fact that Towa Group literally engineered the Incident that hosed the entire world over, and not only that, but also spread anti-Future-Foundation propaganda in its city. Haiji is now the de facto head of Towa Group, so therefore the leader of the resistance is pretty much as guilty as Monaca, openly admitting he didn't interfere in her plans simply because she made them money despite suspecting she was up to no good. So he at the very least is going to get Nürnberg'd to gently caress as a collaborator, if only as a stand in for the old man CEO.

There's video of the atrocities the children committed, sure, but all of that was recorded and broadcast from Monaca's side purely to demoralize the adults. She's smart enough to know to wipe her prints afterwards.

But not smart enough to get rid of her "memoirs" where she flat out admits to trying to create a successor to Junko and basically masterminding this whole thing, as well as decorating her entire room with a creepy collage of every existing picture of Junko including one where the two of them are together and being buddy-buddy. Not to mention the entries on particular people connected directly to killing game participants which discusses the best ways to lure out adults and slaughter them that all but proves the kids were behind it. I'm sure she got rid of every piece of video evidence including any video the adults may have taken from things like cell-phones. Even without that, there's more than enough to result in her being one of the prime suspects of the incident when combined with witness testimony of people that watched all the broadcasts.

TheMcD posted:

Assuming Monaca's plan worked, meaning Komaru destroyed the controller and went full despair, Future Foundation would find the following situation:

- The streets are lined with bodies, of children and adults alike. The adults are torn to bits or slashed up, and the kids are all just straight up headless.

The children are all headless, dying in the exact same way. Meanwhile the adults are piled in heaps, strewn about in diners and cars as though they were killed by complete surprise, strung up in macabre art exhibits, impaled, laying in torture chambers, whatever other horrors may have been inflicted on them.

TheMcD posted:

- The only people remaining are a group of adults swearing up and down that they had nothing to do with the killing, and actually it was the children's fault, they were controlling the Monokuma robots and killing everybody. Also don't pay attention to the head of the Towa Group that's with our group, it was actually the eight-year-old child genius that orchestrated everything behind his back. He's totally innocent in all this.

Haiji is something they would have been kept in the dark about, so that can't really be used against them as evidence they were all in on it. Unless Future Foundation believes every single surviving person in this incident is conspiring to cover for Towa Group despite what they would supposedly know.

As for the adults claiming the kids were behind it, they do kind of have evidence that would support their claims. The fact that only adults are ones with Monokuma sized claw marks all over their bodies is a pretty good sign. Also, I just mentioned the evidence that Komaru actually has which points to Monaca. Not exactly far fetched.

TheMcD posted:

- Also, the last time Future Foundation showed up in Towa City, they got slaughtered by the dozens, with only two of them mysteriously remaining unharmed. Byakuya basically knows gently caress all, being stuck in a room for the entire time, and what the hell is Toko going to say? That she helped in turning Makoto's sister into the new Ultimate Despair? Everything she says would just beg more questions, which are inevitably going to implicate her as a collaborator.

Well, Byakuya witnessed the Monokuma attacking the city first-hand. The kids also locked him up, unless the Monokuma did it.

Toko is another witness to the kids (at the very least The Warriors of Hope) enacting this whole attack. Not to mention Monaca. She didn't exactly set out to turn Komaru into the Ultimate Despair. She was attempting to rescue Byakuya. Not exactly sure how she would be fingered as a collaborator considering the evidence that points to Monaca being behind it all.

I get it. Despair is some magical force in this universe that makes people bad and evil and have to be eliminated in order to stop everything from going to hell. But this is a stretch even knowing that. The people who have survived have been through hell. I do not see them mounting any type of random attack against would-be rescuers just for funzies. Meanwhile, Future Foundation rolling in, automatically pinning the blame on survivors, and slaughtering them all doesn't exactly paint them as a force for good. Why are they immune to being pulled into the Despair black hole?

The only one I see being hosed over from all of this by FF is Haiji, once his family's connection to this is uncovered. I can't see how ordinary citizens get pulled into this.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 28, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FoolyCharged posted:

Did opening the wrong room give a nonstandard game over like destroying the controller does? Or anything interesting at all for that manner

Yes.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
On a side note, didn't all that information about Towa Group being part of the Incident just get televised live? Basically at Haiji's demand?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In case the implication was missed nobody in Future Foundation outside the survivors from the first game like or trust Toko, which is why she doesn’t have the uniform and isn’t really a full member. Her word means less than nothing and Byakuya has been locked up the entire time so he has very little proof of anything.

Also, Future Foundation are fanatically anti-Despair, the second game makes this abundantly clear in that they have no intention of even trying to spare or cure the actual Remnants of Despair and Makoto has to actively disobey and betray the Future Foundation as a whole because their hope for the future is kill anyone who is going to threaten their shining future.

Basically Future Foundation are so against the possibility of despair that they would not care to listen, the second they see dead kids and celebrating adults they’ll attack. The production of Monukuma is in of itself bad enough given the Future Foundation do use scorched earth policies when fighting Despair.

Also if you're starting to think Despair and Hope look like stupid buzzwords with no meaning that's intentional, Dangan Ronpa sort of pivots into the meaningless of these big ideas that have no actual bearing on people's lives or happiness if they're ignored.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 28, 2019

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Kotoko's voice actress is killing it.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

curiousCat posted:

Kotoko's voice actress is killing it.

Yeah dude she had some chilling rear end deliveries in that last cutscene. I feel like the plot is absolutely falling apart but the VAs are doing magnificently.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also if you're starting to think Despair and Hope look like stupid buzzwords with no meaning that's intentional, Dangan Ronpa sort of pivots into the meaningless of these big ideas that have no actual bearing on people's lives or happiness if they're ignored.

If this is true I would definitely like to believe it and would take back some things I've said about the franchise, but--and maybe I'm missing something obvious on my part--I'd really enjoy an explanation or showing of evidence from the games to support this or a link to a source that does so (if possible of course!) before fully buying into it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blue Labrador posted:

Yeah dude she had some chilling rear end deliveries in that last cutscene. I feel like the plot is absolutely falling apart but the VAs are doing magnificently.

If this is true I would definitely like to believe it and would take back some things I've said about the franchise, but--and maybe I'm missing something obvious on my part--I'd really enjoy an explanation or showing of evidence from the games to support this or a link to a source that does so (if possible of course!) before fully buying into it

It’s the crux of the Dangan Ronpa 2 finale, where Hajime Hinata declares that they will fight for neither Hope nor Despair but to claim their own future, built by their own hands and those of their friends. Which considering the damage the Remnants of Despair caused in the name of Junko’s despair and the fact that they were going to be killed in the name of the Future Foundations shining hopeful future makes them deciding on neither pretty reasonable.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

SSNeoman posted:

Man I can't believe how likable they made Toko of all people. Like she was compassionate and really effective here, and she genuinely bailed Komaru out of a bad situation.

I will give the game this exact much: having played through the first DR, and having known Toko from the beginning and how she started out, this scene was... genuinely moving and affecting. And not just for this game, this is a great moment in terms of the rest of the series, too- not the best or most affecting, but up there. It's a shame it has to share a game with all the rest of the shallow gross nonsense that has already been talked about, but there it is. Good job, game, for this if nothing else.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

I will give the game this exact much: having played through the first DR, and having known Toko from the beginning and how she started out, this scene was... genuinely moving and affecting. And not just for this game, this is a great moment in terms of the rest of the series, too- not the best or most affecting, but up there. It's a shame it has to share a game with all the rest of the shallow gross nonsense that has already been talked about, but there it is. Good job, game, for this if nothing else.

It really feels like it's in the cusp of being a good game, huh?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also, Future Foundation are fanatically anti-Despair, the second game makes this abundantly clear in that they have no intention of even trying to spare or cure the actual Remnants of Despair and Makoto has to actively disobey and betray the Future Foundation as a whole because their hope for the future is kill anyone who is going to threaten their shining future.

Wanting to kill the remnants of despair didn't exactly require a lot of fanaticism. We don't get to see a lot of what they'd done directly but they'd personally killed a lot of people and worked with Junko to kill, uh, well, billions.

And Makoto says "I can cure them, they'll be just like they were in the distant past of... 2 years ago". It's not really surprising that the Future Foundation didn't agree with it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Qrr posted:

Wanting to kill the remnants of despair didn't exactly require a lot of fanaticism. We don't get to see a lot of what they'd done directly but they'd personally killed a lot of people and worked with Junko to kill, uh, well, billions.

And Makoto says "I can cure them, they'll be just like they were in the distant past of... 2 years ago". It's not really surprising that the Future Foundation didn't agree with it.

You're not wrong, but the Future Foundation don't even attempt to think of alternatives and put out the order to kill on sight, without even knowing who the remnants actually were. That's a big thing, the Future Foundation don't know that Class 76 are the Remnants of Despair, and in fact thought they were people worth saving until they discovered the truth. So any potential Remnant has a kill on sight order without necessarily requiring actual evidence at the time, then when they learnt of Class 76 it was too late because Makoto had taken them to Jabberwock for his plan.

Also it's more like 3 years I think, and conceptually it's they'll be like they were before they were despair which is actually a much bigger deal than just 2 years ago, on the average. The other bit is that they'll kill anyone, not just Remnants of Despair, who threaten the shining future filled with hope the Future Foundation believes in. They're not evil but they're not good.

This is also why the potential for the people of Towa City to look like Remnants of Despair is Monaca's plan, because she presumably knows Future Foundation have a no tolerance policy for potential Remnants of Despair.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, here's a short update to clean up the rest of Chapter 5 before we head to the epilogue. Point of order one: What happens when you open the wrong door?

Komaru gets blowed to smitheroons, that's what.

And then she gets squashed by a Ball Monokuma for good measure as Kurokuma declares "Victory! And that's the end of the third arc!", which is probably a reference to something.

EDIT: Thread to the rescue!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That would seem to be a reference to Stardust Crusaders, the third arc of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. In one fight, a minor villain seems to kill the main character, at which point he exclaims "I win! Part 3 is over!"

And if we open the other door, a gargantuan Beast Monokuma awaits us. Komaru getting murdered is only implied here.

Now, what happens if we break the controller?

Well, Komaru smashes it, and then...

Fireworks heralding me...as a savior.

I became hope. The hope of the adults who were treated so cruelly... Fireworks...blessing me. It's all...thanks to me... Everything... ...Is all my fault.

And instead of "game over", we get "game clear". However, remember what Monaca said about us replaying this scene over and over if we don't choose correctly? Well, she's not lying. We immediately get dropped right back at that choice after the "game clear" screen. So you don't lose any progress by making the wrong choice, which is nice of them.

Next, we blitz through Chapter 5 again to find the missing collectibles. Since I'm using the post-epilogue save, I can just collect the few things missing and don't have to grab everything. In fact, I couldn't grab everything because everything I already collected the first time around is no longer there. The first we missed is here, in Nagisa's room.

It says "Toko Fukawa's latest work" right there, genius.
Um, how many books have you written, Toko?
Never really counted before... Let me think. If we're talking about novels, I'd say more than 80.
80!?
It's not so surprising. I wrote every single day, after all. And it's not the quantity that matters, it's the quality. Only 3rd-rate companies value quantity.
A-As expected of an Ultimate!
But are you getting antsy lately, since you haven't been able to write?
Oh yeah. I'm aching to get all these raging emotions onto a manuscript. I'm worried if I don't get these babies out, my creative womb is going to explode.
...Y-Yeah that sounds bad...
What about you? What do you want to do when you get out of here?
Well, lots of stuff really... I want to go to school, and eat my mom's cooking, and there's a lot of manga to read...
And also, I wanna go on a picnic with you!
A picnic...? A virgin dude's date of choice?
It's just that, I haven't really seen a nice, peaceful blue sky lately.
So when I get out of this place, I want to go on a picnic with you. Under a clear, sunny, blue sky... I want to do all the cliché things, like eat sandwiches.
Hmph, even when you're fantasizing you're normal. Well... If I don't have any engagement ceremonies with Master planned that day, I'll think about it.
Ah, you said you'd go! It's a promise, then!
I-I said I'd think about it! It's too early to think about that kinda stuff until we escape.
Well, the way I see it... I'm definitely going to escape. You think the same way, don't you?
Th-That's true but... I guess I'm just surprised by how much you've changed in this short time.
Hehe, people change.
Cut the attitude... I should make a daily routine of lubing up your doorknob with salad dressing!
E-Ew! Please don't! I'd never want to go home!

Also, this isn't a collectible, but note this magazine in Nagisa's room. I guess his confusion about just what it is he felt about Monaca has led him into some other research on some different topics. Turns out he's not as mature as he thought he was.

This one pisses me the gently caress off. These sparkles can be seen between the room where the game threw a bunch of Bombers over a pit at us and the chairman's office, and I know drat well I spent long enough looking around in this area looking for those very sparkles. Somehow, I just god drat missed them.

This means we now have 100% completion for the Hidden Kids.

Also, here's a sidenote: When we check out our collected Hidden Kids in the menu, we get little scenes to show them off with. Here they are in order:

Extra effort.

Finally, we have one more collectible to get. After opening the way to Monaca's room in the throne room, another Bomber drops into the room. The use of this one is to use it to blow up the left wall.

This hides another collectible!

Yes, a stink bug. Now, there's something special about this collectible. You see, it's a Hit List entry. However, we can't backtrack to bring it to Hiroko. So what do we do? Well, we create a time paradox!

Like I said earlier, once you beat the game, you can just save the game with the collectible collected, then restart the chapter, and you have the collectible at the start of the chapter, meaning we can now give it to Hiroko.

...Huh?
...Huh?

Kameko...? Is this...a bug?
Wh-What do you mean, "bug"!? Kameko is my dear friend... No, not just a friend, but an insect friend... A friendsect! If you *ever* call her bug again, I won't forgive you!
The only one who knows what it's like to be called smelly is my Kameko! Every time my classmates coughed when I walked in, Kameko was the only one who didn't! The trust relationship between me and Kameko goes deeper than any human and insect out there!
Fufu...
It's okay, Toko...
...Huh?
You're not alone... You don't have to lie to yourself anymore...
You already know it, don't you?
Wh-What...?
Kameko is a regular insect.
What!? Like I said, she's no insect, she's a friendsect!
Fufu!
Insects don't understand how humans feel...
But Kameko!
Toko!
Y-You're right... Kameko is just...a normal insect. I... I can accept that.
You don't have to lie to yourself anymore.
The world is a kinder place than you think.
Y-Yeah... ...I hope to see you again, Kameko...

And that's it for the collectibles we missed. Next time, it's the epilogue, and we'll be officially done with the main game, though that of course doesn't mean the LP is over.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 30, 2019

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Oh my god her best friend was a bug.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think these are the first Despair Time game overs we've seen.

TheMcD posted:

Kurokuma declares "Victory! And that's the end of the third arc!", which is probably a reference to something.

That would seem to be a reference to Stardust Crusaders, the third arc of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. In one fight, a minor villain seems to kill the main character, at which point he exclaims "I win! Part 3 is over!"

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

curiousCat posted:

Oh my god her best friend was a bug.

It's something that I wouldn't have thought of originally, but makes all the sense in the world afterwards. Toko did always have a bit of an obsession over smells.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Huh. Neat!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

♪ BGM: Chapter Title

Now, it's time to wrap this up.

Let's see what the story is going to give us to end it.

We begin with somebody familiar walking.

And he's carrying somebody familiar, too.

Mmm.
Oh? You're awake?

You were lucky. You would surely have perished if I wasn't there to save you.
...why?
I changed my mind and decided to stay in this town a while longer. And while I'm here, I figured I should see this through to the very end.
...that's not what I meant.
Oh, you mean why I saved you? Because... I'm the same as you. I'm disappointed with endings that waver between despair and hope. I wish a real war had started. If it did, I know a brilliant hope would have been born. That is why I allowed myself to be captured, after all.
So you did it... on purpose?
But... you weren't finished yet, right? Nothing has really changed since you began. So... I need you to continue working hard. So that a splendid hope may be born. You have tasted the bitter despair of having your meticulous plan fall apart around you, so I know you can do it.
Really... which side are you on?
Does it even matter?
Anyway... why don't you be the Successor for now? If that is your intention, I will lend you a hand. If... my schedule allows it, of course. There is somewhere I need to be later.
What do you mean?

I shall raise you to be her copy. One even more realistic than the real one...

Someone like me, who both hates and loves her more than anyone else... I should be able to make you more like her than even she herself was!

...gross.

And as Nagito and Monaca head off to an unknown destination, somebody else is carting around a wheelbarrow.

Hahaha! Are they still at it with that "Successor" or whatever?

You're talking too loud! They'll hear you!

They can hear all they fuckin' want! A bunch of chumps teamin' up together makes 'em suck even more!
Well, when you think about it, the plan was flawed from the beginning. Trying to create a successor while the original still exists?
I know this was kinda my idea, but kids sure are stupid idiots!
Not just the kids, the adults are idiots too. Just by causing a little unrest, just pushing them a teeny bit... I had them spinning around in the palms of my hands.
Heh, despite how you look, you sure are wicked inside. Even if the outside's white, the inside's pitch black! You a riceball or somethin'?
I may be wicked, but you are too. After all, we are...
No, not "we"... maybe "I"... or maybe...

It's me!
Puhuhuhu...
Well, they're pretty much the same.
White despair, black hope...
In the end, neither one.
But I guess that works too.
I mean, I didn't really give a drat about this town from the beginning.
The fact that those guys take an interest in this place will yield a much more fruitful harvest.

Hey, don't you think so?
Personally, I think they did a pretty good job for a group of kids.
Hey hey, don't you think so?
Thanks to them, the preparations are nearly complete!
Laying the foundations for the final match! It's so despairingly perfect!
Hey hey hey, don't y-

Oh...
You're so forceful...
What, what?
Am I being too noisy for ya?

I see...
I didn't know you still felt such emotions...
Or perhaps... you're forcing yourself to feel something in a situation like this? Well, not that it matters.
Anyway, I leave the rest to you.

Though I'm sure the next time I see you, you'll be someone else entirely.

Puhuhuhu... I hope you can at least have a little fun.
I hope the future's going to be one you can't predict.

So this is basically a whole bunch of sequel setup. In that the sequel being set up already has been released. So here's what we learned:

- Nagito is planning to turn Monaca into the Successor, using his obsession over Junko as a teaching aid, essentially. He also "needs to be somewhere later". The implication is that he's planning on turning himself in to Future Foundation to be involved in the events of DR2.
- Both Shirokuma's and Kurokuma's AIs were actually Junko AIs all along! So yeah, those of you that called Shirokuma as the spy in the resistance, pat yourself on the back, because you nailed it. I'm not sure if this actually explains why Shirokuma was able to pilot Big Bang Monokuma or not. I still haven't quite figured that out exactly, since even Monaca seemed to be surprised anybody that isn't Haiji is piloting it.
- The end here marks the appearance of Izuru Kamakura, the Ultimate Hope, formerly known as Hajime Hinata. Izuru tearing out the Junko AI chips from the robots here connects this to DR2, where he was the one that inserted the AI into the simulation as a virus. Izuru is also going to turn himself in to Future Foundation down the line.

It's not exactly any major reveals or twists, but I think we had enough of that in the last part of Chapter 5.

♪ BGM: The Day Before The Future

Next, we cut to somewhere else.

I'm so relieved... I'm glad you're safe, Byakuya.

Are you outside Towa City? You must be if this connection is secure, right?
Yeah. I used the secret passageway under the shrine. The Captives are safe, thanks to the relative of that idiot we know so well. I'll introduce you to her later. She's much more talented and useful than he is.
What's your position? I'll send rescue right away.
Before you do... There's something you need to know.
...Huh?
Komaru Naegi and Toko Fukawa...are not with me.
Not with you? Why?
I'll let her explain.
Her...?
She asked that I send you this message. It might be garbled a bit, but it'll do.

You're surprised that I'm not leaving, right? Sorry for making you worry... There's...a lot I want to say...
But first, let me explain why I'm not there.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

We then cut to Byakuya, who was apparently just stuffed into some file storage. But then, we hear something from outside the room.

Wh-what are you saying? All this time, you were bawling about how you wanted to go home!

Oh, come on! I was not bawling! Don't make things up! Jeez!

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

Why are you bringing up something like that? Do you feel responsible for their revenge?
But that wasn't your fault! You can't feel bad about that, not even a little!
No, that's not it... It doesn't matter whose fault it is. This is my decision.
Then why are you doing this? Didn't you want to get out of this place and live a normal, peaceful life?
But now you want to stay here? That's like... the complete opposite!
You're right.
You... It's not because...you feel despair...
No, o-of course not. I don't wanna get slapped again.
Then...why?
Even I'm not...totally sure... But earlier, when I said how I want to save both... All the scary feelings and hesitation I've felt were gone. Even though the odds were against us, for some reason... I felt courage. I think it's because I was confident that that was what I needed to do.
But...what would happen if I leave this town with you and Byakuya? What would happen if Future Foundation came here to suppress the riot and uncover the secret? And then, what would happen if the Remnants of Despair were to find this place...?

Komaru says "Remnants of Hope" here, but that's probably a mistake.

It would turn into a war... Just like Monaca said.
S-So you're saying you're going to be this town's hostage in place of Master?
...Until now, I kept relying on you, and I never really got to make decisions on my own. But I was like that even before I met you. I used to give up all the time...
But the decision to save everyone was one I made on my own. Of course, I'm scared, and I'm worried... But despite that, I've made up my mind.
I won't give up until the very end. I'll make sure I protect both.
Idiot... You're awfully optimistic, after all this...
...Ahhh!

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Seriously, what are you thinking!? You're just like your brother sometimes!
No... I think I got it from you.
...Huh? Me?
You were with me all this time. If I have changed... It's your influence, Toko.
F-For now, I'm going to be fine. This is much better than an imprisoned life, regardless...
So don't worry about me. Go back with Byakuya. You two are the only ones who can persuade Future Foundation not to interfere here.
S-So please, don't be mad...
What!? Of course I'm mad!
Jeez... Why do I have to stay behind in a town like this...?
..."I"?
Oh, no, you misunderstood. I meant *I'm* the one who's gonna stay here.

♪ BGM: This Is the Path We Follow

If you're going to stay, there's no way I can leave!
I-I...decided to be with you too, remember?
Toko...
Do you really think some brother-complex girl like you can be Master's substitute!? In a hostage trade, you and I are barely enough for one Master Byakuya.
So...I'll stay with you. That's the decision *I* made. No complaining.
But you said you wanted to go home with Byakuya...
Hmph, I don't need your concern.
Master and I are rock solid. Even if we're apart, our feelings towards each other will never change.

...Huh?

It's true, what you said. Even if we're apart... My feelings of disgust toward you will never change.
...Master!?

♪ BGM: The Day Before The Future

It's a choice I made myself. But I know that I can't just expect things to change right away, just because I'm staying... I know that I can't become real hope, like you...
So...I'm going to wait. I'm going to wait for the day you guys defeat the Remnants of Despair and come home safe. Ah, but...you don't have to rush or anything, okay? I'll wait until the day you come to pick me up. I have the gun Mister Byakuya gave me...and I have my reliable friend, Toko.
And... About Mom and Dad... ...I didn't find anything. I went to the torture room later, but it was empty. The film that girl forced me to watch must have been recorded earlier, or fake...
That means there's a chance they're alive and well somewhere, right? Maybe even somewhere in this city. That's what I choose to believe.
...Okay, sorry, this video is getting pretty long... I guess I should wrap it up. The next time you see me...I might be so grown up you don't even recognize me. Just like how surprised I was when I saw you. ...See ya later, Makoto.

I thought all your sister was good for was cowering in fear... But there you have it.
Seriously... Well...she's surprised me before...
Hey Makoto... You know what we have to do, right? We have to stop this idiotic "war" and return here to retrieve them. We wouldn't want to betray their expectations.
...Yeah, you're right.
I've made up my mind, Byakuya. If a situation like this ever happens again... No matter how dangerous the trap... I'm jumping right in. So I can end it properly. With my own two hands.

Huh?

Fine. I'll partner with you. For just a little while. At least...until I've repaid the debt I owe to Toko and your sister.
...Yeah.

♪ BGM: Ending -progressive-

And with that, we're dropped into the credits.

There's nothing too special about them, with the exception of something at the end. To start, the credits just show a bunch of stills from the animated sequences from the game. But towards the end, they show three unique CGs. Thankfully, we can buy them in the extras shop later, so I can just show them to you like that.

First, we have Haiji sitting amongst adults smashing up Monokumas, looking like he still hasn't coped with the fact that his big hope got blown up by two schoolgirls.

Next, we have the Warriors of Hope, still alive, but it seems that now the Monokuma kids have completely turned on them. The game deliberately leaves this vague.

And finally, the student has become the master, as Monaca has now gone full Junko and is working on her next project with some Monokuma kids. That's it for the credits, but we still have a post-credits scene.

You're not really a morning person, are you? Are you secretly staying up late without me!?
Th-Thanks to your jimmy legs and snoring, I can't get a good night's sleep!
I'm so not snoring! But... It's true, I might toss and turn while I'm asleep.
And it wasn't just snoring! You were talking in your sleep! Saying "Makotooo"...
L-Lies! Definitely lies!
And if you want to get a good night's sleep, why don't you go sleep in your own bed!? We're in a hotel, there's plenty of other rooms...
D-Don't be an idiot, what happens if a ghost shows up!?
Ah, so you're into occult stuff now!
W-Well...you really *did* get possessed, right? So g-g-ghosts *do* exist...right?
Well, I guess that's just one more thing you're afraid of now.
It's all your fault!
C-C'mon, let's go. If we don't keep a watchful eye, these people are gonna start fighting again.
No time to slack off.
What? But you're the one who woke up late!

Hey! I told you to wait! Awww, c'mon, Toki!

And here we are, at the end of the story.

Hrm.

You can now make use of the "Bonus Mode" where you can view CGs and listen to BGMs. By loading the cleared save data with the *, you can check them out. Thanks for playing!

♪ BGM: Absolute? Despair? Girl?

And now that we've beaten the game in its entirety, we get to access this menu after loading a save. Continue just continues from the save point on.

We also now have access to a chapter select. New Game lets us do a sort of new game plus, which I have no interest in at the moment, since I'm not going for 100% completion because of a particular reason you'll see in a bit.

The Extra menu, like we were told earlier, lets us buy movies, CGs and music with our left over Monocoins. We can also change the voice language on the fly here. ...hang on.

Yeah, there we go! Now I can finally find out what the hell Shirokuma was saying in that scene where he was getting beat up by Monokumas!

And there's our answer. Mystery solved.

And finally, we have Ultra Despair Hagakure. This is a novel that is a spinoff off of the spinoff. Now, I haven't read this. I just couldn't be arsed, because I really don't care for Yasuhiro. But we'll figure out what we're going to do with this later.

For now, we've officially reached the end of Ultra Despair Girls. I'm missing Bling Bullets somewhere, but I can't be arsed to search the entire game for those, because I have no idea where I missed something. With that, I suppose it's time to give some closing thoughts.

So, I've gone on record as stating that this is my favorite Danganronpa game. Now that we've seen all of it, here's some more details on why.

- I think Komaru is the best protagonist in the series. She has the most genuine reactions to the crazy poo poo going on, is the most relatable, and is just genuinely an enjoyable character.
- I think Komaru and Toko also make the best duo in the series, too. Though that's a bit unfair, given that the construction of the game gives a lot more time to our two main characters than any duo could get in a mainline DR game. Still, the chemistry between Komaru and Toko is excellent, going from a freaked out civilian of sorts and a bundle of neuroses trying to keep it together long enough to achieve her goal to battle-forged friends.
- I also greatly appreciate that this game is a spinoff that actually makes a difference in the genre. It's too easy to just stick with what worked to start with, so them taking a risk and going with a third person shooter is something I like.
- I liked a lot that we actually got to see what the outside world looks like. Both DR1 and DR2 talked a big game about the Incident and both ended with the survivors leaving their confinement and looking towards an unsure future, but we never really got to see what the world actually looks like. While Towa City isn't an example of what the original Incident's fuckery looked like, it gives us a pretty good facsimile, I'd say.
- I think the antagonists of this game are a lot better than Junko. Monaca in particular profits from being built up the entire game instead of showing up at the end like some sort of despair god from the heavens or whatever, and the Warriors of Hope as a whole are also a lot more interesting. I think the idea of using mentally broken children that have been given way too much power for their own good as antagonists is really interesting. You can argue about the execution, but I like the concept.
- I actually really enjoyed the gameplay. People have their problems with it, but personally, I liked it. The different ammo for the megaphone combined with the Monoku-Man puzzles made it different enough to a standard third person shooter and kept things fresh.
- I also really like the music here. This game, thanks to moving away from the regular Danganronpa formula, gets to enjoy a semi-unique soundtrack instead of slightly remixing a ton of music from the previous games - though it's not like this game doesn't have its share of that as well. Tracks like The Warriors Of Hope, Wonderful Dead 002, Like I Would Become A Monster and It's a Kids' World are my favorite in the series.
- Another thing I'm fond of are the environments. I've gone over this before, but compared to the first game in particular, the fact that this game takes place in an open city instead of an enclosed building really does the environment variety good. It makes advancing through the game a lot more enjoyable when you can't predict what's going to come next, particularly with some of the crazy poo poo this game pulls like the technicolor vomit of the riverside area from Chapters 2 and 3.

I recognize that a lot of this is personal bias, and I'm pretty much entirely glossing over the negatives, but that's honestly just the kind of guy I am. I'm very much a "warts and all" type of guy that tries to accentuate the positives in something he likes, which of course was the stated goal of this LP - not that I did a great job of it, but I tried, anyway.

Aaaanyway, with that, we currently have one thing to decide, and that's how this thread will continue. There are two options available, and I would like you to vote on it.

------------------------------------

A) Go through Ultimate Despair Hagakure, then Danganronpa 3

Like I said, I have no idea if that story is any good. It might actually be great! All I know is that it involves Yasuhiro and Kanon Nakajima (you know, Leon's person of interest?) mucking about in Towa City.

B) Skip Ultimate Despair Hagakure, go straight to Danganronpa 3

Of course, the story might also be kinda poo poo. I don't believe it's relevant to anything that follows after it. And really, we did a spinoff now. Do we really need a spinoff of the spinoff?

------------------------------------

Either way, I don't know if you all have realized where we're going, but note that regardless of which option is picked, I will be covering Danganronpa 3, the anime that was made to be a conclusion to the Hope's Peak saga, next. I'm not 100% sure how exactly I'll do it, but I'll figure something out. I'm doing this because, well, much like UDG, who the gently caress else is going to be stupid enough to even try it? So anyway, this thread isn't over yet regardless.

But to round out our UDG part of the thread, I would like to ask a little favor of the audience, because I'm very curious. When you vote, I would also ask of you to tell me something you really liked about this game. It doesn't have to be anything big. Just a small moment where you thought "you know what, that was really good" or something like that. Also, to keep things fresh, try to pick something nobody else has picked yet.

Now, to close off this update, I'll give you one of my little things I really liked about this game: There's a bit of understated comedy in the "Break The Controller" segment which goes under in the whole excitement of the scene. When Monaca stands up in the middle of the scene, Haiji and Kotoko both get really confused, but Toko basically just goes "Guys, get with the program, you're like half an hour behind!". I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Happy voting!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 6, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Skip! Also never been a big fan of his. I have vague knowledge of the plot, though.

Something I liked, huh? I guess I'll say Toko's character growth was refreshing. Even her alternate personality decides not to kill someone out of affection for Komaru.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Skip.

I liked Komaru's boundless enthusiasm for dunking on small children after solving their puzzles. Shame we didn't see as much of that towards the end.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Right, so the kids get off scot free (I don't believe for a second that those Monokuma kids killed them, not with a vague shot like that and the fact they already were "turned" on by them and still lived). Monaca got crippled for real, but she gets to live on and get right back to scheming whatever. Meanwhile the adults are left with their nightmares, trauma, and having to rebuild their shattered lives. Also, the Monokuma kids are still being used to cause havoc.

I certainly feel like stuff was accomplished here.

I kind of hate this ending to be honest.

I don't have a vote since I have no idea what either of those choices are. In terms of nice things, I loved Komaru as a character for the first half of the game or so. I even still kind of like her at the end. But that kind of middle part where Toko prods her into that BS speech, I hate that, mainly because I grew to despise Toko and her crap.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Congrats on the finished LP! I'd say my favorite part of the game, aside from Touko and Komaru, were the collectibles. As much as they feel over-the-top and hammy at times they do a great job at establishing the tone of the game and are an entertaining break in between FPS sections, to sock boot.

And I vote skip, I am somewhat curious about the side story but am a lot more curious about how you're going to pull off showcasing Danganronpa 3.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Yeah, basically nothing but Toko and Komaru's relationship got resolved.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Oh my god you absolute madman, you're going to do DR 3!?
SKIP.
I am very curious to see how you will pull that off.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I am curious about that short novel, but I don't want to force you to read it if you don't want to. It might be better if you just link to somewhere that has the whole thing.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Komaru and Toko's friendship is one of the best I've seen and I love it.

Minor kinda funny note about Komaru's voice here, after she gets slapped by Toko and decides to become a badass, her voice gets a bit deeper as a sign of her character development. In a couple of the cutscenes afterwards (including the very last cutscene of the game) she inexplicably switches back to the voice she had at the start of the game, and it's incredibly jarring and noticeable. I guess they recorded out of order?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I've read UDH, and it's not worth it. Jumping on board the skip train.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The fact that they apparently didn't even try and take the helmets off of the Monokuma kids is really lame. That was a big part of the ending with the controller and the result was just... do nothing with it. And shirokuma and kurokama being Junko was frankly lame - yeah, yeah, everything is always Junko, but kurokuma was basically a nonentity who talked in an amusing way but did nothing, and shirokuma did nothing Junkoish onscreen ever.

As for something I liked - I have to echo other people's opinions on Toko. This was a much more interesting look at her than she got in DR1.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Qrr posted:

And shirokuma and kurokama being Junko was frankly lame - yeah, yeah, everything is always Junko, but kurokuma was basically a nonentity who talked in an amusing way but did nothing, and shirokuma did nothing Junkoish onscreen ever.

It's me, Toko!

What?

Aw, son of a bitch.

It's me, Toko! It was me all along, Toko!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

At this point, I fully expect Danganronpa 3's big plot twist to be that literally everybody, including the protagonist, is secretly Junko.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!

Ratoslov posted:

At this point, I fully expect Danganronpa 3's big plot twist to be that literally everybody, including the protagonist, is secretly Junko.

Must... not... mention... DR0...

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Ratoslov posted:

I'm Junko :)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Shirokuma and Kurokuma at least both seem close to one of Junko’s rapidly shifting personalities from the ends of the two main games.

Speaking of, I personally like that this game tried to be different in a meaningful way with a unique message. It didn’t necessarily land 100% if the time but I appreciate the attempt.

I also think this is an intentional non-ending. The Warriors of Hope no longer believe in Junko/Monaca but remain free in the city, Monaca is becoming the successor but Nagito has to leave soon and she might not amount to anything, Toko and Komaru remain in the city to vaguely fight but have no real goal.

This was quite literally a meaningless side game and Dangan Ronpa sometimes likes going into meta commentary on the games themselves so maybe that’s intended.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I didnt even realize the monokuma kids were still a thing.

That really should have been resolved by now damnit.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Don't skip. This is my first time hearing about Ultimate Despair Hagakure and I'm curious to see what it is.

The thing I like about this game is the various Monoku-man, at least in theory. The execution might be flawed due to the wonkiness, but I like the concept of using the game elements as a puzzle. It reminds me of Nazo Puyo in that way.

I also like what they do with Toko, but it's a shame that Jack/Sho doesn't get to do much.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

hahaha I forgot you said you were doing the anime :allears: unbelievable. Skip Hagakure and let's get this show on the road!

For my favourite thing, I'm a sucker for the original cast, so seeing all the Hit List entries made me happy. I want a spinoff-spinoff with Detective Ishimaru and his sidekick, Extremely Spoiled Cat.

I also really ... uh, 'like' is perhaps a strong word, but I think Kotoko has the potential to be a really compelling character, and her voice actress is great. In a different game, perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
Skip the novel. It provides context for like one random file you find in the game and that's pretty much the only noteworthy thing about it. Not really worth the time spent reading it, much less transcribing.

I really like the trophy for finishing the epilogue: