Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Alchenar posted:

There's an end to the main plot and then there's a literal 'ride off into the sunset' moment to close it all off but the game gives you a massive unmissable 'this will roll credits and dump you onto the main menu' warning. You can do it and then reload (but at that point you are probably ready to stop anyway).

Unless you are me where I did that, ride right up to the border and the npc I was with got off his horse, left it there and slowly walked back to town so that he could stand silently in front of a window forever. He left his stuff in a chest at a camp though so now I have two of his swords. Pretty weird and I never got to see the end credits or whatever happens after the ride into the sunset. It was funny though and the bug was actually a more fitting end than whatever was supposed to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wonder how this was done, anything I select other than what I'm currently wearing gives me worse stats. I actually had a kettle hat on me when I saw this pic and trying it on made my character worse at stealth.

e: I'm down to 23/26/0 now, switching in tight red hose.

Buller posted:

Ever been to Bohemia?

Yes, once. Why, are they known for this?

Come to think of it, half the NPCs have their head covered, so maybe they're the blondies

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 27, 2019

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Phlegmish posted:

I wonder how this was done, anything I select other than what I'm currently wearing gives me worse stats. I actually had a kettle hat on me when I saw this pic and trying it on made my character worse at stealth.

Yes, once. Why, are they known for this?

Come to think of it, half the NPCs have their head covered, so maybe they're the blondies

You need to get the perk that makes equipment you repair less noisy and then repair your own stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phlegmish posted:

Two things -- part of it's perks, also some items have a few different "versions" that have slightly different stats -- not all "black hoods" are equal.

And yeah the kettle hat will pop your numbers up a bit either way, it's just the least bad helm option.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I bought the best bow that was available in a shop and the best arrows since i've tons of money now and lol I see why people say it breaks combat. I just did the nest of vipers quest and in the sabotage stage I just shot everyone until I'd cleared the camp so I could do the optional bits. It sucks that long swords do way more damage than every other weapon because I've now got the best axe and its damage stats are nowhere near the st martins sword I got for a side quest early on

I'm probably way overlevelled at this point as well. I'm level 14 now as a result of doing a bunch of side quests before I did the main story and I've got 18k groshen from killing all the cumans during the nest of vipers

Rolfus
Jan 14, 2008
Does that actually reduce the number of cumans in the next stage of that quest? I'd be pretty cool if you roll in with Radzig and the troops only to find the pile of corpses that you had made while you were supposed to scope the place out..

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Unfortunately, no. I did the same thing and was disappointed to see the following battle unchanged.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jose posted:

I'm probably way overlevelled at this point as well. I'm level 14 now as a result of doing a bunch of side quests before I did the main story and I've got 18k groshen from killing all the cumans during the nest of vipers

I'm a next-level CRPG player, not only am I not doing the main quest, I'm not even doing side quests. At this point I've gathered 120K Groschen through various, mostly criminal activities

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mondian posted:

Unfortunately, no. I did the same thing and was disappointed to see the following battle unchanged.

If you hit all the quest goals etc. the night before, the fight the next day will be *easier*, but it isn't possible to just wander in and have Radzig greet a pile of corpses, unfortunately, no matter how many you slaughter.

OTOH you can stash all the loot in the nearby chests and then come back later with your horse and cart it all off to sell, takes a few trips, worth it

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Is there a list of which quests are timed somewhere?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

how much of the main story is there to do after sabotaging the bandit camp and fighting runt?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Jose posted:

how much of the main story is there to do after sabotaging the bandit camp and fighting runt?

That's about half-way through

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I finished the game a few days ago. I have to say, it was quite an experience. Really hoping for a sequel.

Also, in the quest, "Gallows Brothers," snitching on those two idiots Matthew and Fritz and getting them hanged was the morally correct decision. Prove me wrong.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

No, you're right they are complete shitheads

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So guys - how did you pump your Agility? My Hunting is maxed out, I've used the bow in fights here and then, but I'm still only at 11. Is it really just archery that increases it?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

So guys - how did you pump your Agility? My Hunting is maxed out, I've used the bow in fights here and then, but I'm still only at 11. Is it really just archery that increases it?

Using agility weapons , dodging and sometimes running and jumping around raise it(though it's pretty slow).
Plus, the agility book series.
Mostly, train with Bernard.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I don't think so, but it should be pretty obvious if you assume the world is real and apply common sense. Ie. if a guy says "harry, do this thing and report back to me" and goes about their daily business then it isn't timed. If he says "harry, do this thing and report back to me" and is standing expectantly in a place you wouldn't expect a real person to stand expectantly at for long then it's probably timed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fat Samurai posted:

If you look in my guide I think I noted down which Act 1 ones were. They generally give you a clue.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I don't think so, but it should be pretty obvious if you assume the world is real and apply common sense. Ie. if a guy says "harry, do this thing and report back to me" and goes about their daily business then it isn't timed. If he says "harry, do this thing and report back to me" and is standing expectantly in a place you wouldn't expect a real person to stand expectantly at for long then it's probably timed.

Yeah, so far they have been pretty obvious (if your boss tells you to be at this point at dawn to go hunting, be at this point at dawn) but now I'm wondering if I have screwed up: Just after Pebbles, Captain whatsisname has hosed off god knows where in the middle of an investigation (just as Ginger in a Pickle starts), and he should be taking an interest in this pretty clear follow up to his orders. I have taken a two day detour to learn to read, which seems like a bad idea, but haven't gotten a failure notification yet.

Anyway, besides the saving anywhere thing, which mods are good? I'm using the archery pointer, a mod to keep clothes clean for longer and a texture thing to make plants stand out more.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you look in my guide I think I noted down which Act 1 ones were. They generally give you a clue.

Thanks for your efforts, btw. The Battle Brothers one was very helpful.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So uh...does anyone have Pickpocketing tips? I'm targeting sleeping people, but even they often catch me before I can even start rummaging in their pockets. It's tanking my reputation. I have my torch out, don't know if the game takes that into account.

e: figured out two rules so far:

1. Don't pickpocket the same person twice
2. Never steal from shop guards

e2: I just don't get it, sometimes I hold down e and I immediately get caught, how is that fair or predictable. They're loving asleep and I'm level 10 in Pickpocketing

e3: are you pulling my pizzle with this poo poo

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 2, 2019

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Its been like a year I need to reinstall this game

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Yeah, definitely going to have a hard time pick-pocketing with a bright, noisey torch in your off-hand...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
From what I remember after a certain point I didn't really bother much with pickpocketing on my stealth run because it was easier to just choke people out from behind and take their poo poo.

I think there were a few specific quests where you needed pickpocketing specifically and only that would work though. I think for those what I did was

1) make a shitload of pickpocket boosting potions
2) do the initial "train pickpocketing" quest a bunch until I got fatigued with it
3) ran around and did the various quests and found all the books that give +pickpocketing as a reward

That was enough to get up to like pickpocketing 10 or so and that + potion made the quests that required it tolerable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, definitely going to have a hard time pick-pocketing with a bright, noisey torch in your off-hand...

It actually makes no difference, near as I can tell.

Whatever, I'm at 20 now and all it took was for me to become the most hated man in Bohemia

e: it's actually not that difficult to steal a specific something from a specific person, it's just stupid how it stays RNG even after you max out both pickpocketing and stealth. You could be level 20 in both, wearing stealthy clothing, and you could still immediately get caught by a sleeping townswoman, tanking your reputation.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 3, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I actually liked both the lockpicking and pickpocketing minigames... there's something wring with me

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The minigames are fine. Lockpicking in general is fine. Pickpocketing would be fine except that the RNG god can decide that you got caught stealing a moldy pretzel from a sleeping grandma even in the stealthiest possible circumstances.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
lockpicking is comically easy in this game, I'm not sure where people are heaving trouble with unless they're playing on console

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, that priest is a cool guy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, that priest is a cool guy.

I liked how the game handled Henry playing a small role in igniting the protestant reformation.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Phlegmish posted:

It actually makes no difference, near as I can tell.

Whatever, I'm at 20 now and all it took was for me to become the most hated man in Bohemia

e: it's actually not that difficult to steal a specific something from a specific person, it's just stupid how it stays RNG even after you max out both pickpocketing and stealth. You could be level 20 in both, wearing stealthy clothing, and you could still immediately get caught by a sleeping townswoman, tanking your reputation.

i think its a distance thing. at least a year ago or whatever when i played, there was a distance you could stand from someone that would let you start pickpocketing but immediately fail you as you lean back or something. try getting really, really close

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Party Plane Jones posted:

lockpicking is comically easy in this game, I'm not sure where people are heaving trouble with unless they're playing on console

A lot of people don't realise that its based on how long you hold it. "I failed immediately" means you didn't hold long enough. System isn't particularly easy to decipher

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are people getting lockpicking and pickpocketing confused? Lockpicking starts out unforgiving, but it follows the normal difficulty curve and I can lockpick Very Hard locks right under people's noses at this point. It's pickpocketing that's bullshit.

Might be what Verviticus said, that would be typical for this game. I'll have to try getting really close every time, though it's easier to just choke people out and steal all their poo poo that way.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 5, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Are people getting lockpicking and pickpocketing confused? Lockpicking starts out unforgiving, but it follows the normal difficulty curve and I can lockpick Very Hard locks right under people's noses at this point. It's pickpocketing that's bullshit.

Might be what Verviticus said, that would be typical for this game. I'll have to try getting really close every time, though it's easier to just choke people out and steal all their poo poo that way.

Are you savescumming? I've had the problem that once I messed up once, I would get detected after loading as soon as I tried, even changing targets.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There is definitely something weird with pickpocketing sleeping characters. I can sneak up behind someone in broad daylight and pickpocket them without getting detected but trying the same on a sleeping person, especially if there is another person sleeping nearby, almost always gets me detected.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This game gets buggy so weirdly. I got forced out of the rattay tourney in the very final fight because it decided I needed to be inspected by a guard and I'm currently doing the dice side quest against the robber baron and 3 times in now it has let the other player go twice in a row

Its also got to be the worst optimised game I've ever played. It slows down all the time in a way nothing else does on my pc

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jose posted:

This game gets buggy so weirdly. I got forced out of the rattay tourney in the very final fight because it decided I needed to be inspected by a guard and I'm currently doing the dice side quest against the robber baron and 3 times in now it has let the other player go twice in a row

Its also got to be the worst optimised game I've ever played. It slows down all the time in a way nothing else does on my pc

If you use up all your dice in farkle, you can take another turn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

they're routinely doing it with 1/2 dice left

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dogstile posted:

A lot of people don't realise that its based on how long you hold it. "I failed immediately" means you didn't hold long enough. System isn't particularly easy to decipher

No, immediately means immediately, as in when they're still in the "hold button" phase. It happened to me a few times too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jose posted:

Yeah it's amazing to me they're still pushing out bitty DLC when while I appreciated playing for the novelty, the opportunity to pay for the privilege for another 2-3 hours of super janky content does not fill me with joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
For pickpocketing sleeping people, you might want to make sure the game actually considers you "behind" the sleeper. For that, the way the model is facing doesn't matter. All sleepers are considered facing towards the footend of the bed. This way, you may also be able to avoid them recognizing you in the time between waking up and you knocking them out.