Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Watched Lifeforce for the first time last night. Rad movie. I felt like the first 45min were really great, then it seemed to slow down. Helicopter scene was nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I finally got to see Suspiria 2018 and god drat that third act y'all.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I finally got to see Suspiria 2018 and god drat that third act y'all.

do you mean act 3/6 or act 3/3

SMP
May 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

do you mean act 3/6 or act 3/3

yes

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

not blank quoting, but yes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
In Suspiria, Mater Suspirium's mother's spirit just walking around blowing up the heads of people who voted for Markos is one of the best/funniest sequences of 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ReapersTouch posted:

Watched Lifeforce for the first time last night. Rad movie. I felt like the first 45min were really great, then it seemed to slow down. Helicopter scene was nuts.

You're not the only one who thought this. After the movie was in theaters in the UK 15 minutes was cut from it to tighten it up a bit for all subsequent releases. The blu-ray releases of it have both cuts and the changes are kind of interesting. It's not just that stuff was cut but some dialogue was moved around to different parts of the movie and some scenes rearranged a bit to make it feel a little faster paced.

Awesome movie either way though, I love that flick.

LesterGroans posted:

In Suspiria, Mater Suspirium's mother's spirit just walking around blowing up the heads of people who voted for Markos is one of the best/funniest sequences of 2018

This was so good, and I liked how out of nowhere it felt thanks to the burst of color during that scene. Also Tilda Swinton in the aftermath of that was great all of them.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching People Under the Stairs for the first time. That was completely absurd and hosed up and also hilarious hahaha

I love how evil white people took all the money out of the ghetto, then at the end it was all given back to them.

Also, drat, Everett McGill and Wendy Robie play reeeeeeeeally different roles in this than they do in Twin Peaks :staredog:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
This is just barely horror I think, but I watched Anna and the Apocalypse; I quite liked it. The zombie stuff is the usual fare but the songs were quite catchy, which is the important thing for me in a musical. My main complaint is that the number of songs slowed to a trickle a little past the midpoint of the film, but fortunately they started singing again towards the end.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 30, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also, drat, Everett McGill and Wendy Robie play reeeeeeeeally different roles in this than they do in Twin Peaks :staredog:

Think about it, do they really? :tinfoil:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

I really like how they're just cleaning up afterward.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

Think about it, do they really? :tinfoil:

Exactly what I was going to suggest too.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just finished watching People Under the Stairs for the first time. That was completely absurd and hosed up and also hilarious hahaha

I love how evil white people took all the money out of the ghetto, then at the end it was all given back to them.

It's one of my favorite Craven films. While I haven't heard anything recently, I do remember hearing talks about it getting remade or there being a cable TV series made from it. I'm iffy on both since I don't think they'd handle the balance of message/story as well as the original does, and I really don't see how a series would do unless it's set earlier and building up to the movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
People Under the Stairs holds a special place in my heart because I saw a clip of it at my grandparents house (specifically the kid showing his lack of tongue) while my dad was flipping channels and like 15 years later I watched it, saw that scene, and lost my poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's one of my favorite Craven films. While I haven't heard anything recently, I do remember hearing talks about it getting remade or there being a cable TV series made from it. I'm iffy on both since I don't think they'd handle the balance of message/story as well as the original does, and I really don't see how a series would do unless it's set earlier and building up to the movie.

It's my favorite Craven film actually, even above Nightmare on Elm Street. It's just so quirky and weird, while also being scary and having a message, and it's a lot of fun to watch. For whatever reason I never fell in love with NoES the way I did with some of the other 80's horror icons.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

People Under The Stairs occupies a nostalgic part of my heart because it seemed like it was one of the only movies that USA network had the rights to back in the day, and I cannot even tell you how many times I saw it because of that reason.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I have a sentimental love of People Under the Stairs too. When I was around 9 or 10, my mother and I rented both it and Lawnmower Man (my choices) and spent the afternoon watching them and laughing our asses off, eating Mike & Ikes and hot Warheads. It's a good memory.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's my favorite Craven film actually, even above Nightmare on Elm Street. It's just so quirky and weird, while also being scary and having a message, and it's a lot of fun to watch. For whatever reason I never fell in love with NoES the way I did with some of the other 80's horror icons.

Same here, I do love the original and New Nightmare though and of course most of the rest are some combination of good/bad/fun/worth watching in their own way. But my friends were always way more into Freddy than I was.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

People Under the Stairs is definitely my fav Craven film. It's so loving weird and wholly original I love it. Also creepy as gently caress.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

People Under the Stairs is definitely my fav Craven film. It's so loving weird and wholly original I love it. Also creepy as gently caress.

I really liked the kid in that movie, little dude had a nice run with Mighty Ducks, People Under the Stairs, and the Sandlot. I even give Ghost in the Machine a pass because he's in it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

oh yeah hes loving fantastic in it!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That kid rules.

ruddiger posted:

I really liked the kid in that movie, little dude had a nice run with Mighty Ducks, People Under the Stairs, and the Sandlot. I even give Ghost in the Machine a pass because he's in it.

Ghost in the Machine is so amazingly dumb. :3: Everyone in this thread should watch it. The auto-test area scene is amazing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up, The Eyes of Laura Mars was recently added to Amazon Prime. It's been on my To-Watch list for a few years now thanks to this thread (based on a rec by Uncle Boogeyman or maybe HUNDU?), but it's not the easiest to find through legit channels. Pretty excited to finally watch it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Jason X is the best F13 Sequel.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Welcome back, Hollis.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Jason Takes Manhattan is the best F13 Sequel.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sad day today.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dick-miller-dead-gremlins-howling-star-was-90-1181442

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Not Walter Paisley!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I honestly have a hardcore Mandella effect thing going on with him. I swear I’ve read about him dying twice before, but it was probably just about how awesome he was.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
https://twitter.com/joe_dante/status/1090782866202476544
https://twitter.com/joe_dante/status/1090783263247949824

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I hope he gets a phased-plasma-rifle-in-the-40-watt-range salute at his funeral

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goddamn, I had just looked him up after watching Gremlins 2 a few days ago.

There's been this really bad trend of me looking up people or works right before someone from it dies. Like I listened to Fats Domino on purpose for the first time a few days before he died.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

chitoryu12 posted:

Goddamn, I had just looked him up after watching Gremlins 2 a few days ago.

There's been this really bad trend of me looking up people or works right before someone from it dies. Like I listened to Fats Domino on purpose for the first time a few days before he died.
Why don’t you, uh, do some light reading on John Bolton or something

I’d settle for Kissinger

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I like that Aunt Martha is in so many avatars now. Now browsing the forums reminds me of Sleepaway Camp even more.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Same here, I do love the original and New Nightmare though and of course most of the rest are some combination of good/bad/fun/worth watching in their own way. But my friends were always way more into Freddy than I was.

3 is clearly the best one, partially due to Darabont changing everything around, and the other scriptwriters going with it. Same reason Blob remake is so good. Its basically a role playing adventure quest against a final boss and wears it on its sleeve. The series is built around 3, really, and nothing else lives up to the initial premise except 3. Including 1 and the fabulously gay 2. New Nightmare is okay at being meta before the Scream era, at least.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Darko posted:

3 is clearly the best one, partially due to Darabont changing everything around, and the other scriptwriters going with it. Same reason Blob remake is so good. Its basically a role playing adventure quest against a final boss and wears it on its sleeve. The series is built around 3, really, and nothing else lives up to the initial premise except 3. Including 1 and the fabulously gay 2. New Nightmare is okay at being meta before the Scream era, at least.

3 is also the only installment that is arguably really about dreams and dream logic, as opposed to using the concept of dreams as a vector for regular-degular haunting hijinks. It maximizes the potential of the concept to its ultimate degree.

New Nightmare is fine, but it kind of falls apart in the third-act. The more it brushes up against being a traditional NOES movie, the less engaging it becomes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
RIP Dick Miller.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I honestly think I like 1, 2, and 3 equally.

I'm sure everyone here has seen Popcorn but if not that's another good Scream Before Scream.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The Stand is coming out as a 10-episode series.

I have a real soft spot for the old miniseries - they casted pretty well and the first half is good, even if the back half is fairly lame with a terrible ending. Great use of Don't Fear the Reaper though. CBS All Access is doing pretty well with The Good Fight and Star Trek Disco, so I'm optimistic on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The original miniseries has a really good cast and a few decent moments, but it definitely short-changes the book.

I'm excited to see what a miniseries with less restrictions will do with it. I doubt their Randall Flagg will come close to Jamey Sheridan's though.