Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

How do player ratings work in the simulator?

There's skill ratings on 1-10 (1-100) scales which are: Inside, Outside, FT shooting, scoring , passing, ball handling, off/def rebounding, defensive ability, shot blocking, steals, drawing fouls, discipline, court IQ, and endurance. There's also a potentials rating that are able to raise a player's stats during the season depending on how they play.

Also there are playing style ratings: pass, drive/pass, drive/shot, post up, pull up, catch and shoot ratings, as well as floor range ratings: post, midrange, corner, above the break, dunk frequency. So there's quite a lot to it.

But in general, the ratings page is the 15 skill ratings I listed, and then it has a current/potential rating. A decent, older role player with not much upside might be 2.0/2.5 or 2.0/2.0, a rookie with a good upside might be 2.5/4.0 (max rating is 5.0), while a near star or star might be 3.5 or 4.0/5.0 something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Deadbeat Dad posted:

That should be in the exempt list stuff. They're essentially put in your exempt list and don't count against your cap, unless they come back to the NBA, and then you have to make a decision!

Yep.

No bird rights but you get one RFA tag to use in the game. Like I wrote, the top 30 players are going to be on their actual NBA contracts (from the start of this year), while anybody else is available to be claimed on 1 to 5 year deals -- just so there's not a huge boom of top tier players in one free agency and then literally nothing for other years. So, for example, you can use your RFA tag on, say, Klay Thompson, or someone with a 1 year deal, and that ensures you that you at least have a good shot at resigning him to a long term deal. Everybody else will be UFA at the end of their contracts (whether 1 or 5 years) unless you haven't used your RFA tag, and can apply it to one of them. But you can still bid on any UFA you had so there's also decent chances of getting those guys again.

Thanks. I might have been reading the OP too hurriedly at work :shrug:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'm thinking of joining this myself since this is a public auction and I've had to sit out of this the past few ones, but it could be a conflict of interest as far as people thinking I might muck my own's teams ratings or change my roster at different times than anyone else (which I wouldn't, obv), but if we do need a spot filled, I definitely wouldn't mind joining. Want to see if this fills up by tomorrow/Friday night though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Where do the ratings come from and when can they get changed? They’re impressively intricate!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'm thinking of joining this myself since this is a public auction and I've had to sit out of this the past few ones, but it could be a conflict of interest as far as people thinking I might muck my own's teams ratings or change my roster at different times than anyone else (which I wouldn't, obv), but if we do need a spot filled, I definitely wouldn't mind joining. Want to see if this fills up by tomorrow/Friday night though.

If anyone doubts you, I will kick their rear end, you've put in untold amounts of work the past few years and if you wanna join in to have some fun for once I trust you

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Deadbeat Dad posted:

If anyone thinks that they're an idiot, especially with all the work you've put into these. Tbh I say don't even bother waiting, just grab a spot for yourself.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

Where do the ratings come from and when can they get changed? They’re impressively intricate!

There's a guy that makes pretty much every update and I downloaded his rosters + jerseys + NBA mod basically for the game. However, I can go through and update any wonky settings for players (say, like, Kyrie Irving having an 8 for perimeter defense or something (not real, just an example) and post any updates in the thread of changes made. Maybe do a quick run down + little tweaks for one player on each team (if needed) and post the updates in the thread? Maybe do it once before the season starts, and once at all star break? Then roll with the new rosters/mods for next season? I don't want to tweak things too much, or on a whim, but also want players to accurately reflect their skill sets and not be useless if they aren't useless IRL. But yeah, we can vote for this kind of stuff after we get our rosters and some other information I'll need before the sim starts.

Cool Buff Man posted:

If anyone doubts you, I will kick their rear end, you've put in untold amounts of work the past few years and if you wanna join in to have some fun for once I trust you

alansmithee posted:

If anyone thinks that they're an idiot, especially with all the work you've put into these. Tbh I say don't even bother waiting, just grab a spot for yourself.

Thanks pals!! I'll think bout it overnight!! I'm just trying to make sure if there's any sort of thing involving the game that would be a complete no go as far as conflict of interest. I don't think there is, but maybe like, the potential of knowing what certain players ratings are beforehand? Maybe I can post the ratings next to the players when they're auctioned so that everyone knows what sort of "sim rating"/potential a player has.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 31, 2019

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

man you gotta do it. besides it wouldn't be authentic without a few conspiracy theories being in play

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Deadbeat Dad posted:

There's a guy that makes pretty much every update and I downloaded his rosters + jerseys + NBA mod basically for the game. However, I can go through and update any wonky settings for players (say, like, Kyrie Irving having an 8 for perimeter defense or something (not real, just an example)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Will we be able to know the player ratings ahead of time or are we just guessing?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

Will we be able to know the player ratings ahead of time or are we just guessing?

I can put the player rating total (the 2.0/3.0 rating stuff) next to the players being auctioned, but as far as every individual stat, would be too time consuming unless I just screenshot every current roster with the big board of that stuff. I intend to do that after all the rosters are finished, but beforehand, I can think about doing it if people want it? The player rating total number IS the culmination of every individual rating put together, so in essence, you would be seeing it.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 31, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
only cowards need the rating to bid the real gms know where the talent is

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

Truth.

Just play. Make yourself not be able to bid after ten minutes before the end of auctions so you aren't tempted by last second scoops and don't cheat otherwise. It's not that hard.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Metapod posted:

Tell that to the guy who ran the last BYOGM OOTP baseball league and ran a 4 man rotation (unheard of in like 50 years), loaded up on elite relievers, and then ran the table.

In all seriousness, I'm glad I have no idea what this simulation engine is like and I hope we all just choose good players and get to yell at a computer for loving everything up.

E: In all seriousness about pairing with another GM on the Hawks, I know talent but figuring out offense/defense strategies isn't my strong suit. I like shooters, scoring and lots of assists and disruptive defenders but I'm definitely weak at putting it all together.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 31, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Lockback posted:

Just play. Make yourself not be able to bid after ten minutes before the end of auctions so you aren't tempted by last second scoops and don't cheat otherwise. It's not that hard.

Bids reset regardless (it's 4 hours of no one bidding), but I don't intend to do anything like that regardless :-) but okay I'm excited to play!

OK gently caress it i'll bring NOLA some championships before the city sinks underwater

4 spots left! I sent some PMs out to some past players, but if you know anyone that would like to join, feel free to pass them the link

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 31, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

Tell that to the guy who ran the last BYOGM OOTP baseball league and ran a 4 man rotation (unheard of in like 50 years), loaded up on elite relievers, and then ran the table.

In all seriousness, I'm glad I have no idea what this simulation engine is like and I hope we all just choose good players and get to yell at a computer for loving everything up.

E: In all seriousness about pairing with another GM on the Hawks, I know talent but figuring out offense/defense strategies isn't my strong suit. I like shooters, scoring and lots of assists and disruptive defenders but I'm definitely weak at putting it all together.

That was me and I don't think I even made it to the world series :v:

Also Colorado had tried it in the last couple years before I ran it!

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650519

I lost in the first round to the loving Yankees, of course

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 31, 2019

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I want in as the Bulls

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

That was me and I don't think I even made it to the world series :v:

Also Colorado had tried it in the last couple years before I ran it!

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650519

I lost in the first round to the loving Yankees, of course

Oh, god. That's only fitting.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
I'm down if there is still a spot.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

sc0tty posted:

I'm down if there is still a spot.

Spurs, Suns, Hornets

you can pick out of any of those!

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Spurs, Suns, Hornets

you can pick out of any of those!

Gimme dem Spurs please. Pop 2.0

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
See, my teams have historically not been voted very well in BYOGM, but they've been very good in the sims- i would say i'm lightyears ahead of the rest.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Metapod posted:

we all know you're picking corey brewer relax ok

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Is the sim good? Out of the Park baseball has eaten up massive amounts of my life so playing a good basketball sim game would probably kill me and it's how I want to die

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Hey Deadbeat, I have a question about the RFA tag. In your write up you mention greed and winning tags influencing where a player signs. This seem different than normal FA bidding where money/years trumps everything. Am I missing something or wouldn't you be guaranteed to get your RFA back if you match the highest offer and add the 5 year?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Deadbeat you should absolutely join this for all the work you put into it and anyone who cries about conspiracy theories should be shamed for taking an internet forum game too seriously

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Doltos posted:

Deadbeat you should absolutely join this for all the work you put into it and anyone who cries about conspiracy theories should be shamed for taking an internet forum game too seriously

2 months later:

"wait how did Deadbeat Dad just end up with the actual Warriors roster?"

nah you should join up, is good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Will that british guy named Tom Quinn who makes youtube videos that sort of explain how trains work be making a video to explain all these rules and contusions

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Will that british guy named Tom Quinn who makes youtube videos that sort of explain how trains work be making a video to explain all these rules and contusions

It's mostly just me that's confused, it seems. I think everybody got me straightened out.

Bid for players - Michael Jordan - $3/4 yrs - meaning $3 per year for 4 years
$1 per player minimum
For players whose auction goes over $100, you can only raise by $1-$4 one time for each of those amounts and, otherwise, all raises need to be in increments of $5
"Sign players" by being the leading bid after a 4 hour window passes - 2 AM EST to 8 AM EST grace period on bids
Salary cap is a hard cap
No trades until rosters are full

Only suggestion I might have is structure the OP around the most relevant things first and the things that come later to come at the end.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 31, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Dutchy posted:

Is the sim good? Out of the Park baseball has eaten up massive amounts of my life so playing a good basketball sim game would probably kill me and it's how I want to die

It's cool! But it's a bit pricey. I think $35? So I wouldn't say its WORTH it because the level of customization isn't on the level of OOTP, but with mods, it gets up there. I would honestly check out https://basketball-gm.com/ since it's free and updated a lot, and there's a huge reddit devoted to it and essentially does the same thing, but only in a browser.

Michael Corleone posted:

Hey Deadbeat, I have a question about the RFA tag. In your write up you mention greed and winning tags influencing where a player signs. This seem different than normal FA bidding where money/years trumps everything. Am I missing something or wouldn't you be guaranteed to get your RFA back if you match the highest offer and add the 5 year?

Yes it's intended to be different just because there's no outside influences ever influencing a potential RFA or "decisions" for computers to make. I think there's also a loyalty bar too? So it's not always cut and dry. Like I said, if their "greed" bar is lower, and another team is offering slightly less than you, and their "winning" bar is high, and you were a hugely losing team, there is a chance they will not resign. If their greed bar is high, and somebody is offering, say, 250 a year and your max is 230, they have a good chance to sign him as well, since in regular free agency, money > years unless money is the same, then more years will matter. A team can hypothetically take a chance on your RFA and not want to sign theirs, or have a lot of money tied up in 1 year deals or something to have enough room to give a similar contract.

It's not a perfect system, but with that said, I want there to be a decently good chance for people to retain RFAs, but also the chance of them signing elsewhere too.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 31, 2019

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

tadashi posted:

Only suggestion I might have is structure the OP around the most relevant things first and the things that come later to come at the end.

Once the draft starts I'll be posting the rules that pertain to the draft only with it

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Anyway :siren: 2 SPOTS LEFT :siren: let's fill this poo poo by tonight

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

It's cool! But it's a bit pricey. I think $35? So I wouldn't say its WORTH it because the level of customization isn't on the level of OOTP, but with mods, it gets up there. I would honestly check out https://basketball-gm.com/ since it's free and updated a lot, and there's a huge reddit devoted to it and essentially does the same thing, but only in a browser.

Yes it's intended to be different just because there's no outside influences ever influencing a potential RFA or "decisions" for computers to make. I think there's also a loyalty bar too? So it's not always cut and dry. Like I said, if their "greed" bar is lower, and another team is offering slightly less than you, and their "winning" bar is high, and you were a hugely losing team, there is a chance they will not resign. If their greed bar is high, and somebody is offering, say, 250 a year and your max is 230, they have a good chance to sign him as well, since in regular free agency, money > years unless money is the same, then more years will matter. A team can hypothetically take a chance on your RFA and not want to sign theirs, or have a lot of money tied up in 1 year deals or something to have enough room to give a similar contract.

It's not a perfect system, but with that said, I want there to be a decently good chance for people to retain RFAs, but also the chance of them signing elsewhere too.

Wait, so are we going to be using Greed/Winning/whatever as part of this? I think it should be cut and dry so people don't get screwed by the RNG or some stupid hardcode "everyone wants to go to the Lakers"

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Lockback posted:

Wait, so are we going to be using Greed/Winning/whatever as part of this? I think it should be cut and dry so people don't get screwed by the RNG or some stupid hardcode "everyone wants to go to the Lakers"

Only 30 players (RFA) in the entire game are being used for this metric, because everybody else are UFAs, and this only comes into play if deals are close, or if another team is offering more for your guy.

I'll be using random.org for it, and let's say, at worse, you're 0/3 in the metrics to resign your RFA, the lowest you can go is a 50/50 chance to lose him. 2/3 or 3/3 will make it 8/10 or 9/10 chance to resign him. I'll make a more relevant post for it once it's ironed out besides its a while away, but along those lines.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

I kinda want to join in but I've only gotten busier at work and I haven't really had time to watch anything but highlights for the past few weeks. If nobody else joins by tomorrow I'll go ahead and reprise my role as the Suns.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Mountain Dew Code Bread posted:

I kinda want to join in but I've only gotten busier at work and I haven't really had time to watch anything but highlights for the past few weeks. If nobody else joins by tomorrow I'll go ahead and reprise my role as the Suns.

:getin:

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I've been home sick all this week with bad intestinal cramps, laying in bed, aching in pain, a cloud of deliriousness washing over me, when I heard a small beep from my phone. There was an email from a unknown contact - all I saw at first was "BYOGM", and I instantly felt better. Because of this, I feel like I should get the last team available.

Sign me up to be GM of.........

The Hornets? Did I read that right?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

The B_36 posted:

I've been home sick all this week with bad intestinal cramps, laying in bed, aching in pain, a cloud of deliriousness washing over me, when I heard a small beep from my phone. There was an email from a unknown contact - all I saw at first was "BYOGM", and I instantly felt better. Because of this, I feel like I should get the last team available.

Sign me up to be GM of.........

The Hornets? Did I read that right?

Hornets are available, yes.

Depending on if Mountain Dew Code Bread signs up by tomorrow, we will be officially filled! But also still Co-GM spots available if anybody else is interested, since there are a few teams wanting to have a few co-gms, so feel free to still sign up (anyone that may be viewing!)

also, once it's full tomorrow, I will repost the pertinent rules before anything begins (so, the bidding rules next) and let everybody know when it'll officially start. I am going to tweak a few things I've already posted, not huge changes, but just quality of life stuff for me and to make the bidding go as smoothly as possible. This will be the most time consuming part (on your end) of the entire process, but probably the most fun part as well, after this it'll be very low effort involvement for anybody worried about that, but I do hope people stay active and keep up with their teams at least!

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 1, 2019

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm looking for a Co-GM, there is no way I am going to be up at 2 AM when bidding closes for the night, so if you are a night owl, a west coaster, or just have the look, lets get together and #wrecktheleague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh Yikes, I didn't notice that it was open until 2AM EST. That seems... less than ideal. Is there anyway that can be like, midnight?