Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I beat Leon B true boss after whiffing my last two rockets into it before it could take damage lol

i did Leon B after Claire B, so I knew what to expect and just brought a flamethrower with a shitload of ammo to finish it, but found out it's immune to fire and got a really gnarly unique game over screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the unique kill animations are great. try getting grabbed by an ivy zombie without using a subweapon for a good one.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BBJoey posted:

the unique kill animations are great. try getting grabbed by an ivy zombie without using a subweapon for a good one.

I died to this probably 10 times in 4th survivor mode lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Pm-pEv34Y&t=242s

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Beat Leon a run tonight. Lol the cellos at the end.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

spb posted:

Beat Leon a run tonight. Lol the cellos at the end.
https://clips.twitch.tv/InspiringGeniusNikudonTBTacoLeft

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Got to the Chess room and burned my first save there. Running through is so fun but doing it on a B Route was a tricky idea I think, I'm desperately low on handgun ammo, which I need to stun zombies. But I'm sitting pretty on so many magnum rounds the bosses won't know what hit em

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's so sick how every enemy in the game except lickers can be neutralized with a single handgun shot

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Was trying out a s+ hardcore run as Claire tonight and planned on putting my first save at the beginning of the sewers because I'm terrible at avoiding the sewer monsters and I got caught at the orphanage.

what a terrible feeling. Police station seems like it has the most hazards of any area by far for this type of run.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

its cheating because in standard as long as you die in boss fights you never redo anything. also the noir filter makes the sewer dark AF

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

wow thats a huge rear end screenshot... as if the poster is compensating for something

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

In Training posted:

Got to the Chess room and burned my first save there. Running through is so fun but doing it on a B Route was a tricky idea I think, I'm desperately low on handgun ammo, which I need to stun zombies. But I'm sitting pretty on so many magnum rounds the bosses won't know what hit em

First save in the Chess room, nice. How much time do you have? When else are you planning to save - before G3 and then Super Tyrant maybe?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BBJoey posted:

First save in the Chess room, nice. How much time do you have? When else are you planning to save - before G3 and then Super Tyrant maybe?

I got there in about 60 minutes. I did a dry run through RPD once to figure out my route and on my 2nd attempt I figured a way to get all key items + shotgun + the inventory xpac without having to double back, which was cool. Also realized Leon can just skip the diamond key completely, so I never had to go into the morgue. I think my next save is gonna be before G3 and then after super tyrant...idk how to actually do the final boss well, I've fought it twice and I'm unclear on how damage you actually have to do or if you have to wait a bit before you can damage it or what.

Also this is on standard :sweatdrop: I would probably do my hardcore S+ on an A Route

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

its cheating because in standard as long as you die in boss fights you never redo anything. also the noir filter makes the sewer dark AF

It adds time to your counter but I guess the S requirement is super generous in standard A so it doesn't matter as much. Also lol, I turned the noir filter off after a couple seconds, it seemed to make the game impossible to look at

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The tea kettle sound effect when near the plant guys is cool

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

It adds time to your counter but I guess the S requirement is super generous in standard A so it doesn't matter as much. Also lol, I turned the noir filter off after a couple seconds, it seemed to make the game impossible to look at

I think it looks good but I used it specifically because it made it harder to see lol. Also I don't think deaths add time to you counter besides the time it takes to watch the death cutscene. I died like 4 times to the stupid crocodile and it only took about 5 minutes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I just meant loading from the game over screen carries over your time clock, it's like MGS3 where you want to quit out to the main menu to reset it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it looks good but I used it specifically because it made it harder to see lol. Also I don't think deaths add time to you counter besides the time it takes to watch the death cutscene. I died like 4 times to the stupid crocodile and it only took about 5 minutes

Love not being able to see what im doing. Hardcore as a af am I right gamers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mysterious loyall X posted:

Love not being able to see what im doing. Hardcore as a af am I right gamers.

look i gotta spice up this standard run somehow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really only need 2 saves, I made my 3rd save before G5 because I'm still not actually sure how that fight works, I wasn't sure if the ammo I had would cut it. I just dump handgun, shotgun and magnum rounds into its mouth until the eyeball shows up then I unloaded rockets on it till it died, not sure if the beginning is just timed like Leon's tyrant fight. I'm glad I made that save right in the chess room bc that sewer loop is absolutely the hardest part of the run for me, but nailing it after 2 or 3 failures gave me ample breathing room in the labs to take out every plant en route to the level 3 card so I could just beeline to the end without burning any defensive items.

I think I'm gonna S+ Claire A for Hardcore, although I'm nervous about her final boss. And trying to get to the same typewriter before saving could suck, that's a lot of rough RPD maneuvering...drat this game is tight though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I'm not fail like Larry and I didn't continue from an autosave.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Doing another try at Claire S+ hardcore and decided to put a save before G1 instead of loving up like I did last time. Around 30 minutes which feels kind of long at this point but I did a lot of prep work like board up the entire side so I don't have to worry about dealing with it later and cleaning out any major problem zombies. Only got hit once and have a good supply of healing and ammo.

Definitely could've went faster but I don't want to run into G3 and last boss and find out I don't have enough ammo to beat them. Also think I can clear the last two areas in around an hour so I think I should be good as long I get into the sewers proper at around 90 minutes.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

out of rpd at 1:15 and nervous as hell about dying in the sewers and am considering saving at the beginning instead of at before G2.

gonna go for the king and queen pieces right at the start since that's the only real hard part.

hell yeah, made it. 1:38 second save at G2.

hosed got killed by ohko plant grab while I walking through a door after collecting last keycard.

At G3 save point at 2:04. This might happen.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 1, 2019

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

look i gotta spice up this standard run somehow

gently caress you

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Won with literally one bullet left in the spark shot and in danger status. Claire's last boss just chews up ammo and I'm happy I stored almost all the sparks in the game for it.

poo poo was stressful and I don't think I got a Leon S+ in me. Going do a playthrough and just mow down everything with the minigun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna do Leon Hardcore bc the infinite rocket launcher sounds more fun

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I wanna do Leon Hardcore

:dukedoge:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

In Training posted:

I wanna do Leon Hardcore bc the infinite rocket launcher sounds more fun

I though the same thing but I think Leon's playthrough would be a lot more difficult so I settled for the minigun. Claire's starting point in the sewers is way easier and faster and I just barely scraped by as is. I spent half my playtime in the station so there's a lot of fat to cut so maybe I'd try Leon's some time in the future if I ever get smarter about inventory space. I only got one pouch at the beginning and couldn't think of another one I could grab that was along the way.

Basically if you can get to the normal starting point of the sewers by 1:20 or so, you should have a reasonable chance of making it as long as you have enough resources. I was pretty worried I might have spent too much time backtracking to item boxes early on but I made it.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Isn't all of the pouches except two in the police station.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
this game looks seriously great and the graphics are unreal but i shant be playing as ive made a gamer pact to beat all my unbeaten games before buying any new ones (unless its a sicvk deal)

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

Isn't all of the pouches except two in the police station.

I think on hardcore they're cut in half and by the time you can get one of the two station ones, the risk/reward is too high if you're going for s+.

there's three all together I think and one is all the way at the very end and probably not worth grabbing.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 1, 2019

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat brutal. I'm gonna have to think about that for my hardcore run. I already do a terrible job of item management as it is

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Actually looks like there's 6 on standard and 4 on hardcore and the two missing ones are easy to find ones.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Any pouch that is just sitting in the open is gone in Hardcore, so I think all that's left is the one in the armory which you'll never get on S since there's no time, the 1st floor safe and the one in the kitchen that you would get 5 minutes before the end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sivek posted:

Actually looks like there's 6 on standard and 4 on hardcore and the two missing ones are easy to find ones.

Dang what's the 4th?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I dunno. I only found three but the post I read saying there was 4 might have been wrong.

Also I take back what I said about the minigun. Tried it on G3 and the fight was over in about 30 seconds. It doesn't reload so you just hold down the button and the enemy dies.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The minigun completely trivialises the game, it's how I got the no recovery items achievement. No need to recover if everything you see instantly vaporises in front of you.

Here's my Leon S+ run.

Much more chill than Claire B S+, thanks to fewer enemies and skipping the final boss (if I was on run B I would have been hosed - all I had left at the end was 9mm ammo). I also think that run B has less margin of error - you have 30 minutes less time for S rank, and if you know what you're doing there's less than 30 minutes difference between A and B.

My time should have been about 20 minutes faster, but I accidentally continued after a death instead of quitting and loading. The fact that your timer doesn't reset if you continue on hardcore is dumb - there's no autosave so there's no advantage, it's just a trap that can cost a run if you don't think about it. Luckily I had enough spare time.

In Training posted:

Any pouch that is just sitting in the open is gone in Hardcore, so I think all that's left is the one in the armory which you'll never get on S since there's no time, the 1st floor safe and the one in the kitchen that you would get 5 minutes before the end.
The armory pouch isn't that bad. You can pick up the first key easily, and the second key isn't that far from the STARS office which you'll probably be going past on your second run through the station anyway. After you get both keys it's only a couple minutes detour back to the armoury and there's extra equipment in there as well. Admittedly you need the diamond key so if you're skipping it as Leon that'll add time, but I still managed it in both my S+ runs with time to spare.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BBJoey posted:

The minigun completely trivialises the game, it's how I got the no recovery items achievement. No need to recover if everything you see instantly vaporises in front of you.

Here's my Leon S+ run.

Much more chill than Claire B S+, thanks to fewer enemies and skipping the final boss (if I was on run B I would have been hosed - all I had left at the end was 9mm ammo). I also think that run B has less margin of error - you have 30 minutes less time for S rank, and if you know what you're doing there's less than 30 minutes difference between A and B.

My time should have been about 20 minutes faster, but I accidentally continued after a death instead of quitting and loading. The fact that your timer doesn't reset if you continue on hardcore is dumb - there's no autosave so there's no advantage, it's just a trap that can cost a run if you don't think about it. Luckily I had enough spare time.

The armory pouch isn't that bad. You can pick up the first key easily, and the second key isn't that far from the STARS office which you'll probably be going past on your second run through the station anyway. After you get both keys it's only a couple minutes detour back to the armoury and there's extra equipment in there as well. Admittedly you need the diamond key so if you're skipping it as Leon that'll add time, but I still managed it in both my S+ runs with time to spare.

Yeah but that's not top speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Admittedly it seems like a 3 minute detour in the A route, the B route is more out of the way.