Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There’s also an extended sequence I would describe as supremely bloody.

Spoiler for those that have seen it: it’s the sabbath obviously, starting with Markos blowing Blanc’s neck the gently caress out and then the 5 or so minutes of exploding heads while a cool Radiohead song plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Ah crap. Well, thanks for the heads up. I thought maybe the arthouse vibe would make it a good crossover film for her. All your comments are making me psyched to see it, though!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

FrootLoopOfHenle posted:

Did anyone catch what Susie takes from the desk when she and Sara sneak into the office?

Wasn't it like a lipstick or something?

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Just got back from this, and I loved it. I adore the original and knew this was going to be a total reimagining of the basic concept, and I was OK with that.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
was gonna try to see this again this week but it's already out of the only two theaters it was in :(

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Watched this today and thought it was terrible. Tried really hard to disconnect it from the original and view it on its own regards, and it failed on those as well. I have no idea what people who loved this see in it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FrootLoopOfHenle posted:

Did anyone catch what Susie takes from the desk when she and Sara sneak into the office?

I’d like to know what that was too.

Also...

romanowski posted:

this movie kicked rear end

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Maybe because it was so early in the film and the original was still weighing heavy, but I could have sworn that when the teacher knocks on the window near the beginning it sounded a bit like the buhBOOM tabla hits from the Goblin theme.

Speaking of which, last month I watched Goblin set up for over an hour to do a live score of the 1977 film, only to have the project eat poo poo 10 minutes in. A gigantic letdown

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I posted earlier asking if I should take my gf to this, the consensus was "hell no", but we ended up going together anyway. She hated it!

I was sort of expecting to really dig it but I was just sort of lukewarm on it by the end. There are some aspects I admire, in the editing and cinematography, the Fassbinder/new German cinema vibe, the audacity, but it never really adds up to a coherent whole. And its depiction of a woman controlled space is politically much less interesting and radical than the director seems to think. Critiquing the idealization of motherhood and the way women can harm each other, the micro-fascism of groups, none of this is new territory. It feels like a first-draft outline of an idea for a remake of Suspiria, not a fully realized version of it.

I'm not normally one for "identity politics", but I think a woman should have made this. Or failing that, just get like, Rob Zombie to do it or something. Interesting that early on in the development of this remake, David Gordon Green was attached to direct. Kinda fun to imagine him doing this, and Guadagnino doing Halloween instead.

ruskpr1ck
Sep 20, 2005
Sverige?
Saw it yesterday and loved it, still feel abit uncomfortable thinking I´ve seen stuff that isn´t supposed to be seen, kinda like "Martyrs".

(And yes, I´ve been a horror enthusiast since the nineteen hundreds)

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Loved the film and I really, really liked Dakota Johnson in it. Was hella shocked when I looked up what else she's done and it turned out to be the Fifty Shades of Grey lady.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 31, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hedenius posted:

Loved the film and I really, really liked Dakota Johnson in it. Was hella shocked when I looked up what else she's done and it turned out to be the Fifty Shades of Grey lady.

I actually did not love the film, but I can't really disagree with this, Dakota Johnson was pretty great in it. Nobody else was really up to her level, which was surprising considering Swinton had such an important roles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dakota Johnson was especially good at her lovely smirks and she really threw herself into the physically demanding stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dakota Johnson was especially good at her lovely smirks and she really threw herself into the physically demanding stuff.

Yea I didn't expect her to be as convincing with the physical stuff as she was, I wonder if she already had a dancing background. She's in great shape though, I wonder how she'd do with an action movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I agree that the dancing was pretty fantastic. Interpretive dance has become one of those arts like mime where it's shorthand for stupid drama kid stuff that anyone can do and nobody actually wants to watch. But when it's full on serious with people who have real dancing training and whatnot, it can still be powerful.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Really hoping there's a soft reboot of Roar where Tippi passes the torch to Dakota.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I agree that the dancing was pretty fantastic. Interpretive dance has become one of those arts like mime where it's shorthand for stupid drama kid stuff that anyone can do and nobody actually wants to watch. But when it's full on serious with people who have real dancing training and whatnot, it can still be powerful.
The Dancing was indeed great. This first big dance scene is amazing. From the trailer I assumed the witches were going to use some spell or whatever to kill that woman. But I really wasn't prepared for how long and uncomfortable it would be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
All these people surprised at Dakota Johnson being good in a movie never watched Ben & Kate

Which, I mean, not many people did

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Well, I'm not some superfan of the original, but I still liked it better than the remake. It's ok that it went in a different direction and I even got over the fact that they skipped the first murder. There were some great parts, like the first solo dance, but as a whole I think it suffered from all the doctor, holocaust, DDR and police stuff which goes together about as well as generals gathered in their masses / just like witches at black masses. Which really sounds like was their inspiration for making this.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, I'm not some superfan of the original, but I still liked it better than the remake. It's ok that it went in a different direction and I even got over the fact that they skipped the first murder. There were some great parts, like the first solo dance, but as a whole I think it suffered from all the doctor, holocaust, DDR and police stuff which goes together about as well as generals gathered in their masses / just like witches at black masses. Which really sounds like was their inspiration for making this.

drat mega wrong about nuspiria and Black Sabbath In one post, bold to throw own this level of wrong all at once

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Just face it, the original Suspiria is superior and Dio Sabbath is best Sabbath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can't believe this movie literally about witches at black masses talking about government protests and the fallout of WWII set in the mid-70s would evoke Black Sabbath.