Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

who would've thought that Nemesis was Marvin all along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Marvin lookin like an Amnesia monster

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i dont know how many loops it took before i noticed leon's face too but jesus

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Vikar Jerome posted:

still makes my eyes pop when i see people saying this. lmao.

Even in it's day I thought 3 was kinda slight compared to 2. I dunno what they could do to build on it to make it a full $60 game but you can easily condense it into a single scenario and charge $30 for it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Republicans posted:

Even in it's day I thought 3 was kinda slight compared to 2. I dunno what they could do to build on it to make it a full $60 game but you can easily condense it into a single scenario and charge $30 for it.

If they really leaned into the story branches, it'd end up compulsively replayable. The original version has some of that already, but if you took it to its next logical conclusion with things like alternate escape routes or new areas, it'd be interesting.

The alternative I was thinking about the other day is that even in the original timeline, Jill was apparently trapped in that warehouse with Dario for the better part of three days, and that was before the Outbreak retcons. If you stretched the game out across a week or so and made it approximately as long as Resident Evil 4, with zombies, monsters, and Nemesis chasing Jill all over the city, it could be lightning in a bottle.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

:allears:
It's ridiculous to admit how much I liked seeing this.

I never got to play the original Resident Evils on PS1, why are people marking out over this?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

I never got to play the original Resident Evils on PS1, why are people marking out over this?
It's one of the only reliable things you'll ever see in an Umbrella Lab.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bango skank posted:

i dont know how many loops it took before i noticed leon's face too but jesus

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So my hot take is that the RE games have always been action games, it's just the early ones were made in the late '90s before this kind of game had a well-defined control scheme.

They're not bad for that reason, but IMO considering RE4 to be a massive departure is weird to me.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I just think more games need to let me suplex zombies so hard their heads explode

Or just make suplexing more of an option in general

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taintrunner posted:

What, you can't appreciate a good robot arm?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'd be down for a difficulty level with Hunk levels of enemy placement.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Have any of you PC Goons managed to replace Mr X's default music to DMX's song "X Gon Give It To Ya"

I feel this would add to the overall atmosphere of the game :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VoLaTiLe posted:

Have any of you PC Goons managed to replace Mr X's default music to DMX's song "X Gon Give It To Ya"

I feel this would add to the overall atmosphere of the game :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WutlOjp2JsI
:v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3f6HcvMmjQ

As promised, here is my Leon A S+ playthrough with commentary. It's like 30 minutes faster than the screenshot I posted the other day! Enjoy, I hope it's an entertaining watch.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RE7 compared to REmake 2:

I started on normal, ran out of bullets in the basement, and restarted on easy. With the slow-walking speed, the FOV that always feels low, and the blocking-system that feels really imprecise, I never felt comfortable with the moveset unlike REmake 2. I loving hate kiting in first-person.

The game has much less replay-value because of the unskippable Half-Life cutscenes and set-pieces. The game is also more linear than REmake 2 because it's broken up into 6 levels instead of 3, and the last level suuucks.

What I don't like about the Molded is that while their spawns are finite and scripted they can just appear out of nowhere. In REmake 2 you can get the jump on dormant zombies who are just faking it.

Why do they give you Burner ammo in the last-level? The thing is only worth a squirt of piss if you use it to burn bug-nests, which you don't see after the third level.

The wrecked ship is a good level with a poor introduction. They should not have spawned any Molded until after you watched the video-tape and been given a real weapon. It felt cheap to look for a fuse as a first-timer when a basic Molded could now stunlock you to death.

What makes REmake 2 a more appealing game to me is that it has a consistent ruleset that invites a greater incentive to replay. Every cutscene is skippable. You can pause gameplay (but not the clock) when you navigate a menu. All the puzzles get their own neat interactive-screen. Open-windows will spawn zombies unless boarded up.You can gauge enemy-behaviour much easier when they're not Black Semen monsters. The UI is perfect and inventory-management is much slicker. Mr. X will trigger at certain times. In short REmake 2 is better because the game isn't interrupted by the story all the time like in RE7.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

This has been posted in the thread like a dozen times and I've watched it each time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This has been posted in the thread like a dozen times and I've watched it each time.
I must have sang it every time I ran into Mr. X. It never stops being funny :allears:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Thanks. Always forget to search for "longplays".

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

RE7 compared to REmake 2:

I started on normal, ran out of bullets in the basement, and restarted on easy. With the slow-walking speed, the FOV that always feels low, and the blocking-system that feels really imprecise, I never felt comfortable with the moveset unlike REmake 2. I loving hate kiting in first-person.

The game has much less replay-value because of the unskippable Half-Life cutscenes and set-pieces. The game is also more linear than REmake 2 because it's broken up into 6 levels instead of 3, and the last level suuucks.

What I don't like about the Molded is that while their spawns are finite and scripted they can just appear out of nowhere. In REmake 2 you can get the jump on dormant zombies who are just faking it.

Why do they give you Burner ammo in the last-level? The thing is only worth a squirt of piss if you use it to burn bug-nests, which you don't see after the third level.

The wrecked ship is a good level with a poor introduction. They should not have spawned any Molded until after you watched the video-tape and been given a real weapon. It felt cheap to look for a fuse as a first-timer when a basic Molded could now stunlock you to death.

What makes REmake 2 a more appealing game to me is that it has a consistent ruleset that invites a greater incentive to replay. Every cutscene is skippable. You can pause gameplay (but not the clock) when you navigate a menu. All the puzzles get their own neat interactive-screen. Open-windows will spawn zombies unless boarded up.You can gauge enemy-behaviour much easier when they're not Black Semen monsters. The UI is perfect and inventory-management is much slicker. Mr. X will trigger at certain times. In short REmake 2 is better because the game isn't interrupted by the story all the time like in RE7.

I absolutely loved RE7 and consider it a top tier RE but this is a very fair review. The molded aren't as interesting. RE7's Baker family, atmosphere and location makes the game.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTvqsXWTlVY

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Bloody brilliant!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The lieutenant's mouth is simultaneously nightmare fuel and has me dying laughing

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

someone earlier in the thread asked what b1 is mumbling in the first boss fight, i was running around like a dingus since he kept taking weird alternate routes and disappearing and dropping down from above on me. he just says "sherry" and nothing else.

this was on claire a so maybe he says something different for leon.

I thought he also says "help meeeeee" but maybe I was just mishearing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

blackguy32 posted:

If going for a hardcore run, where do people make their saves?

Each of us seem to have some variability of where we're comfortable saving (except for that one nutter that does hardcore 0 save S+ runs).

If you mean in general, you get at least 10 ribbons, which is plenty for saving each major risk escalation. In a 3-hour run that'd be saving every 18 minutes.

If you mean for S+, I think this is the general pattern:
First save: Somewhere after G1 and before getting the gate key
Second save: Between sewer entrance and G2
Third save: Right before G3

ClaireA hardcore (w/infinity blade) miniblog:
-Knives are cool, kids. Cut off all the limbs.
-Ran around, grabbed the heart key, managed inventory, THEN saved.
-First save: 0h44m?
-Did some quick exploration to try and remember where to go for later.
-Xzibit spooked me like a wee kitten and I ran into a licker that ate my face so I took a break for a few hours.
-Came back and reloaded 5-10 times before I got a good rhythm between murder-raper's office and the garage.
-Almost let go of R.click as Solid Snake; used two fingers to pin the button down for the remainder.
-Felt absurdly manly as a badass biker bitch in a leather vest with guns. Didn't save when I entered the sewers.
-Failed a bait and run with a one-eyed-penis-monster and had to blow it up with fire rounds to get the Infinity Blade back.
-Felt so manly Claire grew a beard. Played until I unlocked the plug door.
-Second save: 1h50m

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

rabidsquid posted:

someone earlier in the thread asked what b1 is mumbling in the first boss fight, i was running around like a dingus since he kept taking weird alternate routes and disappearing and dropping down from above on me. he just says "sherry" and nothing else.

this was on claire a so maybe he says something different for leon.

Ah man, that's kind of a bummer. I guess I misheard or just made up what I thought I heard and thought some of his lines were jabbering thinking Leon was there for his virus. I can see 'Sherry' --> '(something something) from me'.
Then again you said you were playing on Claire.

Scagdead was one of the creepiest boss fights in Rev1 because of his voice
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNrQD-oXfO8&t=57s

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

oh my GOD that front flip Marvin does in the second part

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My youngest son watched the second part and decided that, like Marv, he is a gun. The body is unnecessary.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Just found out yesterday that if you stick Birkin with a knife in the Crane fight, you can get that knife back by exiting and re-entering the room. It's possible it shows up before you leave the room, but I accidentally doubled back into the boss room and it was there on the ground.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
loving hell these videos are legit more horrifying than anything in the game. If I saw that poo poo in a game I'd shoot it until it fell down and keep shooting.

Currently reinstalling all the older RE games cause it's been literally 10 years since I've played the Remake at least and I've never played Revelations 1 or 2 but own them from a Steam sale. Don't think I'll replay Zero anytime soon though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
rev2 is legit. i noticed they used claires walking/running/gun holding/aiming from rev2 in remake2 and it owns.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Dark confession time: I have zero interest in finishing Red Dead 2 because I'm completely bored with open worlds, but I'm going to continue playing the poo poo out of Mario, Smash, Ace Combat 7, and RE2make.

My most anticipated game is Doom Eternal because, 1) DOOM is the best game since DOOM, and 2) it's a hallway crawler, the best genre

And I now own Evil Within 1 and 2 after finding out they're loosely tangential to RE (they share a director and designer). If someone had told me years ago these were weirdo Japanese horror games I would have been all over them. I somehow assumed it was an American studio and never gave them a passing glance.

evil within 2 is really good, 1 is kinda slow though

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

this one is better, although i guess everyone is taking the original and just posting it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBL5NZlu5jc&hd=1

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:same:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Y'all got me terrified of using a single flame round thinking they're all needed for them photosynthesis motherfuckers later.

The flame round pickups definitely taper off as you progress, and I dunno if it was the adaptive difficulty system (of which I know nothing about) in action, but I was picking up 1 at a time once I was halfway through the sewers. I think I found one drop in the lab.

There's only 2 or 3 of the ivy buddies you definitely want to put down for good though, so just save at least 3. And don't waste them like I did -- use a gun to put them down, then set them on fire. If you just hit them with a flame round, it doesn't do enough damage to trigger that unique "successfully burnt to death" animation, and they will come back.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I can't find my favorite of those. Someone posted something about how the ambient music that lets you know when X is near is really good in the game, then the vid had the song quiet and muffled but louder as she got near the door from the 3F C4 room to the Library. Opening the door put the music at full volume with X right there. It's well done but I can't find it again.

edit: It wasn't that hard to find! https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/ak3f74/mr_x_has_great_audio_cues_to_let_you_know_if_hes/

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Basticle posted:

I thought he also says "help meeeeee" but maybe I was just mishearing.

No, you were right. I did a run in Japanese and the actor also says "help me" a few times.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zombies in Hardcore are no joke. They take like 10 shots to the knee to drop em. I’ve started to adopt the headshot-stun-then-bail strategy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
might as well get right back into rumour mill spinning

you can gently caress off capcom if you dont make 8 first person vr again.

anyway its probably bullshit.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sir Tonk posted:

evil within 2 is really good, 1 is kinda slow though

Yeah, EW1 is too on rails and loving riddled with instakills. I liked it somewhat but EW2 is way better

E: And I guess I'm the only one that's had ZERO problems with plant zombies? I just kind of "squirted" them with short flamethrower bursts and then cooked the fuckers. Maybe 50 more come out later but so far they're the easiest kills I've had in the entire game.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 31, 2019