Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hollismason posted:

Jason X is the best F13 Sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dick Miller's passing led me to his filmography, and his final movie has the greatest poster of all time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dick Miller was in so many B movies, many of them horror classics. He was always a delight and he'll be missed.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Jedit posted:

Dick Miller's passing led me to his filmography, and his final movie has the greatest poster of all time.

Holy poo poo

LesterGroans posted:

The original miniseries has a really good cast and a few decent moments, but it definitely short-changes the book.

I'm excited to see what a miniseries with less restrictions will do with it. I doubt their Randall Flagg will come close to Jamey Sheridan's though.

The Dark Tower had the right Flagg in the wrong movie (uh, technically)

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 31, 2019

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

The original miniseries has a really good cast and a few decent moments, but it definitely short-changes the book.

I'm excited to see what a miniseries with less restrictions will do with it. I doubt their Randall Flagg will come close to Jamey Sheridan's though.

How could you, you know?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

LesterGroans posted:

Like with the IT! miniseries from the '90s, it does suffer a bit due to the limitations of the era. Though I don't know if they could top how it opened with Don't Fear the Reaper playing as the camera pans over the lab. It still makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

Like with the IT! miniseries from the '90s, it does suffer a bit due to the limitations of the era. Though I don't know if they could top how it opened with Don't Fear the Reaper playing as the camera pans over the lab. It still makes the hair on my arms stand up.

Hell yeah! At age 13, that was the moment I became obsessed with an apocalypse.

I then read an 80's version of it that I got at the thrift store, so I honestly have no idea what's in the complete and uncut edition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
CBS will gently caress it up somehow, they'll cast Michael Weatherly as Flagg or something.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Iron Crowned posted:

I then read an 80's version of it that I got at the thrift store, so I honestly have no idea what's in the complete and uncut edition.

Read the uncut. Aside from some clunky little attempts to update the odd thing that end up kind of funny, it’s amazing. The original edition is literally less than half of the book.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Iron Crowned posted:

Mostly some addition of some parts which clarify others better that I can recall.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The only thing I remember from The Stand is the part where the guy walks out of the desert and dives into a fountain then stumbles inside and goes to sleep on a pool table. That sequence is burned into my memory for some reason.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think I remember an old lady sitting on a porch in the middle of a desert and a guy with a mental handicap trying to get another guy to eat a sandwich. I think those are from The Stand.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

M_Sinistrari posted:

Mostly some addition of some parts which clarify others better that I can recall.

The chapter of people who survived the outbreak dying in stupid ways is amazing, and that was totally cut from the original edition. And The Kid was cut to the point of being totally superfluous.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Deadguy2322 posted:

The chapter of people who survived the outbreak dying in stupid ways is amazing, and that was totally cut from the original edition. And The Kid was cut to the point of being totally superfluous.

This is always peak King fun. Hopefully IT: Chapter 2 includes the scene where a woman is blown to pieces while sitting on the toilet when the Derry sewer system implodes at the end.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deadguy2322 posted:

The chapter of people who survived the outbreak dying in stupid ways is amazing, and that was totally cut from the original edition.

I could have done without a three year old child dying of thirst because they survived but their parents died, thanks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I guess I need to grab a new copy of the Stand

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Jedit posted:

I could have done without a three year old child dying of thirst because they survived but their parents died, thanks.

Sure, pic the one tragedy out of the whole chapter of people doing dumb stuff and collecting dumb prizes. Killjoy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope they cast Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg again since he was the man in black in Gunslinger, but they dress him head to toe in jeans like the Flagg from the 90s version.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

I hope they cast Matthew McConaughey as Randall Flagg again since he was the man in black in Gunslinger, but they dress him head to toe in jeans like the Flagg from the 90s version.

That was always my assumption.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Between his performances in Mandy and Vikings I actually think Linus Roache could pull off Flagg pretty well.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Honestly you want to get asses in seats, get Cage for Flagg.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I just want more Mandy.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Red in a post apocalyptic wasteland is such a slam dunk imo

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Flying Zamboni posted:

Between his performances in Mandy and Vikings I actually think Linus Roache could pull off Flagg pretty well.

I 100% agree with this. He'd be perfect.

Put me in the camp that prefers the original 700 pages The Stand. I love the chapter with the random survivors dying from other non-plague reasons, but the rest of it is kinda superfluous. It's not like it's all the missing parts that were cut out of the original printing. It's all newly written content based off of notes and what King remembers was taken out of the original printing. It's basically all stuff written 20 years later, so it has an uneven quality that's a little bizarre. If/when I reread it, it's gonna be the shorter original version, and I'm kinda frustrated that you can only buy it used.

It's a lot like Lucas's "enhanced" versions of the original Star Wars trilogy. Not bad on it's own, for the most part (besides obvious flaws), but it becomes offensive because it's the only available version.

Fart City posted:

Cage would make a good Larry.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My favorite chapter was always the one about how everyone was dead except for the cats.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fart City posted:

Cage for Trashcan man.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ruddiger posted:

Cage for Trashcan man.

That would be perfect!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Stand but Nicholas Cage plays everyone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

The Stand but Nicholas Cage plays everyone.

Eventually Deep Fakes will be good enough to replace all actors in all films with Nicolas Cage, there's already youtube videos that do this .

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Y'all need to watch One Cut of the Dead NOW

Edit: Seriously, this movie is so loving good, jesus christ. I hope it gets all the attention it deserves.

Edit 2: Also don't watch the trailer or read anything about it. Just watch it. Also don't quit before you see the title card at around ~35 minutes.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 1, 2019

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
Miguel Ferrer should have really just taken the plunge and gone for Randall Flagg instead of convincing Jamey Sheridan to take the role.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I had a weird thing going on with The Stand. I struggled with reading in high school, just do to lack of attention, but I tore through Stephen Kings shoet story collections. For some reason, if I knew it was just a bunch of 20-80 page stories i could read 1000 pages of it quickly. My mom got me into SK as she was a huge fan and eventually I read quite a few of his novels, and the entirety of The Dark Tower. This whole time i told myself i eoulf read The Stand, but only if it came to me. I checked used book stores waiting, but it didn't. Last year I moved back in with my family and decided to read my moms cut version of the stand. It was lame. I finished it, but it felt like a born again Christian novel. The greasy writer kid was obviously based on a young king, and the morality of it all was stupid. Very disappointed. Would recommend probably 10 Stephen King books before it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its just like this epic story that kind of scratches the same itch that got King to write Dark Tower but in a simpler, more accessible form.

It was a favorite of mine as a kid so I can't really judge it fairly now. I concede the religious aspect of it is pretty cheesy. But I contend that its no more cheesy than any of King's other supernatural deux ex machinas and like we know King's not some crazy evangelical hiding his preaching in writing so we should just kind of take it for what it is. He wrote a typical King story of otherwordly good and evil and humans stuck in the middle taking action through shaky means. He just decided to make it God and the Devil this time.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Otherworldly good in this case being a magical negro

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fair. But that's not really a unique King thing either, is it?

I'm definitely not saying it doesn't have its problems. Its more I'm saying "What King novel doesn't?"

edit: And again, THIS is my copy of the Stand that I had to repair as a kid with the back of a school notebook when I broke the binding. So I can't be objective on this one, I admit. I'll just defend it to my death.

edit2: Oddly the back is apparently a Ring Dings box and there's a 2005 copyright on it. I can only assume that means I had to repair it a second time and I just forgot about that one.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 1, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

lol, what the hell is this?

This is amazing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

King’s an interesting guy because his career has been so long that you can kind of trace the evolution of White Guy Wokeness as it developed over decades. He’s always attempted to fold minority or underrepresented people into his stories, but he can’t shake the fact that he’s just a Maine good ol’ boy, and that can cause... issues with how he captured their voices. Like I legit believe dudes heart is in the right place, but he really doesn’t have a great record with black characters.

- a Spooky Steve aficionado

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Gejimayu posted:

I had a weird thing going on with The Stand. I struggled with reading in high school, just do to lack of attention, but I tore through Stephen Kings shoet story collections. For some reason, if I knew it was just a bunch of 20-80 page stories i could read 1000 pages of it quickly. My mom got me into SK as she was a huge fan and eventually I read quite a few of his novels, and the entirety of The Dark Tower. This whole time i told myself i eoulf read The Stand, but only if it came to me. I checked used book stores waiting, but it didn't. Last year I moved back in with my family and decided to read my moms cut version of the stand. It was lame. I finished it, but it felt like a born again Christian novel. The greasy writer kid was obviously based on a young king, and the morality of it all was stupid. Very disappointed. Would recommend probably 10 Stephen King books before it.

The original edition you read is so scared-down and defanged that you honestly haven’t read The Stand.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm not into The Stand like a lot of people, but my favorite thing about it is the short story Night Surf (in Night Shift anthology) which is just a snapshot of the world of The Stand, some teenagers hanging around the beach after the end of the world.

I like the snapshot, and imagining the rest, better than that world being realized in a long book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

STAC Goat posted:

Fair. But that's not really a unique King thing either, is it?

I'm definitely not saying it doesn't have its problems. Its more I'm saying "What King novel doesn't?"

edit: And again, THIS is my copy of the Stand that I had to repair as a kid with the back of a school notebook when I broke the binding. So I can't be objective on this one, I admit. I'll just defend it to my death.

edit2: Oddly the back is apparently a Ring Dings box and there's a 2005 copyright on it. I can only assume that means I had to repair it a second time and I just forgot about that one.

This is the most well-loved book I've ever seen