Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes, all 2018 footy games are on there.

Not sure about the extra foxfooty shows, I think most are on there but they might be a limited time archive? Like I don't see episodes of 360, but open mike are all there etc. So they might only appear in-season for the regular extra footy shows. The most recent AFL show listed is the draft, with tomorrows AFLW games listed as upcoming.

Just grab the free 14 day trial or that $5 link (offer expires monday) and try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1091216702296055808
cool.

nice and great, awesome.

Real glad we picked him up. So now we need replacements for both Docherty and for Bugg, nearing the end of pre-season.
https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1091218813062864896

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

drunkill posted:

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/1091216702296055808
cool.

nice and great, awesome.

Real glad we picked him up. So now we need replacements for both Docherty and for Bugg, nearing the end of pre-season.

If only there had been some warning signs that he’s a dickhead prior to you picking him up

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I know right.

I didn't want us to grab him when the rumours were that we would. But whatever, apparently he's a millionaire now due to instagram.

I'm just annoyed he wasted 3 months of pre-season which could have gone to someone we elevated from the VFL or something. We've got 3 list slots to fill now to replace Docherty, Pickett and Bugg. Micheal Gibbons has been training with us so I guess he's a lock-in for selection now but that's still 2 players starting behind without a proper pre-season

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don't mind me, just doing some light reading

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Poor Tomas Bugg, could play for GWS at their worst but couldn't take Carlton

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 1, 2019

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Don't forget Alex Fasolo also injuring himself getting pissed on Australia Day. Real wise mature aged picks there.

drunkill posted:

Accidentally read this as "imploding list" at first which is a more honest assessment.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Tom Bugg’s “outside interests” no doubt comprise of:

-Nose beers
-Not having to pee in a cup for ASADA

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He married(?)/shacked up with a youtuber/instagrammer model and started an influencer 'business' which apparently has 7k followers yet is 'worth' over a million dollars.

So ya know, it'll probably come to a sad end when the ATO audits him in a year or two.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Just a reminder that Adelaide have Carlton’s 1st round draft pick this year

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

They’re going to clean up having the top two picks in the draft!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

They’re going to clean up having the top two picks in the draft!

St Kilda still has their pick though :thunk:

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Is there an U18 prospectus available? Just for some light reading

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 1, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Going to the season opener at Norwood tomorrow night, getting hyped :woop:

https://twitter.com/CrowsAFLW/status/1091284477718876161

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 1, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

NTRabbit posted:

St Kilda still has their pick though :thunk:

Even if we dont go well this year we will still win about 6 or so games minimum. We play Carlton and Gold Coast twice remember.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Watched my first Aussie rules football last night. It was the 2018 final between the Magpies and the Eagles.

I think the sport is interesting. I used to play Rugby Union and I watch a bit of American Football. I'm delighted that the Aus game is completely different. The tackle rules seem to be made to eliminate the possibility of rucks. Marking, the fact that kicking is required for the highest score, and the shear size of the pitch looks to dissuade the teams from forming a tight formation to drive the ball, instead encouraging everyone to spread out in order try to set up or intercept the mark? It's a game that both flows well and has contact.

As for this match: I could see that the pies were conserving their energy in the second quarter to make a push in the endgame, and why wouldn't you after coming out of the first quarter with such a lead? The Eagles just continually spun up their machine throughout the match. With the pies explosive start in the 4th quarter, I have no idea how you stuff that up. It looks like the pies can sprint well but can't quite go the full distance. There was a moment, however, when the Eagles five-points-down scored three consecutive behinds, leading me to wonder if their luck had turned sour or if they were planning on closing the gap one point at a time.

I like how opportunistic this game seems to be. While I love American Football's short tactical sprints and Rugby's gruelling war of attrition, this game appears to be completely bonkers and almost built to encourage the players to make bold opportunistic moves.

It's a good sport to watch and I'm hopeful that my chosen team have something more to them than being my favourite animal. Is there anything I need to know about the Swans?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 1, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Opportunistic football, I like that.

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a good sport to watch and I'm hopeful that my chosen team have something more to them than being my favourite animal. Is there anything I need to know about the Swans?

The Swans have been perennial finalists for a long time, seemingly defying the notion that an aging team needs to have a few bad years to rebuild through the draft, largely through astute (and sometimes scandalous) recruiting from other teams. 2018 may have been the closest they'll get to a down year, as they underwent some generational change through the midfield, and put minutes into potentially good young players, while still making the finals.

They have one of the best and most exciting players in the league in Buddy Franklin, an indigenous key forward who shares a lot of attributes with LeBron James - he's big, strong, uncommonly fast and athletic for his size, gifted with talent most dream about, and routinely performs plays, clutch or otherwise, that make the price of entry worthwhile.

Sydney pushes a culture of everyone buying in, and is more successful than most at doing it, however they also have a touch of the Patriots and Belichick about them, as they're usually the culprit when a team is caught by fans or media bending the rules well beyond the acceptable.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 1, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

The Swans have been perennial finalists for a long time, seemingly defying the notion that an aging team needs to have a few bad years to rebuild through the draft, largely through astute (and sometimes scandalous) recruiting from other teams. 2018 may have been the closest they'll get to a down year, as they underwent some generational change through the midfield, and put minutes into potentially good young players, while still making the finals.

They have one of the best and most exciting players in the league in Buddy Franklin, an indigenous key forward who shares a lot of attributes with LeBron James - he's big, strong, uncommonly fast and athletic for his size, gifted with talent most dream about, and routinely performs plays, clutch or otherwise, that make the price of entry worthwhile.

Sydney pushes a culture of everyone buying in, and is more successful than most at doing it, however they also have a touch of the Patriots and Belichick about them, as they're usually the culprit when a team is caught by fans or media bending the rules well beyond the acceptable.

Whilst this is all true I do honestly think they are nearing the end of their ability to keep the elastic band stretching. Their exit from finals last year was extremely uncharacteristic and overall their home and away performance wasnt really exception either.

Dimestore Merlin
Jul 14, 2007

Obey your Spider-Lord

Can someone please ask Fyfe to maybe not try and kill someone and eat a suspension? Thanks.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Swans are definitely on a downward trajectory, but not Robert Walls "lol they'll win the spoon" levels.

I still wish that man had a toxx on never talking about footy again and burning all contracts for that statement last year, eat humble pie shitlord.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Also their 2nd round draft pick!

I was hoping to go to the AFLW tonight but first I tore my calf and now I have a loving DVT :( Guess I'll be watching it on TV and elevating my leg.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:woop: FOOTBALL IS BACK TONIGHT! :woop:

:siren: Don't forget to get your tips in or sign up to the goon tipping competition, cutoff time for tips for the first game tonight is in only 5 hours! :siren:

Goon tipping squad!
http://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips
pw: goons

-----

AFLW Round 1 Broadcast Guide Two games free to air nationally per week, interstate teams have local free to air broadcast in local market only. Further radio broadcasts unknown.
Note: Times in AEDT because it lists my time on the aflw website and I can't be bothered converting it to local time

Geelong Cats v Collingwood (Kardinia Park, Geelong) 6:45pm AEDT Saturday February 2 Match Centre & Livestream)

Sydney 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 5.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6pm LIVE on 7mate
Perth 3.30pm LIVE on 7mate

RADIO: ABC Grandstand (nationally on Grandstand digital), 774 ABC Melbourne, SEN, K-Rock (Geelong)

Adelaide v Western Bulldogs (Norwood Oval) 8:40pm AEDT Saturday February 2 (Match Centre & Livestream)

Sydney 8.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 8.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 8pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 7mate

North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroos (North Hobart Oval) 1:05pm AEDT Sunday Fenruary 3 (Match Centre & Livestream)

No Free To Air broadcast, AFLW website livestream or PayTV options (Foxtel, Kayo) only.

Melbourne v Fremantle (Casey Fields) 3:05pm AEDT Sunday February 3 (Match Centre & Livestream)

Perth 12pm LIVE on 7mate

Brisbane Lions v GWS Giants (Moreton Bay Central Sports Complex) 5:05pm AEDT Sunday February 3 (Match Centre & Livestream)

Sydney 5pm LIVE on 7TWO
Brisbane 4pm LIVE on 7TWO

Additionally, every game will be available to stream live via Seven’s digital platform 7Plus, Foxtel’s various streaming platforms including Foxtel Go, Foxtel Now and Kayo ($5 if you sign up before Feb 4th). Free Live Streaming will also be made available via the AFL(W?) app.

Edit: US broadcast times for those interested, it should be viewable on the aflw website without geoblocking... unsure.

edit2

drunkill fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 2, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I put my tipping faith in the chaos gods. If y'all lose to a newbie consider yourself embarrassed.

Go Swans.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nutsngum posted:

Whilst this is all true I do honestly think they are nearing the end of their ability to keep the elastic band stretching. Their exit from finals last year was extremely uncharacteristic and overall their home and away performance wasnt really exception either.

So I can't expect to see a good chance soon, but what I might see is a team that nurtures its young talent and comes back swinging a few seasons from now.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Where can I find the teams? My mate's sister might be captaining Geelong tonight and I'm dead keen to find out

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Azza Bamboo posted:

I put my tipping faith in the chaos gods. If y'all lose to a newbie consider yourself embarrassed.

Go Swans.

AFL doens't start until March 21, although there are pre-season practice matches before then (starting feb 28)

However, the Women's competition kicks off tonight, in 4 hours. So I meant tip for that :p Just change the sport in the dropdown box of the tipping page for that website.

Speaking of the AFLW again, here is a very detailed stats based writeup for the season: http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=31359

I think the competition is pretty close this year given that each team had to turnover 1/3rd of their playing list. But North do look very strong due to poaching players while Freo and GWS should do well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

Where can I find the teams? My mate's sister might be captaining Geelong tonight and I'm dead keen to find out

https://womens.afl/news/15786/teams-injury-hit-docker-finally-locked-in-for-debut

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

So I can't expect to see a good chance soon, but what I might see is a team that nurtures its young talent and comes back swinging a few seasons from now.

Accurate mostly. The question is really how good that talent is on a consistent basis. I doubt they will hit the real lows but then that might be half the issue.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Differences/rules reminder for aflw:
  • 16 a side on field instead of 18.
  • 21 in a squad instead of 22; 6 on the bench (extra bench because of the heat) + 2 emergencies
  • New rule: last touch out of bounds rule but only between the two 50m arc results in a free kick instead of a throw in.
  • New rule: 5-6-5 zones before each centre bounce (instead of the new 6-6-6 for AFL this season)
  • New rule: Throw ins are 10m in from the boundary to cut down on secondary stoppages and congestion along the boundary line.
  • 4x 15m quarters, with time on only in the last two minutes of each quarter (yes its dumb but it is slightly longer than just 15m quarters in season 1 & 2)
  • Runners and water carriers are still allowed on the ground during play due to heat and the women needing extra instructions at this time. Both to be banned from the men's competition this year.

Just over an hour to go, get your tips in.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 2, 2019

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

drunkill posted:

Differences/rules reminder for aflw:
  • 16 a side on field instead of 18.

• New rule: last touch out of bounds rule but only between the two 50m arc results in a free kick instead of a throw in.

• New rule: Throw ins are 10m in from the boundary to cut down on secondary stoppages and congestion along the boundary line.

• Runners and water carriers are still allowed on the ground during play due to heat and the women needing extra instructions at this time. Both to be banned from the men's competition this year.

I kinda think the 16 a side might be the actual solution to congestion that people have been trying to find by making the men's teams have fewer subs so they get more tired, will be interesting to see how it works out here. Not wild on the last touch out of bounds rule, but I'm glad it's not inside 50, so defenders can still spoil. I kinda like moving the throw-ins in a bit. I'm glad runners are gonna be gone from the men's comp.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[edit] ^^^^^ I thought runners were banned during play for the AFL? either way, it's really a relic of an older time. If you're hosed, get off and get water. Or have water bottles stationed on the boundary.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Watched my first Aussie rules football last night. It was the 2018 final between the Magpies and the Eagles.

I think the sport is interesting. I used to play Rugby Union and I watch a bit of American Football. I'm delighted that the Aus game is completely different. The tackle rules seem to be made to eliminate the possibility of rucks. Marking, the fact that kicking is required for the highest score, and the shear size of the pitch looks to dissuade the teams from forming a tight formation to drive the ball, instead encouraging everyone to spread out in order try to set up or intercept the mark? It's a game that both flows well and has contact.

As for this match: I could see that the pies were conserving their energy in the second quarter to make a push in the endgame, and why wouldn't you after coming out of the first quarter with such a lead? The Eagles just continually spun up their machine throughout the match. With the pies explosive start in the 4th quarter, I have no idea how you stuff that up. It looks like the pies can sprint well but can't quite go the full distance. There was a moment, however, when the Eagles five-points-down scored three consecutive behinds, leading me to wonder if their luck had turned sour or if they were planning on closing the gap one point at a time.

I like how opportunistic this game seems to be. While I love American Football's short tactical sprints and Rugby's gruelling war of attrition, this game appears to be completely bonkers and almost built to encourage the players to make bold opportunistic moves.

I'm an American who picked up the game late (though I do remember having seen part of some of the Lions' reign of terror in the early 2000s on Fox Sports World) and play it so I think I can help explain some points too.

• Tackling in NFL and rugby union has a different meaning than in footy -- in AFL it's to keep the player from passing the ball, which nets the tackler's team a turnover and possession of the ball. So that's why the hits are a good bit different.
  • You can only run so far with the ball before having to bounce it, and because there's no real advantage to running in packs (no blocking like in American football, no quick pass off down the line like in rugby, and no ruck to keep things tight), and because you can hand-pass or kick so far, it makes things open up quite a bit. Some teams have played with close handballs in the recent past -- go watch the 2016 Grand Final for the team that really mastered that offense -- but it's more like in soccer playing tight triangles versus hoofing it long. For a long time in Aussie Rules, the game plan was "hoof it long to the big fella, and if he drops it, be there to get the fumble"
  • I need to watch highlights of the Grand Final again but I remember the Eagles just suffering lack of possession in the first quarter -- footy is a chaotic game, but if you can hold and keep possession, it can get one sided. That's kind of what happened in the first quarter, and once the Eagles adjusted, they came back. It's not much to do with fitness or "saving" anything -- these guys are in as good a shape as any other top-level athletes in the world if only because the field is loving MASSIVE.
  • Nobody's ever really trying to kick to the side and get one-pointers, it's more the result of a slightly missed kick than anything. So when the Eagles got three behinds in a row, with a better kick or a little wind that could've been three goals and the game changes massively. It adds to the drama, though!

If you're interested try watching the women's games too, that shows you some real diversity in how the game is played (and also how mere mortals can play too).

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Chairchucker posted:

Not wild on the last touch out of bounds rule, but I'm glad it's not inside 50, so defenders can still spoil. I kinda like moving the throw-ins in a bit. I'm glad runners are gonna be gone from the men's comp.

It was awful when they brought it in 'halfway' through last season of aflw and it covered the whole ground. It means small forwards became useless because there was no longer any chance to goal from a groundball pickup after a throwin, the opposition just got a free kick in the pocket to clear it from their defensive 50.

That ruined some teams playstyles (eg: Vescio)

harperdc posted:

[edit] ^^^^^ I thought runners were banned during play for the AFL? either way, it's really a relic of an older time. If you're hosed, get off and get water. Or have water bottles stationed on the boundary.

Only from this upcoming season. Runners got in the way too many times last season or were purposefully blocking space so they're banned from being on the ground when the ball is in play.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Lets Go <checks notes> METEOR STRIKE!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
gently caress yeah footy in heat stroke weather.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gdi forgot to tip again lol. Yay for footy anyway.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doesn't look like they're playing last touch out of bound tbh

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Schlesische posted:

Lets Go <checks notes> METEOR STRIKE!

The election is in may brah

I'm stuck on the slowest vline to Geelong fffffgg

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So the match centre has no stats... they're only available on the aflw app.

Cheers Gil.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Anyone else able to stream the Geelong/Pies game? Its just throwing up a connection error.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This works for me

https://womens.afl/match-centre/2019/59/geel-v-coll

The 7plus live stream is also going:

https://7plus.com.au/live-tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022