Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This argument is more recursive than bandersnatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Doltos posted:

For defending someone who quit twitter over being called ugly you seem more than willing to hand out insults over the internet

Maybe you can log off about it, I won't judge.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Which of you fuckers picked sugar puffs

me. frosted flakes is a garbage cereal for garbage eaters.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

resting mitch face posted:

gently caress you

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

resting mitch face posted:

gently caress you

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Frosties for life!

Also I just realized that choose your path symbol is from White Bear as well. Is it in other episodes to? It's been awhile since I watched them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Has anyone tried anything with the phone?

I think all for one and one for all is a misdirect, those are "for" not "four" and I think thats gonna be where a lot of secrets hide.

Colin says a number in an early scene. During the acid scene he says "one for you and one for me" and then he says if you listen closely you can hear the numbers. that hint may be about the audio-easter egg, or about the phone.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The show would have been more impactful if it didn’t keep restarting cause then it felt like nothing mattered because they just wanted to get us to the final ending with the train.

When I read CYOA books as a kid I would keep track of where I read and go back. This is just them doing that for us so we don't have to restart the whole thing every time.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 4, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nevvy Z posted:

When I read CYOA books as a kid I would keep track of where I read and go back. This is just them doing that for us so we don't have to restart the whole thing every time.
On a practical level, sure, but not on a narrative one since your character and one other remembers you picking the other paths.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
While I appreciate being able to see all the endings, it also doesn’t make it feel like you get an ending to call your ending the first time through. Many branches seem to side step into early endings just to restart as well.

It just feels so different from playing a game like Detroit and looking up the alt endings later and feeling like you could have played a totally different game.

I am not sure if I liked it. But it was worth watching.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I assume there aren't any "real" endings (ie ones that don't just let you rewind and pick again) other than the one I got?

I feel like this could've done way more with Colin and the idea of him being aware of everything too (unless killing him in the acid dream closed off a bunch of stuff with him...

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I assume there aren't any "real" endings (ie ones that don't just let you rewind and pick again) other than the one I got?

I feel like this could've done way more with Colin and the idea of him being aware of everything too (unless killing him in the acid dream closed off a bunch of stuff with him...

There are two endings that give you credits, and that's it as far as I know.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
"are you having a film night?" is the most British dad line I've ever heard.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

"are you having a film night?" is the most British dad line I've ever heard.

That can't be true in a script that includes "I'm defrosting mince!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I can swear there were 3 endings with credits, but the credits were different in each. Also, if you exhaust all of your choices, it stops allowing you to go back.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Chop Dad / Bury Dad / DEFROST MINCE

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I have gone through all of the major endings, but what happens if your boss calls, asks if it will be done by that day and you choose "No"? I only ever got that path once and chose yes, and I believe he sent Colin over because he thought you were BSing him. Is it a non-choice where if you choose no he sends Colin over to help you turn it into a yes?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
He comes over himself, but I haven't seen that path either. It's also possible to have Colin's girlfriend come over if you've chosen Yes and Colin jumped out of the window.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

He comes over himself, but I haven't seen that path either. It's also possible to have Colin's girlfriend come over if you've chosen Yes and Colin jumped out of the window.

I've had him come over without ever choosing no, so I guess it's one of those choices that plays a slightly different scene and not much else changes.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sebzilla posted:

That can't be true in a script that includes "I'm defrosting mince!"

It's hosed up how you tell him he has raw mince on his hands and he just wipes it off straight onto the tea towel

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Wafflecopper posted:

It's hosed up how you tell him he has raw mince on his hands and he just wipes it off straight onto the tea towel

That scene made me think that the mum must have died recently and this was a man trying to get to grips with running a household. Not someone who has apparently being doing it for years.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Incidentally, did anyone else notice that Stefan's dad was played by the guy who played one of the probation workers on Misfits? Perfect casting.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
He's great in Line of Duty too.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Shame he left Line of Duty, I think the character had another season in him.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wafflecopper posted:

Being buried in a flowerbed and then chewed by a dog is too good for him.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Skeletome posted:

Chop Dad / Bury Dad / DEFROST MINCE

/Make plans for Nigel

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Wafflecopper posted:

This bothered me a lot. What the gently caress dude.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

pooch516 posted:

/Make plans for Nigel

=[Do what is best for him]= [Do what is not best for him]

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm still not sure how to feel about this episode. It ended up being a very linear story, even if it was told in a non-linear fashion, which is fine, but it also couldn't commit between "Stefan is delusionally paranoid and you're just watching his scattered perception of the world until he eventually snaps and starts murdering people" and "Stefan is literally a dude trapped in a CYOA story and you, the viewer, are the monster behind his suffering and responsible for his actions," but it also didn't feel like a deliberate ambiguity.

It makes the rest of the series seem really straightforward and unambiguous, which is not something I ever thought I'd say about Black Mirror.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I think the real breakthrough is the literally interactive TV. It was 100% seamless during decision making time, so much so that a couple times I forgot to choose because I was immersed in watching. This is the kind of poo poo we were promised in video games, but was only delivered in a few. Same when Blu-Ray came out. Like they said on blu ray you could watch Memento in chronological order or have branching versions of a movie, but I haven't seen any of that really developed. Some lovely video games played with the remote maybe.

Imagine what you could do with an entire series. I think they did a good job of placating the masses with the episode recap when you had to start over, I was expecting to have to re-watch the entire thing over and over. I'd be down for that because I'm a nerd, but I understand that most people wouldn't tolerate it.

So hats off to netflix for this leap forward.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

LloydDobler posted:

Some lovely video games played with the remote maybe.

I thought Detroit: Become Human was an amazing game. Go play it

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
So I just watched Black Mirror (took ~21 hours with small breaks) and then read half of this thread.

Here's some rambling.

Cookies can simulate a brain. This brain gets configured by giving it the same parameters your brain has and works from there.
If you clone a person, and don't tell them which one the clone is, they both will be sure that they are the original. Because they are everything that is and defines that person. But, they don't share a consciousness. It's a new life, in the sense that it is now in its own head. From here on the path diverges between them (except if the experiences are exactly the same).

Idea for a Black Mirror Episode - A horrible person who thinks it's fun to torture the old cookie-duplicates gets cloned 4 times (Atom-Perfect). Everyone awakes in the same room. Only one is allowed to leave, the remaining 4 get killed. Discuss who gets to leave.
Twist, the discussion will never end, thus being torture until they die of old age.

Making a cookie is creating a human that now has to live with your lovely consequences. Because even it is like you, it is not you. It's another person that you torture.

Black Museum girl did nothing wrong. She was a human, whose father has been made a torture-tamagotchi by a pervert. That's why we as a society should punish people, not the individuals who got hurt by them. Because then you forgot to pay for a snickers some day and the store manager will cut your hands off.

Also, you should definitely watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqKdEhx-dD4

I'm "glad" I did a while ago, makes White Christmas way more unpleasant.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 29, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RabbitWizard posted:

Black Museum girl did nothing wrong. She was a human, whose father has been made a torture-tamagotchi by a pervert. That's why we as a society should punish people, not the individuals who got hurt by them. Because then you forgot to pay for a snickers some day and the store manager will cut your hands off.

But by that logic museum girl did do something wrong.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, the whole point there was that the museum owner abused the letter of the law to violate its spirit for fun and profit, so the only justice left to the girl was eye-for-an-eye blood vengeance. It shouldn't be that way but in bypassing the proper avenues of law and order with this one weird trick courts hate, he implicitly invited her to do the same in turn.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Alhazred posted:

But by that logic museum girl did do something wrong.

Individuals react poorly in judgement when people close to them get hurt. That's why I'm saying she didn't. From her point of view. But yes, she did. From my point of view.

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 30, 2019

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm still not sure how to feel about this episode. It ended up being a very linear story, even if it was told in a non-linear fashion, which is fine, but it also couldn't commit between "Stefan is delusionally paranoid and you're just watching his scattered perception of the world until he eventually snaps and starts murdering people" and "Stefan is literally a dude trapped in a CYOA story and you, the viewer, are the monster behind his suffering and responsible for his actions," but it also didn't feel like a deliberate ambiguity.

It makes the rest of the series seem really straightforward and unambiguous, which is not something I ever thought I'd say about Black Mirror.

I found it to be pretty deliberate and unambiguous in the ending where [murder dad] [don't murder dad] was replaced with [murder dad with knife] [murder dad with axe] and he ends up talking on the show about how he's giving players of his game the illusion of choice but deciding what's going to happen himself. But I think that's not so much different interpretation as it is us just seeing stuff in a different sequence. It's harder to get a consistent tone across if you're keeping it interactive like this, even with the heavily controlled interactivity this episode has.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I just had a couple short 'lose' endings then ended up with the alternate timeline where he dies on train with mom. Then credits rolled and didn't give option to restart. So it sounds like I've missed most of the possible storylines and I think I'm too lazy to bother trying it again. The whole thing lasted under an hour.

I wasn't very impressed with the implementation given the above.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 1, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Griefor posted:

I found it to be pretty deliberate and unambiguous in the ending where [murder dad] [don't murder dad] was replaced with [murder dad with knife] [murder dad with axe] and he ends up talking on the show about how he's giving players of his game the illusion of choice but deciding what's going to happen himself. But I think that's not so much different interpretation as it is us just seeing stuff in a different sequence. It's harder to get a consistent tone across if you're keeping it interactive like this, even with the heavily controlled interactivity this episode has.

That's a fair interpretation. I never had that choice replaced, since I went from the first dad murder to the PAC ending where he kills his dad without any input, and then got the rabbit ending. I'll buy your version; it makes for a better story.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yesterday I showed my wife what Ecco the Dolphin was, that old Sega Genesis game with the swimming sea life, the chill music and atmosphere known for pretty aesthetics.

At least that's how I remembered it. In reality after 30 minutes of playing it became clear this challenging game was made by a sadistic mind. As a child I didn't realize but the gameplay is cruel, unfair, and punishing to an unhealthy degree. My playthrough, without the patience and persistence of a bored child, was quickly abandoned to go see if there was some kind of online support group about the world's harshest game.

Instead, I may have found some of Charlie Brooker's inspiration for Bandersnatch.

This video purports to be about the strange backstory of Ecco the Dolphin, its creator, and the disturbing events that inspired him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB1oCxcmipA

The game developer denies having taken LSD, but did "read a lot from John C. Lily". Who is John C. Lily? Why none other than the counterpart to our murderous original author of Bandersnatch. This real-life dude got a government grant to do strange research about communicating with animals and alien lifeforms. Under his authority, dolphins entered sexual relations with humans, were fed LSD while confined in tiny disgusting tanks, got their brains probed with sensors, and even committed dolphin suicide.

John C. Lily eventually lost his grant and his mind. He wrote that aliens were contacting him, manipulating all the most fine-grained events and coincidences of his life into symbolic messages for him. Sound familiar?

Now check this out.... he wrote that all of this was called ECCO (Earth Coincidence Control Office). In the game this would later be taken for the dolphin's name, following it as it explores a dark, lonely world where everything's out to kill it. I think we know now where Brooker got his idea that the Pac Man character comes from PAC (Program And Control Man).

A pretty obvious parallel found in two stories, both about a schizophrenic individual's video-game and LSD fueled descent into paranoia. Black Mirror's "Banderstach" story entails a different new game developer showing up each generation who attempted to adapt it into a game only to be driven to gruesome violence. So too did this dolphin story get picked up by an obsessed game developer who delivered a dark, unforgiving game that reused all the elements of some disturbing backstory. The government sponsored dolphin-torture of John C. Lily. The Ecco game even included the part about aliens, eldritch horrors from space who turn out to be the game's final boss and the source of all the destruction in Ecco's lonely world, responsible for the loss of Ecco's entire family as the game opens.

I think Charlie Brooker must have heard all about these Ecco the Dolphin rumors sometime before starting on filming Bandersnatch.

Ecco's creator is still around on Twitter. He admits the game's artificially high difficulty was a bit much. The standards of the time were different -- kids would get mad if the game they paid $60 for was beatable in a weekend and over too quickly. He just grossly overdid it, starting like 2% of the way through the game.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 14, 2019

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love John C. Lilly. His most famous phrase: "In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended."

He invented the sensory deprivation tank and was a huge ketamine addict until his wife got his friends to cut off his supply, and then he had a huge accident when he tried to switch to PCP and miscalculated the dose equivalence, and ended up in the hospital after wrecking his bike.

Then he gets sober and joins an occult school called Arica.

What a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Griefor posted:

But I think that's not so much different interpretation as it is us just seeing stuff in a different sequence.

From talking to friends and watching one play through, it seems like after you've played a certain length of time or rewound a certain number of times, the credits just roll next time you hit a possible ending. When I watched my friend play she didn't get any scenes or choices I didn't see, but the story ended at a different point, one which had given me a rewind. Conversely, when she reached the scene where the game ended for me (in jail, 2.5 stars) she got a rewind. Made the whole thing feel really arbitrary and pointless. Your choices don't really matter, the only thing that affects which scene it decides to roll the credits on is the order you see stuff in.