Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Who's the most incompetent sci-fi megacorp? Umbrella, Cerberus, or the Union Aerospace Corporation?

UAC by a mile.

Lead Scientist Lady: "We'll literally open a portal to hell and steal their technology and energy."

CEO: "Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Lead Scientist Lady: [body twisting and deforming as her eyes blacken and she begins to drain the blood of employees to build an altar of skulls] "There are no potential hazards."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm still finding ways to gently caress up zombies in this game and its the best.

Most recent is shooting a zombie in the neck, and watching as his head flops around barely connected to the rest of his body.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Aces High posted:

whoever it was in here that mentioned you can move multiple bookcases at once in the library, thank you very muchly, that saves a decent amount of time in the library when X is breathing down your neck

I didn't know you could get away with just moving the two to the left of the jacked bookcase into that one and slide one step right from there to make the bridge. I thought you had to move all four and I'm always in such a hurry for that part I didn't study how many are needed to make the bridge.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

So it feels like Mr. X is pretty much chasing Claire from the word go in the police station. Which is fine, but that's not gonna stop for a while?

Also I don't know if I'm sold on her SMG yet. I'm guessing it's the short controlled bursts weapon.

If you're referring to Claire 2nd run, Mr. X has different triggers. He basically hounds you through your entire stay in the RPD once you activate him.

Claire's SMG is absurdly good. A quick spray to a zombie's legs chops them right off and you can run past them all in a span of maybe 2 seconds.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's laughable that a police-station is locked-up with all these weird keys and puzzles but it crosses over into endearing and gives us colourful gameplay. It sacrifices realism but it's for the best as the life-like police-station in RE1.5 was something of a turd.
I'll always remember one very odd reason Shinji Mikami gave during an interview on why he scrapped RE1.5 at 80%; "the zombies were too fat". There were other more conventional reasons too, such as the game being boring (with the realistic RPD being a possible reason why this was the case), but "fat zombies" really stands out as something that could have been fixed pretty easily.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Dawgstar posted:

So it feels like Mr. X is pretty much chasing Claire from the word go in the police station. Which is fine, but that's not gonna stop for a while?

Also I don't know if I'm sold on her SMG yet. I'm guessing it's the short controlled bursts weapon.

Mr. X chasing Claire from Square 1 is a B-scenario-only thing. The SMG is great for kneecapping zombies so you can run past them, and it’s also good for taking out the little G-parasites in the sewers. Also—the suppressor/stock upgrade for the SMG is a must-get

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The upgraded SMG does really good work if you have the ammo for it.

If you’re talking about the B route then X will take a break after you get back the basement. He comes back again in the same spot as the A route.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

OH poo poo do not mangle a zombie's limbs so he has only one leg remaining then get close. They turn into glorified contact-damage monsters and bite your toes off.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I got through all of Claire B without finding an SMG upgrade. I knew like halfway through that I must have missed it but hell if I knew where it was.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I really want that unlimited smg but don't know which run to try to get it on or if I should go for the infinity blade first...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Aces High posted:

whoever it was in here that mentioned you can move multiple bookcases at once in the library, thank you very muchly, that saves a decent amount of time in the library when X is breathing down your neck

Whoa

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fhqwhgads posted:

I really want that unlimited smg but don't know which run to try to get it on or if I should go for the infinity blade first...

Go for infinity blade and infinite handgun first. If you are just going for the SMG, then you can use the pistol and still get a S rank.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

I got through all of Claire B without finding an SMG upgrade. I knew like halfway through that I must have missed it but hell if I knew where it was.

One of them is in the STARS Badge glass case. The other's in the Sewers safe? Maybe?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

OH poo poo do not mangle a zombie's limbs so he has only one leg remaining then get close. They turn into glorified contact-damage monsters and bite your toes off.

I was wondering about stuff like this earlier. I took off both arms on a few zombies early in my first game but took the same kind of damage. Did you notice if it was still full damage as if they took a bite of your neck?

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 1, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think shooting off arms is worse for you since zombies do full damage without triggering the defensive item animation. They get desperate when cornered

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Go for infinity blade and infinite handgun first. If you are just going for the SMG, then you can use the pistol and still get a S rank.

I do have the infinite handgun. I feel S on hardcore is doable on the PS4 but I'm not nearly good enough with a controller to go for S+ since it feels like you need to be lightning quick and accurate with your head shots to get by zombies.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm trying to do a hardcore S rank on Claire A and the fact that zambibis are now certain death when you get unlucky is bad. I'm running a risk of burning myself out by replaying parts over and over again. And I've yet to get to G2.

Hardcore zombies do two consecutive lunge speed bursts when you get close, instead of one on normal.

I died once to a bossfight on my blind normal run. The difficulty jump is big.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

McTimmy posted:

One of them is in the STARS Badge glass case. The other's in the Sewers safe? Maybe?

Oh right lol I remember now because I wanted to take the badge back from the PC but I was full up on slots and forgot to go back

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The first thing I'm going to do when I unlock the infinite SMG is to turn every zombie in the station to a dismembered torso.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SettingSun posted:

The first thing I'm going to do when I unlock the infinite SMG is to turn every zombie in the station to a dismembered torso.

Same here but infinite minigun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The run I'm looking forward to most is Assisted Infinite Rocket Launcher to get the no item box/healing achievement

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
question about the mr raccoon statues

I did Claire A and got some of them, if I do Leon A or B and get the rest will I get the knife?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

In Training posted:

The run I'm looking forward to most is Assisted Infinite Rocket Launcher to get the no item box/healing achievement

Yeah but don't you have to open the item box to get the special weapons?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

:stare:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I did Claire A and got some of them, if I do Leon A or B and get the rest will I get the knife?

Yes, they're permanently gone once you destroy them

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Mr. Raccoons are carried across all playthroughs since some are character specific. Same thing with kills.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

You do lmao. That record is probably the most fun one to do because you have to completely change how you think about the items you pick up. Also which weapons you grab because you cannot discard them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SettingSun posted:

You do lmao. That record is probably the most fun one to do because you have to completely change how you think about the items you pick up. Also which weapons you grab because you cannot discard them.

It feels like an impossible headache on anything other than assisted

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Smashed my face at third Birkin fight a bit longer, until the game took pity on me and offered me a switch to Assisted mode. Took it and finished Leon's playthrough, but it's not a great feeling. :saddowns:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Who's the most incompetent sci-fi megacorp? Umbrella, Cerberus, or the Union Aerospace Corporation?

Umbrella might be the most competent, I mean they successfully funded an entire city which serves as the biggest shell corporation ever. Presumably they could have had the Arklay incident go smoother, but nobody's perfect. Hell, they almost got away with the entire Raccoon fiasco, and even threw about a half-dozen Tyrants and the Nemesis in the mix as insurance; they just didn't count on a rookie cop, a college grad, and one former STARS member to be so supernaturally tough and innovative.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the thing about Umbrella is that their poo poo works exactly like its supposed to. It just happens to be theyre in the business of making catastrophic disasters and their business has a bad habit if leaking.

Heck, as far as the games are concered its just the US branch that ever fucks up; France has its abominations unto god poo poo together.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Attestant posted:

Smashed my face at third Birkin fight a bit longer, until the game took pity on me and offered me a switch to Assisted mode. Took it and finished Leon's playthrough, but it's not a great feeling. :saddowns:

G3 is a tough fight to learn. If you want a good time as Leon fry him with the flamethrower. It does a ton of damage.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Leon A, I'm stuck relatively early on and it's annoying. Just did three full loops of the station and can't find anything to do. Can anyone just tell me where to use this 9 volt battery from the STARS office? I have that and a ruby but those are basically the only plot items. There are a couple places I need a crank and maybe a lever for a shelf in the library but I'm coming up empty.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

So the Diamond Key just gets you into a door in the garage area with a roll of film, and into the linen room for a locker keypad key, right? I'm not forgetting a necessary door for progression, am I? If that's it, it seems totally skippable to save time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SettingSun posted:

G3 is a tough fight to learn. If you want a good time as Leon fry him with the flamethrower. It does a ton of damage.

Oh yeah I meant to bring this up before. Whoever said you only need 10 fuel units to kill a single plant guy, and 100 units to kill G3 is either full of poo poo or playing at 250fps on Assisted or something.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

Leon A, I'm stuck relatively early on and it's annoying. Just did three full loops of the station and can't find anything to do. Can anyone just tell me where to use this 9 volt battery from the STARS office? I have that and a ruby but those are basically the only plot items. There are a couple places I need a crank and maybe a lever for a shelf in the library but I'm coming up empty.

There's a room in the west wing 1F with a chained door you can open with the bolt cutters. I think it's called the Operations room?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Theres a detonator item that needs power.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jolo posted:

So the Diamond Key just gets you into a door in the garage area with a roll of film, and into the linen room for a locker keypad key, right? I'm not forgetting a necessary door for progression, am I? If that's it, it seems totally skippable to save time.

Diamond key is skippable for Leon, but not for Claire. It does lock you out of a inventory upgrade though and that's a hot commodity on Hardcore, so it may be worth the time? Not sure really.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SettingSun posted:

There's a room in the west wing 1F with a chained door you can open with the bolt cutters. I think it's called the Operations room?

This was it. Phew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In Training posted:

Oh yeah I meant to bring this up before. Whoever said you only need 10 fuel units to kill a single plant guy, and 100 units to kill G3 is either full of poo poo or playing at 250fps on Assisted or something.

I definitely used more fuel than that on PS4 but using the flamethrower there on Standard was the fastest I've beaten G3 yet.