Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
In terms of "Amount of Tyrant Bullshit you have to put up with" - is the consensus Claire's A run through or B run through? I'm currently on a B run, but will happily do an A run if it's going to make Hardcore that little bit easier (I am amazing at videogames, I did a hardcore run as Leon and just made it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All 1st runs have less Mr. X than 2nd runs regardless of character and the trigger and time he spends chasing you is only determined by 1st or 2nd run

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

This was it. Phew.

I was in this exact same spot, just could not figure out what to do. I sort of wish the chained doors had a little symbol like the keyed doors do, instead of having to hover over them to check if its locked or chained.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In Training posted:

Diamond key is skippable for Leon, but not for Claire. It does lock you out of a inventory upgrade though and that's a hot commodity on Hardcore, so it may be worth the time? Not sure really.

Yeah, I'm debating if putting off getting that key for the return trip to the PD is worth the time--skip it while Mr X is around, come back later.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

This was it. Phew.

I got stuck on that too. The map is great but I’d say chained doors needed a ! icon like everything else.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

In Training posted:

Oh yeah I meant to bring this up before. Whoever said you only need 10 fuel units to kill a single plant guy, and 100 units to kill G3 is either full of poo poo or playing at 250fps on Assisted or something.

I'm not sure it it's only 10 but my plant guys go permanently down real easy with the flamethrower and I don't use much fuel. (Normal/unassisted)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think they said if you knock the plants down with other weapons then you only need a bit to kill them (unless you also meant this).

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

It feels like an impossible headache on anything other than assisted

I did my no item box/healing run on a Leon A assisted. It's was pretty frustrating because you're in constant orange caution unless you are already a dodge master. At least I figured out the last use location for the T-bar valve. There was no way I was going to keep that in my inventory for the rest of the game. I did end up skipping the flamethrower. Probably not the best idea, but I did have a ton of extra sub weapons to give me breathing room during boss fights.

Curious if anyone did those achievements on a Clair A and what choices they made with weapon pickups. This game really does feel tight with how many ways you can play through it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

I was wondering about stuff like this earlier. I took off both arms on a few zombies early in my first game but took the same kind of damage. Did you notice if it was still full damage as if they took a bite of your neck?
Three bites and I was staggering away out from the corner like a pisshead grandad at a wedding, so yeah they still (somehow!) hurt like hell.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Who's the most incompetent sci-fi megacorp? Umbrella, Cerberus, or the Union Aerospace Corporation?
Umbrella is competent enough on the outside, but one little dose of infighting at the wrong level combined with some needlessly heavy-handed tactics to prevent Birkin squealing resulted in a whole city getting rubbed out. A big deal but nothing compared to UAC.

UAC... uh, are we talking about Classic, Doom 3 or DOOM here? Whatever let's just stick with the 90's Classic. UAC effectively controls everything corporate on Earth so they're definitely not incapable if they can reach that sort of power, but on repeated playing with some newly-discovered toys, they accidentally unleash the uncontrollable forces of hell, resulting in two moonbases being destroyed (Doom) followed by a certain planet being wiped of 99.99999% of life (Doom II). Normally that'd stop anyone from trying such risky poo poo again but not UAC! They don't learn from this incident so they go and do this again... twice (Final Doom).

Yeah UAC takes the cake here. Psychotically incompetent.

(No idea about the other one. The only Cerberus I care about is the sort that frequently smashes through my loving windows on the mansion-spanning trip just to get to the toilet.)

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Who's the most incompetent sci-fi megacorp? Umbrella, Cerberus, or the Union Aerospace Corporation?

The answer is OCP from the Robocop movies.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cerberus were a tumour to the plot of Mass Effect. In 1 they were a completely irrelevant faction that caused you grief in... two sidequests. In 2 they have a shitton of resources and power, yet they're incompetent at the same time because every single one of their pet-projects explodes. In 3 they overtake the plot as the main bad-guys and manage to sic an army against you, despite having to real military bases. People groaned when 4 teased their return, but that game poo poo itself commercially so that is the end of the matter.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

People groaned when 4 teased their return, but that game poo poo itself commercially so that is the end of the matter.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ok so whats the best way to deal with a zomboi? I mean, when you actually have to shoot a zombie. I love the game, I love that sense of urgency of ammo being actually precious and a rare resource. I hate that I have no real counter move to a zombie grab except a sub-weapon. I really hate that zombies have such a large grab hitbox and theres no recovery time after getting bit by one zombie before you get grabbed by another. They just grab you as soon as you get up and you die. I hate it. It sucks.

Love the game though. That's more me being nitpicky from playing Res 4-5 have punching zombies in the face.

Anyway, I read you can shoot the neck of a zombie and their heads dangle? I've seen shooting the knees and making a crawler. Cutting arms off so they can't grab you. Taking them out on a date and standing them up so you break their hearts.

But whats the BEST method.

:thunk:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kibayasu posted:

I think they said if you knock the plants down with other weapons then you only need a bit to kill them (unless you also meant this).

No...I aim low on them and kind of "spritz" them until they fall down (not holding the trigger) until I see the flame to catch and then wait or spritz a little more as needed. They fall down and then I broil them, still spritzing. I never counted how much fuel i'm using but I seem to have a ton left. HOWEVER...

I'm not out of the lab yet either (just got the uncooled chemical or whatever it is and did those door frequency things) so maybe tons more of those dudes show up when I go back out there to grab that object the glass smashed guy is holding.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

There's a stairway in the Sewers and I can't remember where it goes or how to go down it. In the Lower level of the sewers, there's a desk with the maintenance key on it right by a ladder down to the gross sludgey bit on the way to the king and queen. Just to the left of the desk if you're facing it, there's a stairway but I don't remember where it goes or if you can access it from the side by the key at all. I think it uses the T-Crank but maybe not from that side.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jolo posted:

There's a stairway in the Sewers and I can't remember where it goes or how to go down it. In the Lower level of the sewers, there's a desk with the maintenance key on it right by a ladder down to the gross sludgey bit on the way to the king and queen. Just to the left of the desk if you're facing it, there's a stairway but I don't remember where it goes or if you can access it from the side by the key at all. I think it uses the T-Crank but maybe not from that side.

The T-crank is used on the other side to create loop back. I don't think you ever need to use it or if opening it is actually helpful to a route.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Old Grasshopper posted:

In terms of "Amount of Tyrant Bullshit you have to put up with" - is the consensus Claire's A run through or B run through? I'm currently on a B run, but will happily do an A run if it's going to make Hardcore that little bit easier (I am amazing at videogames, I did a hardcore run as Leon and just made it!)

So wait, sorry, I haven't been paying attention to any of this.

Mr. X is no longer just a B run addition? He's now a consistent threat all through the game?

I'm most interested in though how the remake handles Birkin? Are the boss fights and his transformations still awesome? They were always my favorite thing about the game. This is like THE RE2 theme to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY5j2fzNBBY

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
For infinite ammo can I S rank A scenario or do I need both?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Agoat posted:

For infinite ammo can I S rank A scenario or do I need both?

Any single scenario, any difficulty but Assisted.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. X appears in both runs, there is no A/B just 1st Run and 2nd Run where things are gently remixed but not fundamentally different stories like previous A/B systems.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

Any single scenario, any difficulty but Assisted.

Cool. I'm gonna stream a run of it this weekend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Infinite Handgun is just any S (assisted is not rated, as I understand). Infinite Knife is shooting all the Mr. Raccoons. Infinite SMG is S Hardcore. Infinite Rocket Launcher is S+ Leon Hardcore, and Infinite Gatling Gun is S+ Claire Hardcore. You can do these on first or second runs; it doesn't matter.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Hello! I’ve been playing REmake 1 and I’ve got to the bit where the giant spiders start appearing (in the “residence” area). How much of the game are they in? I can handle them in very small doses and I’m enjoying the rest of the game but if they’re in a lot of this I might just watch an LP instead of actually playing it.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm most interested in though how the remake handles Birkin? Are the boss fights and his transformations still awesome? They were always my favorite thing about the game. This is like THE RE2 theme to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY5j2fzNBBY

Yeah they're still pretty awesome and gross looking. You fight him 4 times as Claire and 3 times as Leon in the first run, whoever you play for the second run has to fight the giant blob form on the train as well.

The only thing I think they changed for the worst regarding him is you don't get to see him getting wrecked by the soldiers, injecting himself and then hunting them down from his POV with some cool exciting music all in one cutscene. They cut it up, truncate it and split it between a couple video tapes you find on dead soldiers and a flashback Annette has. The voice actor for Birkin in his brief speaking bit sounds a bit weird as well.

Speaking of, wonder if the playable soldier in the ghost survivors DLC is the one who takes the shot at him in the lab?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

cargohills posted:

Hello! I’ve been playing REmake 1 and I’ve got to the bit where the giant spiders start appearing (in the “residence” area). How much of the game are they in? I can handle them in very small doses and I’m enjoying the rest of the game but if they’re in a lot of this I might just watch an LP instead of actually playing it.

If I remember right they're in the residence and in a small part of the caves. There is a very big spider in the caves though (the "Black Tiger") so be careful.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think the boss fights are some of the worst things about the game. A lot of them are such bullet sponges and I think the best one is G2.

Also, if you are trying to unlock stuff, the 1st run is way easier than the 2nd run if simply because you don't have to juggle two different handguns. Why they did that with the weapons, I do not know.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SettingSun posted:

If I remember right they're in the residence and in a small part of the caves. There is a very big spider in the caves though (the "Black Tiger") so be careful.

...how big is the big one? The only one I’ve seen so far is bigger than a door.

E: Also, how much do they appear in the other realistic looking games? I know they’ve been cut from REmake 2 (thank you Capcom) and there’s some normal sized ones in 7 (which are fine so long as I’m not in VR).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

cargohills posted:

...how big is the big one? The only one I’ve seen so far is bigger than a door.

It's 2-3 times the size of the normal ones. Not much tougher though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm one of those weirdos who likes every mainline RE game (spinoffs not so much). Even 6, which I like a lot. Even 0 which is probably my least favorite is still a blast for me. So I'm in this weird position where I want RE 8 to follow in the same footsteps as REmake 2 and even 7 because I prefer that style of gameplay but still want to see a game starring Jake and Joe going full balls to the wall action but there's no way either of them could carry a game that isn't action focused.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy 8 and the theoretical REmake 3 when they come out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah they're still pretty awesome and gross looking. You fight him 4 times as Claire and 3 times as Leon in the first run, whoever you play for the second run has to fight the giant blob form on the train as well.

The only thing I think they changed for the worst regarding him is you don't get to see him getting wrecked by the soldiers, injecting himself and then hunting them down from his POV with some cool exciting music all in one cutscene. They cut it up, truncate it and split it between a couple video tapes you find on dead soldiers and a flashback Annette has. The voice actor for Birkin in his brief speaking bit sounds a bit weird as well.

Speaking of, wonder if the playable soldier in the ghost survivors DLC is the one who takes the shot at him in the lab?

I figured for sure that scenario is gonna be hunting down human Birkin.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Is RE0 really considered mainline? I know its got a number and everything but I always thought it was a side thing and as such have never played it (also because I heard its bad)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spider Foes appear only in RE1 (all versions), RE2 original, Re0, Darkside Chronicles, and Probably those poo poo lightgun games I dont remember

Regular spiders definitely appear in 4 as background detail and you can knife them.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

marshmallow creep posted:

The T-crank is used on the other side to create loop back. I don't think you ever need to use it or if opening it is actually helpful to a route.

That's what it is. It looks like you have the option once you grab the T-Crank and grab the Rook piece, your options from the Rook piece are:

- Turn around, go back down the Workroom Elevator you just came up and then West along the Lower Walkway towards the Queen and King
- Continue past the Worker's Break Room, down the stairs you first came in and then West along the Upper walkway until the crank door stairway towards the Queen and King

I'm not sure which is faster or less dangerous.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Barudak posted:

Spider Foes appear only in RE1 (all versions), RE2 original, Darkside Chronicles, and Probably those poo poo lightgun games I dont remember

Regular spiders definitely appear in 4 as background detail and you can knife them.

Are they in 0?

E: never mind just noticed you edited your post.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

Are they in 0?

E: never mind just noticed you edited your post.

Yeah I forgot to mention theyre in 0, which also has a giant scorpion.

RE0 is really not good and is completely skippable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Is RE0 really considered mainline? I know its got a number and everything but I always thought it was a side thing and as such have never played it (also because I heard its bad)

RE0 is sweet I think. The no item box thing is weird but I liked the dual character puzzle design and it's got some fun bosses.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

cargohills posted:

One room in the Residence, one room in the Mansion, and one final time Underground (with a "boss"). Very few, really.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

In Training posted:

I figured for sure that scenario is gonna be hunting down human Birkin.

On second thought I guess there wouldn't be any enemies around at that point right? Since Birkin getting shot presumably happened when poo poo was still slightly normal. Maybe it's set after he's gone on a rampage and the dude you're playing as wakes up just like Hunk did. Then you play through either part of the lab that's already in the game or a new part. Then he gets killed since I bet each Ghost Survivor protag dies at story ending We know that for the mayors daughter and can be pretty sure for Kendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I am a huge fan of the remake of RE1 - should I check out RE0? I've heard such mixed things about it. I think I played through the first bit on a train one time back on the GameCube and killed a Giant Scorpion thing and thought it was OK. It's now on Steam and looks like it has potential.