Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I dropped the garbage can on my foot this morning. It hurt then. It hurts more now, 8 hours later. Pretty sure I broke my toe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
I got fired today from a job I’d been at for 4 years. It’s my first time being fired (it was for attendance reasons — I have severe depression and didn’t utilize the proper resources that would have protected me from repercussions).

It’s not that I loved the job, but the benefits were great, it was easy work for what I got paid, and I honestly loved my team. They were my family. It’s going to be harder to keep in touch with all of them now that I won’t see them every day and we won’t have the job tying us together.

In a few days I know I’ll be able to look at this as a hidden opportunity to finally start going after a better job, or something I’m actually passionate about, but right now I just want to curl up into a ball, marathon The Great British Bake-Off and feel sorry for myself. Is that OK?

Arstavial
Aug 16, 2005

tallest crocodile posted:

I got fired today from a job I’d been at for 4 years. It’s my first time being fired (it was for attendance reasons — I have severe depression and didn’t utilize the proper resources that would have protected me from repercussions).

It’s not that I loved the job, but the benefits were great, it was easy work for what I got paid, and I honestly loved my team. They were my family. It’s going to be harder to keep in touch with all of them now that I won’t see them every day and we won’t have the job tying us together.

In a few days I know I’ll be able to look at this as a hidden opportunity to finally start going after a better job, or something I’m actually passionate about, but right now I just want to curl up into a ball, marathon The Great British Bake-Off and feel sorry for myself. Is that OK?

Yes. Everyone deserves to have a pity party sometimes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yes, it's perfectly okay to take a little time for yourself.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It's my birthday. What better way to celebrate but to get rearened on the highway and get my car totaled?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I left my goddamn car key in another city. No idea where. I got a new bag and put it in a place I thought was secure. FML

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's my birthday. What better way to celebrate but to get rearened on the highway and get my car totaled?

At least it wasn't your deathday

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got home from work to find mom with a 100 degree fever, in a lot of pain, and brought her to the emergency room, and we've been sitting here for like 3 hours with no progress waiting, and don't even know what's going on yet. Good poo poo

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Got home from work to find mom with a 100 degree fever, in a lot of pain, and brought her to the emergency room, and we've been sitting here for like 3 hours with no progress waiting, and don't even know what's going on yet. Good poo poo

Best wishes to you and your mother. Keep us posted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Still here, emergency room is so full they've put her on a bed in a "hall pod", four beds lined up in a hallway. All the rooms are full. She's aware and all, but in a lot of pain and they don't know what's up. No torso/head pain, all limbs pain, can barely stand up, grip anything, or move her legs while laying down. Other than that she's "fine", 99.5 degree temp, but her kidney has been hurting, which...I hope is just a coincidence.

They've taken blood and other samples and that's about goddamn it

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Regarding my post in the awesome day thread, my coworkers completely dismissed all the work I put into reducing theft in my store and just kept making excuse after excuse instead of just accepting I did something good for them while struggling with my illness. Glad to know how useless they really think I am. I don't understand. I'm trying so hard to keep up and do what I can to do a good job and no one cares. It hurts. A lot.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

Regarding my post in the awesome day thread, my coworkers completely dismissed all the work I put into reducing theft in my store and just kept making excuse after excuse instead of just accepting I did something good for them while struggling with my illness. Glad to know how useless they really think I am. I don't understand. I'm trying so hard to keep up and do what I can to do a good job and no one cares. It hurts. A lot.

Never do more than the absolute bare minimum, my dude.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I know, but I have freedom to do whatever I want and usually work alone with no supervisor ever. I've been in charge of this store for 5 years now, unofficially, they refuse to give me a "lead" title because I've had to scale it back and ended up calling in sick a few times due to my illness and now they're like "yeah Princess sucks and isn't capable of working independently".

I'll be the one to decide what I'm capable of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Finally home with mom. Her pain is down from a 9 out of 10 (she literally could not move her legs herself due to the pain, I had to move her around whenever she needed to shift positions which was often) to 6 out of 10 with powerful painkillers, her white blood cell count was nearly double what it should be, and she had an infection they could not determine so was likely viral. They eventually prescribed prednisone and some other stuff and sent her home, after being in the hallway of the ER for like 13 hours

I got maybe an hour of sleep total there, right after a ten hour work day I took her straight to the ER so it's been a looooooong day, in fact shortly after getting home my alarm went off to go in to work TONIGHT and yeah gently caress that

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dear god, man, hang in there. The both of you.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm feeling little anxious because I'm trying something I haven't done in years - I've currently got a cake in the oven, and am really hoping it comes out well. It's gonna be a tense 10 minutes.

When I tried to cut the cake horizontally the whole thing just fell to pieces. :( May have been too wet or something, or too dry.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Jan 12, 2019

Cheshire Puss
Sep 14, 2007

Only the insane equate pain with success.
In my experience poorly presented cake tastes just like regular cake so you're probably okay unless you're serving to the queen or whatever.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a few years, I've been in a long distance relationship with a man in Germany. We love each other very much and are saving money to see each other by the end of the year, but his internet connection has been spotty recently so we haven't been able to talk much lately. It sucks that an internet connection problem can basically cut us off from each other totally, and its a very lonely feeling. Also missing the physical intimacy that comes with relationships, so i dream a lot of being with him but then wake up alone and it makes me depressed for the day. Won't have to always be this way, but for now its really lovely and lonely.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I pooped so hard I gave myself a headache.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.

Picnic Princess posted:

I know, but I have freedom to do whatever I want and usually work alone with no supervisor ever. I've been in charge of this store for 5 years now, unofficially, they refuse to give me a "lead" title because I've had to scale it back and ended up calling in sick a few times due to my illness and now they're like "yeah Princess sucks and isn't capable of working independently".

I'll be the one to decide what I'm capable of.

Hang in there and don’t let them decide your worth for you. Easier said than done, I know. At the job I recently was fired from, I spent 1 year as a sales person and 3 years as a...idk what you’d call it, back-end inventory? Receiving? Basically I did everything that WASN’T entry-level talk-to-customer-sell-them-thing. Organizing repairs, auditing inventory, etc etc etc. I was one of like 6 people who knew how to do this poo poo.

That 1 year as a salesperson with little responsibility, I was treated so much better than I was once I had been there a while and started actually knowing how to do more than the managers.

Managers don’t like it when their underlings appear more proficient than they are.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My phone isn't turning on properly. It gets stuck at the 3 splash screen, then just turns off. Hoping it's only a problem with the battery, gonna see the phone shop about it later.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

BioEnchanted posted:

My phone isn't turning on properly. It gets stuck at the 3 splash screen, then just turns off. Hoping it's only a problem with the battery, gonna see the phone shop about it later.

My kid threw a snowball at me and it went right inside the USB port on my phone and i just now 18 hours later got it dried out and working

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

My kid threw a snowball at me and it went right inside the USB port on my phone and i just now 18 hours later got it dried out and working

Turns out it's stuck in a boot loop. I''ll have to take a train 2 towns away to my nearest Samsung shop to get it factory reset. Glad today's a day off for me due to a doctor's appointment (it confirmed my suspicions that I have mild Tourette's)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I've been dating a woman for the last month or so. Felt it was going really well. She is intelligent and funny and we had lots of long, deep conversations.

She of course texted me saying she felt no spark and doesn't want to see me anymore.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

tallest crocodile posted:

Managers don’t like it when their underlings appear more proficient than they are.

My boss is pissed off at me because he sat in a meeting with our corporate supervisor and said he doesn't feel comfortable coming up with a training regimen for new hires or even training them to start with.

Well I took some old training outlines and started compiling them into structured training modules. Looks bad when the guy with 16 years of experience says he couldn't come up with training, and the guy with 2.5 years starts making it.

As for why my day sucks? Well it's more like a week but my grandpa died last week, and there's a wealth of family drama surrounding it and I'm still emotionally exhausted from dealing with this same family drama in the wake of my dad's death a few years ago

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Guess who's got two thumbs and just discovered she's allergic to raspberries? That's right, it's thiiiiiiis gal! :shepicide:

Luckily I'm getting the "my skin's breaking out into hives and everything's itchy" kind of allergic reaction, not the "literally cannot breathe and has to go to the ER" kind, but still.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm fuckin pissed right now.

Yesterday I had an appointment with the PA and it was a pretty standard appointment, just a thing to discuss my medication, and they decided to dump on me that they believe I'm a lost cause and that I can't be helped by them and that I need to seek to help somewhere else despite the fact that my medication has been fine, I've been doing fine medically, it has jsut been a matter of getting things on the therapy side done.

But nope, because the medication hasn't been a cureall and has simply gotten me to a state of "just existing, things are okay, sometimes I wish I didn't exist and I have lovely self-esteem issues out the rear end but that's what the therapy is for" they're gonna discharge me and then, on top of that, with the knowledge they have from their documents, they knew (or at least should have known) that what they were doing was going to cause me to have a panic attack, and now the panic attack that they caused is being used against me as more evidence on why they need to dump me.

It's just unfair. I was doing well. I was doing fine. Then they just made poo poo up about how I've been refusing to attend a program they claim they've been offering the past several appointments I've had with them when it's in my goddamned notes that it is a program that my therapist does not think would be helpful to me because the program does a lot of things that would trigger a panic attack and I'm just

They're getting rid of me, trying to shove me on another branch, and I'm loving pissed and nobody seems to have the power to be able to do anything beyond saying "man this is hosed up huh" because it's what the doctor is gonna do anyway. The new doctor who I haven't even gotten to see.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wake up, pop on youtube, and :smith: :smith: :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x5XRQ07sjU&hd=1

it's not as bad as it could be, but gently caress, really? stop picking on simone, life. :(

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm sick again. Pretty sure its the same loving bug. gently caress this goddamn hospital.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

wake up, pop on youtube, and :smith: :smith: :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x5XRQ07sjU&hd=1

it's not as bad as it could be, but gently caress, really? stop picking on simone, life. :(

God DAMMIT

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My Lyft driver forgot to mark me as dropped off, so I had to go through a whole rigamarole to get the ride ended and charged for what I was actually should've been. It was resolved, but man it was frustrating.

I really hope the driver doesn't get in trouble for this; she's always been good to me and I don't believe she did it to screw me over. I could see her in the apps map and it looked to me like she was trying to tell the app I was dropped off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and to cap off yesterday starting off lovely with simone's brain tumor returning, I also got this lovely message from ebay about changes to shipping costs right before the day ended

quote:

Dear titanicbot,

UPS®, FedEx®, and USPS® announced their 2019 rate increases and the additional costs will affect your eBay business.

UPS rate changes went into effect December 26, 2018. They have increased an average of 4.9% across most services.

FedEx Express and FedEx Ground parcel movements increased by approximately 4.9% January 7, 2019.

USPS will be making the following changes January 27, 2019.

• USPS First Class packages are increasing an average of 11.9%*
◦ Note that USPS First Class Package Service pricing will change from a flat rate per ounce to zone-based pricing per ounce
• USPS Priority Mail increases an average of 5.9%*.
• Changes in weight distribution of packages will affect pricing on USPS packages starting in June.

The eBay shipping calculator and eBay labels are updating as rate changes take effect. Make sure you adjust shipping prices on your active listings accordingly.

• If you offer free shipping, review your listings to see if your prices can absorb the extra costs, or if you should make adjustments.
• If you use calculated shipping, review your listings for accurate package weights and measurements. Your listings will show the new rates automatically, once they take effect.
• If you charge a flat-rate for shipping, review your listings to see if your flat rate covers the price increases. You may have to raise your flat-rate charges to maintain your margins.

Click on each of the links below for the carriers you use to learn more about rate changes.

And remember: using eBay labels saves you up to 24%* on Priority Mail® and up to 36%* on FedEx services. Plus, tracking is uploaded automatically.

2019 USPS (United States Postal Service ) NEW RATES AND CHANGES
Effective June 23, USPS is also planning to change the way they calculate dimension weight on Parcel Select Ground, Priority Mail, and Priority Mail Express. They currently apply dimensional weight (DIM Weight) pricing on medium to large packages with lower weights to take into consideration the amount of space taken up on a truck rather than a package’s physical weight. As pricing changes take effect, the rate charged will be the higher cost of either Dim Weight or physical weight of a package. Learn more about dimension weight here.

I sell almost everything with free shipping via USPS and this is going to super suck. Like yes I only have to increase the total price on my listings a bit to adjust for it, but that's still going to be a big deterrent for buyers, and a whopping 12% increase in First Class shipping costs(what many of my items qualify for) as well as the change from generalized cost per ounce to cost based on zone will likely mean instead of the heaviest first class packages costing 4ish dollars to send out, it'll probably be more like 6-7 since there's a pretty decent chunk of people who buy from me who are on the west coast, and I'm on the east.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I ran over a pothole last Friday that, because it was full of snow, I didn't see. It completely ruined my tire...flat, hole big enough that I could hear the air whistling out of it as I tried to fill it back up enough to limp home.

Finally got around to going to a tire place today, and they tell me that:
1) The tire is too damaged on the "shoulder" so it can't be fixed, needs a new tire.
2) That tire make/model is not made anymore, the newer version is sort of close, but not close enough so they really want to order two to replace both front tires. Naturally, they don't have them in stock, and only have 1 size winter tire for my car in stock but it's so different I'd have to get all 4 replaced. I'm generally wondering if I need two.
3) The city, who sometimes will pay for your tire repair if it's because of a pot hole, can't give me any answer if ANY of these will be reimbursed because they just give it to the insurance. So now I play The Waiting Game to see if I can get any money back.

So right now they have the estimate for 2 tires and I just have to wait to see what they say, I'm assuming they'll be cheap fucks and say that I absolutely cannot get two new tires, and in fact, they'll only approve 1 used tire, or some BS like that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

It's -25C and my furnace stopped working. :toot:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Build a small controlled fire out of old furniture in the corner of your house. It's a safe and practical way to keep warm in the winter!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

local scumbag found not guilty
http://connecticut.news12.com/story/39904486/fairfield-teacher-accused-of-exposing-himself-found-not-guilty

Picnic Princess posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression from the post your picture thread was that you're 150% Canadian and unable to feel cold.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

GWBBQ posted:

local scumbag found not guilty
http://connecticut.news12.com/story/39904486/fairfield-teacher-accused-of-exposing-himself-found-not-guilty

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression from the post your picture thread was that you're 150% Canadian and unable to feel cold.

I'm more worried about the pipes freezing and bursting than myself, to be honest. It's 12C inside with the space heater going and I feel fine. My husband got home from work and he knows how to fix it so it's running again. I ought to learn how to do it myself.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

From experience, that's a good skill to have. I learned the hard way how to fix ours as it aged and ended up replacing it myself because lol at the idea of having an "emergency fund" for anything, nevermind $10000 for a new furnace, especially when you're supporting family with serious illness.

Regarding that "family member with serious illness" bit, I'll quote my first post in this thread from 2017

GWBBQ posted:

Unless there's some unheard-of benign tumor that spreads to other organs, my mom has Stage IV pancreatic cancer. Yes, that is a mix of denial and hope that I'm expressing.
Her cancer is in remission and her doctors have her on what they expect to be one last round of chemo before surgery.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm so loving tired, y'all.

My mum had surgery for cancer. Everything went fine, she's ok, and doctors expect her to make a full recovery. But for a while she can't do any physical work.

This means that for the past two weeks I've been taking care of her, cleaning her house, cooking, and doing housework, on top of doing the same for my house, and work. My dad's no help since he's absolutely useless when it comes to cleaning or cooking or the like. My sister would help but she lives a thousand miles away. The only thing that relaxes me is running and that's also tiring. Plus I'm transitioning and it's sapping my strength, so there's that.

I don't mean to complain, I'm happy to do it and I do it willingly. I'm just... Venting a bit, because I'm just so tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
how much longer will she be recovering? another two weeks? if it's something like that, just do what I do, view it as a percentage that's already done. two weeks down, two weeks to go, you're already halfway there! :haw:

...it makes going into work on mondays real difficult though. :v: