Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I don't know what I'd do with such power. Take a week off from work a binge torrents?

Speeds like that will probably be necessary in the next few years when 4k HDR Atmos streaming happens, and as we get more of our entertainment from the onlines.

But jesus, imagine seeing that speed 20 years ago on Napster...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

These days even “bad” internet will download 50gigs of data faster than the postal service gets you a package.

Unless you are talking so bad that you still have a 512k DSL line from 1999. Anything below 25mbps can’t even be referred to as broadband anymore.

Yeah, current FCC isn’t exactly enforcing this poo poo (gently caress Ajit Pai), and with net neutrality dead it isn’t changing anytime soon.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It's a small market, but people forget there's a world of stuff going on away from civilization, where people still need poo poo to kill time other than masturbate. I spend several months a year on a research vessel, for example, and though we do have a pretty solid internet connection, it's $20k/mo for a speed that would be considered far below average on shore, shared between like 60 people. Ships that aren't government research vessels mostly don't even have that. And remote mining/drilling operations on land. Forward military installations too, probably. But we get by on physical media out in these places. And when that's not available, pirating up while you're back in the world.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

It's a small market, but people forget there's a world of stuff going on away from civilization, where people still need poo poo to kill time other than masturbate. I spend several months a year on a research vessel, for example, and though we do have a pretty solid internet connection, it's $20k/mo for a speed that would be considered far below average on shore, shared between like 60 people. Ships that aren't government research vessels mostly don't even have that. And remote mining/drilling operations on land. Forward military installations too, probably. But we get by on physical media out in these places. And when that's not available, pirating up while you're back in the world.

Good argument for high speed global wifi.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Biplane posted:

Good argument for high speed global wifi.

Canada would still be getting throttled and charged double the rest of the planet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Picnic Princess posted:

Canada would still be getting throttled and charged double the rest of the planet.

It’s what we deserve.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, current FCC isn’t exactly enforcing this poo poo (gently caress Ajit Pai), and with net neutrality dead it isn’t changing anytime soon.

It isn't dead, it's merely resting...

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

The question is also cum

Cum?
Cum.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cum cum Cum cum cum cum Cum cum.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
...nuts?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
There are multiple spaced based internet networks in various planning stages right now. Not sure if any will make it to the operational stage, but they are promising gb speeds. Virgin Mobile and SpaceX are both working on their own versions.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Mercury Ballistic posted:

There are multiple spaced based internet networks in various planning stages right now. Not sure if any will make it to the operational stage, but they are promising gb speeds. Virgin Mobile and SpaceX are both working on their own versions.

more important is that they're trying for pings that are not good enough for high frequency trading but good enough for video games

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Biplane posted:

Cum cum Cum cum cum cum Cum cum.

...and Spam.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

I thought it was only 20 bucks a month until I realized that K probably wasn't a typo.

As for forward military bases, it depends on the specific base. Latency is through the roof if you do get internet, from what my friends who've deployed tell me.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:cumpolice:

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

A bit late since Lazytown the show is basically already shuttered, but since we're on cum talk, story time!

I worked at Lazytown on season 3 and 4. I didn't know in my first two weeks that the actor who plays sportacus was also the owner. He came in to help direct the scene where he eats a poisoned apple from robby rotten that was filled with sugar syrup. They shot a plastic apple with bite out of it falling, but needed me to add "sugar goo" in a 30 frame clip (it's in the final episode). Magnús came to me and was describing how it should be thick, viscus, and honey colored, but "it should not look like cum". I couldn't help myself and blurted out, "well you came to the right person, because I'm a cum expert"

I could hear the gasp of my female german boss from across the room and every other person in the VFX room stopped what they were doing. The only sound was my poo poo eating grin getting bigger. He just replied "right, okay" and left.

I think it looks like honey, mission accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlSkG5eqQOw

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Mods please change his name to Cum Expert.

Thank you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

poopinmymouth posted:

A bit late since Lazytown the show is basically already shuttered, but since we're on cum talk, story time!

I worked at Lazytown on season 3 and 4. I didn't know in my first two weeks that the actor who plays sportacus was also the owner. He came in to help direct the scene where he eats a poisoned apple from robby rotten that was filled with sugar syrup. They shot a plastic apple with bite out of it falling, but needed me to add "sugar goo" in a 30 frame clip (it's in the final episode). Magnús came to me and was describing how it should be thick, viscus, and honey colored, but "it should not look like cum". I couldn't help myself and blurted out, "well you came to the right person, because I'm a cum expert"

I could hear the gasp of my female german boss from across the room and every other person in the VFX room stopped what they were doing. The only sound was my poo poo eating grin getting bigger. He just replied "right, okay" and left.

I think it looks like honey, mission accomplished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlSkG5eqQOw

Beautiful. Thank you for your service.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I didnt think it was possible to animate an apple post creampie, but by god, Goons found a way.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Target isn't circling the drain, but they are in drain-circling retail and this is incredibly dumb:

quote:

In a two-month investigation, that began with a concern from a viewer, KARE 11 found Target’s app changes its prices on certain items depending on if you are inside or outside of the store.

For instance, Target’s app price for a particular Samsung 55-inch Smart TV was $499.99, but when we pulled into the parking lot of the Minnetonka store that price suddenly increased to $599.99 on the app.

To test this further, we selected 10 products on the Target app at random, ranging from toys to bottled water to vacuum cleaners. We found that when we entered the store, four of the 10 products jumped up in price on the app.

An Apple Watch band went up $2, a Shark vacuum went up $40, a Graco child car seat jumped $72 and a Dyson vacuum shot up $148 on the app while inside the store.

Our list of 10 items was a total of $262 cheaper in the back of the parking lot on the app with no indication that the prices had changed.

In an emailed statement from Target, the company said "The Target app shows in-store pricing while in store, and online pricing while on the go. If a guest finds any item for a lower price across any of the ways they can shop Target, we'll price match it."

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

Target isn't circling the drain, but they are in drain-circling retail and this is incredibly dumb:

Imagine all the extra programming that went in to loving over the customer.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

Look, relax. We’ll price-match our own prices, you just have to ask.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trabant posted:

That’s impressively terrible

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trabant posted:

Lol this is hilarious.

You know I just had a thought... wouldn’t this be skirting the consumer protection laws? Like when you take something to the register and it rings up for a different price vs what’s displayed?

Seems like they are playing a dangerous game here.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

That’s impressively terrible

Target isn't even the only store doing it.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I can totally see the logic behind it. A customer comes into the store to purchase something they saw online for a certain price. It's more expensive in the store and the person ringing it up says they can price match it to the online price if the customer can show them the lower price. Customer pulls up the item on the app and oops it's gone up! Guess that promotion must have ended.

Also an old story from when I worked at Sears. When the drain circling started really accelerating they started telling the managers not to price match online prices at the register. We had to go to one of the online kiosks and order the item to be picked up in store from the kiosk. It took twice as long and most customers hated it but I guess managers were tracked based on how many price adjustments they did and also how many online kiosk orders they got.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

dude789 posted:

I can totally see the logic behind it. A customer comes into the store to purchase something they saw online for a certain price. It's more expensive in the store and the person ringing it up says they can price match it to the online price if the customer can show them the lower price. Customer pulls up the item on the app and oops it's gone up! Guess that promotion must have ended.

Also an old story from when I worked at Sears. When the drain circling started really accelerating they started telling the managers not to price match online prices at the register. We had to go to one of the online kiosks and order the item to be picked up in store from the kiosk. It took twice as long and most customers hated it but I guess managers were tracked based on how many price adjustments they did and also how many online kiosk orders they got.

Wow, I hadn’t thought of that. You literally can’t price match in the Target store because they’re changing the prices.

That’s not going to blow up in their faces at all.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Maybe they will argue that online has less overhead and the DC is the supplier for the store, selling it to the store at the online price but the store marks it up to cover margins.

Somehow it will be that store's fault.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just have to disable location services and don't log into the store wifi

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Just have to disable location services and don't log into the store wifi

....and then you always get the highest prices by default. no problem!

GeekTheMage
May 20, 2001

Last Chance posted:

....and then you always get the highest prices by default. no problem!

Nobody was complaining about seeing the online price drop after entering the store.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
That exact thing happened to me at Wal Mart like 2 weeks ago. I was buying the Google WiFi kit, found it online for some price, drove over and in store it was $20 more. I pointed this out and they had me walk over to online sales and then got the price as posted online.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
On one hand it would seem to make some sense - customer does an 'order online, pick-up in store' order and all they need to do is have whoever's not busy at the moment grab it off the shelf, stick it in a bag, and drop it off up front for the customer. No wasted time standing in check-out, don't need as many cashiers working at once, etc.

On the other hand, you'd think they'd want customers to spend as long as possible in the store itself to encourage impulse buying. I know when I go into something like a Target for a single item, I'll inevitably be like, "Oh yeah, I could use some TP...and maybe laundry soap...and while I'm here I may as well look at..." etc.

I'm sure somebody in corporate thought it was a good idea.

Edit for thread content:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/02/04/sears-esl-deal-could-unravel-judge-continues-bankruptcy-hearing/2731794002/

Looks like Lampert's plan to buy out everything with his hedge fund may be in jeopardy. There are a number of unsecured creditors objecting to the deal who just want the whole operation shuttered and liquidated, and if the judge in the bankruptcy hearing isn't convinced by ESL's argument, they could get their wish.

A fun excerpt:

quote:

Lampert has long faced criticism that he's capitalized on the complicated financial transactions he's executed to keep Sears afloat. USA TODAY reported in June that Lampert was receiving up to $220 million a year in loan payments from the retailer, which also owns Kmart, and had structured loans to guarantee that his hedge fund gained access to key assets.

Melondog has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Feb 5, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Segmentation Fox posted:

On one hand it would seem to make some sense - customer does an 'order online, pick-up in store' order and all they need to do is have whoever's not busy at the moment grab it off the shelf, stick it in a bag, and drop it off up front for the customer. No wasted time standing in check-out, don't need as many cashiers working at once, etc.

On the other hand, you'd think they'd want customers to spend as long as possible in the store itself to encourage impulse buying. I know when I go into something like a Target for a single item, I'll inevitably be like, "Oh yeah, I could use some TP...and maybe laundry soap...and while I'm here I may as well look at..." etc.

I'm sure somebody in corporate thought it was a good idea.

Edit for thread content:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/02/04/sears-esl-deal-could-unravel-judge-continues-bankruptcy-hearing/2731794002/

Looks like Lampert's plan to buy out everything with his hedge fund may be in jeopardy. There are a number of unsecured creditors objecting to the deal who just want the whole operation shuttered and liquidated, and if the judge in the bankruptcy hearing isn't convinced by ESL's argument, they could get their wish.

A fun excerpt:
A judge signed off on Lampert's deal today so Sears is at least not going to die for now.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Lmao if you don't shop exclusively at costco

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I want to but everything is like $10 minimum and they don't give you bags.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

False. Hotdog and a Pepsi is $1.50 and they give you a wrapper and a paper cup.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Queen Combat posted:

I live in an apartment, I don't have room for 96 rolls of toilet paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

I live in an apartment, I don't have room for 96 rolls of toilet paper
Look at mr "i dont use a whole roll per poo poo"