Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

After beating Tofu and then...the grenade only guy I unlocked Flan and proceeded to murder every loving thing in the level

Sparkshot is loving good, yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So consensus:

Never use a green herb on it's own.

Never mix two green herbs together.

The western hallway is essential to board-up.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Claire A, HC: I just arrived at the sewer chess puzzle room and saved at 1h 28m. Is this doable for the S rank?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So consensus:

It’s essential for Leon. Claire can avoid most of that hallway when she needs to go back because she gets into the records room through a different door. But Claire also doesn’t need boards for the eastern hallway so she’ll have more than she needs anyways.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Not on hardcore. Here's the thing. On hardcore a zombie gets you into red danger from full health in one bite. If you're on yellow, they still get you into red danger

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

So consensus:

At least on standard there are plenty of herbs where that you can still eat a ton of hits and only ever need to use RG or RGB herbs.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Vic posted:

Claire A, HC: I just arrived at the sewer chess puzzle room and saved at 1h 28m. Is this doable for the S rank?

Should be, I had a similar time at that point in Claire B and finished at...2h48m

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.

So consensus:

From my experience you don't really get enough boards early on to board the west hallway before zombies already crawl inside, plus you only need to go through there twice (and a half as Leon).
Personally I run through the east side more, and prefer boarding up the windows there (and maybe some by the area Leon returns from the parking garage from).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkGPTq_Jkh4

X shows up when you walk down the hallway, so I think the safe play is to trigger him real quick and then double back for items until he leaves.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

My composure completely abandoned me in the sewers and I pulverised one zombie with what must have been 40+ SMG rounds. That won't bite me on the nose later :downs:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

I was playing on standard.

If I do a no item box no healing run, I'll probably try assisted.

Then I would love to know how you ended up with 200 handgun rounds without doing something like using a knife on everything or stopped using them altogether but still made them.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

My composure completely abandoned me in the sewers and I pulverised one zombie with what must have been 40+ SMG rounds. That won't bite me on the nose later :downs:

It is a moment of genuine surprise to keep seeing those times where you just totally lose your cool and end up wasting shitloads of ammo, not realizing the sunk cost until you’re leaving three zombie bodies behind and knowing you’d been better off popping the legs of one and ignoring the other two.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

In Training posted:

here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkGPTq_Jkh4

X shows up when you walk down the hallway, so I think the safe play is to trigger him real quick and then double back for items until he leaves.

nice, ty

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also if you didn’t learn it in A the STARS office is a safe zone. X can’t give into you in there.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Black August posted:

It is a moment of genuine surprise to keep seeing those times where you just totally lose your cool and end up wasting shitloads of ammo, not realizing the sunk cost until you’re leaving three zombie bodies behind and knowing you’d been better off popping the legs of one and ignoring the other two.
I've still got plenty of GL and 9mm ammo (and to be honest I'm still at 250+ SMG) but holy loving hell those moments when something "dead" suddenly springs back into action after the third pass over it just really gets me tilted. At the time I'm obviously loving fuming but then I look back and think "yeah you got me while I let my guard down, well played". It's generally avoidable, with what seems to be ONE exception in the lab.

This game is also reminding me why Claire has always been my favourite character in the series. Even though her "tone" (?) has changed a few times over the last 21 years (in no small part due to writing & VA changes) she's still got a certain way of getting things done that's always been the same. All in all I think she's got the most character out of the entire roster. It's the little things :v:

Edit:
She also happens to be the only recurring protagonist with no professional/trained background in shooting things. None of that po-faced "duty" nonsense. She's just loving cool.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 1, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Also if you didnt learn it in A the STARS office is a safe zone. X cant give into you in there.

yea, familiar with that. there and the clock tower were my known safe spaces outside of the save rooms (minus main hall)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Something I noticed is that the poster for the toy Raccoon mascot has the line "Can't wait to see you at the zoo!" or something along that line at the end.

It probably means nothing, but man I hope that if they do Remake 3 sometime that it's a hint that they will include the zoo section from Outbreak in it. Mutated zoo animals are the best kind.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Edit:
She also happens to be the only recurring protagonist with no professional/trained background in shooting things. None of that po-faced "duty" nonsense. She's just loving cool.

I imagine growing up with Chris as her brother meant she was popping off magnum rounds with bitty 5-year old hands down at the range.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Scenario B Mr. X He shows up in the STARS hallway. He disappears again when you enter the garage until you trigger him again by putting out the helicopter fire.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So consensus:

Lone green herbs are great if you take a little nibble from a zombie and it gets you from full health down to the top of Caution. A lone green herb will not heal you all the way back to full though, so another bite or two after will take you straight from the bottom of Fine to the top of Critical. You can take one more bite after that before you're at the bottom of Critical and one hit from death.

Also, G+G only barely heals a tiny amount less than R+G but also more than two lone greens would, so if you're on Critical then making a G+G is fine if you have few/no reds.

edit: On Hardcore, always heal to full with whatever you have onhand any time you get damaged. Don't ever be running around outside of Fine if you can help it because you can't afford to take two bites in a row unfortunately.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 2, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I genuinely enjoy both how uncertain you will be of how much a zombie can take, as well as not being sure of how much YOU can take, as each condition level has its own hidden degrees, fooling your cool by flashing state changes in the corner of some horrible looking attack, forcing you to make more hasty decisions purely by color panic and how big of a drop it was.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This is a cracking game and I’m really enjoying it, but I have to say Ada’s playable section is actually quite aggravating and not a lot of fun. Which is a shame because Sherry’s playable section was both creepy and full of nail biting tension.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I agree completely. I looooved that section, and after that just staring at walls holding down a button in Leon's special section was very disappointing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This is a cracking game and I’m really enjoying it, but I have to say Ada’s playable section is actually quite aggravating and not a lot of fun. Which is a shame because Sherry’s playable section was both creepy and full of nail biting tension.

Fortunately once you've done it and you remember the route and switch locations it's trivially easy and done in less than two minutes.
The entire section can be done without firing a single bullet.
On subsequent playthroughs it is akin to taking a breather for me.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Black August posted:

I imagine growing up with Chris as her brother meant she was popping off magnum rounds with bitty 5-year old hands down at the range.

11 year-old Chris was firing magnums? :v:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No Chris was probably already on LMGs by age 11

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm one of those weirdos who likes every mainline RE game (spinoffs not so much). Even 6, which I like a lot. Even 0 which is probably my least favorite is still a blast for me. So I'm in this weird position where I want RE 8 to follow in the same footsteps as REmake 2 and even 7 because I prefer that style of gameplay but still want to see a game starring Jake and Joe going full balls to the wall action but there's no way either of them could carry a game that isn't action focused.

Either way, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy 8 and the theoretical REmake 3 when they come out.

I hope RE8 continues the documentary/found footage thing where you can interact with the environment in ways that effect your play through. I thought that was a really clever game play add and wish they'd used it a bit more.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Finished my first Leon A Hardcore run. 3 saves, best time I could get it down to was 2:30:48 :negative:

Any advice for pathing out the sewers? That's where I feel I lost the most time with backtracking. The constant run killer was the lickers in the lab - those guys don't gently caress around.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
A little touch I like about RE2 is the way in which examining an object in the 3d view reveals a more detailed description of it, and sometimes lets you do something new with the item.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Ok so whats the best way to deal with a zomboi? I mean, when you actually have to shoot a zombie. I love the game, I love that sense of urgency of ammo being actually precious and a rare resource. I hate that I have no real counter move to a zombie grab except a sub-weapon. I really hate that zombies have such a large grab hitbox and theres no recovery time after getting bit by one zombie before you get grabbed by another. They just grab you as soon as you get up and you die. I hate it. It sucks.

Love the game though. That's more me being nitpicky from playing Res 4-5 have punching zombies in the face.

Anyway, I read you can shoot the neck of a zombie and their heads dangle? I've seen shooting the knees and making a crawler. Cutting arms off so they can't grab you. Taking them out on a date and standing them up so you break their hearts.

But whats the BEST method.

:thunk:

I think the 2 best ways are:

1) Shoot them in the head and hope for a critical (head blows up), and if you don't get one finish them with a knife

2) Aim for their knee to shoot their leg off and then either run past them or finish them with a knife

Both take roughly the same amount of handgun ammo but which one you use is gonna depend on a whole bunch of factors like what weapons you have, how many zombies you're fighting, what room you're in, or what kinds of ammo you have so these are just general strategies. With Leon the upgraded shotgun can usually take zombies out in one close range headshot and the magnum also instantly kills with a headshot. For Claire you'll probably have a lot of acid grenades and if you aim for the groin your guaranteed to melt off a leg or two.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Then I would love to know how you ended up with 200 handgun rounds without doing something like using a knife on everything or stopped using them altogether but still made them.

Pick up everything? Shoot for the head? Rarely miss? Idk man. I didn't use the knife much. Had a bunch sitting in my box at the end. I did use up all my shotgun shells.

I loaded my last save to ensure I wasn't being hyperbolic. I had more than 200! With materials for more!

Mr. X didn't stand a chance.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

Finished my first Leon A Hardcore run. 3 saves, best time I could get it down to was 2:30:48 :negative:

Any advice for pathing out the sewers? That's where I feel I lost the most time with backtracking. The constant run killer was the lickers in the lab - those guys don't gently caress around.

You can do the sewers in one loop, it's probably the hardest part of the game, especially if you go for the magnum upgrade, bc you're really hurting for inventory space. But you can go from the chess puzzle save room in a little circle, picking up everything you need with just 8 shotgun shells and your defensive item of choice as needed. I use grenades bc there's a grenade pick up on the way to help replenish if needed

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I get my runs to an hour and a half now. If you get the time, watch uhtrance's speedruns on youtube. I got the 14k steps achievement first go after watching one of his runs and writing down the next key item to go for. The sewers are far shorter than you'd expect.
The most common approach to the lab double lickers is to flash bang them. If you have plenty of time left over (and you've killed the sleeping zombies in the room) you can just walk every time you go through that room.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Does the flamethrower apply some kind of damage over time effect on burning monsters or are you better off just holding down the trigger until they are dead?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RE4:

What's the preferred control-scheme?

Do enemies have weak-spots like later entries? Can I aim where I please?

Does it ever get as tense as 2 and 7?

No subtitles?

Is there anything egregiously missable?

What is NOT recommended to buy from the merchant?

Was it false-advertising that you only wear the jacket in level 1 of 19?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 2, 2019

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Don't buy the TMP or the rifle scope. Don't buy the second shotgun wait for the third. Don't buy the Broken Butterfly, either; you can get a free one, and skip the Killer7, too.

Default controls are perfectly good. It'll get tense, yes, but a different sort of tension. Instead of a, "Jesus Christ, these guys are going to kill me!" it's not more like, "Jesus Christ, that's a lot of loving guys" Enemies can be melee'd after a head shot, or a knee shot that drops them to one knee. But, you can shoot them in the dick if you want to.

The only missable things are some treasures and treasure components, but you can buy a treasure map if you feel like it.

You'll wear the awesome jacket for just a little bit.

Leave fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 2, 2019

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Does the flamethrower apply some kind of damage over time effect on burning monsters or are you better off just holding down the trigger until they are dead?

The former. I've lit a plant zombie on fire, had it grab me, then it died from the DoT before it could injure me.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Shoot zombies in the legs and then suplex them forever.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Interesting information being shared over on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/am41wn/fact_finding_how_zombie_hp_works/

tl;dr: It looks as if the zombies in-game are individually placed with specific health totals, rather than any kind of built-in variance or standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wanderer posted:

Interesting information being shared over on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/residentevil/comments/am41wn/fact_finding_how_zombie_hp_works/

tl;dr: It looks as if the zombies in-game are individually placed with specific health totals, rather than any kind of built-in variance or standard.

For gently caress's sake. They would dive that loving deep and ruin a piece of immersion so early.