Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Honestly would go with a kei truck or kei van (or even a ute) if I could get one at a reasonable price. I don't need a big truck, but I do need to haul stuff (gardening supplies, tools, free stuff off Craigslist, recycling) around way more often than I need more than 2 people in the vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Not a Children posted:

Anyone in the know would realize all you have to do is brake-check them 2 or 3 times and suddenly their car is gimped due to overheating

Brake checking a cop car sounds like a good way to get rammed and get some extra charges :shrug:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
nah. just tell them your exercising your right to travel and they have to leave you alone.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ultraklystron posted:

Honestly would go with a kei truck or kei van (or even a ute) if I could get one at a reasonable price. I don't need a big truck, but I do need to haul stuff (gardening supplies, tools, free stuff off Craigslist, recycling) around way more often than I need more than 2 people in the vehicle.

thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3829078

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

almost five million pounds of manure was being dumped on the city streets every day (we can imagine how that would effect our commute to the office)
:cmon:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that is entirely correct, they are looking to make you imagine how they'd take a running start to then slide on their bellies through the poo poo-coated streets all the way to their offices (i.e. that's how the manure effects the commute)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that is entirely correct, they are looking to make you imagine how they'd take a running start to then slide on their bellies through the poo poo-coated streets all the way to their offices (i.e. that's how the manure effects the commute)

*i fred flintstone slide into work on a fecal flow*

hey guys you see those new poo poo teslas?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the photography guy where i work has a tiny little van that he uses when he goes out on jobs. it looks like the apple car that the lowly worm drives.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
the scarry world of elon musk

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

*tube-ishly*
disrupt climate change

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

elon musk: tubish pasty

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ultraklystron posted:

Just get a utility trailer. You can tow an aluminum utility trailer behind literally anything safely.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

if you're serious about wanting a kei truck there's a Toyota TownAce on Bring A Trailer right now

edit: there is also a weird lifted Lada convertible which is not a kei car but definitely seems cut from the same ridiculous cloth

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo a cabrio niva. now i've seen everything

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dijkstracula posted:

if you're serious about wanting a kei truck there's a Toyota TownAce on Bring A Trailer right now

edit: there is also a weird lifted Lada convertible which is not a kei car but definitely seems cut from the same ridiculous cloth

quote:

”American truck buyers were more into style and class and less into barebones utility”? Really? I am going to guess you are a millennial. Maybe you have never owned or driven a ’60’s C10 with a 3-on-the-tree?

millennials are killing the ugly truck industry :argh:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
so greymarket chat how did the military guys I'd see have their Volkswagens from germany in the US work? just another illegal car?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Shame Boy posted:

I guess in the sense that we're not shelling out 75k for a F-350 anymore :shobon:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Dijkstracula posted:

I guess in the sense that we're not shelling out 75k for a F-350 anymore :shobon:

im not looking it up but i'm going to guess 75k is more F-150 range these days

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

in all honesty I would have way more respect for someone who drives a farm truck over someone who drives an suv that looks like a truck

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

im not looking it up but i'm going to guess 75k is more F-150 range these days

the work truck version of either is about $30k. you can spend $75k on a truck if you want leather and other crazy poo poo that isn't particularly useful.

edit: ok i looked, a big F-450 duallie diesel "work truck" is $50k but you can option it with luxury poo poo to over $90k

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 1, 2019

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Mean streets: Self-driving cars will "cruise" to avoid paying to park

quote:

Under the best-case scenario, the presence of as few as 2,000 self-driving cars in downtown San Francisco will slow traffic to less than 2 miles per hour, according to Millard-Ball, who uses game theory and a traffic micro-simulation model to generate his predictions.
"Even when you factor in electricity, depreciation, wear and tear, and maintenance, cruising costs about 50 cents an hour—that's cheaper than parking even in a small town," says Millard-Ball. "Unless it's free or cheaper than cruising, why would anyone use a remote lot?"

not factored into his calculations: cost of auto body repairs when your car drives past the fire station and has a twitch

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the future: nobody drives here, there's too much traffic

except its true because all the traffic is just empty "parked" cars driving around

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao imagine dedicated literal square mileage to ghost cars constantly roaming, searching for passengers

There is no way that's more practical, not to mention safe, than a competent railroad system

I hope that if it ever actually came to pass people take to them with crowbars and baseball bats

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I thought the cars were going to auto-Uber and MAKE you money...

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

not factored into his calculations: cost of auto body repairs when your car drives past the fire station and has a twitch

you know what else is cheaper then parking? bus fare

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Roosevelt posted:

the photography guy where i work has a tiny little van that he uses when he goes out on jobs. it looks like the apple car that the lowly worm drives.

an import place an hours drive has a couple of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-SAMBAR-DOMINGO-1200cc-FA7-MINI-SAMBAR-RETRO-CAMPER-VAN-VINTAGE-7-SEAT/352572722283

and I really want to go take a look, but not spend nine grand on one :o:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

you know what else is cheaper then parking? bus fare

the bus is so good too, it’s socially acceptable to thank the driver which you basically can’t do on a train

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lmao i'd love to see an urban planner figure out how many trips such a thing would generate for traffic forecasting

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
calling bad traffic a parking lot is no longer a figure of speech

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:nono: We are not a bank, we just love to provide purchasing services on monthly subscription products convenienty adjustable in increments of $0.01

:elongate: We are not parking, these cars are sovereign capital assets moving at minimum street speed exercising freedom of navigation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Not a Children posted:

lmao imagine dedicated literal square mileage to ghost cars constantly roaming, searching for passengers

There is no way that's more practical, not to mention safe, than a competent railroad system

I hope that if it ever actually came to pass people take to them with crowbars and baseball bats

look at what people are doing to those mildly-annoying Bird electric scooters. they're dumping them into rivers and lakes as quickly as they can.

I'd bet that's only because there's no existing market for spare scooter parts. annoying ghost cars will probably drive the cost of lightly-used tires waaaaay down, at the very least

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

so greymarket chat how did the military guys I'd see have their Volkswagens from germany in the US work? just another illegal car?

you're free to import any car that meets us crash/emissions standards at any time - the EPA and other agencies have big lists available for what foreign-sold cars are legal for import without further modifications. most big name regular size volkswagens sold over in germany are fine to import to the us for instance.

you're also free to import any car at all pretty much once it's old enough, which usually matters fo rthings like old sports cars.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

the bus is so good too, it’s socially acceptable to thank the driver which you basically can’t do on a train

I’ve noticed that too, it’s always nice to see people thank the bus drivers cause I imagine driving a gigantic bus for a living sucks rear end

some of them even do fun announcements now

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can thank the conductor

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
psh, I ain't gonna thank someone just for running my pockets

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can thank the conductor

if there is one

half the british rail system is constantly on strike over this. turns out private sector rail operators don’t want to pay more staff than they absolutely need to, funny how that works

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

hobbesmaster posted:

if pg&e is any indication if everyone did that there'd be a lot more forest fires

Well kind of but as a side effect of :siren: car culture :siren: causing sprawl into forests.

Increased demand in the same geographic area isn’t going to cause more fires. If anything, it will decrease them because rent‐seeking utilities are forced to replace lovely old infrastructure with new infrastructure for capacity reasons.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tesla solar (remember that?) is basically dead and needs to nearly double its workforce to not get hit with penalties

quote:

Tesla already is facing a huge uphill climb to meet its employment goal – or face a $41.2 million penalty from the state. The plant employed about 800 people before Tesla's 7 percent company-wide job cut last month. But it needs to increase employment there by more than 80 percent in the next 14 months to avoid triggering the penalty – assuming state officials try to impose it.

Tesla's conventional solar installations fell by 17 percent to a five-year low during the fourth quarter. Its solar deployments last year were down 62 percent from just two years ago, when it was the unquestioned leader in the residential rooftop market with a market share of around 33 percent. It's now No. 2, and its market share is around 9 percent, according to analysts at Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables.

Tesla doesn't expect the decline to stop, either. The company said solar deployments would drop even further during the first quarter to another post-2012 low.

Musk, who has said he slept on the factory floor during the Model 3 production ramp this summer, has never visited the Buffalo solar panel factory. Yet he told analysts Wednesday that he plans to make several trips to China this year to check on progress at the electric vehicle plant it is building in Shanghai.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/01/31/david-robinson-for-tesla-more-delays-for-solar-roof/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hmm, the factory that ostensibly makes a product that doesn't really work and no one wants (solar tiles)? yup, that looks like a good place to increase headcount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Well kind of but as a side effect of :siren: car culture :siren: causing sprawl into forests.

Increased demand in the same geographic area isn’t going to cause more fires. If anything, it will decrease them because rent‐seeking utilities are forced to replace lovely old infrastructure with new infrastructure for capacity reasons.

or they won’t replace it fast enough, old substations throw breakers that cause sparks and catch scrub on fire

this is what those breakers can do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Ftv3zt-gI