Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Have a couple of pieces up about Daytona, including this interview with Zanardi that people might enjoy: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/02/paralympic-gold-medalist-alex-zanardi-on-how-hes-able-to-race-at-daytona/

okay so this

The Legend Alex Zanardi posted:

But then I explain that I'm not any more vulnerable, because if I break one of my legs it only takes a 4mm screw to fix it, you know?

...how did you not crack up at that

(also the Dinner With Racers episode with Dr. Terry Trammal has an excellent but not-work-friendly story about Zanardi having his sense of humor in the aftermath of his wreck in Germany)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Bathurst practice has been interesting already

https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/02/01/b12h-organisers-investigating-fire-fighting-spectator-incident/

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dudes probably going to get banned for running on to a hot track, even if he did likely save Tim Pappas' life.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i support that bloke and wish to buy him a Crownie

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Support races and qualifying streaming now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCGbCXVIbVY

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

orange juche posted:

dudes probably going to get banned for running on to a hot track, even if he did likely save Tim Pappas' life.

Motorsport.com seem to have picked their side https://www.motorsport.com/endurance/news/bathurst-hero-intervention-fiery-crash/4331789/

And yes, dude is a hero. Given the circumstances, he likely saved the drivers life. The official crews reaction sounds like that of bumbling dumbfucks

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Qualifying 1 is about to start. It should be interesting after the Bentley snagged the top time in the final practice session this morning. I really want to see the Bentley’s do well cause they’re super consistent at Bathurst and generally get let down by others during the race.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CactusWeasle posted:

Motorsport.com seem to have picked their side https://www.motorsport.com/endurance/news/bathurst-hero-intervention-fiery-crash/4331789/

And yes, dude is a hero. Given the circumstances, he likely saved the drivers life. The official crews reaction sounds like that of bumbling dumbfucks

That article is terrifying and enraging

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Do you not remember the huge crash from last year because the flagman wasnt at his post at the top of the goddamn mountain? Bathurst is incredibly incompetent for the inherent danger.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Kimoa Kid posted:

That article is terrifying and enraging

Jfc

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What time is the green flag?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

OhsH posted:

Do you not remember the huge crash from last year because the flagman wasnt at his post at the top of the goddamn mountain? Bathurst is incredibly incompetent for the inherent danger.

Oh yeah where there was a small crash but the marshal was 100 meters from his post loving off with his dick in his hand and missed the flags, and was unable to signal a yellow flag to cars charging up the hill and then there was a full on holy gently caress smashout? yeah thats bathurst.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

iospace posted:

What time is the green flag?

1:45 PM EST tomorrow.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

"we test the bottles, we don't test the hoses," like what the gently caress

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

"we test the bottles, we don't test the hoses," like what the gently caress

One of my clients does this and I'm going to ask them if they test both because what the gently caress

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

I love love love the Bentleys and how they have the car number on the grille like this

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I don't think I've ever seen the hose on an extinguisher get tested during normal testing. The fire incident is similar to the one a few years ago at the 12hr where paul morris put his own car out after it had caught fire right next to a marshalling point.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I don't think I've ever seen the hose on an extinguisher get tested during normal testing. The fire incident is similar to the one a few years ago at the 12hr where paul morris put his own car out after it had caught fire right next to a marshalling point.

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78SIektVOR4

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

I love love love the Bentleys and how they have the car number on the grille like this

It’s such a shame the “enormous car” meme was wasted on the BMW M8 GTE.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bentley's make such good GT3 cars. :swoon: It's just a shame I rarely see them do well except for Bathurst.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

I was screaming at the TV during this

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

I didn't know Australia had a TA2 series there. I thought they only ran in Trans-Am.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I think it’s just in that category that they do.
Time for the top 10 shootout

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
https://youtu.be/M_OAGszysrM

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
As a flagger, this whole incident is totally hosed up. Normally i'm very against random spectators trying to get involved for obvious reasons, but this guy was exactly in the right.

The big thing is, Supercars and CAMS, who are sanctioning this race, don't allow trackside intervention and haven't for a while. They're only allowed to do flags and comms, just like IMSA. That kind of rule is going to lead to poo poo like this happening because marshals don't know how to respond anymore, or they're too complacent with the new, lazy way of doing things. I mean, if a marshal went over the wall for that car, they would probably get their credentials pulled and kicked out so no one bothers going over anymore, even in extreme bad situations like that. This has already happened a few times over the last few years. It's a bad bad deal.

I get that I'm not gonna do a tracheotomy or an extrication, that's not my job, but getting a loving fire put out sure as hell is, but we're told to stay behind the wall. I don't know what the answer is because more and more series seem to be going this way, but I'd expect more dumb poo poo like this.

And the whole we don't check the hose thing... holy crap. My home track is small and has no money, and we still have a full compliment of 45 working, tested extinguishers. They're not actually that much money for a 10lb bottle. That's such a load of poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stream is up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD2MhysM8cw

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Think I've been spoiled with most racing series I watch being aired on fox sports uninterrupted. I'm currently watching the Bathurst 12 hours of ads and forgotten how annoying that is.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

freeranger posted:

Think I've been spoiled with most racing series I watch being aired on fox sports uninterrupted. I'm currently watching the Bathurst 12 hours of ads and forgotten how annoying that is.

don't worry theres been plenty of saftey cars to fill the space

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That M8 really proving that you should never lift.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/Bathurst12hour/status/1091808717522128896

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Basticle posted:

don't worry theres been plenty of saftey cars to fill the space

Well the power went out at my house an hour ago with no eta for return so I haven't missed much anyway.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The Bentley’s as always sound completely ridiculous. The loudest car award goes to Marc cars mustangs which are kinda painfully loud compared to everything else out there

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

that Lambo with the retro BASF livery owns

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

net work error posted:

That M8 really proving that you should never lift.

It’s an M6 GT3, isn’t it? I think the only M8 racecars are the M8 GTEs but maybe I’m wrong.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

It’s an M6 GT3, isn’t it? I think the only M8 racecars are the M8 GTEs but maybe I’m wrong.

You’re right, it’s the M6 GT3.

Which looks small compared to the Bentley.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Porsche are looking good for the win

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

That's another fire extinguisher that didn't work properly. When the marshal set it off, it sprayed from the top of the bottle as well as the hose.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That GTR driver has an rear end kicking coming from his team.

e: 3rd moving on 2nd and 5th moving on 4th in the same corner, bumper to bumper, wheel to wheel.

e2: #18 nissan gets the fuckin boot with 10 minutes left. lol

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 3, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Crewcam during a battle for the lead is nearly as bad as wife cam

Great race though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ballsy move there.