Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

khy
Aug 15, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

I had read it a long time ago and wasn't sure if to share. Some of the later chapters have him wear the goofiest mask(I think tiki) with a hulk dude just going all out. It's every bit as awesome as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Oh God YES!!! Super Tiki Bro!!!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

doomrider7 posted:

Edit: Thoughts on Konjiki no Wordmaster. It's got the grumpy kind of misanthropic male lead, but he's actually a decent guy and actually HAS reasons for his loner misanthropic attitude(foster care is rarely ever all sunshine and roses). He's OP as hell, but he has to work for his wins by being really creative. Read a long while ago and have yet to catch up on it.

I read some of it and can't say I liked it but it held my attention for a while and didn't seem abjectly terrible, but as he got companions I bailed out. Can't really say how it went after that since I quit reading it relatively early I think.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Everything Burrito posted:

I read some of it and can't say I liked it but it held my attention for a while and didn't seem abjectly terrible, but as he got companions I bailed out. Can't really say how it went after that since I quit reading it relatively early I think.

I remember reading it til after they fight the mutated beast creature chimera thing. I recall checking out the wiki and the series was not remarkable, but a decent isekai.

Thoughts on New Gate? Haven't picked it up yet, but the premise is interesting. Stuck in video game and he beats the Final Boss and frees everyone, but just he's about to logout, he gets sucked into a New Game taking place 300 years after the events of the previous game.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Let's go a bit further afield!

Isekai Tensei Soudouki
https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-118972
Protagonist is a young nobleman who, for whatever reason, ends up having three souls : His own, a super miserly old samurai and a modern-day otaku. He then proceeds to do all the usual Isekai stuff - using modern knowledge to amass a fortune, getting a harem, rolling around in gold naked, all the normal stuff!.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

Let's go a bit further afield!

Isekai Tensei Soudouki
https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-118972
Protagonist is a young nobleman who, for whatever reason, ends up having three souls : His own, a super miserly old samurai and a modern-day otaku. He then proceeds to do all the usual Isekai stuff - using modern knowledge to amass a fortune, getting a harem, rolling around in gold naked, all the normal stuff!.

Had that one on my list, but removed it because I had no idea how to explain the premise since it sounded so weird. And ok that sounds like some good Kazuma from Konosuba fun right there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Dungeon Nursery

https://mangadex.org/title/23004/dungeon-nursery

Koizumi Takashi (a salary man) dies from slipping on a banana peel. if he can reach the magical Fountain of Purification which resides at the bottom of a difficult dungeon, he will be allowed into Heaven. But to do that, he needs to conquer the dungeon by summoning monsters. His first monster was a level 1 female goblin.

Takarakuji de 40 oku Atatta ndakedo Isekai ni Ijuu Suru

https://mangadex.org/title/20309/takarakuji-de-40-oku-atatta-ndakedo-isekai-ni-ijuu-suru

After winning a 4 Billion Yen lottery, I quit my company job. But I ended up in a different world doing some serious volunteering, saving a poor village with contemporary Japanese materials and technology from the home center. What would happen if I bring modern home electrical appliances over there from Japan? And it seems I would fall in love with a beautiful girl in the village.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of max level slime witch, there's a new chapter! https://mangadex.org/title/23197/slime-taoshite-300-nen-shiranai-uchi-ni-level-max-ni-nattemashita

Edit: is this the most moe isekai

Edit: ah, welp, looks like it's the Hot Springs Chapter

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 2, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

Had that one on my list, but removed it because I had no idea how to explain the premise since it sounded so weird. And ok that sounds like some good Kazuma from Konosuba fun right there.

I would recommend it. It hits a lot of the usual Isekai tropes (MC 'invents' sugar beet farming, mayonnaise, conditioner, hand pumps, etc) and the harem part is strong with almost every major female lead throwing themselves at him almost from the start, it also hits a LOT of wacky and enjoyable poo poo like the MC doing a Scrooge McDuck until, as the manga puts it, 'the young master's... it's lifting its trunk and trumpeting'. It has some pretty serious parts to break up the humor which is welcome; but anytime poo poo gets really serious in a fight the samurai personality comes out to gently caress people up, and it's a joy to read.

The latest chapters in particular have been fantastic. A reverse-trap knight meets a trap prince and they fall instantly in love, and have a crossdressing 'private' wedding. Also a woman with a grandfather fetish falls in love with the 13-year-old MC when his old-man personality comes out to fight.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

khy posted:

I would recommend it. It hits a lot of the usual Isekai tropes (MC 'invents' sugar beet farming, mayonnaise, conditioner, hand pumps, etc) and the harem part is strong with almost every major female lead throwing themselves at him almost from the start, it also hits a LOT of wacky and enjoyable poo poo like the MC doing a Scrooge McDuck until, as the manga puts it, 'the young master's... it's lifting its trunk and trumpeting'. It has some pretty serious parts to break up the humor which is welcome; but anytime poo poo gets really serious in a fight the samurai personality comes out to gently caress people up, and it's a joy to read.

The latest chapters in particular have been fantastic. A reverse-trap knight meets a trap prince and they fall instantly in love, and have a crossdressing 'private' wedding. Also a woman with a grandfather fetish falls in love with the 13-year-old MC when his old-man personality comes out to fight.

That spoiler part is weird as hell. I'm sold.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

khy posted:

The latest chapters in particular have been fantastic. A reverse-trap knight meets a trap prince and they fall instantly in love, and have a crossdressing 'private' wedding.

You couldn't maybe find a better descriptor to use there?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wordmaster is one of those webnovels where the mc accumulates a harem except all of the members are little girls or 1000 year old demons who just so happen to look like little girls.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

You couldn't maybe find a better descriptor to use there?

If you're referring to the spoiler, I couldn't have found anything that fits better than that.

If you're referring to me calling it fantastic, it's extremely entertaining the way it's presented. To me, at least. If you want to judge for yourself... https://mangadex.org/chapter/516964/12

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think he means the use of the slur

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stairmaster posted:

I do.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Tabletops posted:

is re:zero cool or whack these days

It's good and season 2 is never coming out

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

super-redguy posted:

Will watching El-Hazard again after a decade leave me with disappointment? My memories of it have faded and I have no idea how well it's aged.
The first 7 episode OAV is good. All of the sequels and spin-offs are pretty weak.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beasteh posted:

It's good and season 2 is never coming out
Kick me while I'm down, why don't you. :negative:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah let's not use that word maybe.
Tomboy/tomgirl, femme/masc, crossdresser, trans, genderfucker, all are perfectly good alternatives depending on the situation. That word is used to objectify an entire, already
vulnerable group of people into sex objects.

Dungeon Nursery is great and it has the best ending.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 2, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wordmaster is one of those webnovels where the mc accumulates a harem except all of the members are little girls or 1000 year old demons who just so happen to look like little girls.

that was the feeling i was getting when the companions started showing up and they were very young & why I noped out tbh but didn't want to disparage it unnecessarily in case it didn't really go that direction. IIRC there were also some uncomfortable gags with the other dude who ends up hanging out with them as well, re: the young girls

new chapter of Handyman Saitou is good, character development and a cliffhanger!
hope the next chapter shows up soon :ohdear:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 2, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Bakarina - You've likely heard of this one. Girl dies and reincarnates as villaness from Otome game and is desperately trying to avoid her death flags with comical success.

why does she keep refering to male love interests as capture targets

is this how women think

khy
Aug 15, 2005

everythingWasBees posted:

Yeah let's not use that word maybe.
Tomboy/tomgirl, femme/masc, crossdresser, trans, genderfucker, all are perfectly good alternatives depending on the situation. That word is used to objectify an entire, already
vulnerable group of people into sex objects.

Gotcha. Truthfully I didn't know it was a slur. I've seen the word used often but not often with any negative connotation. Also because it's used in a LOT of different Mangas and LN/WNs to describe feminine men and masculine women, I had always thought of it as simply slang. I suppose, though, it's a short step from slang to slur - I'll avoid using it in the future.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

is this how women think

It's hosed up.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

it's an otome game fan term, presumably. like "waifu"

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Stairmaster posted:

is this how women think

Well Elephant Parade beat me to it. She's still basically thinking in terms of her old life and how she's basically reincarnated into the game she last played. It's part of the joke in that she hasn't realized that it's not pertinent anymore since she's long past the need to worry about being offed or exiled.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
^^^ One of my gripes about the "reincarnated as villainess in an otome game" genre (which I otherwise generally find pretty fun) is that it seems very common for the protagonists to keep being concerned about experiencing the game's (or manga or whatever) bad ending long after it's already been made super clear that the events of the game have been completely derailed and everyone likes the protagonist now.

I actually kinda wish those titles did more with the "villainess" angle. They're kinda similar to "normal" isekai where the protagonist starts out weak and quickly becomes over-powered, in the sense that the "disliked villainess" phase is often very short and they quickly just develop their own harems, etc. Kenkyo Kenjitsu is one of the few that actually keeps her background as a part of the way others perceive here for a long time.

Tabletops posted:

is re:zero cool or whack these days

It is better than the vast majority of stuff listed in the OP, simply by virtue of meeting the standard of "doesn't read like something a complete amateur wrote while making things up as they go along." I'm not completely caught up with the translated WN, though I've finished the really long arc that occurs after the events of the anime (it's a really good arc with some stuff that would be great animated, which makes it a shame that it's never going to be).

Stairmaster posted:

is this how women think

The male love interests in otome games are referred to as "capture targets" because the goal of the game is to hook up with one of them. It's basically a way of saying they're one of the "route" options.

khy posted:

This post confused me because I thought you were making fun of it and then suddenly said "it's a joy to read" out of nowhere.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 2, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eliza is pretty good. Similar initial setup to Duke's Daughter. Girl reincarnates as Eliza Kaldia, a noble villainess character from an otome game. She's two years old right now but knows she's going to die in highschool when her entire family gets offed for their many misdeeds, so she resolves to nip that bad end in the bud by not growing up to become Game Eliza Kaldia. It's more serious than Bakarina and darker than Duke's Daughter. It tackles politics and responsibilities more than the economy aspects of Duke's Daughter.

If you're still not interested, here's some spoilers to tease.Rather than jump ahead to the Otome Game segment ala Bakarina or do a post-game like Duke's Daughter, this story follows Eliza doing everything she can to avert her bad end while growing up. She poisons her family and becomes the sole surviving Kaldia, gets a regent until she's old enough to inherit her family's domain. She gets involved in all sorts of thing Game Eliza would never touch as she grows up. By the time the story (finally) reaches the noble highschool segment, she's fairly confident she's averted her bad end. But she's also accidentally dipped her toes into the mysteries of the world and shadowy conspiracies that the game did not cover at all. And now she has to handle an Otome Game plot.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Argas posted:

Eliza is pretty good. Similar initial setup to Duke's Daughter. Girl reincarnates as Eliza Kaldia, a noble villainess character from an otome game. She's two years old right now but knows she's going to die in highschool when her entire family gets offed for their many misdeeds, so she resolves to nip that bad end in the bud by not growing up to become Game Eliza Kaldia. It's more serious than Bakarina and darker than Duke's Daughter. It tackles politics and responsibilities more than the economy aspects of Duke's Daughter.

If you're still not interested, here's some spoilers to tease.Rather than jump ahead to the Otome Game segment ala Bakarina or do a post-game like Duke's Daughter, this story follows Eliza doing everything she can to avert her bad end while growing up. She poisons her family and becomes the sole surviving Kaldia, gets a regent until she's old enough to inherit her family's domain. She gets involved in all sorts of thing Game Eliza would never touch as she grows up. By the time the story (finally) reaches the noble highschool segment, she's fairly confident she's averted her bad end. But she's also accidentally dipped her toes into the mysteries of the world and shadowy conspiracies that the game did not cover at all. And now she has to handle an Otome Game plot.

Is there a manga for this? Definitely on my read list

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

doomrider7 posted:

Is there a manga for this? Definitely on my read list

Unfortunately not AFAIK. If there is it's not being translated.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

This post confused me because I thought you were making fun of it and then suddenly said "it's a joy to read" out of nowhere.

I was making fun of it, but in many cases stupid can flash over to humor easily. The contrast is often fun!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I've been enjoying the previously mentioned A Wild Last Boss Appeared. MC "wins" an EVE-style MMO, gets bored, arranges to get overthrown by a group of other players, and then gets summoned into the world 200 years later as his character... now a historical figure that conquered the world before being overthrown and then the world went to poo poo. Or as I like to think of the series, Overlord with likeable protagonists.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Is the Bakarina LN available over here in the West yet? Ditto for Duke's Daughter. I know the manga for the latter is, but I'm still looking for the LN's.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
J-Novel Club has the Bakarina license, they tl'd the title as "My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!" I don't know how good their translations are.

I don't believe Duke's Daughter is licensed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

LibrarianCroaker posted:

J-Novel Club has the Bakarina license, they tl'd the title as "My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!" I don't know how good their translations are.

I don't believe Duke's Daughter is licensed.

Thanks and Bummer on the second one. Odd since the manga got picked up.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

https://mangadex.org/title/23842/eden
Here's a 'trapped in a video game' title. Without contact with the outside world nobody really knows if dying in the game kills you, but everyone assumes it does. The MC is mocked for staying with the beginning sword style instead of more advanced and useful ones, but predictably he turns out to be crazy OP as a result. It's not amazing but then it avoids most of the worst tropes so it's worth reading while waiting for other releases.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, the worst tropes are pedophilia and slavery so that's technically true. instead it's about everyone in a 10 mile radius always being completely obsessed with the mc, at first because he is weak and later because he is strong. "oh that guy kind of sucks I MUST DEDICATE MY LIFE TO FOLLOWING HIM AROUND AND MOCKING HIM". for what is supposed to be an mmo it sure as heck seems like he's the only actual player.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

RottenK posted:

are there isekais about people and creatures from fantasy worlds reincarnating in ours

There's the newish Welcome to Japan, Ms. Elf. There's only a couple manga chapters so far. The MC goes to a fantasy world whenever he sleeps, waking up when he sleeps or dies over there. While exploring some ruins with an elf friend of his they both die and he wakes up with said elf next to him.

It's been fine so far, if a little slow on the setup. I'm interested enough to check out the LN coming out this month, see if it stays cute and doesn't get creepy.

This is really fun. I was reminded of it with the recent update and went looking for a WN/LN, and started reading that too. It gets more fun, with updates to the game world (includibg the most hateful of them all, nerfs) and more characters to bounce off each other.

Is it okay to mention something that tangentially fits but is only a WN? It's not isekai or VRMMO, but it's got a character that becomes semi-immortal along with getting incredibly powerful due to a unique ability, but she's a 30 year old extremely doting single mother of twin daughters that refuses to rank too high in the Adventurer's Guild so she can't be forced to take on requests that would take her away from them.

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 3, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Onean posted:

Is it okay to mention something that tangentially fits but is only a WN? It's not isekai or VRMMO, but it's got a character that becomes semi-immortal along with getting incredibly powerful due to a unique ability, but she's a 30 year old extremely doting single mother of twin daughters that refuses to rank too high in the Adventurer's Guild so she can't be forced to take on requests that would take her away from them.

Elf is good. And go ahead. This thread might be not the best fit but also you can't describe something like that without linking it

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

While I'm not sure how good of an adaptation the Overlord Manga is, I'm enjoying the spin-off manga https://mangadex.org/title/31795/overlord-official-comic-a-la-carte The original LNs are really good too.

The overlord manga is a good adaptation.

https://mangadex.org/title/25473/overlord-the-undead-king-oh

This is the comedy spinoff of overlord... but the translation has stopped at chapter 6, and there are 22 chapters out.

Its really, really loving good stuff if you're a fan of the nazarick crew.

Pharohman777 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's not too far off a normal isekai setup and feels a lot like one, it's just missing the reincarnation/summon/etc. factor. It's even got quite the name: Even Though I’m a Former Noble and a Single Mother, My Daughters Are Too Cute and Working as an Adventurer Isn’t Too Much of a Hassle

The synopsis:

quote:

Into a noble class that treats those born with white hair or heterochromia as treacherous snakes, Shirley was born into the family of the most powerful duke in the land adorned with stunning hair the colour of snow, and non-matching red and blue eyes.

Hated by her own family, and having the only man who ever loved snatched away by a jealous younger sister on her wedding night, she is imprisoned on false charges.

Enduring torture and humiliation, she vowed to gain my revenge against those who wronged her. But, even though she escaped, in her belly there was the child of her former fiancée.

Even if the man himself is hateful, an unborn child is without sin. After giving birth to healthy twins, I thought to leave them at an orphanage for safekeeping, but…

“Ah, what to do, my daughters are just too cute.”

Shirley was floored by the feelings she held for the two girls she had brought into the world. Choosing motherhood over revenge, she fled the Empire and settled in a remote town in a neighbouring Kingdom. In order to support her children, she found herself entering through the doors of the Adventurers Guild. It would be nice if we could live a nice quiet life out here, where the empire won’t think to look for us…

“Ms. Shirley! Calamity-class monsters are appearing in the Kingdom! Can you accept help us!?”

“I’m very sorry, but I have to decline. I’m helping my daughters with their homework today.”

After ten years, she had somehow become known the world over as “The Demonic White Sword”.

The fan translation is actually pretty decent, certainly better than the synopsis above. Feel free to skip the prologue chapters if they get too dark, they just go over the events in the synopsis with a little more detail and don't match most of the tone going forward. (There's occasionally scumbags. They get their just desserts, unless it's the main antagonists, but even they get their metaphorical nose bloodied. Repeatedly.)