Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I havent been wearing shoulder pads all month which has been all fine and dandy until last week when someone decided to bounce their cage off my shoulder.

That smarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

bewbies posted:

what the gently caress is a line

It's the red or blue thing that goes across the ice, duh

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

That being said, it appears to be lacking some side protection, as Duke Chin has witnessed. I learned that day that the side of a rib doesn't give up a rebound.

Yeah, that's one thing I don't like about the CCM that the Reebok had: A pad for the back. It sounds innocuous, and the pad on the back of the Reebok is essentially a laptop sleeve, but the back straps don't cover a whole lot outside of the spine and maybe the kidneys if the stars align right.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Bradf0rd posted:

Depending on the brand of her C/A, it may sit low and not really protect the clavicle very well. I'd worn Warrior C/As for a while but they always ride low and I had too many shots hit areas that it didn't protect. The Passau one I have now sits high so it protects like a clavicle/throat guard. That being said, it appears to be lacking some side protection, as Duke Chin has witnessed. I learned that day that the side of a rib doesn't give up a rebound.

it also made a very noticeably different slappy-thunk noise.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

just lol if you don't play with 3 d every game and you're one of the d

God this is the pro move even if I am somewhat of a liability in this scenario

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My first C/A was a Bauer Elite that was made out of bubble wrap and I felt every shot on my arms and ribs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

3 is important because they're all a bunch of lazy asses. You put a defense who's used to two pairs on wing and there will be endless crying about how much their legs hurt.

4 defense ruins conditioning.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

Just gotta get that glide going

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

You have access to a 20/25 per week drop in at your level, not sure why you’d bother with leagues at that price given that the 25 session is 90minutes?

I find it hard to not stay at home after work unless there's a scheduled event like a league game, but I also totally forgot about that skate and fell off their email list.

I haven't been paying for full seasons at this point at lakewood, just splitting half seasons but our capt said he didn't want to manage that anymore and that I could just be a sub, but I haven't even played a game because I believe the sub fee is 30 or 35 now. Blegh.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

sellouts posted:

3d every game is my dream.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nitramster posted:

I find it hard to not stay at home after work unless there's a scheduled event like a league game, but I also totally forgot about that skate and fell off their email list.

If you want back on, message me your email and I will have him add you back. It got too long to keep everyone on it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My team’s D bitch if they ever have to run 3D. Not fit enough I guess.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If you're playing 3D and tired at the end of the game you're not playing D right...

...telling your wingers to go into the corners to get the puck when it's in your end and otherwise just hanging out at the red line catching your breath.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Ginette Reno posted:

just lol if you don't play with 3 d every game and you're one of the d

I like the games where we start with two d and sort of just hope another guy shows up.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
So my first ever league game went about as well as possible. :D

The biggest reason why we won was our defense, especially our captain, who was the best player on the ice for either team. We completely dominated possession for the whole game. Our goalie isn't very good, but it didn't matter because I would guess he only had to block like 8 shots the entire game. We won 5-1. Mine was goal number 3, our only goal in the 2nd period. I caught a pass from the point with my back to the goalie right in front of the net, did a quick turnaround backhand that found the 5-hole.

Next week's game is against the team full of ringers that apparently wins every year, but we crushed an above-average team tonight, so I'm feeling pretty good about our chances.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Which of these three designs is y'alls favorite?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Congrats!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
The black looks pretty baller.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

calandryll posted:

The black looks pretty baller.

The black also has the advantage of making it more difficult for the offense to see where the rebound goes. :ninja:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

What would it look like in Prince Purple?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Nice, congrats!

Vargatron posted:

Red. Always red.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I am disappointed with that configurator's options for making horribly clashing schemes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The red and black both look baller. Not as good as Kelly green, but still p sick.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Red and black is a hard pass.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I have a three game point streak going dudes

Feels good man. Let's just ignore that my goal tonight went in because a team mate in front of the net hit it with his hand.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

doctor 7 posted:

Feels good man. Let's just ignore that my goal tonight went in because a team mate in front of the net hit it with his hand.

Your goalie didn't catch it?

Also playoff game tonight turned into a rout against a team that was either going to mop the floor with us or give up one bad game. Thankfully it was the latter.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
What is the farthest any of you drive to play once or twice a week?

I am moving to an area with no rinks and I am trying to decide if I want to take a long drive to play or just give it up.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I haven't had that problem but I would think it would have to be less than an hour each way.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 6, 2019

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd probably do up to an hour one way if it was the only option.

As it is my 30 minute drive is pushing it (and I make that drive twice on sundays), but only because there's a bunch of closer rinks near me. But the place I skate has cooler people.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
I can't imagine getting done playing at midnight on a sunday night and then driving an hour

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I drive 45 minutes to my rink and it does blow. But I'm in the South and the options are bare.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I could hit a golf ball and hit my rink

i'll see myself out

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The rink where I play Rat Hockey, take lessons, and do free skates is 10-15 minutes away, but my league rink is 25-30 because the closer rink doesn't offer a low enough level league that I'd feel comfortable playing in. :v:

There are probably 2 dozen rinks within 30 minutes of me in Chicago. They're everywhere.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I drive about 45 min to my Sunday night skate. I moved like 5 years ago and decided 45 min wasn't that far to get together with the guys once a week. Most of the guys in that skate I've been skating with 10+ years so its more of a social get together which makes it worth it for me. Plus it is at 7pm. If it were at like 10pm or later I might not be so interested.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The biggest reason why we won was our defense, especially our captain, who was the best player on the ice for either team. We completely dominated possession for the whole game. Our goalie isn't very good, but it didn't matter because I would guess he only had to block like 8 shots the entire game. We won 5-1. Mine was goal number 3, our only goal in the 2nd period. I caught a pass from the point with my back to the goalie right in front of the net, did a quick turnaround backhand that found the 5-hole.

Next week's game is against the team full of ringers that apparently wins every year, but we crushed an above-average team tonight, so I'm feeling pretty good about our chances.

this is awesome btw

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I ordered those blacked out pads today. They'll get here in 8-10 weeks.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Those are super cool - I had to browse the site for a while and mess with the custom colors.

As a skater, goalie pads are, for me anyway, like looking at written Arabic or Thai - beautiful and artistic to look at, but I'll never understand them :(

Also, I drive about 30 minutes to the rink on Fridays - the ride home feels waaaaay longer.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Between 30 and 45 mins for practices, and because there are no "in house" leagues in our country anywhere up to 1hr30m for a game. A couple of years back we were in a competition where 2 teams were a 4hr drive away...

My solution is just to download a few podcasts and have a chill drive once or twice a week.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I drive into New York City for one of mine. :unsmigghh:

Luckily it's only Sundays so it's usually not terrible. $12 to enter, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
My brother trains/subways it from Brooklyn to CT for 10:20 weeknight games and then back into the city.

Although I used to go CT to Central Park for games so this is just evening us up.