Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china klay
Jul 4, 2018

*chef kiss*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: Going to start BYOGM 5/bidding at 2 PM EST tomorrow (February 2nd, 2 PM EST) :siren:

I will post all updated bidding rules + spreadsheet (which will also have the rules on it) overnight so people can refresh themselves with the information.

Should be fun!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

china klay posted:

*chef kiss*

Your team predicted Marcus Smart becoming a good scorer.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

See you losers later today

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

No, if a player gets injured in the sim, that's one thing, but people like Isiah/Oladipo/etc aren't going to be injured in the game if they're injured IRL. I'm also putting injuries slightly less than 100% (maybe 80% or 90%, 100% being normal), just so there aren't a bunch of BS injuries that ruin the season, but enough chance so that things still can happen. The only "IRL" updates that will happen is right before I sim the season and at the all-star break, I'll look over all of the rosters and adjust any sort of ratings that are out of whack. Like, Joe Harris should be a solid contributor and not have scrub ratings, Gordon Hayward isn't going to have 9/10 offense ratings, stuff like that. But every update/injury/etc will be shown in thread/in the spreadsheet, as well as player ratings next to the player so you guys know what sort of ratings they have in the game and what you're bidding on. Actually, I'll adjust that before any of this because I'm not going to "lower" anybody's stats after the game starts, whatever happens happens. Just tweaking players beforehand, and then posting their ratings so everything is out there.

Jeremy Lin having a huge season out of nowhere? Marcus Smart getting efficient? Kyle Lowry becoming an all-star at 28? Manu Ginobli becoming an HoF player after being picker LITERALLY LAST? Pshh, none of that is realistic.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Theres another way to handle the years issue. Make it so both the AAV and the number of years are progressive. So if you want to beat someones bid, you have to beat either the AAV or the years but neither can be less.

I second this, seems easy enough to me.

Team A bids $10/1yr on Michael Jordan
Team B beats it with $12/1yr
Team C beats that with $12/2yr
Team A has to come back with either go $12/3yr or $13/2yr ($25/1yr would not beat it, nor would $11/5yr for example)

I think that's fairly straightforward and understandable? To me it's more interesting and flexible for strategy allowing us to judge contract lengths.

BUT if you just want to mandate how long each player's contract is for then that's a simple way to do it.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Bidding Rules

There are two final new/changed rules:

Every player is now going to be on their real NBA contract lengths, so you don't have to worry about year lengths anymore. They will be listed, whoever pays the most will get that player. In the event of a tie, whoever posted first will get that player.

Owners will get TWO RFA tags to be used whenever instead of one total. Once they are used, that's it.

The rest of the BIDDING rules will be in the BYOGM Spreadsheet. The main rules are still in the OP. Please bookmark this and have it open as often as you can, it will have all bidding information and roster updates posted there. The main page of the spreadsheet it will always have the rules pertaining to the next most important thing (bidding, draft, in season update stuff), but this thread's OP will always have all the rules.

:siren: BYOGM v.5 Spreadsheet :siren:

I will allow that link to be edited for every participant once this starts at 2 PM EST. Auctioned players will be posted in thread and in the sheet.

Until then, getting some sleep

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 2, 2019

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

For future years, how will waiving players work? Do you instantly clear their contract off your cap, or is it dead money like in real NBA?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

tanglewood1420 posted:

For future years, how will waiving players work? Do you instantly clear their contract off your cap, or is it dead money like in real NBA?

"RELEASING A PLAYER/WAIVERS - All released players will count against your salary cap for the length of their contracts unless claimed on waivers. Waivers will last for 2 days (48 hours), and the player can be picked up for their contract offered by their original team, and the original team will have their salary wiped of that player. However, if that player clears waivers and enters free agency, a team can offer that player an entirely new contract (with the same 4 hour no bid acquisition rules), and the salary of that player's original contract will still count against the original team for the remainder of his initial contract. (The waiver wire will work in inverse order of the standings at the time the player is released if more than one team puts in a claim.)"

So yeah, counts against your cap for the remainder of years unless claimed on waivers or traded.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for putting all this work into this again DBD, I'm ready to accomplish my true mission in life - become a middling fake-GM in an online keeper league.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
^^^This, thanks!

Just a suggestion to make things quicker and easier. Maybe you could list some of the players with a starting bid. Like Lebron and his ilk can start at $100 or more just to speed things up.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Will we have a tab in the spreadsheet that has all the players with their current contract years, just so we can keep tabs? I know a couple players have slipped through the cracks in years past.

My dumb question -- now that all players have current contract length, we're just bidding on value, which makes sense to me. But the $1000 hard cap is cumulative contract value, right? So if I have a player with a 3 year deal getting paid $50/year, that counts as $150 against the $1000 hard cap?

Also - I have a kid on the way in a couple weeks, so my brother is going to go-GM with me. Signed him up for an account, he'll probably pop in here at some point as awunderground.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I assume it's 1000 per year, and since the contacts don't escalate you'll always be below cap in subsequent years as long as you aren't above this year.

How will future FAs work with years? Random year length?

ItsMillerTime
Feb 2, 2019

Did not realize that you created an account (!). I created my own account with a much more appropriate name. Can't wait to bring Blue Collar and Gold Swagger to BYOGM.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Will we have a tab in the spreadsheet that has all the players with their current contract years, just so we can keep tabs? I know a couple players have slipped through the cracks in years past.

My dumb question -- now that all players have current contract length, we're just bidding on value, which makes sense to me. But the $1000 hard cap is cumulative contract value, right? So if I have a player with a 3 year deal getting paid $50/year, that counts as $150 against the $1000 hard cap?

Also - I have a kid on the way in a couple weeks, so my brother is going to go-GM with me. Signed him up for an account, he'll probably pop in here at some point as awunderground.

Yes.

No, it's $1000 per year. So if you sign a guy at $500, you're not paying $1,500 but $500 a year, which is still half of your cap.

And great!

Lockback posted:

How will future FAs work with years? Random year length?

Good question! Yeah, can just always go back to the original way with this next offseason. Same with any player that gets through waivers. However, any free agent not signed by any team yet still has to has to go by their real NBA contract. Same with draft picks, the rules won't change there. I'll write some rules afterwards that clear up how that will work.

Also all sim rating stuff in the future is subject to change, like the rating stuff is simply their ratings/potentials for this season, not the entire thing.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: THE BIDDING POST :siren:

Trae Young - 5 years // SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL 3.5/5
Kyle O'Quinn - 1 year // SIM RATING: 2/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 2/5
Cedi Osman - 3 years // SIM RATING: 2/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3/5
Terrence Ross - 1 year // SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 2.5/5
Kris Dunn - 3 years // SIM RATING: 3.0/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Jaylen Brown - 3 years SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Kevin Durant - 2 years SIM RATING: 4.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 4.5/5
Bradley Beal - 3 years SIM RATING: 3.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Karl-Anthony Towns - 5 years SIM RATING: 4.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 5/5

----------------> CHECK THE BYOGM SPREADSHEET FOR BIDDING UPDATES <--------------------

:siren: I also created a BYOGM Discord that people can join so we don't clutter this with regular posts while we're bidding.

Have fun!

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 2, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
80 ON TRAE

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I'll NOT start this off.

The Pelicans bid $10/1 year on Terrence Ross.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also, don't edit your posts, goes without saying.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Metapod posted:

80 ON TRAE

i guess i should say okc bids $80/5 years on Trae Young

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
$250/yr for Durant

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
KAT to Cavs for $150

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

The B_36 posted:

$250/yr for Durant

This is also a dumb question but for player option years on contracts we are just counting those?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
Guess I should clarify that as well:

The Hornets bid $250/2yrs for Kevin Durant ($500 total)

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Miami Heat bid

Kevin Durant $280/2yr

Karl Anthony Towns $150/5yr

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
You guys don't have to clarify the total amounts, as long as you realize you're bidding on money per year, not total money.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This is also a dumb question but for player option years on contracts we are just counting those?

They're built in. (Like KD, for example, he's yours for 2 years)

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Miami Heat raise bid on Karl Anthony Towns to $180/5yr

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

THE Toronto Raptors bid

$250/5yrs for Karl Anthony Towns

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
You can't bid on years, they are already stated in the contract terms. You probably know that and are making it official so:

The Cavs bid $300 for KAT for 5 years.

edited to see i was beat b4 i posted.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Heading to the store real quick (at the worst time), but I have the doc so you guys can edit it now. The format is how it is, should be self explanatory.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Celtics big 320/5 for KAT

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Deadbeat Dad posted:

:siren: THE BIDDING POST :siren:

Trae Young - 5 years // SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL 3.5/5
Kyle O'Quinn - 1 year // SIM RATING: 2/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 2/5
Cedi Osman - 3 years // SIM RATING: 2/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3/5
Terrence Ross - 1 year // SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 2.5/5
Kris Dunn - 3 years // SIM RATING: 3.0/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Jaylen Brown - 3 years SIM RATING: 2.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Kevin Durant - 2 years SIM RATING: 4.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 4.5/5
Bradley Beal - 3 years SIM RATING: 3.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 3.5/5
Karl-Anthony Towns - 5 years SIM RATING: 4.5/5 SIM POTENTIAL: 5/5

:siren: I also created a BYOGM Discord that people can join so we don't clutter this with regular posts while we're bidding.

Have fun!

260/5 years on KAT
20/3 years on Cedi
20/3 years on Jaylen
20/3 years on Beal
20/3 years on Dunn

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
330 on Kat

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

only bid 2 at a time

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
You can't bid on more than 2 players with the highest bid at once, Doltos.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
35/3 for Cedi

-Cavs

eta; 335 for KAT

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

THE Toronto Raptors:

50/3 for Brad Beal

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Deadbeat Dad posted:

You can't bid on more than 2 players with the highest bid at once, Doltos.

Im confused. So we can only bid on two players per day?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Doltos posted:

You can only have the highest bid on 2 players at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Doltos posted:

No, you can have the highest bid on two players. Once it is beaten, you can bid elsewhere.