Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Azza Bamboo posted:

As for this match: I could see that the pies were conserving their energy in the second quarter to make a push in the endgame, and why wouldn't you after coming out of the first quarter with such a lead? The Eagles just continually spun up their machine throughout the match. With the pies explosive start in the 4th quarter, I have no idea how you stuff that up. It looks like the pies can sprint well but can't quite go the full distance. There was a moment, however, when the Eagles five-points-down scored three consecutive behinds, leading me to wonder if their luck had turned sour or if they were planning on closing the gap one point at a time.

There were a few extra factors at play as well. AFL is a game which usually sees big swings in momentum through a game, as its difficult for most sides to maintain ascendancy across the entire team and the scoring style of goals vs behinds allows teams to make up ground quickly if they are able to make the most of their opportunities.

The spread of a side's talent will also dictate a lot, and the grand final had 2 almost opposite style sides lining up on each other. Collingwood have an elite midfield and ruckman which gave them an advantage through the ground against the Eagles, particularly in the first half where Luke Shuey was almost playing a lone hand through the middle to keep the Eagles in touch against Collingwood. However, Collingwood's offense and defence (forward line and back line) didn't have the same level of quality as the Eagles, particularly when talking about the key position players who are the big marking targets. Collingwood only really had Mason Cox as a marking target who is a guy very young in his career, whereas others like Brody Mihocek, Jaidyn Stephenson and Jordan De Goey are more mid-sized players who use work rate or agility to try and create scoring opportunities. When the Eagles were able to settle and win reliable possession through the game they were able to take a lot of the aerial contest away from Collingwood, and they won the contested marks count handily as a result.

Additionally, a lot of Collingwood's midfield supremacy was often countered by the Eagles key defenders in Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass who did an excellent job of stopping a lot of the incoming ball from Collingwood kicks, mainly off the back of them being to outbody the smaller Collingwood forwards to get into best position. Jeremy McGovern is probably the best key defender in the league and despite playing with internal bleeding and suffering cracked ribs during the game was nearly best on ground.

Collingwood's defence at the other end of the ground were very undersized against the Eagles as well, with Tyson Goldsack essentially their only genuine key defender, with Jeremy Howe and Tom Langdon (who had a fantastic game) having to stretch themselves to play against much bigger and taller opponents. It was really telling in the third quarter when the Eagles key forward Jack Darling was finally able to get his head into the game and make the most of his size and strength advantage over the remaining Collingwood defenders with Goldsack having to sit on Josh Kennedy all day.

So with all that it it was still a very even game, so it shows that having a high quality midfield covers a lot of cracks, which is why in the offseason Collingwood addressed their list deficiencies by... adding another high quality midfielder.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I like how opportunistic this game seems to be. While I love American Football's short tactical sprints and Rugby's gruelling war of attrition, this game appears to be completely bonkers and almost built to encourage the players to make bold opportunistic moves.

Yep, the 360 degrees factor comes into play with no offside rule etc, a lot of the time in modern football its like a basketball style of attack with fast breaks to catch the other team out when they haven't structured themselves properly, albeit with 18 players a side instead of 5, and it going back to a neutral ball after a goal is scored instead of possession going to the other team. Sometimes a team's structure will break down and they will look absolutely hopeless for 5-10 minutes and be scored against heavily (if you catch any Demons games this season they are prone to doing this a lot), before they're able to find their rhythm again. One of the key parts to success in the game is about being bold and attacking, but when it gets screwed up the side can look awful as a result. Brisbane spent a while last season trying to get this right so while their results weren't great they were actually a really fun team to watch. There's not really a 'safe' way to play footy, unless you're playing against a hopeless side like Gold Coast or Carlton. Fremantle coach Ross Lyon spent most of his career making his sides play heavily defensively focused football and it was the worst thing to watch, and while he made a few grand finals thankfully he never won any.

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a good sport to watch and I'm hopeful that my chosen team have something more to them than being my favourite animal. Is there anything I need to know about the Swans?

They're based in Sydney, which is not an AFL region so while they have a fairly solid following of die-hards they don't get the level of support any of the big Melbourne or Western/South Australian clubs get at home. They have an exceptionally stable coaching setup, with their current coach (who coached the Swans to a premiership in 2012) having taken over in an unconventional but successful handover from the previous coach (who coached the Swans to a premiership in 2005, their first in 70+ years). The Swans have barely missed the finals in the last 15 years, they've got a reliable and consistent development system and make the most out of their academy programs which can be a little controversial at times. They probably need some new key defenders coming through this upcoming season but other than that they have a fairly even spread of talent, with some of their young guys (Callum Mills and Isaac Heeney) both possessing proper A-grade talent and at least the latter should be taking the next step establish himself this season.

There's a few season/game highlights videos up on Youtube for Sydney from last season which might be worth watching to get to know the players etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Two Pies players just took each other out, one stayed down and is now being stretchered off. This is not great.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A good snaek :D

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Quality main egg by Collingwood there

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Official attendance: 18,429

Not bad, hopefully geelong gets a good following by the locals.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
pfwoah, collingwood really arsed that up

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah the pies had some good hand skills and came back well but it was not to be.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Welp I tipped the pies like a moron. Of course they'd lose the season opener, as is tradition.

Crows vs Bulldogs now, lets see how the doggies are when they're missing a whole load of gun players from last season.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't think I can overstate this enough, but Erin Phillips is 100% muscle

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

First free kick of the game an absolute shocker, umpire was blindsided, guessed, and got it incredibly wrong

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Run and handpass game is looking good this year

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Cats girls look great working off the backs of packs.. Still way too many shanks, really lets the forwards down.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Awful miss straight in front from Jones punished twice over by Brennan at the other end

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lmao there's an auskick game in front of me, all really young kids like 5 or 6, all two hands and no kick uncoordinated, except for one little boy who is running around everyone with poise and making these deft, sliding, sideways chip kicks like he's Stevie Johnson

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Lmao there's an auskick game in front of me, all really young kids like 5 or 6, all two hands and no kick uncoordinated, except for one little boy who is running around everyone with poise and making these deft, sliding, sideways chip kicks like he's Stevie Johnson

There's always one of them. I don't know how that happens.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Kid of a club coach normally, so always dragged to footy games.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

ewe2 posted:

There's always one of them. I don't know how that happens.

I saw one snag 15 goals once. Whole crowd was in awe.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Crows are going to want to start kicking it straight.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Welp. Kicking like that probably deserves a loss.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, doggies had some big players out, not sure what the crows excuse will be... they were both playing in the heat too.

Crows needed someone to sit at the top of the goalsquare and be a target, far far too many quick shots on goal when they should have gone with a centering kick.

Edit: https://womens.afl/ladder/2019

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 2, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

drunkill posted:

Yeah, doggies had some big players out, not sure what the crows excuse will be... they were both playing in the heat too.

We had more players missing than the Dogs, but mainly we lost because Eloise Jones butchered two of the easiest goals you'll ever get, on top of some poor decision making and too many turnovers.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Funny that both games ended up being a 1-point victory that definitely should have been at least a draw, except a player somehow missed everything from 10m out.

Shame to end up on the wrong side of that one, but I did enjoy the game. Definitely two very different game styles. Good to see Ebony Marinoff back to her 2017 form! Just needed some of her teammates to step up. The Crows women seem to have an abundance of players who are good at getting to the ball but have absolutely no disposal skills. All they're good at is winning it and blindly bustling it forward, regardless of whether a teammate is there to receive it or not.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Crows needed someone to sit at the top of the goalsquare and be a target, far far too many quick shots on goal when they should have gone with a centering kick.

Edit: https://womens.afl/ladder/2019

That seems to be Chloe Scheer's role. She took a couple of nice marks and converted one of them, but unfortunately butchered the second. I do like her though, she's one of the very few players in the Crows side who seems to be a quality kick.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

That seems to be Chloe Scheer's role. She took a couple of nice marks and converted one of them, but unfortunately butchered the second. I do like her though, she's one of the very few players in the Crows side who seems to be a quality kick.

The second wasn't really a butcher, it was a tough shot from deep in the pocket that just drifted across the face. Eloise Jones shanked a poster from straight out in front, then kicked a point under no pressure in the pocket when she had a team mate unmarked in the goal square with no Bulldog in the same postcode. I was right down the line of all three, standing in the pocket at the grandstand end.

Ailish Considine was a surprisingly good long kick, but she handpasses like someone from Ireland. Likes the rough stuff too, good pick up.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The second wasn't really a butcher, it was a tough shot from deep in the pocket that just drifted across the face. Eloise Jones shanked a poster from straight out in front, then kicked a point under no pressure in the pocket when she had a team mate unmarked in the goal square with no Bulldog in the same postcode. I was right down the line of all three, standing in the pocket at the grandstand end.

Ailish Considine was a surprisingly good long kick, but she handpasses like someone from Ireland. Likes the rough stuff too, good pick up.

Yeah, fair call, it wasn't a butcher to miss the goal. It was more that we really needed to score at all, and not registering a score was really damaging given the state of the game.

I agree, Jones had some bad moments in front of goal. She's got potential but it's not there yet.

Considine had some great moments, that intercept she made was top class. Kicks it very nicely.

Also, I have a new candidate for worst Bigfooty opinion ever, someone who claimed that they don't like the women's comp but would be interested if they played under AFLX rules.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Eloise Jones had the mark, she could have taken a few steps back and gone for a much easier shot at the goal but instead played on.

While I ended up on the right side of this tip, I do think the Crows looked like the stronger team here. It just happened that the Crows didn't seem to have a strong forward excepting Sheer, which plays well into the Dogs phenomenal back two lines this match.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Azza Bamboo posted:

Eloise Jones had the mark, she could have taken a few steps back and gone for a much easier shot at the goal but instead played on.

While I ended up on the right side of this tip, I do think the Crows looked like the stronger team here. It just happened that the Crows didn't seem to have a strong forward excepting Sheer, which plays well into the Dogs phenomenal back two lines this match.

Previously our two best forwards have been Erin Phillips, and Sarah Perkins. Phillips is so drat good you need her everywhere, so played a lot of midfield; Perkins missed because she's still coming back from injury. On top of that our next two best forwards have been Ruth Wallace, who is missing this season for personal reasons, and Jenna McCormick, who seemed to be playing midfield and defence. It was a makeshift forward line, really.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

cmndstab posted:

The Crows women seem to have an abundance of players who are good at getting to the ball but have absolutely no disposal skills. All they're good at is winning it and blindly bustling it forward, regardless of whether a teammate is there to receive it or not.

Cant wait for the salt when they all collectively go back to moggs creek

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Erin has a kid on the way. Does that affect her ability to play at this early stage? I know very little about this.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

Erin has a kid on the way. Does that affect her ability to play at this early stage? I know very little about this.

I had assumed her partner was carrying again like with the twins. I don’t know that you could play a full contact sport at any stage of pregnancy tbh

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Cant wait for the salt when they all collectively go back to moggs creek

Yes, Dangerfield was in my mind when I wrote that description too, haha.

Fortunately most of our players are locals so we can look forward to many more years of then burning the ball for us!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I had assumed her partner was carrying again like with the twins. I don’t know that you could play a full contact sport at any stage of pregnancy tbh

Yes, her wife is carrying again.

You could play at very early stages of pregnancy but generally by the time you're announcing the first trimester is basically over and you wouldn't want to from then.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Hmm... I don't think so.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Watts doing Jack Watts things

https://www.facebook.com/afltraderumours/videos/797874377240099/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Davey should be in the backline, shes useless if they cant get the ball to her up forward.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
eh Blues not showing much depth or capacity in the midfield...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Love both our teams ability to leak goals in time on, it's just great.

Also both teams are going to be dead at the end of this game.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Its always windy at casey and very hot right now, so yeah they might die.

Disappointing outing for carlton, I don't know why davey is being played forward when since last season we've lost Gillespie-Jones and Danielle Hardiman (to North, they both had a good game) and Maddison Gay to Melbourne. What do we do? take the only remaining backline anchor Davey out and put her forward where the ball wasn't getting to her.

I think north will be finalist and probably grand finalists given the list they have, it is a really stacked team.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

It’s bizarre to me that they don’t have an extended bench when it’s 39 degrees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They do, the bench is 5 in the aflw (plus 2 emergencies) but it should be 6, let the women have a best 22 not a best 21. If the competition moves to winter in a few years then the bench can be reduced.

Also 4,896 at North Hobart, not bad for a hot day when half the state is burning down, also the fact it was two melbourne teams and only a tangible connection to tasmania via north.