Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doh004 posted:

While I don't agree with the notion of "having" to work with others in order to feel you're doing it the right way, I'd suggest you jump into some open source projects out there and start picking up small issues that they've identified - GitHub is great for this. The good ones will list out guidelines on how to contribute and just do it.

You'll get exposure to what it's like to code socially and what it takes to work with another. You'll pick up what works well (or what doesn't) as well as eventually coming to the determination that we're all still figuring things out and are always looking for "the right way".

On top of those reasons - it really makes you look good to an employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Careful Drums posted:

On top of those reasons - it really makes you look good to an employer.

Contributing to open source was part of why I got hired at my first dev job after being self-taught.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
That's a good advice, it just seems way out of reach of my abilitiy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Related, would love advice about how to find open source projects to contribute to.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Fool posted:

Related, would love advice about how to find open source projects to contribute to.
There's this list: https://github.com/MunGell/awesome-for-beginners But it feels like it'd take me weeks or more of trying to understand codebase to make any change in any of those projects.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 27, 2019

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Forgall posted:

There's this list: https://github.com/MunGell/awesome-for-beginners But it feels like it'd take me weeks or more of trying to understand codebase to make any change in any of those projects.

So pick one and start getting familiar with it. Day by day. Just like anything else.

No more excuses.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Forgall posted:

You know what you have to do at jobs? Demonstrate that you can understand large, existing codebases.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Gildiss posted:

So pick one and start getting familiar with it. Day by day. Just like anything else.

No more excuses.
If I manage to sort out my mental health I'll give it a go.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You know what you have to do at jobs? Demonstrate that you can understand large, existing codebases.
Yeah that's fair.

I suppose putting some things I've made for fun on github wouldn't hurt, even if they are dumb?

Forgall fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 27, 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Forgall posted:

Don't start by reading the codebase, start by picking a smallish bug/feature to fix/add. That way you have a point you can start from, which makes understanding how a piece of code works much easier.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

There are a few good ways to start, here is another article adding a few good points:
https://medium.com/@mlvandijk/collaborating-on-open-source-645231f4ecef

(disclaimer: written by my SO)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Forgall posted:

That's a good advice, it just seems way out of reach of my abilitiy.
You are much more capable than you give yourself credit and the only way to get better is by doing it more.

Forgall posted:

I suppose putting some things I've made for fun on github wouldn't hurt, even if they are dumb?

100% this, put it up there. Another tip:

Go out and make your own blog - there's a reason why it's every first tutorial - and do it in a technology/framework/service/infrastructure that you'd want to learn more about. I did this several months back so that I could learn React and GatsbyJS: https://github.com/BayPhillips/gatsby-blog . It's a stupid website that no one cares about, but it got me into a bunch of new tech (AWS, Serverless, Lambdas), got me to start helping contribute to a huge open source project that's really popular now and have I have a stupidly fast website out of it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Forgall posted:

If I manage to sort out my mental health I'll give it a go.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I suspect you're doing something I do more often than I'd like: look for excuses why I shouldn't have to do something. That's a recipe for never actually doing anything. Plus I can practically guarantee that working on something like this will help your mental health. Brains like working and accomplishing things. So I'd say: don't worry about whether you should or shouldn't do it and just do it. Once you've done it, then you can look back and decide whether it was worthwhile.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I doubt anyone wants to explain to a prospective employer what the Something Awful Forums are, so this is probably not very useful, but: I’m always more than happy to help anyone interested in contributing to the Awful iOS app. Doesn’t matter how basic the questions are. And the Awful Android app crew are pretty nice if that’s more your style. Both projects are up on GitHub and have threads in IYG, so post (or PM) away if that sounds interesting.

It might not make it to your portfolio, but it might get your ability and/or confidence to the next step? At least it fits the bill of a convoluted, years-old codebase! And your efforts will be appreciated by a few thousand goons.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I found it really hard to just 'get into some open source development'. The work that I have contributed has all been from bugs I've ran into myself or features that I wanted to exist. My advice is to not go searching for an open source thing to work on -- do stuff that seems interesting/fun and then work on the open source things that come up while doing that.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Doh004 posted:

You are much more capable than you give yourself credit and the only way to get better is by doing it more.

100% this, put it up there. Another tip:

Go out and make your own blog - there's a reason why it's every first tutorial - and do it in a technology/framework/service/infrastructure that you'd want to learn more about. I did this several months back so that I could learn React and GatsbyJS: https://github.com/BayPhillips/gatsby-blog . It's a stupid website that no one cares about, but it got me into a bunch of new tech (AWS, Serverless, Lambdas), got me to start helping contribute to a huge open source project that's really popular now and have I have a stupidly fast website out of it.
Cool, I recently made a slack app for my own use (it converts video links on streaming websites into direct stream urls so I can open them in video player on my tablet, and I've been changing it to run on lambda instead of heroku. What is that project you are contributing to if you don't mind me asking?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I suspect you're doing something I do more often than I'd like: look for excuses why I shouldn't have to do something.
That might be an excuse but right now I literally can't keep any food down.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 27, 2019

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Forgall posted:

Cool, I recently made a slack app for my own use (it converts video links on streaming websites into direct stream urls so I can open them in video player on my tablet, and I've been changing it to run on lambda instead of heroku. What is that project you are contributing to if you don't mind me asking?

That might be an excuse but right now I literally can't keep any food down.

Gatsby! https://www.gatsbyjs.org/

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Interesting, maybe I also can contribute. I don't have pms, but maybe you could drop me an email at vega234755 at gmail.com if you like, so I could ask you questions about that later?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

taqueso posted:

I found it really hard to just 'get into some open source development'. The work that I have contributed has all been from bugs I've ran into myself or features that I wanted to exist. My advice is to not go searching for an open source thing to work on -- do stuff that seems interesting/fun and then work on the open source things that come up while doing that.

Doesn't even necessarily need to be open source. I found a relatively weird bug in an application I use regularly and just got interested in *why* it existed. So I decompiled the (.NET) binaries and just read through the code to identify the bug and a potential fix - with citations to class/method names and the like. I also left a little note saying I was looking for opportunities abroad. A few weeks later a hiring manager reached out to see what I meant by that and ask for my resume and kind of kick of a mini-interview process.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cuntpunch posted:

Doesn't even necessarily need to be open source. I found a relatively weird bug in an application I use regularly and just got interested in *why* it existed. So I decompiled the (.NET) binaries and just read through the code to identify the bug and a potential fix - with citations to class/method names and the like. I also left a little note saying I was looking for opportunities abroad. A few weeks later a hiring manager reached out to see what I meant by that and ask for my resume and kind of kick of a mini-interview process.

That's awesome.

Another anecdote on this order - a friend in University was getting 5x more internship/co-op offers than his peers (including me) the cause was that he has developed UI mods for World of Warcraft. (This was 2008)

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hell yes I get to travel this week for interviews, this week of record-setting cold wind chills in MI, the exact kinf of thing I want to work remote for!

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just occurred to me, I should brush up on employment law in other states. Does anyone know any resources for such a thing?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Careful Drums posted:

Just occurred to me, I should brush up on employment law in other states. Does anyone know any resources for such a thing?

Legal questions thread can probably help.

What do you do to find remote jobs? I've mostly been using https://www.workingnomads.co/jobs

manero
Jan 30, 2006

LLSix posted:

Legal questions thread can probably help.

What do you do to find remote jobs? I've mostly been using https://www.workingnomads.co/jobs

https://weworkremotely.com is fairly decent.. I'd love to know what other people are using!

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Most of my hits have been word of mouth/old co-workers, SO, and weworkremotely.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Is there irc channel or slack or something for folks from around this thread/subforum?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The closest thing to a "dream job" bit back on my application from last week during an application spray. This, while good and exciting, puts a damper on things because I'll likely have a good offer in-hand before I even get to a phone screen. It's a small startup, maybe I can get through their hiring process quickly enough to get a competing offer to make a good decision. I say "dream job" because it's a company in the education space and I am very about teaching others. I'd have been a teacher instead of a programmer if I didn't also want to get paid.

Forgall posted:

Is there irc channel or slack or something for folks from around this thread/subforum?

There's one posted in the rules sticky. IDK what it's like there though, I'm not enough of a greybeard for IRC and not enough of a millenial for non-work Slack/Discord/Whatever.

Q: How can I waste even more time talking with you guys?
A: Point your IRC client to #cobol on irc.synirc.net. You can connect without installing anything using Mibbit.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Careful Drums posted:

I say "dream job" because it's a company in the education space and I am very about teaching others. I'd have been a teacher instead of a programmer if I didn't also want to get paid.

I’ve not heard good things about the education sector. What is it about the job specifically that is interesting or exciting, besides it being related to education?

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve not heard good things about the education sector. What is it about the job specifically that is interesting or exciting, besides it being related to education?

Apart from being a company seeking to educate people that needs programmers in the stack I'm most experienced with, and looks likely to be able to pay the huge loving salary I'm asking for? Nothing. I'm just going off the website (https://degreed.com/). I haven't even done a phone screen yet. But the phone screen is with the Director of Engineering so I'd hope I can learn a lot quickly from that call next week.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Forgall posted:

There’s an irc and a discord but gently caress if I know the invites for either.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm not a developer but have worked as a Project Manager on web and mobile projects for the better part of a decade, initially for a big corporation building internal tools and more recently at a maker-type agency with engineers, developers and designers. I'm hoping to make the transition to Product Management as I feel it has a better long-term career path and I've already had a decent amount of experience handling a lot of the responsibilities of a Product Manager (roadmapping, writing requirements, managing stakeholders, etc). I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I was hoping maybe someone could point me to some good resources for honing my skills or even recommend some good reading materials or a course I could take. Most of the companies I've worked with haven't really cared that much for certifications and I'm ideally looking to work for a company with their own products rather than agency-side but I'm certainly not ruling out going off and getting certified on my own if it makes me a better candidate. I don't have any programming experience (at least not since I switched out of a CS degree many years ago) but I understand the SDLC pretty well and have plenty of experience with managing Agile projects in JIRA and other tools.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
I was fortunate enough to get some feedback on one interview I was passed over on, for a JavaScript engineer. They recommended I brush up on my data structures / algorithm chops. Are there any online courses anyone can recommend in that arena that may be particularly helpful?

They also recommended to read "Cracking the Coding Interview", which I took as a bad sign in the end. I've heard that book is notoriously just a cram manual for getting a job at the Big 5. Though, if anyone here can recommended it as helping them personally I'd take that advice to heart as well.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
HackerRank can be good. Cracking The Coding Interview is great and can be good practice for most of the hoops companies will want you to jump through.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Seconding HackerRank for targeted topics like that.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

GeorgieMordor posted:

They also recommended to read "Cracking the Coding Interview", which I took as a bad sign in the end. I've heard that book is notoriously just a cram manual for getting a job at the Big 5. Though, if anyone here can recommended it as helping them personally I'd take that advice to heart as well.

That’s exactly what it is, and most other tech firms wish they were the big five, so it helps with them too. It’s not bad at what it does. The reality is that tech interviews these days are usually minute variations on the same particular examination gauntlet, and studying to the test is sadly effective.

I just had what passes for job interview now where the first two questions out of the guy’s mouth were “Do you know what a prime number is?” and “Can you give the mathematical definition of it?”

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

GeorgieMordor posted:

I was fortunate enough to get some feedback on one interview I was passed over on, for a JavaScript engineer. They recommended I brush up on my data structures / algorithm chops. Are there any online courses anyone can recommend in that arena that may be particularly helpful?

CtCI is highly recommended for preparing for data structures/algorithms interviews. You can argue whether or not those types of interviews are worthwhile or not, but CtCI is the gold standard for preparing for them

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It's not even close to the eye-rollingest of the games you'll have to play when you're an employee of a business, either - at least it's still technically programming.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Is whiteboard coding a common thing now or is it mostly at big tech companies? I've never encountered it and I don't think I could do that not matter how much I prepare.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Forgall posted:

Is whiteboard coding a common thing now or is it mostly at big tech companies? I've never encountered it and I don't think I could do that not matter how much I prepare.

no recruiter, etc. will ever flat out say that they're going to be doing a whiteboard interview - they'll use euphemisms like "technical" interview. then you show up and they make you do gross poo poo to linked lists on a whiteboard.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Forgall posted:

I think it is more common at SV-like tech companies than companies in other industries that have software people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think it is more common at SV-like tech companies than companies in other industries that have software people.
I don't have smarts or ambition to work at one of those anyway so that's good to hear.