Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm on the fence about that one since I know without question that I'll end up going on a book hunt spree tracking down paperbacks. Oh Leisure horror books, you ate up so many of my paychecks back in the day....

Leisure Horror shutting down was a sad sad day, just getting an endless supply of Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum and Brian Keene books from them made it worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hell yeah. Four is not great but I think five brought it back around. As much as I’d like to see more it was a fitting end to the series.

I loved all the Final Destination films and would love to see more too, but yeah, they ended on a good note.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Leisure Horror shutting down was a sad sad day, just getting an endless supply of Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum and Brian Keene books from them made it worth the money.

Like how some buy comic books practically in bulk, I was like that with Leisure Horror. The Waldenbooks I regularly went to used to joke I bought them by the pound.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Velvet Buzzsaw was disappointing as hell :smith: Nightcrawler is still one of my favorite movies of the decade, but I'm convinced that was a fluke from Dan Gilroy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
No, Roman J. Israel, Esq. was good, too.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I adore Nightcrawler. It’s one of my favorite movies. Velvet Buzzsaw was a big ol’ stinker. What a bummer.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I haven't watched it yet, but friends that have told me it's a lot more of a comedy and art world parody than a horror, which is fine by me. Roman J. Israel, Esq. was good and Nightcrawler was fantastic, so even if Velvet Buzzsaw is bad I'm not going to write off Dan Gilroy.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

theres really no such thing as bad jake gylenhaal i mean have you seen prisoners man

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Det. Loki 4 lyfe

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

No, Roman J. Israel, Esq. was good, too.
Not from what I remember!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The Scary Stories illustration of the girl with the spider babies in her face haunts me to this day.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I keep meaning to pick up copies of the Scary Stories books with the Gammell art, but so far all I seem to find are the reprints with the other guy's art.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't imagine any Scary Stories movie with Harold in it not being rated at least PG-13 and maybe even R.

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009
Much like Hold the Dark, Velvet Buzzsaw is clearly the director's weakest film, but still good. The film suffers a lot from the ensemble; I get trying to lean on the strong cast, but none of them are given enough to do, and it feels like the audience misses key relationship developments that occur offscreen in exchange for a rotating spotlight of tangents (Malkovich being the most egregious offender). It probably would have been better for Gilroy to hew the film closer to Morph's perspective to provide some semblance of emotional structure, not unlike what he did with his earlier films, but I can see why he would want to break away from his own formula.

Some of this might be on me, though. The movie throws you headfirst into the art scene in a really alienating manner, and it felt like a lot of important exposition in the first 5-10 minutes just bounced off me. If you're already familiar with all of that, you'll probably get a lot more out of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

M_Sinistrari posted:

I keep meaning to pick up copies of the Scary Stories books with the Gammell art, but so far all I seem to find are the reprints with the other guy's art.

I can't wait for the remake with that other guy's art... and the Harry Potter font.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I can't imagine any Scary Stories movie with Harold in it not being rated at least PG-13 and maybe even R.

Do we know the rating? It should be straight R, I mean, the books were relevant to kids who are adults now so why the hell not?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I can't wait for the remake with that other guy's art... and the Harry Potter font.

Do we know the rating? It should be straight R, I mean, the books were relevant to kids who are adults now so why the hell not?

To replicate the effect the book had it should be wildly grotesque and violent, be rated G, and should be in the children’s section.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

M_Sinistrari posted:

Check your used book stores. They did a collected trilogy reprint with the original art a couple of years before the re-release with the new illustrations. I picked it up the second I spotted it, and have only grown to cherish it more as time goes on.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LesterGroans posted:

Det. Loki 4 lyfe

In a better timeline we would already have a series of novels about his adventures

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but friends that have told me it's a lot more of a comedy and art world parody than a horror, which is fine by me. Roman J. Israel, Esq. was good and Nightcrawler was fantastic, so even if Velvet Buzzsaw is bad I'm not going to write off Dan Gilroy.

Yeah I enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw a ton and was laughing almost every scene.

I do think the kill with the creeping paint was underwhelming but it also served a thematic purpose so I rolled with it.

It's not as good as Nightcrawler but definitely a good time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

Check your used book stores. They did a collected trilogy reprint with the original art a couple of years before the re-release with the new illustrations. I picked it up the second I spotted it, and have only grown to cherish it more as time goes on.

Hell yeah, it should be pretty easy to find as IIRC it was in Barnes & Noble's $5 zone for a long time so it should still be pretty easy to get.

I should re-read those, I got the compilation ASAP but haven't touched it in a long time. I remember the illustration of the ghost woman with no eyes freaking me out the most as a kid.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

The used bookstores by me aren't what they used to be. Only big chain left that handles used with new books is PageOne which used to be good but got head up it's rear end pretentious over the years. I picked up my original ending copy of Off Season from there years back and now the horror section is mostly supernatural erotica. Cookbook section's gone from a nice selection of vintage books to predominantly raw food/superfood vegan stuff. The indie stores aren't much better. I figure worst case scenario, I'll just do the 'borrow book from the library, report it lost, and pay for it' route.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Bam, took me like 5 seconds: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/sc...ASABEgKE5PD_BwE

Less then $5 per book in one collection, brand new.

e: Just rewatched The People Under the Stairs today, and I'm glad I did because holy poo poo that movie rules. I wasn't even sure that I'd seen it before when it first started because none of it felt familiar to me, but there were one or two little moments where I remembered seeing it before. And this whole time I thought it was the story of some orphan kid who went to stay with an eccentric couple, that's how little I remembered. But no, it's this whole big anti-landlord story and it's still relevant today. If there's one or two of you here who haven't seen it, seriously go loving watch it it's great. And Big Ed and Nadine Hurley are the bad guys, and they're amazing.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 3, 2019

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Wes Craven Top 3

Nightmare on Elm Street
People under the Stairs
Scream

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

People Under The Stairs fuckin' owns and I'm glad people have been talking about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drunkboxer posted:

To replicate the effect the book had it should be wildly grotesque and violent, be rated G, and should be in the children’s section.

This would be perfection.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hills have Eyes
Nightmare
Serpent and the Rainbow

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Tolkien and Hollis you're both half-right, but you don't have the full picture. It's:

Nightmare
People Under the Stairs
Hills Have Eyes

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Wes Craven Top 3

Nightmare on Elm Street
People under the Stairs
Scream

If we're gonna do this, this is the list I agree with.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Wes Craven Top 3 (in no order)

Nightmare on Elm Street
People under the Stairs
Hills Have Eyes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Wes Craven Top 3

Scream
Shocker
The Serpent and the Rainbow

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street
People under the Stairs
Hills Have Eyes

Pretty good with both this list and this order, tbh

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street
People under the Stairs
Hills Have Eyes

This is true, except there is an order, and it’s the reverse of what you posted.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

This is true, except there is an order, and it’s the reverse of what you posted.

If I had to ordee them itd be people is #1 and probably HHE as #2 but its more like its tied with Nightmare

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Jedit posted:

Shocker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNdIyCtGSQ

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Velvet Buzzsaw is kind of a lesser giallo movie. It's got some good kills and some good acting moments (Toni Colette and Jake Gyllenhaal have some great chemistry), but overall it's just decent. It doesn't have any particularly insightful social criticism, but I think that's for the better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The arm getting torn off was pretty good but that was like the one good part of that whole movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The arm getting torn off was pretty good but that was like the one good part of that whole movie.

It could have easily been done practically and it would have been way, way better

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Thinking about Velvet Buzzsaw as a long Tale from the Crypt episode has softened my stance on it, but I’m not sure that’s what they were going for, or that’s just how it turned out.

Like it’s definitely an interesting premise and they got a ridiculously awesome cast but the execution didn’t match. Less than the sum of its parts, I guess.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Friend told me to watch this two minute clip Cop Cam on Amazon Prime. It was basic as gently caress, a waste of two minutes but I am interested in stuff like this. Any recs for short horror experiences? Doesn't have to be a couple of minutes, could be half an hour or even an hour. I was a big fan of that Cyprus Canyon radio show for instance.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Which Last Drive-In episodes are essential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

escape artist posted:

Which Last Drive-In episodes are essential?

All of them are pretty fantastic but honestly you should really watch the TCM one because he knows so much about that film its ridiculous.