Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Could just be my perception but I found the boss fights harder with Leon than Claire - and Claire as my first one. Maybe it’s the adaptive difficulty in play as I finished Leon’s run in half the time and took a lot less damage

https://twitter.com/setzeri/status/992788613778821120

I'm pretty sure adaptive difficulty was disproven; every zombo has an individual amount of HP specified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

kamiya took more time than i did :eyepop: but we both got the same rank, i suspect C is the lowest? anywho, its been nice watching his uploads of the game.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1091767464159993857

He probably spent a lot of that time trying to air juggle zombies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

kamiya took more time than i did :eyepop: but we both got the same rank, i suspect C is the lowest? anywho, its been nice watching his uploads of the game.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1091767464159993857

lol what a noob

codo27 posted:

Been trying to kneecap zambonis but I find it's a waste of ammo because they still crawl at you. I gotta practice my dodging I guess.

They are much, much easier to dodge when they're crawling.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kibayasu posted:

They are much, much easier to dodge when they're crawling.

Legged zombies also can’t go through doors.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Am I imagining things or is the fight against Birkin 2 pretty poo poo for design?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dewgy posted:

94 saves!? How??? :stare:

watching the videos hes put on his twitter, he seemed absolutely terrified and basically slow walked his way through the game constantly aiming. :allears:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1091749133260533760

"Wait a minute... If you think you can see the legs from behind the door, it's a wheel.
I'm scared of anything and everything... "

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Am I imagining things or is the fight against Birkin 2 pretty poo poo for design?

It's straight forward but for a lot of people's first time it isn't very clear

Send crane away > stun Birkin in the middle area of the platform by shooting him repeatedly > send crane back

There's a stat on REnet where the overwhelming majority of people also got merked by the crane on their first time lol

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I'm pretty sure adaptive difficulty was disproven; every zombo has an individual amount of HP specified.

I was under the impression adaptive difficulty affected resources (I.e. quantity of ammo in a given pickup) than enemy health.

Could be totally wrong of course, too much misinformation out there.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Its weird to me that OG RE2 is the one Kamiya directed.

Like if I didn't know any better and you asked me to guess which RE game it was that Kamiya directed, RE4 is the one I would have guessed.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Raxivace posted:

Its weird to me that OG RE2 is the one Kamiya directed.

Like if I didn't know any better and you asked me to guess which RE game it was that Kamiya directed, RE4 is the one I would have guessed.

well, he was technically doing re4 before he turned into dmc. plus mikami was still there so its a bit of both.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

There could still potentially be some fuckery with some of the more scripting heavy zombies?

For example, the "dead body" in a ceiling at the West Storage. I did some experimenting with spite.

While it's in the ceiling. two shotgun shells to drop it to the floor, then a 3rd to pulp it.

Rewind: I lost track of how many handgun bullets to drop to the floor and then, EVENTUALLY, destroy the head.

Rewind: Just play through "Regular". Takes a shotgun blast to the face like a champ and I end up knifing it. It then follows me into the library, and 24 consecutive handgun headshots + 7 shotgun shells did not destroy it's skull (Even if it had long since fallen over for a nap)

Rewind: Start slashing at the dangling body with a 1/4 durability knife until it breaks against their floored one armed one legged body. Two shotgun shells to destroy the head.

Rewind: Shoot it's stuck in the ceiling leg with a handgun 5 times to make it fall down. Shoot it in the head once with a shotgun. No more skull.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 2, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

I don't see any advantage Claire has over Leon in any scenario. Ignoring magnums, the shotgun and flamethrower and the occasional panic knife or grenade are literally all you ever need for a boss and way more than enough for anything you between bosses.

Claire has a couple of advantages in the RPD due to having the heart key, like a safer path back to the basement and never having to revisit the west-hallway deathtrap.

They did screw her over with her arsenal, although some of the problem is that she has more weapons without immediately obvious merits. The SMG is terrible without its mods and feels worthless if you're still stuck in a "kill everything" mode from other games; her two revolvers are finicky compared to any semiautomatic; and even the grenade launcher falls off dramatically as you reach harder difficulties.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If a zombie drops on the first round you've put into its head after it's stood back up, it's actually dead in my experience. Even if the head doesn't pop.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's straight forward but for a lot of people's first time it isn't very clear

Send crane away > stun Birkin in the middle area of the platform by shooting him repeatedly > send crane back
Oh I know how it works, this is my third time through. It's just that the arena itself just seems ridiculously tight given his loving reach; no matter how I try baiting and juking him I just get slapped around and have to use several healing items until he gets hosed off by the cargo container. The whole section, including the switch room and his stint of punching holes in the ceiling, is a bit of a black mark on the game for me. It just doesn't sit right compared to the other bosses.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's a stat on REnet where the overwhelming majority of people also got merked by the crane on their first time lol
:catstare:

How?? It seems pretty obvious to me that you should be out of the way of that thing, what with all the warning lights and whatnot..?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

A zed that isn't really down seems to always respond to taking damage. If it doesn't react, it's actually down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

How?? It seems pretty obvious to me that you should be out of the way of that thing, what with all the warning lights and whatnot..?

It happened to me because I got grabbed by him while trying to get out of its way. Jerk killed us both.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i got hit by it a few times, that first time mainly because i was out of bullets, didnt see the ones left there because i had hud turned off and i was trying to lure him to the other end before the crane hit but sometimes he would grab me and we'd both get it, or i mistimed things. :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Seems like adaptive difficulty could gently caress with your damage output rather than monster health.

Mistiming attempts to get Birkin to stay in the danger zone if you didn't stun him properly.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Also sheer panic, something the denizens of RE2 are very good at making you feel at seemingly random times

This lose-your-cool panic factor is something a lot of other survival horror games lack and it makes RE2R a classic imo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

If a zombie drops on the first round you've put into its head after it's stood back up, it's actually dead in my experience. Even if the head doesn't pop.
That makes perfect sense. I'm just so used to "Anything with a head will be ready for round 3", unless the head explodes on the 2nd or 3rd pistol headshot.

While logically "If they don't react anymore, it must be DEAD dead". I've been made paranoid by cases of damage checking corpses only for them to revive later, Like the cop zombie who takes a dive over the railing above the darkroom. Even though those are clearly cases of event triggers and not "What if they get back up :tinfoil:"

More importantly though? An exploded head is much more SATISFYING. Which was true for the original games where shooting a zombie in the shoulder enough times gets the job done the first time.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Also sheer panic, something the denizens of RE2 are very good at making you feel at seemingly random times

This lose-your-cool panic factor is something a lot of other survival horror games lack and it makes RE2R a classic imo

Yeah, I've found myself flailing in a corner sometimes or even missing shots from it. Or using stuff I can't afford to use because I'm not thinking about an hour from now, I'm thinking about 'jesus gently caress get off me!'

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Does the B run remove most of the item boxes? Obviously the one in the main hall is gone, but I’ve canvassed most of RPD at this point and I think I’ve only found one? I have or have access to most of the items needed to blast through this place, but, I can’t carry poo poo.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The main hall item box is the only one that disappears.

Theres the dark room, the watchman's room(?) above the basement, the one below the statue, and the one in the chiefs office (if claire) or in the pump house or whatever the gently caress that building is that you get to from the roof (if leon)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/SantanaelChan/status/1089283996641648647

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The crane also has a deceptively huge range. I got pasted because I thought you could run to the other side but it turns out only the button area is safe.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The crane is also annoying because if you don't stun him, he starts trying to grab you and then the crane hits both of you and it a difficult to avoid grab.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are the REmake port difficulties different from the original GC version? I started on the hardest available and Jill dies in two zombie bites, I don't remember it being that difficult originally. Unless I only ever played it on the lower ones....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Are the REmake port difficulties different from the original GC version? I started on the hardest available and Jill dies in two zombie bites, I don't remember it being that difficult originally. Unless I only ever played it on the lower ones....

Theybadded an easier difficulty, the hardest available is Normal, and then they unlock Hard. Jill has very little health just generally

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

blackguy32 posted:

The crane is also annoying because if you don't stun him, he starts trying to grab you and then the crane hits both of you and it a difficult to avoid grab.

CJacobs posted:

It happened to me because I got grabbed by him while trying to get out of its way. Jerk killed us both.

Vikar Jerome posted:

i got hit by it a few times, that first time mainly because i was out of bullets, didnt see the ones left there because i had hud turned off and i was trying to lure him to the other end before the crane hit but sometimes he would grab me and we'd both get it, or i mistimed things. :shrug:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mistiming attempts to get Birkin to stay in the danger zone if you didn't stun him properly.
Oh poo poo, I didn't even realise he could grab! Now it makes sense. I've been lucking out this whole time, now I feel pretty dumb about that :v:

Mindblast posted:

A zed that isn't really down seems to always respond to taking damage. If it doesn't react, it's actually down.
Try telling that to the bald fucker in the lab cafeteria. Riddled the bastard with SMG rounds after he spooked me, then I stabbed at him a few times just to be sure he was dead. No reaction, all's good. Jogged on my merry way to upgrade Ol' Sparky and whoops guess who sprung back to his feet as I passed by again! Oddly, he chased me all the way to the door back into the lab entrance, and seeing as I'd be coming back this way later for another reward I decided to go and finish him off permanently... but he'd apparently vanished once the door shut. I mean literally just loving vanished from the game. I actually went hunting for the fucker so he couldn't jump me later on after I'd forgot about him, but he's already gone without a trace :magical:

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope, they all seem the same to me. Jill is incredibly fragile on Hard, and I might be wrong on this point but I could swear blind that zombies that grab you from behind do more damage (and can't be defended against either, just to rub it in).

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Man, Hardcore 2nd run's time requirement is really strict. I went as fast as I could and still only managed 2:06. I guess I have to actually plan a run instead of winging it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SettingSun posted:

Man, Hardcore 2nd run's time requirement is really strict. I went as fast as I could and still only managed 2:06. I guess I have to actually plan a run instead of winging it.

All this talk of two hours and I'm just here marvelling at the environments. I don't think I'll ever get S+, or at least certainly not any time soon. I simply adore the game's atmosphere too much right now (especially the RPD) to just rush on by everything.

One question though, what's Claire's second-best option against all the vegetable men in the lab? I don't want to waste the obviously-best flame rounds because I think I'll need them for Birkin 3 if my fairly sad resistance on a previous run was anything to go by, but at the same time I want these fuckers dead so I can backtrack with impunity.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you want the Ivy's dead, you gotta him em with a flame round. You get a ton really, you can spare a few to take out the plant men.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
G-mutants suck and are making me want to not play. You need to waste ammo to expose the eye, then dump all your shotgun and magnum ammo into them to kill them. I don't know if I'm just super-unlucky with positioning but they are also just impossible to bypass in the two areas they turn up. For those of you getting past them what did you do? I'm at Leon A.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

use the smg or handgun to pop a pustule or three so they fall down then hit them with one flame round? if you plan ahead of time you only need to permanently kill the two in the hallway heading to the dispersal control room and maybe the one thats standing near the sublevel hatch if you input the codes ahead of time, and on the way out you can stun the ones that drop from the ceiling long enough to run by with one shot.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I don't know if the plant guys ever permanently die unless you burn them. Their bulbs will keep regrowing.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm playing REmake Jill on the Gcube for the first time in like 15 years and yeah, shits way tougher than I remember. I'm having to knife and juke everything since ammo is so scarce, and Jill drops to caution every time the wind blows. But man, the game's design and atmosphere is amazing, and the graphics are still impressive on my CRT. This is still the pinnacle of Resident Evil imo.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Pierson posted:

G-mutants suck and are making me want to not play. You need to waste ammo to expose the eye, then dump all your shotgun and magnum ammo into them to kill them. I don't know if I'm just super-unlucky with positioning but they are also just impossible to bypass in the two areas they turn up. For those of you getting past them what did you do? I'm at Leon A.

If they're the type that's waiting under the water, wait til youre close but not too close and pop their arm with a single round. In their animation of jumping up, you can walk past. If they're walking towards you either just take the grab and spit since it doesn't do damage and actually getting poisoned seems random and kinda low for Leon in my experiences. Or try running past after burning an escape knife or grenade. Or shoot them just enough to stun them so you can run by. Once you get the flamethrower they die easy with a little spray and pray.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can cheese some of the G-Adults by getting out of the water. They'll spend a little time literally despawning that you can use to shoot them or reset their position.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Man I'm bad at these sorts of games. Still haven't beaten Leon A yet. On my second attempt and have 32 saves. Just got back into the police station. I'm outright cheesing it at this point and if I run into a Licker I just reload my game and go get the jump on it. I'm the master of shooting right between the zombies' legs though :D. Still having tons of fun and I have a whole other character I haven't started! Also haven't fought Mr X at all.

Too bad you can't reload your guns in the menu like in the old game. At least I don't think you can. Hate having 1 round left in my gun but can't do a drat thing about it.

VV Oh that will help me a lot then. Somehow I missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

there's a button for reloading